Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Then wait till the game's released so we have a firmer grasp on what works and how.

I really, really don't want to buy an Xbone as well because I'd just upgraded my PC and the only console exclusives that even exist anymore are on WiiU and around once a year on PS4. That and I'm pretty sure the Kinect wants to steal my soul.

The Kinect is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
drat near tried to drag Harmonix down with it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly I think if I restricted myself to only the songs I could play no matter my mood or level of inebriation and could positively not do without, I think I could get by with 100 bucks.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm pretty sure for 98% of this thread it's a better deal to bite the bullet and get a Bone on sale this fall for $300 or $350 if you want to keep playing Rock Band, and probably 100% of the thread if they sort out instrument compatibility.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Kaboobi posted:

I'm pretty sure for 98% of this thread it's a better deal to bite the bullet and get a Bone on sale this fall for $300 or $350 if you want to keep playing Rock Band, and probably 100% of the thread if they sort out instrument compatibility.

That's my plan if they finalize compat.

Wonder how they're gonna get all the RB DLC songs to transfer when they weren't available for transfer when they did Dance Central Spotlight. Do they have to manually redo the dance mappings for Kinect 2?
Wouldn't they also have to remaster the dlc for RB4?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

w00tazn posted:

Wouldn't they also have to remaster the dlc for RB4?

No, since we got a peak during one of the IGN news things at how they're building charts for the new game, and it's exactly the same as the old game with some new stuff added on top. Like, they were using PKsage's site as a resource and everything. So at the very least, porting the old DLC over will not be as time consuming as rebuilding it all from scratch.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They said they need to repackage them in a new format, so yeah, they can't just throw up the old DLC files and make them work, they have to do a little bit of work to make them compatible.
And I assume part of that process will be baking in the RBHP stuff and metadata fixes on older DLCs.

They said they also may not have it available at launch because it's a ridiculous amount of content that has to be recreated, so it may come out in waves.

(also sorry if you're on a Sony system in Europe, as they don't seem to give a poo poo about music game DLC. The RB3 tracks released this year STILL aren't out and the Rocksmith stuff is still a mess)

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Why do people keep thinking that it's such an impossible feat to have users consume their content on different platforms? It's commonly done even in markets with entities probably *more* paranoid than Sony. The reason why HMX never thought of that is probably because they never considered a priority to address users of a future game they could end up never making that are switching consoles. And also because probably they want to accomodate their customers but up to a point: heck, it's incredible they are giving us all those songs without even asking for a one time fee, I can understand if they don't mind taking more money from people who jumped boat. By the way, if you think "Well, clearly Sony and Microsoft are far more paranoid about 'their' content than Apple" should actually have to professionally deal with Apple for just one day. :)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Kaboobi posted:

They said they need to repackage them in a new format, so yeah, they can't just throw up the old DLC files and make them work, they have to do a little bit of work to make them compatible.
And I assume part of that process will be baking in the RBHP stuff and metadata fixes on older DLCs.

They said they also may not have it available at launch because it's a ridiculous amount of content that has to be recreated, so it may come out in waves.

(also sorry if you're on a Sony system in Europe, as they don't seem to give a poo poo about music game DLC. The RB3 tracks released this year STILL aren't out and the Rocksmith stuff is still a mess)

See, if they have to create new packages and have the opportunity to fix/"remaster" authoring for RB4, that's where my questions about RB3 versions comes in. Do you put it out twice again, or only once? How would the unlocking from past purchases for that go?

Total other commentary: I hope they bring back the cash system for costume unlocks, or at least don't lock things behind stuff people might never use like pitting "save band members X times" and No Fail Mode.

Even further away from anything in the thread ...we don't really have any good songs from bands starting with the letter U, do we?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

that Umphrey's McGee song isn't GOOD but it's fun? Same with one of the Underoath songs.

I guess we really need UFO or Uriah Heep

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Or Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, The Unicorns, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Unsane, The Upper Crust, or Utopia.

