Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Furiosa's grease makeup was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lotish posted:

As I watched this movie for the second time, I found myself thinking that if you told me the movie took place on Mars, I'd believe you.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. Its a testament to how great the film is and how expertly crafted it is that if you changed many of the details around (characters, names, locations, etc) you still end up with an amazing film. Hell, even if you don't speak a lick of English and there were no subtitles, I don't think you'd enjoy the film any less. It may be the 4th in a series but it does not lean on any prior knowledge of the world or anything. Just a standalone masterpiece film.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

AndyElusive posted:

With that said, I hope I'm wrong, because the idea of more of this has me grinning ear to ear.

hell yeah

be near impossible to top this though, hopefully they try something just as crazy but different. maybe something more like The Raid with foot chases/running battles in the wreck of city culminating with a straight up battle scene, I trust they have much better ideas then my stupid rear end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So for anyone still handwringing about the possibility of future Mad Max movies scrapped due to this movie not getting top spot:

http://www.avclub.com/article/george-miller-suggests-theres-plenty-gas-left-mad--219589

We already know there are comics coming, this doesn't mean further movies will be made.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

feedmyleg posted:

We already know there are comics coming, this doesn't mean further movies will be made.

Miller has already submitted ideas, and Hardy is on contract for 2-3 more movies. Assuming this does not inexplicably stop making money over Memorial Day Weekend, it will easily be profitable and there is no reason for the studio to refuse.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Crappy Jack posted:

I do like the imagery of The People Eater at some point realizing that they're using all his precious guzzoline to fuel a loving flamethrower guitar, and angrily glaring before reaching over to mark it down on an expense sheet.

They should've had a scene where he's screaming at Coma to pipe down while he does bookkeeping...

... On a ledger made of human skin of those that couldn't settle their debt :black101:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Lotish posted:

As I watched this movie for the second time, I found myself thinking that if you told me the movie took place on Mars, I'd believe you.
Mad Max Of Mars?

poo poo, now I was Frazetta was still alive to do Mad Max paintings.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think the only question is how long will Miller continue to make these movies. With a successful box office this summer and near-unanimous critical acclaim, there's zero chance that we've seen the last Mad Max film.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Vagabundo posted:

So for anyone still handwringing about the possibility of future Mad Max movies scrapped due to this movie not getting top spot:

http://www.avclub.com/article/george-miller-suggests-theres-plenty-gas-left-mad--219589

Mad Max being used as Outback Steakhouse mascot would be great. "Outback Steakhouse, no rules, just madness..."

They mentioned maybe doing an anime prequel, which would be neat, but I have higher hopes:

An underrated strength of the series is that it doesn't rely on continuity or back stories. This is a welcome change since almost every film these days assumes you've seem 3+ other films up until that point. Having sequels stand on their own helps people get into it halfway through.

One aspect I think they could explore in a sequel is the nature of Max and Furiosa as legends. Maybe it takes place decades later, and the Road Warrior Returns, with Tom Hardy and all, but is he really the same Max, or simply some drifter so enthralled by the campfire tales of Max he 'becomes' him? Is Max the same Max in every tale, or a blank archetype ?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

There's no way that the movies that come after Fury Road will be anywhere as good as Fury Road itself. This movie cannot be topped by sequels. It will stand alone in the barren wasteland of cinema as arguably the greatest entry in the Mad Max mythology.

Maybe next time they'll have... TWO CAR CHASES?!?!?!?!?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No. Put a bullet in her head. Stop the rig. And I shall personally carry you into Valhalla, where you will rise again, shiny and chrome.

*spray*
*jump, run, trip, fall, loses gun*

MEDIOCRE

That's up there with Frankly Scarlet, I made him an offer he can't refuse, Hey Vasquez you ever been mistaken for a man (no have you), for greatest, most memorable lines in movie history. :colbert:

like seriously, the entire theater I was in lost it at this scene and we all laughed for a good minute

I've been That Guy ever since calling people MEDIOCRE and no one gets it, it's great

best scene after the nitro spiking race IMO

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

See that's what I mean! How does George Miller amp up what they were able to do in Fury Road and make a compelling and worth while follow up to it?

I fear we're just going to end up with a Matrix Reloaded instead of an Empire Strikes Back.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Oh God, it happened, tactical realism came to Mad Max.

Neo Rasa posted:

:(

Honestly I enjoy it because the movies are so clearly designed to be vague but people refuse to accept it. We have to organize and classify everything to enjoy it. We have truly not learned anything from these movies, humanity is doomed, game over.

