Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I think it might have been construction robots? Does it count those while they are floating in the logistics count? Running 11.19 I think, definitely well after the power destruction, and my base is a massive square so there is nothing possibly over nests.

Volmarias posted:

Some of your robots have formed a fight club :getin:

I want to see a mod with this in it now. Maybe bots that can be infected or go haywire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Found an amazing little mod: Upgrade Planner. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9587

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Slickdrac posted:

Any idea what's going on here? Not getting any attack warnings, and nothing is traveling over any uncovered space.

Somewhere in your system, robots are taking a shortcut that brings them out of range of your roboports, thus removing them from your logistics network until they get back into range.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Anyone have any opinions on mod setups right now? Anything good to go along with Bob's assortment? I wanted to like Dytech, but the double research system was stupid as gently caress, so no DyTech for me.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
The dev blog mentions they're getting ready to apply to Steam

quote:

0.12 is our wedding day

Albert is the one who said this sentence for the first time. Now it is starting to define the mood in the office. As 0.12 means applying to steam, it needs to be as good as possible. It pushes us forward to do as much improvements and polishing as we can, because we can't let our wedding day to be ruined. We started to uncover all the small buried things we just postponed, but we have to finish them now. This means that the amount of changes in 0.12 is starting to look scary big, but with all the team reinforcements it seems like we could still deliver in reasonable time, which is important, because no one should miss his own wedding day. :)

I think they'll be fine, judging by other games that made it to Steam Early Access. Also curious to see how many new players will show up once a Steam version is available.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Stick Insect posted:

The dev blog mentions they're getting ready to apply to Steam

I think they'll be fine, judging by other games that made it to Steam Early Access. Also curious to see how many new players will show up once a Steam version is available.

You say that like most of the new players Steam will bring are going to be a good thing.

"YOU NEED TO ADD THIS"
"MAKE IT EASIER"
"MAKE IT HARDER"
"ADD ANIME"
"WHY CAN'T I JUMP"
"WHERE'S MELEE. I WANT A KATANA"
"1/9, THE TRAIN DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THOMAS"

Eastern Europeans have a tendency to tell people to gently caress off and do their own thing, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still fearful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The steam workshop mods that will be made for this game are going to be amazing. :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gibbo posted:

You say that like most of the new players Steam will bring are going to be a good thing.

The gobs of money they bring will be a good thing.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Gibbo posted:

More people playing a good game is a really good thing. The current userbase had a lot of bad ideas too, but the developers aren't trying to cater to the whim of every fan. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

If a Steam release gets us a workshop mod that changes the train texture to Thomas, I'm nothing but supportive.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mearn posted:

If a Steam release gets us a workshop mod that changes the train texture to Thomas, I'm nothing but supportive.

Just as long as it isn't Grumpy old Gordon. Ugh.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I forgot about this game until yesterday so I reinstalled it.

I have no idea what I am doing but I still like it.

Are there any must-have mods or should I just stay with vanilla until I get my bearings?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Stay with vanilla for now.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I finally got a marathon mod game past the early game. Over 50 hours in and I'm just now automating some red circuit production. :sweatdrop:

e: :suicide:

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 9, 2015

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I'm playing my first game where I've gotten properly far enough to make good use of bots, and man what a game-changer. Now I need to automate construction of every building I want to place semi-regularly instead of crafting it by hand and I'm choking on iron plate and green chip production. I've got a very friendly starting area with an easy enough to defend entrance corridor but there aren't really any huge resource fields close by that aren't in the defensible area, so I'm gonna need to brave the xeno hordes soon.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

One of the first things I do every game is rush for automobilism and piercing rounds, and clear a bunch of spawners while the biters and worms are still small. Defender capsules are handy, but not necessary if you just drive in circles forever and brings tons of ammo. I always try to keep pollution low, and regularly cleaning out spawners around your base means you'll never get attacked.

I've never actually tried the tank, but sounds like that's what you're gonna need if you don't have access to power suits.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
In general, I'm not a fan of a lot of the mods out there. They change the feel of the game in ways they shouldn't, IMO. That said, I like modding, and I try to make my own mods as clean as possible: limited gameplay impact, and as compatible as possible with other mods. I just finished a few, if you guys want to take a look.

Link to forums search yielding my mods

I'm looking to update Scrap Mod and Terminal Chests soon. -ish.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I tried a game with Dytech, and wasn't really happy with it. IMHO adding new tech that takes metals that only occurs in 1 tile spawns all over the map kind of defeats the point of a game about building massive factories. Also, it has basically no documentation at all.

That said, I would like a mod that adds a bit more complexity to the combat/base defenses, instead of building a thousand laser turrets and ignoring ammo. Dytech added a flamethrower turret which I thought was cool, but not enough to use the rest of the mod. Is there a good mod that does something in that area? Seems like rocket or cannon turrets would be a great addition (after all, the ammo is already there) with enemies that justify their use.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Stuff I've thought about doing my own take on that have already been done in other mods:

Tree growth
Wood - - - > coal production chain
Rocket/flame turrets
Wind power
Weather
Events that damage solar panels
Improved repair packs

and I'm sure there's more I just can't think of right now. Part of the problem (other than my own laziness) is that some of those changes kind of need to overhaul more than one element to be coherent in game; for example, in vanilla wind speed is constant (though direction changes), so wind power is effectively constant free power, so you kind of need to set up a weather system if you're going to add it. Or rocket/flame turrets, while cool, would probably need a change to biters and the damage system. Better repair packs require changing bots (currently, construction bots can only hold one specific type of repair pack defined in their prototype declaration). Etc.

Plus I'm very haphazard in my efforts. I've been working on scrap mod on and off (mostly off) for the past year. I will say, however, that modding options have expanded a lot, and I'm super looking forward to 0.12.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Shintaro posted:

In general, I'm not a fan of a lot of the mods out there. They change the feel of the game in ways they shouldn't, IMO. That said, I like modding, and I try to make my own mods as clean as possible: limited gameplay impact, and as compatible as possible with other mods. I just finished a few, if you guys want to take a look.

Link to forums search yielding my mods

I'm looking to update Scrap Mod and Terminal Chests soon. -ish.

I rather enjoy your mods, thanks!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I haven't played this game in a while. Do we have nuclear weapons yet or do I still have to grind aliens Benny Hill style with the shotgun?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

They added tanks a while back, which are an improvement. They are pretty good at snipering down spawners, and leading the enemies back to your wall of turret death. Endgame is still a juiced up power-armor running at a million miles per hour while vomiting capsules though.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

They added tanks a while back, which are an improvement. They are pretty good at snipering down spawners, and leading the enemies back to your wall of turret death. Endgame is still a juiced up power-armor running at a million miles per hour while vomiting capsules though.

I like the tank for travel as it has a lot of cargo and doesn't explode instantly when it rubs against a shrub. Though for deep fighting it's pretty weak in my opinion.

I would really like some alternative to use up some of these spare resources on warfare while at the same time save myself the grinding of alien nests.

Nuclear weapons seem like a good compromise. Spend a ton of resources to build a missiles and then drop a beacon on the nest to launch it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Too big, too singular. I'd use combat androids with a drone-control APC as an alternative to the tank. Mass-produce androids and throw them at nests.

Artillery that can be aimed with a laser pointer (with mass-produced shells, plus you have to build a half-dozen howitzers) would be cool too. They're noisy though! Make sure those emplacements are defended!

Now I'm even thinking plasma artillery, where you can go all Lavos on those bugs. :getin:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 19, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Evilreaver posted:

Too big, too singular. I'd use combat androids with a drone-control APC as an alternative to the tank. Mass-produce androids and throw them at nests.

Artillery that can be aimed with a laser pointer (with mass-produced shells, plus you have to build a half-dozen howitzers) would be cool too.

Now that's brilliant.

Just something to spend vast amount of resources to counter the nest grinding tedium.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

Artillery that can be aimed with a laser pointer (with mass-produced shells, plus you have to build a half-dozen howitzers) would be cool too. They're noisy though! Make sure those emplacements are defended!

Now I'm even thinking plasma artillery, where you can go all Lavos on those bugs. :getin:

Automated Drone-bug murder has been something I've wanted since the get-go. Plop down some beacons, let the droids march out, las gun the bugs, and bring back the orbs. APC home base is good, but I want to build trains to ship the troops to the front, like it's soviet Russia.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Evilreaver posted:

I've had pretty much the same idea some time ago. The idea of a huge biter infested swath of land being pounded with heavy fire, with hordes of bugs pouring out, all while trainloads of shells and bullets are shipped in, just seems right.

It'd be great to have a whole variety of shells that do different kinds of damage over varying areas, and with different tech requirements. Bog standard explosive shells, napalm shells, shells filled with sulfuric acid when that's all you got, shells filled with an insecticide called "mustard gas", and so on and so forth. The top tier should definitely be a nuclear shell. "A", as in you'd probably only need one per nest area.

That's all kind of a moot point, though, because with the coming space segment we should just be given the ability to drop big rocks from very high up directly on the nests.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Implement the tech tree from WZ2100. TIA.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Actually, nuclear missiles sound perfect. Just be sure to include some fallout so you piss off every other hive in existence.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Which is why you mass produce the missiles and also vaporize every other hive in existence.

That's the Factorio Way.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have taken a LONG hiatus from this game. Last time I played getting a car was something new. How much has it improved since then and is there a list of good mods?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Significant improvement, multiplayer especially, graphics a bit, WW1 era tanks, it's great :buddy:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I spent 6 hours setting up a factory, got plenty of blue science rolling in, built a train, stupidly tried to get in said train while it was moving, died, checked last save file... 3 hours ago. Game should autosave when stepping within 100 feet of a train.

Yea it was my fault but I don't think I've died to biters once, only stupid train deaths. Devs please protect me from myself.

Oh well, there were a few areas I could have improved on...

edit: derp, last time I played this game I don't think it had autosave, or I had it disabled, so I forgot about it. Welp, now I can have even more stupid train deaths.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 23, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Drown this miserable planet in concrete!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Train crossings? Train crossings!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They're all "oh there's gonna be more pollution if you pave the planet" like our solution isn't already to glass the planet :smug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Caconym posted:

Train crossings? Train crossings!

Instead of just preventing you from entering while a train is passing, now you get to worry about getting gibbed by the gates as well!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Evilreaver posted:

They're all "oh there's gonna be more pollution if you pave the planet" like our solution isn't already to glass the planet :smug:

But if I pave the entire planet no one will care!

The plan is flawless.

The colony ships will arrive to find a perfectly smooth concrete ball.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
After generations in space the colonists arrive to find their new home mined out and more polluted than their last one. Good thing they already have a colony ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

oxbrain posted:

After generations in space the colonists arrive to find their new home mined out and more polluted than their last one. Good thing they already have a colony ship.

This is perfect.