I'll also accept a Todd Rundgren 24-pack.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats

Yes, this is the proper answer.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

See, if they have to create new packages and have the opportunity to fix/"remaster" authoring for RB4, that's where my questions about RB3 versions comes in. Do you put it out twice again, or only once? How would the unlocking from past purchases for that go?

I'd be surprised if they treat them any differently. Users may have bought one and not the other, in either direction, and they expect a consistent gameplay experience whether playing it in RB3 or RB4. They're different DLC packages (and were offered in different packs), I don't see a reason for Harmonix to treat them otherwise.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
The main reason that "bundling" them would make sense is so people who play online (hi) all have the same version instead of being split up. Where RB3 versions before had extra keys stuff, that's all mostly been bunked for RB4, so why still have two? I don't know if they could rig up the permissions so that either "flavor" would count to the same RB4 DLC package, but that'd be the "ideal" answer... barring it being impossible or fiscally stupid, of course.

P.S. FUCKIN' A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo4eqxTPUvQ

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gaspar Lewis posted:

The main reason that "bundling" them would make sense is so people who play online (hi) all have the same version instead of being split up. Where RB3 versions before had extra keys stuff, that's all mostly been bunked for RB4, so why still have two? I don't know if they could rig up the permissions so that either "flavor" would count to the same RB4 DLC package, but that'd be the "ideal" answer... barring it being impossible or fiscally stupid, of course.
I'd have to imagine that anyone serious about playing online would have upgraded to the RB3 versions anyway. And doesn't this only affect like 6 songs out of thousands? A couple of superfluous versions won't hurt anybody. There's also stuff like the RB1 challenges in RB3, which would only show up if all the RB1 exported songs (including the old version of Dead Or Alive) were detected.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I personally don't have any RB3 versions but know people who never got a song the first time around. And Dead or Alive makes the case that much clearer: if someone who exported RB1 wants to play that Bin Jovi song with a friend who didn't, and now can't, it would be cool for the chance to download it and have it work with your friend.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They only ever did RB3 Versions for a sampling of Queen and Bon Jovi songs, plus some RBN songs. And I can't think of any given situation where the RB3 version wasn't the better version, not just because they added keys/harmonies but also because they redid the soundmixing and redid the charts, like with Dead or Alive they actually added in that drum roll at the start that was only a single snare hit in RB1, and I want to say it's either I Want It All or I Want To Break Free that has the better guitar charting than the original release.

Frankly I can't see how anyone can play the original release of Under Pressure without harmonies and keys. That's like the goto song for parties that have people interested in either feature.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
RBN is where the basis of the problem was born, when they started doing double bass versions of the same song at the same time.

If the people I played with didn't get RB3 versions, why would I? It was in the collective interest to line up versions whenever you could, since that determined which songs you could actually play.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem was Harmonix was still selling Rock Band 2 versions in Rock Band 3 without making it easily identifiable and not offering refunds if you accidentally purchased the wrong one. So the market place is probably even more scattered then it should've been.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gaspar Lewis posted:

If the people I played with didn't get RB3 versions, why would I? It was in the collective interest to line up versions whenever you could, since that determined which songs you could actually play.

I could see where it's a problem online, so I guess that's why it's not a huge concern for me since I only ever dueled while online, and they ditched that feature in RB3 so I subsequently stopped playing online.

But when you're playing with people in the same room you absolutely want to have RB3 versions so they can have fun with them.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
At least on the Xbone, DLC is improved in terms of bundling compared to the 360 marketplace. So a piece of DLC can belong to multiple bundles and when you purchase a bundle, it just gives you a license for all the individual pieces of DLC rather than being a separate download package that has everything in it. This also means that if you buy a bundle of DLC, it would prevent you from accidentally buying individual DLC from the console marketplace that you already own again in the future.

This means that it would be technically possible for HMX to just put up a single version of Wanted Dead or Alive that is included in both a "RB1 export" bundle and a "Bon Jovi pack 01" bundle and if you bought either (or transferred ownership from last-gen) then you would have the license for the same song either way.

