Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
At the end of the griffin quest, I turned down the money instead of taking it. Does this impact anything at all later? Or did I just make a dumb decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
A tip you guys might not know about that will make clues show up on the minimap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqkpPFWJhA

minimal hud crusaders not invited

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

CrusherEAGLE posted:

At the end of the griffin quest, I turned down the money instead of taking it. Does this impact anything at all later? Or did I just make a dumb decision?

I'm wondering about this too. I saw the option to refuse payment at the end of the well wraith quest, but c'mon son, I need money. Your 23 crowns = money.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Solartide posted:

I'm wondering about this too. I saw the option to refuse payment at the end of the well wraith quest, but c'mon son, I need money. Your 23 crowns = money.

Actually, if you refuse money at the end of the well wraith quest, he gives you an amethyst anyway. Holy mackarel, that's worth way more than your crappy 23 crowns.

Moral is, sometimes it pays to be a "good" guy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You get a gem instead of money. Of course, by being told that, I've just ruined the illusion for you. The point is, you get to choose how Geralt reacts to the world around him and have to live with those consequences.In this case, the consequence is Geralt either chooses pride over money, or money over pride.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This game is very pretty. It rubs well. The gryphon fight felt epic. I'm not far into it but it seems good. Are the nilfs always gonna be bastards?

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Crappy Jack posted:

You get a gem instead of money. Of course, by being told that, I've just ruined the illusion for you. The point is, you get to choose how Geralt reacts to the world around him and have to live with those consequences.In this case, the consequence is Geralt either chooses pride over money, or money over pride.

I'm pretty sure the gem is from the wraith quest. As far as the pride/money thing goes, is pride a quantifiable thing that converts into 1s and 0s this game that I'm going to feel later, or simply a "pride irl" thing? Because if its the latter, then I should have taken the money, because I'm broke as gently caress.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm pretty sure the gem is from the wraith quest. As far as the pride/money thing goes, is pride a quantifiable thing that converts into 1s and 0s this game that I'm going to feel later, or simply a "pride irl" thing? Because if its the latter, then I should have taken the money.

It's about "role play". Think about it as if this was some kind of "role play"-ing game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A bit confused as to what to do after telling this Dwarf Blacksmith I'll help him. No real indication where to go or what to do...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I have a game here that may suit your interests.

Apparently me and that guy played very different versions of Witcher 2 because I remember a lot of pretty bright colors. The clothes, the merchant stalls, even the forest areas around Flotsam - it was all extremely colorful.

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's about "role play". Think about it as if this was some kind of "role play"-ing game.

Nonsense, I must have the most profitable and efficient outcome at all times!

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
For people starting a new game, don't forget to pick up the Crystal Raven Skull (quest item) on the ground close to where you first load in. It's the same skull you see in the opening cinematic. The skull seems to disappear as soon as you complete the Gryphon contract. I missed out on it so I have no idea what it's purpose is for.

Also don't throw away your starting Witcher gear. Apparently you can upgrade them with blueprints!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theDOWmustflow posted:

For people starting a new game, don't forget to pick up the Crystal Raven Skull (quest item) on the ground close to where you first load in. It's the same skull you see in the opening cinematic. The skull seems to disappear as soon as you complete the Gryphon contract. I missed out on it so I have no idea what it's purpose is for.

Also don't throw away your starting Witcher gear. Apparently you can upgrade them with blueprints!

1) oh no! You mean where you start in the open world (With Vesemir under the tree?) (anyone got coordinates?)

2) Oh no! Sold em.

[edit] Right now my biggest beef is fighting things that I whiff when I feel like I shouldn't and having them hit me with heat-seeking melee lunges even if I'm rolling/dodging backwards. It feels a little unfair.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 19, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is there something special about the Raven Skull? or is it just vendor loot.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kimmalah posted:

Nonsense, I must have the most profitable and efficient outcome at all times!

Based on the series, this means you're probably going to get a lot of innocent people killed in very horrible ways. But hey, your call!

Just remember to follow the Witcher's Code.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Was walking around in the Witcher 2 as clunky as this? I don't remember it being like this. Just like walking around and falling off everything or taking 2 extra steps past anything you want to loot is super annoying, not to mention the ridiculous turning radius when you're sprinting. I also really dislike how limited the vertical camera movement is. If I want to look straight down at Geralt's head I should be able to!

Other than that the game's great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Someone was looking for inexpensive Emerald Dust right? Wraiths drop it, there's a few of them on the Hunt a Witch quest (main story).
Oh thank christ, I'm still using Velen Longswords and poo poo against level 7 human enemies and it takes forever to kill anything. Time to get me a new Viper sword. Also, I hear the harder difficulties penalize your experience gain. Is that why practically everything is 3-5 levels higher than me? I just got to Velen and the only thing I can kill easily is Drowners. I'm level 4 right now and the only contracts/quests I have available are level 6-13. I mean, I can do some of them, but its somewhat rough going. I also started on the hardest difficulty and downgraded to hard after I got utterly wiped on the starting ghoul fight, if that makes a difference.

Also, I don't think I'm getting experience for killing enemy mobs which makes the +exp on the Viper silver sword somewhat...wasted.

e: And yeah, at least keep the Kaer Morhen armor. One of the armor diagrams you get is an upgrade for it. I haven't seen any upgrades for your starting swords though.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

m.hache posted:

Is there something special about the Raven Skull? or is it just vendor loot.

It's a quest item so I don't think you can sell it. I missed it in my current game but hell no I ain't restarting at this point.

Also combat on hard is HARD. Do not underestimate formerly known trash mobs like drowners. Also two wraiths are a handful, three at once is a loving nightmare.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Crappy Jack posted:

Based on the series, this means you're probably going to get a lot of innocent people killed in very horrible ways. But hey, your call!

Just remember to follow the Witcher's Code.

I wasn't serious about that, I usually take the "good" routes in quests rather than the profitable ones. But really either way you're going to get most people killed no matter what. :v:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Man where do you find a merchant/smith in the second area?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah agreed, even with abilities I'm not a fan of the 1 power +1/+1 catapult guy given how much you have to commit to the board for a marginal increase in power. Maybe there's special cards later to wipe all 4+ power cards from the board?

This guy can be situationally useful because the +1/+1 modifier ignores weather effects. I've won a match after the entire board was blanketed with snow, fog, and rain thanks to this tidbit.'

Also I love how the Nilfgaard faction ability thematically fits with my perception of them in the Witcher world. If you resort to drawn out war of attrition, you will lose. End in a stalemate - you lose.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 19, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man where do you find a merchant/smith in the second area?
Follow the main quest to find the Witch, you'll find both pretty quick.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

If you keep losing an absurd amount of health due to falling, remember that pressing jump just before impact causes you to tuck and roll, reducing or negating damage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crashing every 10 minutes. Yaaaaay!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Crashing every 10 minutes. Yaaaaay!

Depending on your rig there are numerous fixes that may help you out.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

theDOWmustflow posted:

It's a quest item so I don't think you can sell it. I missed it in my current game but hell no I ain't restarting at this point.

Also combat on hard is HARD. Do not underestimate formerly known trash mobs like drowners. Also two wraiths are a handful, three at once is a loving nightmare.

I thought the combat in Witcher 2 was impossible and played that one on easiest but for this i am playing on the hardest level, because i am an insane sadist. I was getting obliterated by every enemy until I changed tactics. I stopped rolling all the time and now I just time the attack and dodge because it gives you more time to attack their flank with a strong swing. I also bust the gently caress into bandit camps and immediately take out their archers and run away like a noob to handle the rest on better ground. If its a group of enemies I try to keep them all in front of me as much as I can. I still have died like 50 times but I am almost totally done with everything in the first area (and still level 3 for some reason but i have no idea what to put my points into). I don't underestimate anyone.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rocode posted:

If you keep losing an absurd amount of health due to falling, remember that pressing jump just before impact causes you to tuck and roll, reducing or negating damage.

either I missed a tutorial or this was never mentioned.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I don't know if it changes anything later, but you get more exp for turning down the money; iirc it was 500 exp instead of 300.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Tip: On horseback, if you hold the attack button down it slows down time letting you line up your attacks better. The attack doesn't start until you release the button.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 19, 2015

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Feenix posted:

Anyone know where I can find a Dwarven Spirit for the Swallow potion I need for this girl?

The herbalist who gives you the quest sells it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

m.hache posted:

Depending on your rig there are numerous fixes that may help you out.

And where do I find those fixes?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

botany posted:

And where do I find those fixes?

The two I've read are turning off v-sync and/or setting power management to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

XenoCrab posted:

Was walking around in the Witcher 2 as clunky as this? I don't remember it being like this. Just like walking around and falling off everything or taking 2 extra steps past anything you want

I notice that as well, something's weird about the game's timing in general to me. I wonder if they targeted 30 fps so going higher doesn't really sync well... just a thought. I'm going to try capping FPS lower later to see if it's more comfortable.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Elenkis posted:

I don't know if it changes anything later, but you get more exp for turning down the money; iirc it was 500 exp instead of 300.

That is one of things i never understood about the Witcher series, the rewards/economy are paltry/make no sense. If a stupid potion recipe is 60 gold, and I just saved a village from a mythological terror bent on their destruction, and all the townsfolk can muster is 20 gold as payment, who is supposed to be buying that 60 gold recipe? And the dwarf who complains he is barely getting by and charges me 25 gold to fix my armor, but this brand new sword i found is only worth 4 gold? That dwarf is full of poo poo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Poetic Justice posted:

The two I've read are turning off v-sync and/or setting power management to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel.

Where do you find power management settings in the nvidia control panel?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 19, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Darth Ballz posted:

That is one of things i never understood about the Witcher series, the rewards/economy are paltry/make no sense. If a stupid potion recipe is 60 gold, and I just saved a village from a mythological terror bent on their destruction, and all the townsfolk can muster is 20 gold as payment, who is supposed to be buying that 60 gold recipe? And the dwarf who complains he is barely getting by and charges me 25 gold to fix my armor, but this brand new sword i found is only worth 4 gold? That dwarf is full of poo poo.

Money is balanced around gameplay and not in-game economics

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Darth Ballz posted:

Everyone jacks up their prices when dealing with witchers, because gently caress witchers. Incidentally I really like how hostile all the random townsfolk are to you in this game. My immersion.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm back at the tree you start the game at... where should I be finding this Skull? I'm looking everywhere...

Akul
Aug 29, 2012
I hear it is gone after you turn in the griffin contract.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Akul posted:

I hear it is gone after you turn in the griffin contract.

I have not killed the Griffin yet. Merely told Vesemir I am ready.

[edit] Regardless, can someone just tell me where it is, specifically, so I can get it, or know it's no longer there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can I get through the game completely ignoring the alchemy and blacksmith stuff? For no other reason than I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to do it.

It's fun so far, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous on PC, I dunno where all the complaints came from. The one thing I don't like though is Geralt turns around like a semi truck. I don't really care about realism, it's a video game, let me turn in a direction and instantly be facing that direction. Also Geralt, buddy, please speak up. Please. Use your outside voice.