Siets posted:

This is how we review movies in TYOOL 2015. A movie is judged not on its themes, performances, or storytelling, but on its tactical realism. Verisimilitude > All.

Didn't you get the memo? :goonsay:

Are you guys serious? There's 74 pages of people GUSHING over the flamethrowing man and the cinematography and the performance of Theron and the nice handling of the minimal storytelling, and ONE poster comes in asking about some meaningless detail, and you guys cut in with the hysterics lamenting how "we" are now immediately? Unwad yer panties and stop being thread police to the one outlier of a thousand voices.

AndyElusive posted:

There's no way that the movies that come after Fury Road will be anywhere as good as Fury Road itself. This movie cannot be topped by sequels. It will stand alone in the barren wasteland of cinema as arguably the greatest entry in the Mad Max mythology.

To be fair, when they said "we're making Mad Max 4" in 2010, everyone pretty much said this with Road Warrior instead of Fury Road. If it's the same crew and the same passion in effort but bigger/crazier, it isn't that unlikely.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Panfilo posted:

Mad Max being used as Outback Steakhouse mascot would be great. "Outback Steakhouse, no rules, just madness..."

One of their items has always been the Mad Max Burger so they're already halfway there!!!

I would totally watch another Furiosa movie or any Hardy as Max movie that's totally disconnected from this one. :)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

AndyElusive posted:

See that's what I mean! How does George Miller amp up what they were able to do in Fury Road and make a compelling and worth while follow up to it?

I fear we're just going to end up with a Matrix Reloaded instead of an Empire Strikes Back.

Yeah, but they already made that, and it was Beyond Thunderdome, so hopefully they just, like, worked that out of their system and they can just go back to making amazing awesome movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Electromax posted:

Are you guys serious? There's 74 pages of people GUSHING over the flamethrowing man and the cinematography and the performance of Theron and the nice handling of the minimal storytelling, and ONE poster comes in asking about some meaningless detail, and you guys cut in with the hysterics lamenting how "we" are now immediately? Unwad yer panties and stop being thread police to the one outlier of a thousand voices.

Going by this post I don't think I'm the person being hysterical about it but okay. :)

Of course it's also difficult to argue the realism of the flame throwing guitar guy on the speaker trucks since it's AAAALLLL REEEEAAAALL!!!!!! :D

Also speaking of "Max Max 4" in 2010. Even before that, I had a lot of respect for Heath Ledger as a person because years earlier he turned down playing SPIDER-MAN so that he could instead play the grown up Feral Child when the movie was still going to be about him leading the Great Northern Tribe and Max showing up as a mysterious drifter/minor player.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The bolt cutter was the true hero of this film.

Seriously that thing saw an insane amount of use.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The bolt cutter was the true hero of this film.

Seriously that thing saw an insane amount of use.

Indiana Jones has a whip. Marty McFly has a skateboard.

Max Rockatansky has a set of bolt cutters.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be fair, bolt cutters are really useful and I've used them a ton IRL

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The game does lend a bit of credence to the ocean's being gone theory.

http://i.imgur.com/Hv3qWXR.jpg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

A Doof Wagon with a full orchestra and opera singers?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
During the last ice age, sea levels were ~400 feet lower than modern day. After a nuclear war located in the northern hemisphere, a nuclear winter has been theorized to set off a new ice age. A drop in sea levels of another ~400 feet would recede the coast line by miles, past the continental shelf.

There, it's explained, shut the gently caress up about the oceans.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MinibarMatchman posted:

I still can't loving get over "HE WAS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY"
That little scene is sad as gently caress, and makes me feel so bad for Rictus.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

During the last ice age, sea levels were ~400 feet lower than modern day. After a nuclear war located in the northern hemisphere, a nuclear winter has been theorized to set off a new ice age. A drop in sea levels of another ~400 feet would recede the coast line by miles, past the continental shelf.

There, it's explained, shut the gently caress up about the oceans.

They boiled away in NUCLEAR FIRE :black101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheJoker138 posted:

They boiled away in NUCLEAR FIRE :black101:

That is physically impossible :science:

goddamnit now you got me doing it :negative:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure driving through a sand storm full of fire tornadoes is too, who gives a a gently caress? It's rad and makes the world seem even more hosed up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

moths posted:

Is this a serious post? Tell me it's a serious post.

It's a loving Baron Bifford post. He's done this same tired, contrarian, willfully dense bullshit in at least one other thread I can remember and got his rear end probated for it.

TerminalSaint posted:

Mad Max Of Mars?

You, uh, you got a bigger version of this?

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 18, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

VikingSkull posted:

THE FLAMES BURNED SO HOT THE WATER EVAPORATED OFF THE EARTH AND WAS CARRIED OFF BY SOLAR WINDS AND THE EARTH WAS LEFT SCORCHED AND BARREN :black101:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Real talk, I think the best possible direction would be what they did last time, ie with this movie they remade Road Warrior, and with the next they remake Beyond Thunderdome, only this time it doesn't suck.

I mean, this movie spent basically it's entire runtime on the road, so really having the next movie take place in one of these crazy rear end cities makes sense, have it be like Bartertown but way bigger in scope, perhaps using the shell of one of the old cities for this new one. Perhaps it's two cities and they use a still working train to transport supplies between them, boom, now it's a train heist movie, same thing Thunderdome did only a million times better.

See, if he just made another movie with cars on a desert, then it'll be derivate and honestly I don't see how they can do it better than Fury Road, so really the answer is not to do it better, but do something completely different, and in that respect they have a huge slate of potentially interesting ideas to follow up this movie with.

At the very least, it'll be more crazy, as cramped quarters and onfoot chases ala the opening of Fury Road are just naturally more disorienting than huge, open spaces are.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Just give us more of the same because it was awesome.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

THE FLAMES BURNED SO HOT THE WATER EVAPORATED OFF THE EARTH AND WAS CARRIED OFF BY SOLAR WINDS AND THE EARTH WAS LEFT SCORCHED AND BARREN :black101:

This guy gets it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

personally I believe the Bullet Farmer shot all the water

:colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

[strapped to the crucifix on Nux's Chevy]

Max: "They take my blood now they take my loving car!"

Max seems way more upset about the Interceptor being stolen than he does being drained of blood and taken on a suicidal demolition derby.

Also when he actually yells at Slit for nearly taking his head off with a spear. It's the kind of humorous annoyance you sometimes see in real life.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

For a source of Boats in the desert imagery, look up te Aral Sea; it vanished over the course of 40 years due to mismanagement of the rivers that fed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-a0c4856e-1019-4937-96fd-8714d70a48f7

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You, uh, you got a bigger version of this?

Sorry, I just threw it together with crappy GIS results.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Allow me to summarize that Daily Dot review:

"I prefer telling to showing. I'm unaware that film is a visual medium."

No, it's more like what the characters did and how their civilization worked or came about made no sense at all so it required an explanation.

The difference between the Road Warrior and Fury Road is that everything that happened in the Road Warrior is at least possible for the most part. Fury Road was full of all kinds of nonesense. I guess if people prefer fantasy to realism then Fury Road is more suited to their taste. But I prefer the Road Warrior approach where I see the way they live and at least understand how it's possible.

-senses lizard approaching, focuses chi, stomps, kicks sideways scooping it to hand, eats
-gets superhuman nux kicked in the side, turns right side up and flies 6 ft to another rig
-fighting grandmas that couldn't even lift their weighted down bikes if they tipped, but somehow are pro at dune ridin
-girl waits at the top of a tower nude as bait all day every day i guess? what? sunburn?
-impossible civilizations constructed in the middle of no where after the apocalypse complete with massive machinery somehow hoisted to the top of cliffs with massive custom made gears and platforms
-water that you'd assume was finite but when the good guys win they just open the pipes
-tracked vehicle is shown driving around a bit, then max blows it up off screen somehow in a nod to a movie that has been ripped off so many times that it's hacky
-max is retarded for half the movie, and then does some stuff later on, should have called the movie anything but max

TerminalSaint posted:

Mad Max Of Mars?

This would be the movie poster but then it turns out the movie is about the alien girl and max is a caged retard for an hour and a half.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

durr hurr I am unable to suspend my disbelief and enjoy things blowing up beautifully to a metal soundtrack for 2 hours, everything has to be high art and/or laid out for me piecemeal, i have no imagination to fill in gaps

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Ramsus posted:

-senses lizard approaching, focuses chi, stomps, kicks sideways scooping it to hand, eats

this is actually awesome and very spaghetti western

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

THIS :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I think this is my favorite review so far - MAD MAX IS A MOVIE MADE WITH CAPSLOCK ON

• Locked thread