Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, after seeing like the third attempted Digimon World Dawn/Dusk LP I decided to try the game out. It's pretty fun, if not a bit high on the random encounter level.

But a little thing baffles me. Armor Digivolution is in the game, and you're given the Digiegg of Love early on, and Hawkmon is an early game Digimon.

Yet Halsemon isn't in the game, heck looking it up the only Armor Digimon that appeared in the show that are available are Flamedramon and Magnamon. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

So, after seeing like the third attempted Digimon World Dawn/Dusk LP I decided to try the game out. It's pretty fun, if not a bit high on the random encounter level.

But a little thing baffles me. Armor Digivolution is in the game, and you're given the Digiegg of Love early on, and Hawkmon is an early game Digimon.

Yet Halsemon isn't in the game, heck looking it up the only Armor Digimon that appeared in the show that are available are Flamedramon and Magnamon. :psyduck:

*Shakes Fist* DAVIS

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Davis is the worst google boy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure Magnamon is the only armor digimon that isn't 100% jogress fodder, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Classy Hydra posted:

Grottomon's design-shape looks a little off to me, but on an individual basis I actually like it a lot for what it's worth. His hat, big honkin' nose and shoulderpads make an interesting profile, and I can totally look at it and say, "yep, this is a dwarf". That said, the tats are 100% necessary to make him fit in with the other spirit warriors; without that touch he ironically doesn't look 'mythical' enough, despite being based on a mythological creature. He's even got a red cap!

Gigasmon is fine, but he's too small to visually accomplish what he's supposed to be, and his horn-nose thing doesn't work very well as a character element. His tats are a lot more naturally ingrained in the design though, so that element looks a lot less tacked on.

This episode also demonstrates Frontier's almost signature "bizarre setting of the day" setup, with a vertical village serving as as a unique battle backdrop. I'll admit, sometimes the fights are kinda fun if only because the settings are really weird; earlier seasons of Digimon played with that as well, but generally not for very long.

well Digimon has always had scale issues with various Digimon species(like how in Savers they made BomberNanimon/Citramon absolutely gigantic) so it's not surprising that Gigasmon comes off as a tad small, if he ever gets used in another iteration of the franchise I wouldn't be surprised if he was made a little bigger

also one thing that often gets speculated by fans is if treating the Legendary Warriors as regular Digimon and using them in a normal evolution line(with H Spirits being treated as Adult stage, B Spirits as Perfect Stage, and the various Hybrid Spirits and the Ancient Warriors as Ultimate Stage Digimon), what Child Stage works best with them(Fire and Light have it easy as they have pre-existing Child stages to go with them, Flamon for Fire, and Strabimon for Light), here's what I feel works well for Earth and Metal for example;

Neamon-> Grottomon-> Gigasmon-> AncientVolcamon

Bokomon-> Mercuremon-> Sephirothmon-> AncientWisemon

Dr Pepper posted:

the video games have some weird rear end evolution lines, some of them incredibly half assed, some prominent examples would be the Starter Digimon from Digimon World 3, cause while they maintain a vague thematic unity across their main evolutions(guns for Koemon, blades for Kotemon, and beasts for Bearmon), it's still a visual mess even by Digimon standards, here's my idea for better lines for them for example;

Koemon-> Hanumon-> Gokuwumon-> Zamielmon

Kotemon-> Musayamon-> Butenmon-> Tactimon

Bearmon-> Gryzmon-> Astamon-> Callismon

I'll admit I like making these lines when I'm bored(plus I'll admit I spend way to much time on the With The Will forum, and they love speculating about this sort of thing) and have made a lot of them, here's a bunch more http://imgur.com/a/VlJMy

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just spent 10 minutes ranting about Frontier into my bathroom mirror and trying to convince myself to continue my Trip Reports.

I hope you jerks are happy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Numbers posted:

I just spent 10 minutes ranting about Frontier into my bathroom mirror and trying to convince myself to continue my Trip Reports.

the question is, are you happy doing these, cause that's more important here

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Some Numbers posted:

Very.

Feel free to quit. If you're, y'know.

A quitter.

Or you could suck it up and watch subpar children's cartoons for our vicarious two-minute-hate like God intended.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 19, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Let the rage flow freely :unsmigghh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

the question is, are you happy doing these, cause that's more important here

So far, yeah, getting to rant about the problems in Frontier has been pretty cathartic, but I know that the next few episodes are really bad and I'm losing my drive.

What I might do is skip the atrocious episodes and review the more palatable ones.

I really do want to rant about some of the stuff that happens in later episodes.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you hate a show enough that you have to talk into a bathroom mirror to psyche yourself up to continue it then you should probably stop watching the show.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Some Numbers posted:

So far, yeah, getting to rant about the problems in Frontier has been pretty cathartic, but I know that the next few episodes are really bad and I'm losing my drive.

What I might do is skip the atrocious episodes and review the more palatable ones.

I really do want to rant about some of the stuff that happens in later episodes.

That's a good idea. There is no need to dissect every bad episode when most of us here know the faults of Frontier very well. Skip those episode you have no interest in and review the ones you deem especially interesting/bad/good etc.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzpQAE2Tn5o

:sigh:

This is never coming, isn't it?

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:sigh:

This is never coming, isn't it?

I, too, wish I had a game worth playing on the Vita.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tri website has the full staff now

http://digimon-adventure.net/staff/

The animation staff's pretty good actually.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Site graphic accurately sums up my opinion of Digimon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aers posted:

Tri website has the full staff now

http://digimon-adventure.net/staff/

The animation staff's pretty good actually.

Craptacular! posted:

Site graphic accurately sums up my opinion of Digimon:

Yet at least two of those characters have the exact same face :ohdear:.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Supposedly a PS4 version was listed on the Canada Amazon website. I will believe

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I'm just waiting on the Fanslation of Re: Digitize to finish up.

it should be getting there soon.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
The first four seasons of Digimon got uploaded to crunchyroll, just in time for me to shamelessly binge before the new series comes out.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

now I have a convenient place to watch tamers.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
US Netflix has had the first 3 seasons for months.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I don't watch enough movies to justify that poo poo. pretty much gone full weeb at this point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nehezir posted:

I don't watch enough movies to justify that poo poo. pretty much gone full weeb at this point.

Meh. Its got enough anime to justify $8/month. For quality stuff, off the top of my head it has FMA: Brotherhood, Madoka (+ all three movies), The Devil is a Part Timer, Fate/Zero, and Death Note. :shrug:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. Its got enough anime to justify $8/month. For quality stuff, off the top of my head it has FMA: Brotherhood, Madoka (+ all three movies), The Devil is a Part Timer, Fate/Zero, and Death Note. :shrug:

2/4 of those is squarely on my "not particularly good" list, 1 I kind of flipflop on, and the last I haven't seen.

none of them is even half as exciting as say...GaoGaiGar though.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

It also has Gurren Lagann. :kamina:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

phourniner posted:

It also has Gurren Lagann. :kamina:

I'd be sold if it had Getter Robo. TTGL is pretty much spent with me at this point.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Hulu's had the first four Digimon seasons for a while, and you don't need a subscription to watch them, but there's ads even if you subscribe. I kind of wish they had Savers, but that was there for a time then got removed at some point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Quincytbb posted:

The first four seasons of Digimon got uploaded to crunchyroll, just in time for me to shamelessly binge before the new series comes out.

US only. :downsgun:

I sure love paying CR more to get less. Really cools my coffee and makes my cornflakes soggy.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Guys, the fan patch for Digimon World RE: Digitize has been finished at last. I'd share link but I think it would be :filez:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Guys, the fan patch for Digimon World RE: Digitize has been finished at last. I'd share link but I think it would be :filez:

Oh my god, I thought this would never happen. I'm so glad. Sadly I have like no time whatsoever until Thusday for games, but once that hits I'll be definitely trying it out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What was that game?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

What was that game?

A sort of re-imagining of the first Digimon World game but with a proper story and character designs by the Durarara/Devil Survivor guy. It's good and has a manga semi-adaptation that's running now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

A sort of re-imagining of the first Digimon World game but with a proper story and character designs by the Durarara/Devil Survivor guy. It's good and has a manga semi-adaptation that's running now.

Sounds cool

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

The one thing I cannot ever excuse, EVER, the dub for is the god awful music changes. If there was a way to get the dub lines with the Japanese music, you'd have my favorite version of the show.

It's been forever since I saw it, but someone uploaded a dub on Youtube that was done by another country and kept all of the Japanese music. The voices were all in English but clearly had a pretty deep accent to them, and for the life of me I've never been able to find it again.

Also, Tentomon line is the best of the original 8. Accept no substitutes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It's been forever since I saw it, but someone uploaded a dub on Youtube that was done by another country and kept all of the Japanese music. The voices were all in English but clearly had a pretty deep accent to them, and for the life of me I've never been able to find it again.

Might've been a Singapore dub. They keep all the original music including the OP/ED. I don't know if they did Adventure, but they definitely did Tamers and Frontier at least.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

:agreed:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I tried it and it's crashing whenever I put on my name. gently caress this!!!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I tried it and it's crashing whenever I put on my name. gently caress this!!!

There's a post on the blog mentioning that certain emulators/firmwares/whatever allow you to put in names longer than 8 letters, which will mess things up. Looks like the blog is down as of my going to check the exact wording, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

There's a post on the blog mentioning that certain emulators/firmwares/whatever allow you to put in names longer than 8 letters, which will mess things up. Looks like the blog is down as of my going to check the exact wording, though.

I entered the basic one....

e: It was patched.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 27, 2015