Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Raluek posted:

The lights bit I'd suspect the headlight switch. All those things run through there. I don't really know anything about the Dynasty, but I'd see if I could get my hands on a used part to swap it with to see. If it's not that, perhaps the wiring that feeds the switch? But switches are a more common failure.

On the power drain, you'll have to trace the wiring for that one fuse and see what it is. Maybe a lovely aftermarket immobilizer/alarm/remote start/radio/etc? If you've got any of those things, they tend to be installed terribly by previous owners. Good place to start for parasitic drains.

Thanks - turned out the alternator was half-bad, if that can be a thing. Was outputting about 10v - enough to start the car and not much else, I guess. Still dunno why I could start the car after letting the battery sit for a while.

Gonna investigate the switch and the ignition switch to figure out why the taillights/running lights don't work, everything else is fine now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

So, my dealer said I need all rotors and pads replaced. I've had the car for 100k km. I asked if they could resurface them since I saw Edd China do that once but apparently they're garbage throwaways (it's a KIA Forte).

My question is: what's the best way to do this? Go to the dealer (like anyone in AI would recommend this), chain brake/lube place, or buy the stuff at PartSource/Canadian Tire and find someone to do it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do it yourself. Pads and rotors are usually an easy job. Auto mechanic 101.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Kinda stumped here. 2000 323 touring.
New front control arms, control arm bushings, dampers (all four), rear strut mounts, rear trailing arm bushings, and alignment. Car pulls left, steering wheel wants to turn left, when running a right hand corner fast it feels like the front tire is rolling over and wants to hop but left turns are fine. Under braking hard sometimes it will abruptly pull left hard but not all the time and all at once. Only untouched by me suspension parts left in the car at the front strut mounts, rear control arm bushings, and tie rod ends.

Tie rod ends weren't shot, nor were the rear control arm bushings. Tires are approaching the wear bars. During the alignment the car required .3* camber on one side to lessen the pull. Strut towers aren't deformed. Is the pull in the tires or should I just toss the money at new tierod ends and strut mounts?

Replaced both of tie rods, not just the ends. Ghetto alignment with strings but the steering wheel still drops to the left sometimes over bumps. Wtf?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 19, 2015

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Uthor posted:

Do it yourself. Pads and rotors are usually an easy job. Auto mechanic 101.

I have zero tools and no access to a garage so I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of the licensed for now.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Nurse Chapel posted:

2010 Hyundai Accent 3door GS. 40K miles, still in warranty. I got it from a dealer who shockingly didn't try to rip me off at the sale so I've been going to them for service since then, and they've never tried to push anything on me, just always had oil changes with no problems, and one in-warranty repair. They changed management I think because there's all new guys at the service desk -- though it's still the same mechanics. So the last time I went in I supposedly needed brake fluid and power steering fluid replaced because they were "dark and cloudy". My BS meter is going off so I said no. The Internet has varying opinions as to whether these things need changing so I am asking the good SA goons for help. Is this reasonable or should I find someone else?

Brake fluid naturally darkens with time, and most OEM shop manuals will state that by itself color is not an indicator for service. The most reliable way to assess brake fluid is by actually testing it. Many shops do not. Power steering fluid is a little more complicated; depending on the system design and the fluid, color changes may be normal, or they may be indicative of worn fluid (whether that's simply time/heat or that's being full of wear particles).

"Cloudy" here is the larger concern. If either fluid really is cloudy, it can be indicative of moisture contamination, which is not something you want in either system.

All that said, neither wear nor excess moisture would be normally be a concern at 40,000 miles (though the latter in particular is more likely at 6 years). Best suggestion: Pop the hood, eyeball the fluids yourself, and get a second opinion from a friend's trusted garage if they look dark and/or cloudy to you. Also check your owner's manual for any recommended service interval.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

Brake fluid naturally darkens with time, and most OEM shop manuals will state that by itself color is not an indicator for service. The most reliable way to assess brake fluid is by actually testing it. Many shops do not. Power steering fluid is a little more complicated; depending on the system design and the fluid, color changes may be normal, or they may be indicative of worn fluid (whether that's simply time/heat or that's being full of wear particles).

"Cloudy" here is the larger concern. If either fluid really is cloudy, it can be indicative of moisture contamination, which is not something you want in either system.

All that said, neither wear nor excess moisture would be normally be a concern at 40,000 miles (though the latter in particular is more likely at 6 years). Best suggestion: Pop the hood, eyeball the fluids yourself, and get a second opinion from a friend's trusted garage if they look dark and/or cloudy to you. Also check your owner's manual for any recommended service interval.

Kia/Hyundai specs say brake fluid should be done every 2 years/30,000km, but I'd call that very conservative.

Power steering fluid at 40k miles is a steaming pile of freshly minted bullshit.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Question about a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS with the DOHC engine, 180,000 km. I bought this car last week, and on Saturday the cooling system blew, dropping 3 litres on the highway and needing a tow to a mechanic. So far, we're $750 in with a water pump and thermostat, with estimated 300 more for a temp sensor since now the fans won't come on.

Here's the thing - I had the car inspected before buying, and the cooling system tested out fine (aside from needing a flush). BUT the main thing is that I have maintenance records showing that the water pump was replaced under 2 years ago. Is there some systemic problem that would cause the car to eat water pumps so quickly? What should I watch for? We're worried that this could happen again in 2 years....

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PaintVagrant posted:

Civic Si 2007

My AC works fine, blows cold air for about 15 minutes of running. It then stops blowing cold air. If I turn it off for a while, it will turn back on and then run about 15 minutes again before the compressor turns off again.

Haven't really had time to run all the various diagnostics that the AC megathread suggests. I was taking it into a tire shop for an alignment and I had them check it out. According to them, the relay is good, pressure switch is good, and refrigerant levels are good. They said the compressor has a "short" which is causing it to intermittently turn off, and needs to be replaced for the low low price of about 1000 bux.
[etc]
Here's an additional thing to try, the HVAC actually has a built in diagnostic check you can do yourself. Also FYI for some reason that site doesn't work entirely right in not-IE browsers.
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/11/SNB6E11K73300000000BBAT00.html

Also check your fuse and relay for the compressor clutch.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Parts Kit posted:

Here's an additional thing to try, the HVAC actually has a built in diagnostic check you can do yourself. Also FYI for some reason that site doesn't work entirely right in not-IE browsers.
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/11/SNB6E11K73300000000BBAT00.html

Also check your fuse and relay for the compressor clutch.

Oh poo poo thats awesome! Thanks!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

a primate posted:

I have zero tools and no access to a garage so I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of the licensed for now.

In that case, find a small garage (i.e. privately owned, somewhere in between dealer and Miadis) and get them to do it for you. It's pretty rude to to buy your own parts and ask a professional to install them; just let them do their thing.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Has anyone here used one of those used engine importers that has a lot of low mileage imported Japanese motors because of forced obsolescence? Comes with a one year warranty, so it seems pretty good for $900.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Swinemaster posted:

Question about a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS with the DOHC engine, 180,000 km. I bought this car last week, and on Saturday the cooling system blew, dropping 3 litres on the highway and needing a tow to a mechanic. So far, we're $750 in with a water pump and thermostat, with estimated 300 more for a temp sensor since now the fans won't come on.

Here's the thing - I had the car inspected before buying, and the cooling system tested out fine (aside from needing a flush). BUT the main thing is that I have maintenance records showing that the water pump was replaced under 2 years ago. Is there some systemic problem that would cause the car to eat water pumps so quickly? What should I watch for? We're worried that this could happen again in 2 years....

No known issue on the pump, probably just a bad remanufactured unit. For reference my '02 ZX3 is still on its factory pump at just shy of 140,000.

Temp sensor probably won't fix the fans, if they have it running ask them to try to turn the A/C on and see what the fans do (should both turn on with the A/C.) I'd put my money on a blown resistor pack on the fan unit itself, bad harness or the fans themselves are shot.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

T

Geoj posted:

No known issue on the pump, probably just a bad remanufactured unit. For reference my '02 ZX3 is still on its factory pump at just shy of 140,000.

Temp sensor probably won't fix the fans, if they have it running ask them to try to turn the A/C on and see what the fans do (should both turn on with the A/C.) I'd put my money on a blown resistor pack on the fan unit itself, bad harness or the fans themselves are shot.

thanks a lot, I'll have them check it that. That's a relief about the pump too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend and I are starting a business and he's looking to front 5-6k for a company car. The business is B2B in-person sales for the Orange County/San Diego area so there will be a lot of travel.

What are my best options for a car that will reliably do this? I'm 6'2" so I also need something that isn't completely cramped. Good mileage and safety is a plus as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My friend and I are starting a business and he's looking to front 5-6k for a company car. The business is B2B in-person sales for the Orange County/San Diego area so there will be a lot of travel.

What are my best options for a car that will reliably do this? I'm 6'2" so I also need something that isn't completely cramped. Good mileage and safety is a plus as well.

Is 5-6K the total cost of the car or are one of you pitching it as well for this to be your vehicle for out of work? If that is the case, how much total are you looking to spend?

For 5-6K I'd say get a camry/civic/corolla.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Is 5-6K the total cost of the car or are one of you pitching it as well for this to be your vehicle for out of work? If that is the case, how much total are you looking to spend?

For 5-6K I'd say get a camry/civic/corolla.

It's gonna be 6k total including immediate issues to be addressed with the purchase. I work from home otherwise so it would only be used to drive to and from various businesses, but it will likely tack on around 2000 miles a month.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Safety Dance posted:

In that case, find a small garage (i.e. privately owned, somewhere in between dealer and Miadis) and get them to do it for you. It's pretty rude to to buy your own parts and ask a professional to install them; just let them do their thing.

"rude"? Why, because you're doing away with the huge markup every single repair shop adds on to their parts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Camry. Next.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 4, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Extra posted:

what's the worst that could happen if I "fix" a very slightly bent (e: alloy) wheel with a propane torch and a 4 lb deadblow hammer?

I would expect the heat would warp it more and the deadblow wouldn't be enough to beat it back into shape. Let us know!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Have you considered a Miata?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

To preface: I am very anti-dealership when it comes to repairs/service.

BUT, as previously stated I need a timing belt/water pump done on the 5VZ-FE 2000 4Runner. The dealership is 50$ cheaper than the local Toyota/Lexus shop.

Normally I would be all over the specialty garage, but are high acuity repairs generally a safer bet with the dealership? Or should I just eat the cost and make it happen with the specialty place?

E: For the record, I hate myself for considering this--considering how much I hate the dealership. Just wondering if it's worth considering. Or talk me out of it, please.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 20, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

"rude"? Why, because you're doing away with the huge markup every single repair shop adds on to their parts?

Would you bring your own food to a restaurant?

If you go to a shop and get your rotors replaced, and one of those rotors has a casting defect and it cracks after a week, the shop will take care of it and work with their supplier to make it right. If you bring in your own rotors that you got for $$CHEAP$$ on eBay that are made of the cheapest baby-formula-grade pressed lead possible and the shop installs them, the shop owner is going to have to put up with your angry Yelp tirade when something inevitably breaks and you blame them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LeeMajors posted:

BUT, as previously stated I need a timing belt/water pump done on the 5VZ-FE 2000 4Runner. The dealership is 50$ cheaper than the local Toyota/Lexus shop.

Normally I would be all over the specialty garage, but are high acuity repairs generally a safer bet with the dealership? Or should I just eat the cost and make it happen with the specialty place?

E: For the record, I hate myself for considering this--considering how much I hate the dealership. Just wondering if it's worth considering. Or talk me out of it, please.

I'd take it to the dealer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I'd take it to the place that gives you less of a headache. Timing belt on a 5VZ isn't exactly rocket surgery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

It really just depends. You can't blankly state all dealerships are bad and all independent shops are good...Best you can do is ask around for recommendations. Yelp (although it doesn't divide between service & sales, you have to read carefully), Toyota forums, even ask here if someone has experience with a particular shop.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Safety Dance posted:

Would you bring your own food to a restaurant?

If you go to a shop and get your rotors replaced, and one of those rotors has a casting defect and it cracks after a week, the shop will take care of it and work with their supplier to make it right. If you bring in your own rotors that you got for $$CHEAP$$ on eBay that are made of the cheapest baby-formula-grade pressed lead possible and the shop installs them, the shop owner is going to have to put up with your angry Yelp tirade when something inevitably breaks and you blame them.

You didn't address my issue about 200% markup mechanic parts prices. When a shop charges $150/hr for labor and the literally-exact-same part I order on Rockauto for $82 costs $414 at a mechanic (EDIT: This is not hyperbole, or hypothetical), my response is usually something like "go gently caress yourself, guy". Now THAT'S rude. When I take my car to the shop, it's to pay for expertise of the mechanic. And I don't know what you're talking about for a mechanic's "warranty", because I've never seen the Bobby McGee repair shop warranty amount to anything but a pile of cheap words.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 20, 2015

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
I'm a moron who knows nothing about cars, but here is my deal:

2003 Mazda 6, 114k miles that I bought two years ago needs new brakes. There's a quiet grinding noise when I stop, and the dealer (don't kill me) said my brakes were at a '3 or a 4' (millimeters? what?) I take the car in today and get a phone call back saying that my brake calipers are rusted and seizing up, and that my discs need to be replaced as well. Visually, my brakes are indeed very rusty, as I live in New England, but the actual brake caliper-touching part of the disc is a shiny, clean piece of metal. They are giving me a price of $1600 to replace all four discs and calipers :aaa:

THEN they tell me that my transmission is about to go, because the man who drove my car around the block said that my clutch was going, "He was pressing the clutch all the way down and said it didn't want to go into gear". And admittedly this is something that is happening, but the drat thing shifts just fine in my opinion. And a new transmission is $2000 :aaaaa:

As I am a broke-rear end grad student who doesn't just have $4k lying around, what are my options? Is there anything that a hamfisted moron like myself can do in terms of fixing it on my own? How big of a ripoff is that price?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I'd go to the specialty place, honestly. When you think about it, the dealer can do poo poo work all day every day, racking up an 80% comeback rate, and they'll still be there in the morning because they are backed by [insert manufacturer here] and on top of that, are the only place anyone who needs warranty / recall work performed can go when needed. They are also the default car fixit place for people who don't know poo poo about cars and think that it'll explode if they don't go to the FACTORY CERTIFIED OFFICIAL [BRAND] MECHANIC. No matter how badly they cock things up, there'll always be a waiting list of customers (to a point of course - if they're TREMENDOUSLY lovely, I'm sure Corporate would start getting involved). Source - I worked at a Chevy dealership for a summer in college. I was only a lowly service porter, but saw some poo poo during my time there.

If the specialty shop operated this way, they'd be gone in a week. In other words, they rely on positive reviews / word-of-mouth advertising from happy customers to keep their doors open. They are also less likely to charge $assrape prices for parts / hourly labor.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 4, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yousomuscle posted:

I'm a moron who knows nothing about cars, but here is my deal:

2003 Mazda 6, 114k miles that I bought two years ago needs new brakes. There's a quiet grinding noise when I stop, and the dealer (don't kill me) said my brakes were at a '3 or a 4' (millimeters? what?) I take the car in today and get a phone call back saying that my brake calipers are rusted and seizing up, and that my discs need to be replaced as well. Visually, my brakes are indeed very rusty, as I live in New England, but the actual brake caliper-touching part of the disc is a shiny, clean piece of metal. They are giving me a price of $1600 to replace all four discs and calipers :aaa:

THEN they tell me that my transmission is about to go, because the man who drove my car around the block said that my clutch was going, "He was pressing the clutch all the way down and said it didn't want to go into gear". And admittedly this is something that is happening, but the drat thing shifts just fine in my opinion. And a new transmission is $2000 :aaaaa:

As I am a broke-rear end grad student who doesn't just have $4k lying around, what are my options? Is there anything that a hamfisted moron like myself can do in terms of fixing it on my own? How big of a ripoff is that price?

Take it somewhere else.

I don't think you can see if a caliper is seizing up visually. You'll get more wear on that corner (or less, I guess, if it seizes in the open position). You can drive the car some, brake hard a few times, and check the temperature of the brakes. If one is hotter (or colder) than the others, then it's seized and dragging. It would be really unlikely that all four would seize at the same time, especially since then it would be really hard to move the car or stop!

Also, you don't need a new transmission if your clutch is going out (!!!). You would just get the clutch replaced.

gently caress those guys.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

The Swinemaster posted:

So evidently at some point the resistor was cut out of the cooling system with the wires just reconnected without it. My mechanic described it as a "hack job". Due to this, the fans weren't working reliably and it also blew the 30 amp fuse, and possibly the screwed up the pcm.
:shepicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
That's why I generally steer people away from a used MkI Focus unless you can confirm it's been owned most/all of its life by someone above the age of 25. It was bad back when I got mine in 2004, I can't imagine what the used market is like now.

Sigma X posted:

You didn't address my issue about 200% markup mechanic parts prices. When a shop charges $150/hr for labor and the literally-exact-same part I order on Rockauto for $82 costs $414 at a mechanic (EDIT: This is not hyperbole, or hypothetical), my response is usually something like "go gently caress yourself, guy". Now THAT'S rude. When I take my car to the shop, it's to pay for expertise of the mechanic. And I don't know what you're talking about for a mechanic's "warranty", because I've never seen the Bobby McGee repair shop warranty amount to anything but a pile of cheap words.

I'd find another shop that either doesn't have such a high markup or is OK with you supplying your own parts.

Otherwise do it yourself if you only want to pay the price on rockauto, pretty much every shop is going to charge a markup on parts.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 21, 2015

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
Vehicle: 2001 GMC Jimmy RWD. ~135k miles

Was going through a parking lot yesterday, went over a speedbump kind of fast, nothing scrapped the ground. About 30 seconds later at a stoplight turning left, light turned green and my car shut off. Wouldn't let me accelerate. Electrical was still working in the car (new battery about a month ago).

Trying to restart the car, it's cranking but it's shaking violently when I try and start it. Pushed it over to the side of the road. Called a friend who brought 2 gallons of gas with him just in case, but still no luck.

It's not throwing any error codes.

I can post video if that will help of me trying to start it, but I honestly have no idea what it could be. Any ideas? My only idea is something came undone when i went over the speedbump but nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Eh, whatev dude. I thought Dr.Pain's thread was pretty informative w/r/t bringing your own parts to the mechanic, but what you do with your favorite shop is your business.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Extra posted:

what's the worst that could happen if I "fix" a very slightly bent (e: alloy) wheel with a propane torch and a 4 lb deadblow hammer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uScd7nFzfQE

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 4, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ChewedFood posted:

Has anyone here used one of those used engine importers that has a lot of low mileage imported Japanese motors because of forced obsolescence? Comes with a one year warranty, so it seems pretty good for $900.

Yup. Every bearing in the engine was trash, as were the crank, cams, block, head, and manifolds.

I think the only things not severely damaged inside the engine were the pistons. The spark plugs showed signs of piston and head sexy time, and until that day, I never knew K&N licensed anyone to put their logo on spark plugs.

Transaxle wound up being fine, but that wound up being one hell of an expensive transaxle once we realized "welp, paid for a full drivetrain, only actual usable parts are the transaxle and ECU".

Japan doesn't actually put a mileage cap on cars or engines. They do make it a bit more expensive to own an older vehicle (as cars are exempt from inspections for a couple of years, I think?), but there's nothing on the books saying "OMFG YOU HAVE TO SWAP YOUR ENGINE EVERY 30K MILES OR THE WHALES AND ALL YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE!!1!1@!#$ IN A FIRE" (even if there was, why would it be in miles? That's 48280 km).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I have a 2007 VW GTi and there is a 5-6 mph difference between the speed shown on my speedometer and how fast my Waze app (iPhone navigation app) says I'm going.

My question is this: which measurement is most accurate/trustworthy? The Waze app tells me I'm doing 65 but my car speedometer tells me I'm going 70. The difference is only noticeable after about 45-50 mph. At slower speeds both measurements match up.

Anyone with any experience with this? I realize there are many factors that could influence the accuracy of either instrument but I use my iPhone navigation all the time and it's making me doubt my in-car gauges.