Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Made my sauce last night.

3 poblanos
10 jalapenos
15 serranos
8 habeneros
8 anahaeims

3 cloves of garlic
1 medium yellow onion
2 roma tomatos

salt, comino, black pepper, vinegar, brown sugar

De-seeded and roast all everything in two batches under the broiler. Removed most of the blackened skins, blended in the vitamix.

It's hot, but not burn your tongue off hot. More like after 8-9 chips worth of it and your tongue suddenly turns numb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Croatoan posted:

I know a guy who's son makes ramen and throws in some peanut butter and sriracha to make a ghetto pad thai. TBH I kinda want to try it.

Back to hot sauces, I finally got around to trying Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce and holy gently caress that burned my tongue for like 10 minutes. That's from taking a few drops on my tongue. On a sandwich it was great but god drat that poo poo was too much for me on it's own. :supaburn:

Edit: I should clarify, I love Dave's Total Insanity Sauce and don't have a problem taking a few drops straight up.

A friend bought me a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity sauce because he knows I like hot sauce.

Thing is, I normally enjoy sauces such as Cholua, Tabasco, and Tapatio. I have no experience with the super ridiculous hot sauces, except occasionally putting some in big batches of chilli.

On another note, I am growing 5 Tabasco pepper plants this summer. I'm planning on making hot sauce, and I would welcome instructions or techniques from experienced Sauciers.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I fell in love with Grace hotsauce in Jamaica. A little hotter than tabasco, with a good clean fruity habenero flavor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty good as basic Tabasco replacement, but the yellow scotch bonnet sauces you can get are SO MUCH better.

EDIT: reposting my post from a few pages back:

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!

This is the haul that the woman and I brought back from Jamaica:

We've now tasted them all, and while we enjoyed every last one, there is a clear winner:

This stuff is fantastic. There are several styles of pepper sauce in Jamaica, but the yellow crushed Scotch Bonnet tend to be the hottest AND the most flavorful.

I bought it in the supermarket for about 1.63 a bottle in US Dollars. I wish I had stocked up, because buying it direct from the website will cost you $5 a bottle plus shipping.

http://mydadsfoods.com/products/Scotch-Bonnet-Pepper-Sauce.html

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Not really a hot sauce, but I love me some Pickapeppa sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

Pickapeppa is the best on pork.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Found a new hot sauce I love:

The Habanero flavor of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Pretty hot, but not upsettingly so.

The label says "One Drop Does It" but a couple quick dashes should be juuuust right ;)

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
One of my favorites. I go through bottles of that stuff quickly enough that my preference of grocery store is based on whether or not they carry my preferred hot sauces.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Anything with red sauce (spaghetti, lasagna, pizza) is my jam with LA hot sauce :chef:

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Annath posted:

Pickapeppa is so good :kimchi:

I've had good luck with doing fermented pepper mash - one thing that I've found to help make batches more consistent is to add a couple spoonfuls of the liquid for something with the lacto already in it. I use the juice from some Bubbies sauerkraut since I usually have that around. If you ferment peppers regularly, add a spoonful of a previous batch to help get it started. To reduce the risk of unwanted mold, I fill a zliplock bag with water and squish that down on top of the mash - lets the mash burp without letting in unwanted air. After a week or so of being on the counter, it goes into the fridge for 3-6 months. After that it's cooked and bottled.

Has anyone here used a German-style fermenting crock before? My pepper plants are going totally nuts and I've already picked and dried a couple of pounds of peppers. The yield just from my balcony is crazy, and I'm looking for something bigger and less messy to make mash in than mason jars with plastic bag water weights in them.

One of the best things to add to hot sauces with citrus-y peppers is pickled lemons. They add salt and tons of flavor that compliments the peppers really well. Easy to make at home, too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
What variety/brand of hotsauce would you recommend for someone looking to add a "latin" kick to a dish?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Poop Cupcake posted:

To reduce the risk of unwanted mold, I fill a zliplock bag with water and squish that down on top of the mash - lets the mash burp without letting in unwanted air.

Oh man.. thank you so much for that idea, that is a brilliant way to keep everything submerged. I've struggled with the few fermented batches I have tried to do because of this very issue.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.

Nooner posted:

What variety/brand of hotsauce would you recommend for someone looking to add a "latin" kick to a dish?

Valentina is my favorite

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

niss posted:

Oh man.. thank you so much for that idea, that is a brilliant way to keep everything submerged. I've struggled with the few fermented batches I have tried to do because of this very issue.

It's worked well for me - make sure you use double bags in case the inner bag leaks! The only thing I don't like about this method is that it can be messy when you remove the bags to stir the mash. Messy with lacto-fermented pickles, whatever not a big deal. Messy with scotch bonnet pepper mash is more of a problem. This is why I'm interested in getting something like a fermenting crock. Those come with round ceramic or glass weights in them to keep whatever you're fermenting below the brine.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
What are some of our favorite chipotle hot sauces?

I have a thing for smokey hot sauce flavor.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thunder Moose posted:

Cholula chipotle is ultra-smoky, not too hot, but pleasantly so. And cheap! A 5oz bottle (that I go through in about a month) is like $1.29.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

At my house we really like the Tabasco chipotle. The Choloua one is nice, but salty and not very hot.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I too just got a fermenting crock and would be interested in anyone's experience making hot sauces (or anything else, but that may belong in another thread)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Thunder Moose posted:

Tabasco Chipotle is one of my all-time favorite hot sauces, and one of the only ones I'll always replace when I run out. Gotta have it.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Tabasco Chipotle is one of my all-time favorite hot sauces, and one of the only ones I'll always replace when I run out. Gotta have it.

I was gonna come here to post about this. Great hot sauce. Also it's not really anything like regular tabasco so if you don't like the regular stuff (like me) you still should give it a try.

Another great hot sauce I've had recently is Sauce Maker's Reserve hot sauce. It's almost a mix between hot sauce and salsa but it's got great flavor and they have several heat levels, up to very spicy, maybe Dave's ultimate insanity level or just below that (which I recommend).
http://www.pepperpalace.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37396

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

:agreed:

Valentina isn't a very chipotle-y sauce, but it too is amazing on the "Good flavor to go with your moderate heat" sauce list.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll check out Tabasco Chipotle. I hate regular Tabasco so I had written it off, but it sounds like it might be right up my alley.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I'll check out Tabasco Chipotle. I hate regular Tabasco so I had written it off, but it sounds like it might be right up my alley.

I also strongly dislike regular Tabasco, but Tabasco Chipotle is good stuff, definitely give it a try.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
Tabasco Chipotle is very good despite being such a bougie brand

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
While I think regular tabasco has it's uses in things that need a healthy kick of vinegar, chipotle tabasco is one of a very small handful of hot sauces that I always, always have in my pantry.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tabasco Chipotle is thicker than regular Tabasco, for one thing.

I actually prefer it over Cholua Chipotle, although I prefer Cholua regular and Cholua Chili-Garlic over most any other sauces.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Tabasco on pizza.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Habanero Tabasco is my #1 BFF

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
My collection

Shown:
Tobasco Habanero: http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco-products/sauces/tabasco-habanero-sauce/
Dave’s Hurtin’ Jalapeno http://www.hotsauce.com/Dave-s-Gourmet-Hurtin-Jalapeno-p/1336hj.htm
Dave’s Insanity Ghost Pepper Sauce http://www.hot-headz.com/daves-insanity-ghost-pepper-sauce
Naga & Chiptle Sauce (unbranded from TK Max)

Not shown:
Vampire Slayer Seriously Hot Sauce (my favorite) http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product/vampire-slayer-seriously-hot-chilli-sauce-150ml
Heart Throb Hot Sauce: http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/products/heart-throb-hot-chilli-sauce-110.php

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I absolutely love garlic based sauces. How hot would you say that Vampire Slayer sauce is? Are we talking ghost peppers, or just Habanero?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone who recommended Chipotle Tabasco. The flavor is fantastic, nice and smokey and not too vinegary like regular Tabasco.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I go through bottles of Chipotle Tabasco and Tiger Sauce way faster than anything else, imo they're the best if you hosed something up and want to drown out the flavor (which happens a lot to me)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

I go through bottles of Chipotle Tabasco and Tiger Sauce way faster than anything else, imo they're the best if you hosed something up and want to drown out the flavor (which happens a lot to me)

Those two and Pickapeppa Sauce are my favorites. Pickapeppa is similar to A1 or British HP Sauce, but a thousand times tastier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiger Sauce?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tiger sauce is a very sweet pepper sauce made by Try Me and is tasty and one of my wife's favorites but the sugar limits its use for me as it can get cloying in a hurry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Tiger sauce is a very sweet pepper sauce made by Try Me and is tasty and one of my wife's favorites but the sugar limits its use for me as it can get cloying in a hurry.

It reminds me of sweet Thai chili sauce, and it's great with chicken, pork, or fish, or poured over a brick of cream cheese as a party dip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tiger sauce is the best on potato. Any potato.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Huh, around Baltimore, Tiger Sauce is mixing a ton of grated horseradish with enough mayo to make it spreadable, like a vastly stronger version of Arby's horsey sauce.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Annath posted:

I absolutely love garlic based sauces. How hot would you say that Vampire Slayer sauce is? Are we talking ghost peppers, or just Habanero?

Habanero level heat rather than Naga, but lots of delicious garlic flavour, it's a really good every-day sauce, I often have it on my mexican eggs for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Has anyone tried God Slayer from the Wiltshire Chilli Farm? I threw some into a burrito I was making the other day and should have worn a gas mask. The room was near enough filled with pepper spray for an hour after. The food itself wasn't bad but gently caress me my tongue burned for twenty mins and don't get me started on the shits. Weirdly the taste behind the heat was pretty good. How does that stuff compare to other sauces? It's 6.4million Scovilles according to Google. Can't imagine there's much on top of that?

(Also how are you supposed to use these ultra hot sauces in an actual serious cooking way? Or are they entirely there for bravado competitions and related bullshit?)