Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Turtlicious posted:

Does it still do server check to see if you're banned from the mod?

Does it still have DRM?

I shouldn't be surprised that some mods still do this, but just :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

m2pt5 posted:

no, just type it out into the pack description.

Oh well, if that's cool with people, then let it be. I started a mod updating spree last night, which was also a chance to recover the project URLs and enter version strings into a table. Given there's something like 100/101 mods, and I only nailed 33, there's a still two-thirds to go.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gilok posted:

I saw that mod in Technic and I've been wondering which of these two is true, since I know they didn't model all howeverthefuckmany pokemon there are.

a)They use sprites they stole from Nintendo

b)They modeled like 12 Pokemon and that's what's in the mod

c)Pokemon do not exist as entities, and are only inventory items or notes on a sheet. For art for these, see a.

No there's a ton modeled, like in the 400 range, and they are emulating the pokemon battle/breed system perfectly, using the same exact formulas from the game.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Does it still do server check to see if you're banned from the mod?

Does it still have DRM?

Was that the one made by the guy that was big into people not "stealing" his work via modpacks, but massively ripped off nintendo IP?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

, and they are emulating the pokemon battle using the same exact formulas from the game.

Which I think is a waste. Why would I want to play some turn based combat in a large open world with Pokemon's everywhere

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Ciaphas posted:

If TE steam dynamos do something different under the hood than my math, then my bad. I just know that coal burns for 1600 ticks in a furnace, so figured 80 RF/t from a stock dynamo * 1600 ticks/coal * 64 coal. :shrug:

If that's the case maybe I'll try advanced generators again next weekend. Boy loving hell is that mod Iron-expensive, though, my god. At least Big Reactor's yellorite fetish is confined to something useless for anything else in the game.

Yeah. Don't think about items in terms of ticks, but rather in terms of RF. There's typically not a correlation to furnace burn time, although that used to be the standard for MJ, which is why 1 piece of coal was 1600 MJ - the assumption being that a furnace burned at 1 MJ/t.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess I'll try AG again this weekend then. :)

That said no one's done a (recent) spotlight or anything on it, and the documentation is a bit hard to parse through. It's hard to tell if, frankly, it'd be worth the bother to even mess with rather than just fiddle with my BR more, or make it active and build a turbine.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerepol posted:

Which I think is a waste. Why would I want to play some turn based combat in a large open world with Pokemon's everywhere

because it basically makes a pokemon mmo, and then you can make your own gym and gym badge.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you're on OMP-i then why are you acting like syngas is all you have access to? There's a ton of other liquids it works with (Most of the ones in the game are compatible. Last map we had 5 of the turbines running off of a dimension with an ocean of ethanol.

Also they top out at 5,000 rf, which is a lot higher then most of the other smaller generators. A lot of people run efficiency numbers and then try and power their laser drills with 100 5 rf a tick Stirling generators or whatever. This makes me sad, because then I have to blow their base up.

edit: Bro, do you even math? A bucket of Syngas is 10million RF, it's 100 per milibucket.

edit: No, wait, that's MJ. I think it's more for RF. Syngas produces a lot of power.

edit: Ok, it's 1,111,000 RF per bucket. So doing the coal to syngas nets you a few extra hundred thousand RF over just burning the coal.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 19, 2015

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of OMP-i, what's the deal with starting tools? Apparently iron requires an iron-level pick to mine in this pack?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Speaking of OMP-i, what's the deal with starting tools? Apparently iron requires an iron-level pick to mine in this pack?

Smack enough stuff with your pickaxe and it'll level up, pray you get Emerald/Diamond and you can mine obsidian usually.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Smack enough stuff with your pickaxe and it'll level up, pray you get Emerald/Diamond and you can mine obsidian usually.

Well that's stupid. I'm going to do it anyway.

That should be the official tagline for every modpack.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Well that's stupid. I'm going to do it anyway.

That should be the official tagline for every modpack.

The alternative is to make a flint pickaxe [this is better than a stone pickaxe!!!] mine copper, make a smeltry, turn the copper into a pickaxe, and I think that can mine iron? Probably.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't need to level up your tools ever in OMP-i. Mine copper with a flint pickaxe, make a smeltery steal a smeltery from a village, and pour yourself a copper pick. That can mine iron.

e: beaten, but yes. Use aluminum brass to make your casts.

Edit again: Extra amusing option: Make a bucket out of copper, use it to bucket lava into your smeltery, and then melt your bucket down into iron in the same smeltery.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 20, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

No there's a ton modeled, like in the 400 range, and they are emulating the pokemon battle/breed system perfectly, using the same exact formulas from the game.
Cerepol has it right: why emulate that? I guess I like the childlike whimsy and the packrat collectathon appeal of a land brimming with weird collectible monsters, but the combat in Pokemon sure leaves a lot to be desired. Now that you have a full 3D world to explore and all these pokemon modeled in it, all I could think was "why would you stick that dated turn based combat in?"
But then I guess Minecraft's actual combat leaves as much or more to be desired in the first place so hey, I guess it's a bad choice either way.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Threep posted:

Most major mods will probably never come out for 1.8. Ask again when 1.9 is out.

