Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

That's white van drivers in an nutshell. They are the most aggressive and selfish cunts on the road, worse than taxi's, lorries and Audi drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sigma X posted:

Is that showing how much of a fuckhead the van driver is, or how much of a fuckhead the pickup driver is?
It's not a pickup, it'a a grey-import Hilux Surf (4Runner). Why does this matter? Because for some unknown reason, they really seem to attract twattish drivers. I have absolutely zero idea why, but there's just something about them that means if you see someone driving one, there is a higher likelihood than with the equivalent Landcruiser or whatever that they're going to do something to make you mutter "Knob" to yourself.

The van driver really shouldn't have gone for that overtake, but the Toyota accelerating to block him is unmitigated, self-righteous road-captain cuntishness of the first order.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think we have to be missing some toyota fuckary that was not inlcuded.

turtleluvr
Apr 19, 2015

"mhhr mmmrr mhhh mhhm"

superdylan posted:

So you were following too close and couldn't dodge a road hazard in time? 5-6 car lengths in at best 1.5 seconds at 50mph.

It was in the middle of the lane, so there wasn't any "dodging" it. And, yes, of course in hindsight I would have been farther back. Since moving to California, 5-6 car lengths seems like a lot of room since most people follow at about 0.5 car lengths, even at 65mph.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought 1 car length per 10mph was basically the "recommended following distance"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Saw a really minor hit and run in the mirror on my way home today. Some dude way behind me was cruising down the center turn lane to pass all the backed-up traffic and got slightly bumped in the front fender by a red car who was coming out of a driveway and squeezing between stopped cars. The guy in the red car promptly took off into traffic when the other guy pulled into a driveway. I didn't bother to stop myself because it didn't look like there was any damage at all, it would probably have taken me twenty minutes or more to turn around and go back in that horrible traffic, and I didn't have anything useful to contribute anyway (no rear cam, and too far away to see a plate or any other details besides "red economy sedan"). Besides, the dude kind of deserved a little comeuppance for cruising in the turn lane anyway (even if bumping and running is the bigger douche move).

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

superdylan posted:

So you were following too close and couldn't dodge a road hazard in time? 5-6 car lengths in at best 1.5 seconds at 50mph.

Went to see the local C&C this Saturday, they had police presence there at the start and lots of reminders to not drive like a jackass and cause them to lose their spot. Then when I left I saw this Porsche that just couldn't wait to floor it, followed by an R8 racing him on the onramp, cutting off a semi truck and braking, then zooming off in the left lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iMBSZ388hM

Oh god, that's right before...god I know that place, I can't remember if that's before 205 Portland or somewhere around Seatac, I think it's the Portland area. Nice job cutting off the hazmat truck though.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Only thing white van driver did wrong was to not beat the dude in the 4runner in the head with the bottle, which I hope was full of piss.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InterceptorV8 posted:

Only thing white van driver did wrong was to not beat the dude in the 4runner in the head with the bottle, which I hope was full of piss.
I don't think I like you trucking around anymore.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

I don't think I like you trucking around anymore.

You don't know how many times I've tried to come around someone sandbagging it only to have them speed up and cut me off, then once I've pulled behind them they start sandbagging again. It's illegal as gently caress here to do what they guy (in the 4runner) did. I've been on the other end of that poo poo as well, and let me tell you going three loving wide on a two line really makes you pissed off. You come around a corner to find a idiot over the double yellow doing a illegal pass on a two lane and let me know how you feel.

Speaking of which.

Someone is getting a free ride to college thanks to me.

I'm hammer down in a two lane with lots of passing space, and I'm on the fog line so the cars that want to do 100mph in a 70 can. This guy behind me really wants to pass, but doesn't want to pass and keeps bobbing out and tucking back in for no reason, the other lane is clear, and it's dotted for passing pleasure.

NOPE, ain't gonna pass, no way no how.

So we are coming up on a speed zone and a town. 70 to 55 drop, you know the drill.