Who knows if that's how things are eventually going to work out or if they can do that with licensing and whatever, but I think it should at least be possible.

edit: you can see this if you take a look at the DLC for Fantasia: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Dlc/Spoonman-Soundgarden/aa7bc3c5-f985-411a-8319-058e5b6cb595

ixnay fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 19, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

farottone posted:

Why do people keep thinking that it's such an impossible feat to have users consume their content on different platforms? It's commonly done even in markets with entities probably *more* paranoid than Sony.

Name some then because I can think of approximately zero.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pirate Jet posted:

You can download a Kindle app for your Android phone, buy a book on it using your Google Play cash, download the Kindle app on your iPad, and have access to that same book.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That metaphor doesn't work because Amazon themselves specifically made a Kindle app for iOS. No such equivalent exists for the consoles. You're never going to see a Playstation app on Xbox.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pirate Jet posted:

Not sure if this is what he meant, but services like Netflix and a lot of apps with premium content have their own account system, so you get access to the same stuff on different devices.

It's hard to come up with a direct analogue for games or specific media content though. Like, if there was some movie service that offered guaranteed upgrades with every bump in TV resolution technology, I'd be the first in line. But VUDU - which offers individual digital movie purchases, independent of device - still charges different prices for the HD and "HDX" versions of a movie, so we're a long ways off from that.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
GH revealed new songs today

Royal Blood - Little Monster

Marilyn Manson - Disposable Teens

Killswitch Engage - In Due Time

Marmozets - Move Shake Hide

Of Mice & Men - Bones Exposed

Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Vista Chino - Sweet Remain

Bring Me the Horizon - Shadow Moses

Mastodon - High Road

Trivium - Strife

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Pirate Jet posted:

That metaphor doesn't work because Amazon themselves specifically made a Kindle app for iOS. No such equivalent exists for the consoles. You're never going to see a Playstation app on Xbox.

To elaborate on this, you can't actually purchase books from the Kindle app on iOS because Apple would take a 30% cut of their sales. You have to purchase the books from a web browser instead and then download them in the app. Because politics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201244870

There's also the whole iBooks lawsuit that came as some investigation around this
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/16/apple-settles-ebook-price-fixing-complaint-with-states-consumers-could-pay-450m

corporations really like making money fyi

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

In a perfect world, Rock Band would be the app. But, it's not going to happen.

Kaboobi posted:

To elaborate on this, you can't actually purchase books from the Kindle app on iOS because Apple would take a 30% cut of their sales. You have to purchase the books from a web browser instead and then download them in the app. Because politics.

hahah I forgot about that. I just didn't want to use the actual example I do that kinda thing with, buying books from Viz Manga using Amazon Coins.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Doesn't Harmonix have its own account system where you could tell it your gamertag and it'd pull down your info. They could potentially tie that to your RB library to know what you do and don't own on a particular platform.

The main problem with shared content licenses is the fact that the places in which it exists are all 3rd Party Media Providers who host their own content. Harmonix would have to figure out a way to host their own platform agnostic DLC on their own content servers and then be able to stream them down to the console from in game. And that doesn't account for the fact that you'd also need to somehow sign these packages if you want them to play well with the hyper visor.

There's at least some precedent for the latter though - Destiny can download patches direct from Bungie rather than Sony/MS and MK has the ability to download balance updates without going through the entire patch process.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

elf help book posted:

In a perfect world, Rock Band would be the app. But, it's not going to happen.

Well then we get into a semantic argument of whether consoles qualify as "computers" like PCs and phones do, which I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft want the answer to be "no."

w00tazn posted:

Doesn't Harmonix have its own account system where you could tell it your gamertag and it'd pull down your info. They could potentially tie that to your RB library to know what you do and don't own on a particular platform.

They'd then have to generate product keys for all the DLC on a new platform for you, and a) Sony and Microsoft are way more stingy with CD keys than, say, Valve are, and b) no way are they going to give out free copies of DLC for a purchase where their competitor got the 30% cut.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Minidust posted:

Not sure if this is what he meant, but services like Netflix and a lot of apps with premium content have their own account system, so you get access to the same stuff on different devices.

A better analog might be smartphone apps. Me buying an app (song) for my Android (360) on Google Play (Xbox Live) doesn't entitle me to get that app (song) on iOS (PS3).