1.9 looking epic, can't wait for the modding scene to hit it in 2 years

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

You don't need to level up your tools ever in OMP-i. Mine copper with a flint pickaxe, make a smeltery steal a smeltery from a village, and pour yourself a copper pick. That can mine iron.

e: beaten, but yes. Use aluminum brass to make your casts.

Edit again: Extra amusing option: Make a bucket out of copper, use it to bucket lava into your smeltery, and then melt your bucket down into iron in the same smeltery.

You can also apply monster heads to your tools to increase their mining level. I believe the latest OMP-i has vanilla tools re-enabled though?

yet another method is to find a chest with a thaumium pickaxe or something already there for you too, since mod materials work still. MAYBE you could do a certus quartz or invar tool early on?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone have a list of Obscure Thaumic Tinkers struff that isn't listed anywhere? Mostly just for OMP-I with all the other Tinkers Mods I suppose.
I'll start.

-Smeltries can be any size now! [up to 7x7 inside.]

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Cerepol has it right: why emulate that? I guess I like the childlike whimsy and the packrat collectathon appeal of a land brimming with weird collectible monsters, but the combat in Pokemon sure leaves a lot to be desired. Now that you have a full 3D world to explore and all these pokemon modeled in it, all I could think was "why would you stick that dated turn based combat in?"
But then I guess Minecraft's actual combat leaves as much or more to be desired in the first place so hey, I guess it's a bad choice either way.

There are no mobs, and you don't have to fight, so you can go around earching for Zapdos or Gyarados or whatever.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

1.9 looking epic, can't wait for the modding scene to hit it in 2 years

Oh christ, this. 1.7.10 is a goddamned travesty on servers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It really is disheartening that the 1.8 update finally brings some long-awaited performance fixes and none of the modpacks moved to it. I'm sure the "my system can run this AAA game title at 120 FPS but can't run Minecraft" posts are done to death but it really is ridiculous. Even just tiny 2-person servers constantly get tripped up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any advice on moving structures across modpacks and saves? I'm tired of rebuilding everything from nothing, if I could save even the basic structures of my old places (replaced with vanilla blocks if needed), that would be a huge help. Is this even a particularly possible thing?

edit: Like I'm seeing some structures/schematics folder in my not-yet-updated omp-i install, is that from something that could save building layouts?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone have any advice on moving structures across modpacks and saves? I'm tired of rebuilding everything from nothing, if I could save even the basic structures of my old places (replaced with vanilla blocks if needed), that would be a huge help. Is this even a particularly possible thing?

edit: Like I'm seeing some structures/schematics folder in my not-yet-updated omp-i install, is that from something that could save building layouts?

World Edit allows you to select an area then create a schematic which you can import into another server by putting the file into its schematic folder

On one server we found an Avengers Sky Carrier we planned to make into spawn - failed but it took forever to paste into world - it was huge

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Light Gun Man posted:

MAYBE you could do a certus quartz or invar tool early on?

Both of those things require pretty high-level mining levels to break, but you can always brute-force it with a little TNT or creeper-wrangling.

Vib Rib posted:

It really is disheartening that the 1.8 update finally brings some long-awaited performance fixes and none of the modpacks moved to it. I'm sure the "my system can run this AAA game title at 120 FPS but can't run Minecraft" posts are done to death but it really is ridiculous. Even just tiny 2-person servers constantly get tripped up.

Why exactly didn't they move over? I know the way objects are referenced is different, is it just that the tools like forge lagged so long that nobody wanted to go to the effort? Is this likely to change in 1.9?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you use a stirling generator from Ender IO and upgrade it with an octadic capacitor, then you can turn a stack of coal blocks into about 55 million RF if you burn it. If you take this same stack of coal blocks and turn it into syngas, however, then you get about 22.6 million RF. It's true that octadic capacitors are a pain in the rear end to make, but Advanced Generators still take up a shitload of iron and are pretty bulky.

For ethanol-based power production, MFR bio-fuel reactors are better if you can get the blaze rods. Just make a line about eight blocks long consisting of a fluid conduit and a power conduit, then attach a biofuel generator to each side of it, and that'll crank out a bit over 5k RF. But presumably if you're running laser drills, you'll just build a drat Big Reactor, it's easier than some giant string of tiny bullshit generators.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Omp-I as soon as you have iron, twice cook it for steel Skip your way to the top of the pick tree.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Turtlicious posted:

In Omp-I as soon as you have iron, twice cook it for steel Skip your way to the top of the pick tree.

Coal takes 4000c in the smeltery so don't be like me and waste lava there.

Got steel pick now, but still stuff I can't mine. What is the next step? See a lot of ores I can't find in the ground or mix up from others.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How does temperature in the smeltery work, anyway? Need a bigger smetlery to get higher temps?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Light Gun Man posted:

How does temperature in the smeltery work, anyway? Need a bigger smetlery to get higher temps?

More temp = more time to smelt = mpre lava used.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sistergodiva posted:

More temp = more time to smelt = mpre lava used.

This makes sense. I had something sitting in there for ages taking more lava up that never seemed to want to melt. Maybe it just did take a shitload, I guess.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I've been playing on the Blightfall mod pack and I've been meaning to actually get around to making some kind of sorting system for what's going to be my first proper main base but I'm a bit out of the loop with most of the mods and I'm a bit intimidated by a good portion of them, is there any tidbits I could make use of until I better know what I am doing?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

I've been playing on the Blightfall mod pack and I've been meaning to actually get around to making some kind of sorting system for what's going to be my first proper main base but I'm a bit out of the loop with most of the mods and I'm a bit intimidated by a good portion of them, is there any tidbits I could make use of until I better know what I am doing?

In Blightfall I believe your options for inventory management are Barrels, whitelisted itemducts, Thaumcraft sorting golems, and Applied Energistics. The latter is a bit tricky since I think the only way to generate power is with a Big Reactor. You can always just request energy cell refills, of course...

I didn't feel a pressing need for a sorting system since I keep my chests tidy and labeled on my own.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

In Blightfall I believe your options for inventory management are Barrels, whitelisted itemducts, Thaumcraft sorting golems, and Applied Energistics. The latter is a bit tricky since I think the only way to generate power is with a Big Reactor. You can always just request energy cell refills, of course...

I didn't feel a pressing need for a sorting system since I keep my chests tidy and labeled on my own.

Do dynamos not work on that modpack? If so then I'm going to have to learn big reactors the...semi-hard way.

On another note I should probably see about making some real good Tinker's Construct weaponry, I'm in love with the traveller's set but I've just been swinging around this full-iron cleaver for the most part.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke), and picked up OMP-I to fiddle with. I found a really nice walled village (I quit playing before villages, so it was really cool) with a tower next to it that seems to lead directly to hell. I've got some kind of haybale golem next door that seems to poo poo skeletons and giant zombies and some poo poo brown lake that I think poisoned me when I fell in it, but I'm excited to try and renovate this tower/town as a castle base long-term project. There's a whole bunch of magic stuff mods I've never seen before, and I wandered into an area that made me start tripping balls, so I thought I'd best ask if there's any particular gotchas I should be aware of or if I'm good to just blindly forge ahead with landscaping and rebuilding this area to be nicer looking and not so gravel filled.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke), and picked up OMP-I to fiddle with. I found a really nice walled village (I quit playing before villages, so it was really cool) with a tower next to it that seems to lead directly to hell. I've got some kind of haybale golem next door that seems to poo poo skeletons and giant zombies and some poo poo brown lake that I think poisoned me when I fell in it, but I'm excited to try and renovate this tower/town as a castle base long-term project. There's a whole bunch of magic stuff mods I've never seen before, and I wandered into an area that made me start tripping balls, so I thought I'd best ask if there's any particular gotchas I should be aware of or if I'm good to just blindly forge ahead with landscaping and rebuilding this area to be nicer looking and not so gravel filled.

There is a spawner under the haybale so if you have cardboard boxes you can box up that spawner and re-use it for mob drops and XP

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

There is a spawner under the haybale so if you have cardboard boxes you can box up that spawner and re-use it for mob drops and XP

Omp-i does not have mekanism, and likely never will.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

This makes sense. I had something sitting in there for ages taking more lava up that never seemed to want to melt. Maybe it just did take a shitload, I guess.
One of the only things I can think of that activates the smeltery but never smelts down is most types of dense stone. Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone. I guess that's so you can't smelt seared stone at an accelerated rate, you have to do it 1 cobble at a time. Otherwise you could just make a bunch of stone hammer heads and smelt 8x as much cobblestone at once.
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

One of the only things I can think of that activates the smeltery but never smelts down is most types of dense stone. Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone. I guess that's so you can't smelt seared stone at an accelerated rate, you have to do it 1 cobble at a time. Otherwise you could just make a bunch of stone hammer heads and smelt 8x as much cobblestone at once.
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.

Metal Blocks never seem to melt either, you need to split blocks into ingots to make them melt.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheresaJayne posted:

Metal Blocks never seem to melt either, you need to split blocks into ingots to make them melt.

Yeah, they'll just sit there chewing lava and never actually melting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke),

How did it break?

Edit: No really. Since I'm updating all the mods and handling the todo, now is a good time to throw on issues.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 20, 2015