I'm getting ready to put out the flaps and start slowing up, entering a double yellow AND no passing zone. I'm loaded up with refined ore and I'm going to be hanging a left, Commander Dumbass figures this is now the perfect time to loving pass me. Oh yeah, there is also traffic in the other lane.

Sweet baby Jesus, I'm going to be first on scene to a major loving accident, I can't wait for this poo poo-show. They hit mach 9 and barely complete the pass and I'm hard on the brakes.

:siren:IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWO THOUSAND AND FIFTEEN, I LEECHED AN IMAGE FROM ANGELFIRE:siren:

Turns out the car they almost get into a head-on with is a NHP officer who pretty much pulls off a awesome screamin' ebrake turn. And runs them the gently caress down right quick. I am not sure of how many fines they got, but I clocked them at 82mph in a 55mph zone while passing over a double yellow in a marked and signed no passing zone and cutting off a commercial rig. I then thought I was going to get free ringside tickets to a epic beat-down but that Californian knew they was hosed 6 ways to sunday and just pulled over before the officer even caught up to them.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 19, 2015

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Sigma X posted:

Is that showing how much of a fuckhead the van driver is, or how much of a fuckhead the pickup driver is?

All I got out of that is if you have a dickhead behind you make sure you keep an eye on them so you can lock your doors if you see them come out.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I actually know that guy in the HiLux. He's a friend of the guy i used to work next to, i worked on that car a couple times. That road (Hendon Lane) is a couple miles from me and another mate i used to work next to lives on it, at the end where the video starts.

Can't speak for the van driver, but the HiLux guy is a terminal idiot, and he can't drive for poo poo. (I knew this without the video.)

spog posted:

Showing you what driving in London is like.

Pretty much, yeah. As as someone who drives a van (A Crafter, like the one in the video.) around London i can promise you that other drivers will piss you off more than this daily.

Uthor posted:

Well, I can think of worse things to tail gate than a big pile of fluffy carpeting...

I can assure you that poo poo is loving solid when it's rolled up tight like that. That poo poo can go through a windscreen and crush someone into their seat.

I generally take red and white warning triangles and flashing lights as a warning to stay the gently caress away. Just that 1 in a thousand people needs to see it right up close for themself!

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 19, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zwnNsi3CQ

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On my way to work this morning I saw a late 2000's Focus sedan tailgating a garbage truck. I'm talking tailgating so close, it looked like the garbage truck was towing him.

I will never understand people.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Maybe Letterman's last show put them in the mood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFp9hkb-ok&t=75s

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

The Midniter posted:

On my way to work this morning I saw a late 2000's Focus sedan tailgating a garbage truck. I'm talking tailgating so close, it looked like the garbage truck was towing him.

I will never understand people.

You see people do that here with bulk haulers and trucks going to the London Incinerator.

You can see stuff dripping out the trucks' tailgates. Why the gently caress would you want to be near them??? :stonk:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mooseykins posted:

You see people do that here with bulk haulers and trucks going to the London Incinerator.

You can see stuff dripping out the trucks' tailgates. Why the gently caress would you want to be near them??? :stonk:

Maybe they are on a diet.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Maybe they are on a diet.

That would definitely put you off your food. :barf:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Re: front plates - real cops in my city don't give a poo poo but the parking nannies ticket you for it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

blk posted:

Re: front plates - real cops in my city don't give a poo poo but the parking nannies ticket you for it.

Denver?

I've actually seen a traffic cop care about a front plate once. I was riding in a friend's Evo 10 as we were driving around town. The car had a front plate displayed on the OEM front mount, which is offset to one side. We pull up to a stop light, and shortly thereafter a cop pulls up next to us, on the side opposite from the front plate. When the light went green, the cop pulled back, and pulled us over. He immediately claimed there was no front plate (we were unsure how he made this determination having not been in-front of us), to which we got out of the car and pointed it out to him.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Portland. The Miata is the only car that I tend to take downtown and I just took the plate off of it. I'm going to see what happens when I leave it on the dash next time. Since I leave the car unlocked (or top down for shorter periods of time) it might be stolen, but hopefully everyone here is too busy stealing bikes instead.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

They do care in CO. In Broomfield the police will drive through the parking lot of my apartment complex and write fix-it tickets for cars missing front plates.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah they can be strict in CO. I drove my last convertible for 5 years with no front plate, but almost never parked it on the street in the city. Just last week a friend got a no front plate ticket while parked on the street in front of his house.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_djD49CgNZo

:argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How can you be that oblivious to what's around you? :psyduck:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Always surprised they didn't fireaxe that clown.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, if that was the US you would have seen a firetruck push a car into the intersection.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Negromancer posted:

Yea, if that was the US you would have seen a firetruck push a car into the intersection.

Hell, some departments have a reinforced bumper on their trucks just in case.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Negromancer posted:

I loving wish they did that here. So much.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Negromancer posted:

drat right, then we would use the city, street designer, fire truck, alarm company, etc for any and all pre-existing possible 'damages'. :911:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Crotch Fruit posted:

drat right, then we would use the city, street designer, fire truck, alarm company, etc for any and all pre-existing possible 'damages'. :911:

They can smash your windows in if you are blocking a fire hydrant, without repercussions, they might have leeway to ram you out of the way if lives are at stake.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

EightBit posted:

They can smash your windows in if you are blocking a fire hydrant, without repercussions, they might have leeway to ram you out of the way if lives are at stake.

Pretty much this. Tho recently there was a story where someone parked their car IN THE loving DRIVEWAY of the firehouse blocking their truck in. One of the firefighters did not like this and made a fake call that they were sure would call their truck out(some special response truck, can't remember all the details) just so the they could ram the car out of the way. Everything was fine until they realized that it was one of the firefighters who made the fake call. Lots of punishment for the guy who made the call, but I am pretty sure the owner of the car did not get anything out of them because they were parked like an rear end in a top hat.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I think this was covered in this thread already. Firetruck pushes retard out of the way, retard receives bill to repair firetruck bumper.

I may be off base on this, may have been a different thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They should have moved to one side earlier. However:

Over here, with the red-light cameras, they'll still book you even if you move through one to let a fire engine or ambulance past. The only time you're allowed to do it is if specifically instructed to do so by a copper. It's a loving infantile, lovely thing to sit there and go :colbert: "Going through a red is an absolute offence, sixty quid and three points sunshine" in response, but unless they stop that nonsense, I can't blame people for not moving.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

They should have moved to one side earlier. However:

Over here, with the red-light cameras, they'll still book you even if you move through one to let a fire engine or ambulance past. The only time you're allowed to do it is if specifically instructed to do so by a copper. It's a loving infantile, lovely thing to sit there and go :colbert: "Going through a red is an absolute offence, sixty quid and three points sunshine" in response, but unless they stop that nonsense, I can't blame people for not moving.

Even if that's true, looks like he had quite a lot of room to move forward up and over the stop bar and give the truck room to get through without triggering any red-light camera at that intersection. Just move as far to the right as possible and up about 10 feet or so and the truck could have gone through no problem.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dee eight posted:

I think this was covered in this thread already. Firetruck pushes retard out of the way, retard receives bill to repair firetruck bumper.

This is brilliant.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Even if that's true, looks like he had quite a lot of room to move forward up and over the stop bar and give the truck room to get through without triggering any red-light camera at that intersection. Just move as far to the right as possible and up about 10 feet or so and the truck could have gone through no problem.
Yep, in that instance he could have, but it's not always an option here is what I was saying, thanks to idiocy in how they apply the rules.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Yep, in that instance he could have, but it's not always an option here is what I was saying, thanks to idiocy in how they apply the rules.

If you have a BMW you can actually take priority over emergency vehicles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK9dcw5sJIU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

This is basically a perfect example of what I hated about my experience in England.

It's a country of middle managers and bureaucrats, and that type of thing is the exact result of that culture.

(every other country sucks too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Krakkles posted:

This is basically a perfect example of what I hated about my experience in England.

It's a country of middle managers and bureaucrats wankers, and that type of thing is the exact result of that culture.

(every other country sucks too)