It's hard to come up with a direct analogue for games or specific media content though. Like, if there was some movie service that offered guaranteed upgrades with every bump in TV resolution technology, I'd be the first in line. But VUDU - which offers individual digital movie purchases, independent of device - still charges different prices for the HD and "HDX" versions of a movie, so we're a long ways off from that.

Now, I have Ticket to Ride and a bunch of DLC, and if I were to buy that app on iOS (lolno), I could get that DLC only because it's tied to my Days of Wonder account, which is platform agnostic.

Now, if HMX had set it so that all purchases were tied to an account with then you could conceivably get cross-platform downloading but 1) HMX probably wasn't big enough to do that in the RB1 days 2) hell, GH never did this, and they were backed by Activision 3) this would probably kill of the ability to but stuff directly on your console, which would be a rather negative experience for most (probably not a problem now since XBone/PS4 actually have web browsers out of the box) and 4) I'm sure the console makers would their a hissyfit about losing such a revenue stream.

Edit:

toymach1ne posted:

GH revealed new songs today
Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Motherfuckers. HMX, make it up to me by putting all of Saturday Night Wrist in disc kthxbye....oh, and replace Pink Cellphone with Rocket Skates.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 19, 2015

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If they were starting fresh like GH:L, that could maaaaaaaybe work, but that also means that you wouldn't be able to use an in game store to buy your songs (since if you did that the console owners would need their cut), you'd have to likely go to some webportal that they host and purchase them and I'm sure also cause some licensing and logistical nightmares.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaboobi posted:

If they were starting fresh like GH:L, that could maaaaaaaybe work, but that also means that you wouldn't be able to use an in game store to buy your songs (since if you did that the console owners would need their cut), you'd have to likely go to some webportal that they host and purchase them and I'm sure also cause some licensing and logistical nightmares.

You're forgetting they released a Rock Band Music Store App on 360!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

You're real fuckin dumb.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

You're real fuckin dumb.

Why are you getting mad over a video game? I read it wrong, I didn't notice the console owners cut part, sorry for not having my knowledge of one of 50 music games correct. :shrug:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Why are you getting mad over a video game? I read it wrong, I didn't notice the console owners cut part, sorry for not having my knowledge of one of 50 music games correct. :shrug:

Hmm.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Abu Dave posted:

cool but anything purchased through there would mean it would be tied to your xbox live account and microsoft would get their 30% cut and it wouldn't work on a sony system

whypick1 posted:

Motherfuckers. HMX, make it up to me by putting all of Saturday Night Wrist in disc kthxbye....oh, and replace Pink Cellphone with Rocket Skates.

already on rock band
edit: whoops I thought that was the shinedown song nevermind

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 19, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaboobi posted:

cool but anything purchased through there would mean it would be tied to your xbox live account and microsoft would get their 30% cut and it wouldn't work on a sony system

Yeah my bad, I didn't think about that and was under the impression it WAS working like the iTunes store but just downloaded the 360 one!!!

e; I wish they or someone would build a feature to import a playlist of songs and then it would tell you if it's available to buy as DLC or in a game already; it sucks having to scroll through the big list every 6 months because my music taste changes! :mad:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

w00tazn posted:

The main problem with shared content licenses is the fact that the places in which it exists are all 3rd Party Media Providers who host their own content. Harmonix would have to figure out a way to host their own platform agnostic DLC on their own content servers and then be able to stream them down to the console from in game. And that doesn't account for the fact that you'd also need to somehow sign these packages if you want them to play well with the hyper visor.

There's at least some precedent for the latter though - Destiny can download patches direct from Bungie rather than Sony/MS and MK has the ability to download balance updates without going through the entire patch process.

It used to do that for rockband.com before they tore that infrastructure down, but even then it was really just score and leaderboard tracking for the most part. I highly doubt they were archiving library lists for every single user.

You couldn't even conclusively use scores as a measure either, since people could log in as themselves in local sessions and get scores playing songs they didn't own.

Also that chunk of GH:L songs looks pretty crummy overall! What a shame...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

I wish I could hate you to death :argh: