Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I've now beaten all five Ys games on Steam. I want more Ys games on Steam so I can beat them. I love this series. Keep making great games, Falcom, and XSEED, keep localizing them.

Are chances not-zero of my ever getting to play Ys IV or Ys VII on Steam?

EDIT: Also, to all the people saying "Skip Ys 1 and 2," those games are fantastic. I played them for the first time last year and Ys 2 is one of my favorite games ever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As much as I'm sure Falcom likes the direction that their Steam products are going I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to port completely new iterations of Celceta and VII. I do hope that they consider PC as a platform for future titles, though. In the meantime, you should give TitS FC a try if you haven't already.

The Hoccer minigame in Gurumin was kind of funny because the game bugged out or something where the ball slipped behind the net while I was ahead and none of the NPCs could get to it, so I just ran out the clock and won.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: Also, to all the people saying "Skip Ys 1 and 2," those games are fantastic. I played them for the first time last year and Ys 2 is one of my favorite games ever now.
:agreed:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Nate RFB posted:

As much as I'm sure Falcom likes the direction that their Steam products are going I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to port completely new iterations of Celceta and VII. I do hope that they consider PC as a platform for future titles, though. In the meantime, you should give TitS FC a try if you haven't already.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be actually willing to release a new Ys game on PC first. I'm not holding my breath, but from a business standpoint I'm sure it is making more and more sense to them to go ahead with this idea.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Blattdorf posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be actually willing to release a new Ys game on PC first. I'm not holding my breath, but from a business standpoint I'm sure it is making more and more sense to them to go ahead with this idea.

This is straight-up speculation and not based on any kind of insider info at all, but based on the rather specific way Kondo phrased that one answer to that Windows Central question, I strongly suspect a full-blown sequel to Ys Origin, or another title starring Yunica and Hugo at any rate, is at least being heavily mooted, if not in pre-production/early production. They themselves have admitted that the game sold north of 200,000 copies, data suggests that number is even higher now, it's the best-selling of the Steam Ys titles, and it sits among the upper echelons of Japanese games on Steam in terms of sales in general. The theoretical math suggests that even with sale prices and whatnot, Origin has provided Falcom with upwards of seven figures in revenue. That's spread out over a period of a couple years, but even so, that's huge. That's a fanbase. That's a base you could sell a new game to, and I'm sure they're aware of that.

Will it actually happen, I have no idea. But especially given how Yunica and Hugo have been showing up in side media all of a sudden after getting ignored for half a decade or more, I do wonder.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'd play a game starring Yunica, that would be fantastic. I'd probably be a little hesitant to play a game starring Hugo, though (unless they make him play like Aisha in Ys Seven I guess.)

Incidentally, I beat Ys Seven and moved on to Celceta now. I'm having a lot more fun with that game's systems already, but I really need to finalize what my controls are; I keep changing them!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpaceDrake posted:

This is straight-up speculation and not based on any kind of insider info at all, but based on the rather specific way Kondo phrased that one answer to that Windows Central question, I strongly suspect a full-blown sequel to Ys Origin, or another title starring Yunica and Hugo at any rate, is at least being heavily mooted, if not in pre-production/early production. They themselves have admitted that the game sold north of 200,000 copies, data suggests that number is even higher now, it's the best-selling of the Steam Ys titles, and it sits among the upper echelons of Japanese games on Steam in terms of sales in general. The theoretical math suggests that even with sale prices and whatnot, Origin has provided Falcom with upwards of seven figures in revenue. That's spread out over a period of a couple years, but even so, that's huge. That's a fanbase. That's a base you could sell a new game to, and I'm sure they're aware of that.

Will it actually happen, I have no idea. But especially given how Yunica and Hugo have been showing up in side media all of a sudden after getting ignored for half a decade or more, I do wonder.
About as likely as a Ys game centering around Elena, perhaps? :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

As much as I'm sure Falcom likes the direction that their Steam products are going I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to port completely new iterations of Celceta and VII.

Isn't there a Chinese PC port of Seven? Couldn't they just translate that and release it?

(No idea if the port is any good or not, I'm just legitimately curious.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every single file in Ys Seven PC is apparently encrypted with DRM which has to be handled every single time they are accessed, it's a mess. You might as well play Ys Seven on your PC with ppsspp, it will probably look nicer anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wish Celceta would get patched to play on PSTV. I loving love Ys and it's the only one I haven't played. The party based combat of Ys Seven was pretty good for how different it was.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'd love another game with Yunica, she was more of a character than Adol's ever been. Just so long as it played like Origin, and not like 7/Celceta

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

Isn't there a Chinese PC port of Seven? Couldn't they just translate that and release it?

Beyond the drm already mentioned, I imagine there are rights issues with using a port done by a different company. It's a shame since Ao no Kiseki has a chinese PC port too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

Unlikely. While Falcom seems to like the PC game sales in the west, they still don't want any of that stuff in Japan (I'm following the Falcom Twitter, and whenever they mention a Steam sale, they get angry japanese tweets complaining that they aren't selling the japanese versions on steam).

The best case would be Japanese console release --> Japanese PC release that's only sold in their webshop and never goes on sale -->English console and simultaneous PC release on steam without japanese text so the japanese need to pay japanese prices.

edit: https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/554492366644457472
They claim it's because the japanese version would only sell like 2k units on steam, so they don't even bother.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 13, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Nate RFB posted:

I dunno about an Elena-centric game but they've been teasing goddamn something with her for ages now. They do this poo poo with Trails all the time, leave obscure hints in secondary material for people to pick up on later.

But seriously, it wouldn't surprise me at all if another Ys Origin offering hasn't at least been discussed internally. Origin's numbers are the sort of thing where you begin to talk seriously about follow-ups for a foreign market exclusively.

Tamba posted:

Unlikely. While Falcom seems to like the PC game sales in the west, they still don't want any of that stuff in Japan (I'm following the Falcom Twitter, and whenever they mention a Steam sale, they get angry japanese tweets complaining that they aren't selling the japanese versions on steam).

edit: https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/554492366644457472
They claim it's because the japanese version would only sell like 2k units on steam, so they don't even bother.

Sadly this is one of those things where they kind of aren't getting the hint that just maybe they'd see more than 2k if they participated in Steam Sales in Japan

The long march continues

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

This one was heavily discussed when that ys girls calendar thing was printed for Ys Seven. I reckon having a war-trained Elena tearing Felghana apart with the Genos sword would be an awesome game.

Awesome Welles posted:

It was awful, it barely ran at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not sure it was really in question at this point, but xseed confirmed that SC will be on the PSP and Vita compatible. I can't help but hope that being able to confirm that means the QA is almost done, but who knows

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I'm not sure it was really in question at this point, but xseed confirmed that SC will be on the PSP and Vita compatible. I can't help but hope that being able to confirm that means the QA is almost done, but who knows

They could well have just been reassuring people after what happened with Brandish on EU PSN (game came out but wasn't initially Vita/PSTV-compatible thanks to some screw-up by SCEE). I do wonder how close together the PSN and PC releases will be though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

toddy. posted:

This one was heavily discussed when that ys girls calendar thing was printed for Ys Seven. I reckon having a war-trained Elena tearing Felghana apart with the Genos sword would be an awesome game.

Nate is more getting a dig in at my :tinfoil:-ing a while back over Elena getting put into future games as a playable character, I think. :v:

(Still maintain there has to be some kind of calculation behind that subtle-but-persistent push of the idea of Elena in a Felghanan knight uniform with the Brave Sword. Like since 2010 almost every single appearance she's made in "new" media has been in that outfit except for like one wallpaper and the loving Line sticker sets, and those are mostly older assets repurposed as big emotes.)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I've been a bit behind on Falcom announcements since the Tokyo Xanadu reveal. Did the new My Big Fat Greek Ys Game title get any more information since that Playstation conference show teaser?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nope

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It hasn't even gotten a place on the scroll banner on Falcom's main site or a dedicated site of its own yet. I think it's safe to say Greek Ys isn't coming until at least 2016, though I wouldn't be surprised if we begin to hear more about it at TGS. Tokyo Xanadu seems to be an all-hands-on-deck project for Falcom ATM, but it'll be nearly done by the time TGS rolls around. Certainly we'll hear more about it after September's TX release.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

How do you reset Gurumin's save file so you don't have everything unlocked again?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Slur posted:

Personal opinion: Celceta is the best game in the franchise. I recommend playing 7 first though, just to see how much they improved upon their initial "party system" concept.

I just beat Celceta, it was incredible. I hesitate to say it's my favorite, since I really enjoyed playing as Toal in Ys Origin, but it's right there with it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ys is one of my favorite game series and I can't stand Celceta. What's wrong with me? :saddowns:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved Celceta. It's my first Ys but it made me interested in the series.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Unmature posted:

Ys is one of my favorite game series and I can't stand Celceta. What's wrong with me? :saddowns:

Honestly a lot of my experience with Celceta was soured by very lame bosses and an exceptionally lousy plot. There are threads of a great game hiding in there but some points stick out that made me not consider a second playthrough for a while. I don't know between it and Ys 7 I still kinda prefer 7 and it doesn't come close to being as fun as Ys II or Oath.

Not saying it's a bad game at all I think it's very good just not really high up there in my favorite Ys entries list. Rates higher than Ys VI but lower than Origin, Ys II and Oath in Felghana.

Still beats the poo poo out of Ys V though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Celceta a whole lot but I think it's just too easy to be a favorite Ys title. I do think it's a lot more refined overall than Seven which I have no real desire to ever revisit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I tried to play Ys 7 but I could not. Character switching was kinda a thing I didn't like, but having to buy equipment for everybody really sucked.

And I had no idea what to do with all the crafting and upgrade materials I was getting. Please tell me how to play Ys 7 properly :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

toddy. posted:

Honestly a lot of my experience with Celceta was soured by very lame bosses and an exceptionally lousy plot. There are threads of a great game hiding in there but some points stick out that made me not consider a second playthrough for a while. I don't know between it and Ys 7 I still kinda prefer 7 and it doesn't come close to being as fun as Ys II or Oath.

Not saying it's a bad game at all I think it's very good just not really high up there in my favorite Ys entries list. Rates higher than Ys VI but lower than Origin, Ys II and Oath in Felghana.

Still beats the poo poo out of Ys V though.

YsC is getting up there with Ys5 in terms of 'so easy you can just mash your face into the boss until it dies'. Though in YsC you at least have to put a little effort into your gear to make it that way and you actually have to press the attack button as opposed to Ys5 where you literally just let bosses kill themselves by running into you.

But mostly I think that's just Karna being busted as gently caress.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

YsC is getting up there with Ys5 in terms of 'so easy you can just mash your face into the boss until it dies'. Though in YsC you at least have to put a little effort into your gear to make it that way and you actually have to press the attack button as opposed to Ys5 where you literally just let bosses kill themselves by running into you.

But mostly I think that's just Karna being busted as gently caress.

What difficulty did you play on?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hard. I know that apparently Nightmare is where it actually starts getting interesting, but it was a long game and I haven't really felt like giving it another go since then.

I don't actually dislike the game mind you, just don't think it was particularly great.

E: Or if you meant Ys5, I just played the default version, not the Hard one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised Falcom hasn't already done a YsV remake, setting aside that apparently awful PS2 one. There's nothing inherently bad about the setting/scenario other than I struggle to think of which party members they could use (obviously I'd prefer a Felghana/Origin approach instead anyway).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My only real complaints with Celceta were the myriad ~5 second pauses (this is especially bad in the final dungeon) and the fact that getting 100% map completion required running against walls.

It was a little on the easy side, but that's not a big deal. That's what higher difficulties are for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gurumin was OK. The platforming is kind of a special kind of terrible at points and besides the bonus boss it's not particularly difficult. I'm also kind of miffed that NG+ is so pathetic (you still have to get all of the gold medals all over again). I enjoyed playing it overall but I'm glad I got it for free.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

I was watching laputa: Castle in the sky because anime movies are cool and this made me go whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229K5n_PRJA

The sorta main refrain sounds just like the Whereabouts of Light from Trails, neat homage.

That melody, or slight variations, crops up in quite a few places:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrPUcxOYcg

I think there are a couple more that I can't think of right now.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
What's the proper (chronological) order of playing the Ys series currently? Is it Origin - I & II - Oath - Memories of Celceta - Ys V - Ys VI - Ys Seven?

Speaking of which, any recent news / rumors about a possible Ys V remake?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Swap Celceta and Oath there, and no.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nate RFB posted:

Swap Celceta and Oath there, and no.

Oath is "3" and Celceta is "4", though?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They are, but 3 takes place after 4. Technically things are a little weird in Celceta now (mostly some silly stuff involving Galbalan) but Ys IV's ending is supposed to lead into Dogi/Adol leaving for Redmont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why the gently caress does Yunica feel bad about killing Kishgal? He was an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread