Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sagan won the tour of california on time bonus by grabbing 3rd place by millimeters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

serious gaylord posted:

Sagan won the tour of california on time bonus by grabbing 3rd place by millimeters.

I was there. It was exciting.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Daaaamn

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tinkov's response to Sagan winning the overall.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-keen-to-reduce-sagans-contract-after-poor-spring

'I want to cut his salary because hes had a poor season.'

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tinkov being his usual misanthropist crybaby? So surprising

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Tinkov sure comes off as a terrible human being and a hard driving rear end.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
For someone who seems to hate giving money away you have to wonder why he bought a cycling team.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

serious gaylord posted:

For someone who seems to hate giving money away you have to wonder why he bought a cycling team.

Didn't you read the quotes? It's his toy!

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I think anyone would be pissed for having signed Sagan on such a contract in the first place.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Tinkoff bought that team for the same reason he is complaining loudly and publicly about Sagan's contract right now: he likes to see his name in the media.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arus-lawyer-confirms-legal-action-against-greg-henderson-for-twitter-comments

quote:

Alex Carera – Aru’s agent, and Giuseppe Napoleone – a lawyer often hired by Italian cyclists, revealed that the legal action has been taken ‘to protect the good name and honour of Fabio Aru and the team (Astana) he rides for.”

loving :lol:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Unlucky for Porte. Mechanical?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Yep. Exceedingly unlucky.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That should keep things very interesting for the time trial. Aru is expecting to lose some 2-3 minutes to Porte and Uran on that. Contador is stronger so shouldn't lose pink with Porte now a minute down on him.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Porte gets a 2 min penalty for outside mechanical help in the final. He's out of top 10. Final podium Aru, Landa, Cataldo, make it happen Astana.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Porte's GC is over. He's been penalized two minutes for accepting a wheel from Clarke after the puncture.

edit: bah

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Wow that's kinda hosed up. I guess it's the letter of the law and all but I can't see the Giro race jury handing down that kind of penalty to an Italian rider.

Porte has to attack now, he can't make all of this up in the ITT unless Contador's shoulder prevents him using aero bars.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Xir posted:

Porte's GC is over. He's been penalized two minutes for accepting a wheel from Clarke after the puncture.
What's the reasoning behind this?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Can't take a wheel from a competitor, Clarke is on Orica.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You just know if an Italian rider from Fantini had given Aru a wheel there wouldn't have been a penalty.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That rule is total poo poo and I don't even like Sky.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The definition of a rule is outside mechanical assistance, so where was all the time penalties for the riders who got help from other teams mechanics after the smash on stage 2 to get their bikes back up and fixed? I'm pretty sure I saw a few wheels given out there too.

The rules the rule, but apply it consistently or not at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can understand them waving it when there's a general clusterfuck happening.

How happy are Clarke's team going to be with him?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

goatface posted:

I can understand them waving it when there's a general clusterfuck happening.

How happy are Clarke's team going to be with him?

I doubt Orica will care at all, Clarke wasn't riding for GC anyway and teams always pick up a handful of those 100-200 franc fines for peeing near spectators or sticky bottle handoffs from the team car.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is blowing up in the UCI's face right now. We might get a climb down by tomorrow morning.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The latest update is that the Race Jury decided that no appeal was possible and only at the urging of the Giro organisers did they wait to announce it to team sky in person. They were originally just going to let it go in a press release. They've said that a team did not report the infraction directly as well.

Meanwhile most professional cyclists have called it a massive over reaction.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/reactions-to-portes-stage-10-time-penalty_370943

Also Dan Lloyd has suggested everyone in the top 50 swaps wheels at the start of tomorrows stage, which would be funny.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
https://twitter.com/GianniMeersman/status/597829780256460800

Gianni Meersman posted:

I crashed in the final downhill because of a puncture. Had to wait for 10min to get another front wheel. Thx @TeamSky for the help #fairplay

Just one example (of many I am sure) of how rarely this rule is enforced. I wonder which team 'reported' the infraction?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Vegni said he can never ever remember it being enforced. It happens all the time. The rule is okay in spirit, its clearly there to stop bigger teams giving smaller ones a bundle of cash to work on the front for them or have extra team cars etc, but this isn't a case of that. The issue is as always with the uci, that they don't enforce things fairly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

serious gaylord posted:

Also Dan Lloyd has suggested everyone in the top 50 swaps wheels at the start of tomorrows stage, which would be funny.

This would own so hard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/reactions-to-portes-stage-10-time-penalty_370943

That would be the best gently caress you ever.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

This would be the best kind of rider protest.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

You just know if an Italian rider from Fantini had given Aru a wheel there wouldn't have been a penalty.

Horse poo poo.

gently caress Porte and gently caress Sky. It was bad enough with the water bottle poo poo at the tour. Cheating cunts.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Alternatively everyone lets Porte win the next stage by exactly 2 minutes. Have the peleton pull up just short of the line, let Richie go ahead, and then watch the timeclock.

I'm not a huge fan of Sky but this is pretty dumb, especially since Porte lost a heap of time already.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Horse poo poo.

gently caress Porte and gently caress Sky. It was bad enough with the water bottle poo poo at the tour. Cheating cunts.

It was a gel.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Someone on Twitter pointed out that it gave him an extra Sky helper to pull him back.

He was screwed anyway. Astana would never let him back on the podium even with 30 seconds lost.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Paddyb posted:

Someone on Twitter pointed out that it gave him an extra Sky helper to pull him back.

He was screwed anyway. Astana would never let him back on the podium even with 30 seconds lost.

Exactly, this is European sport, you can cheat and do favors, just not be in your face about it. Like when Contador gave stages to Tiralongo? in the giro who later helped him win the Vuelta. Thats how its done. I hope Porte is crying in his stupid little blood doping motor home right now

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Remember when Jens crashed and had to ride a bike 15 sizes too small for him that a small babby child donated to him roadside, so as he could finish that stage in the Tour? Im pretty sure there will be a ruling to Retrospectively Execute Jens based on this precedent.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Remember when Jens crashed and had to ride a bike 15 sizes too small for him that a small babby child donated to him roadside, so as he could finish that stage in the Tour? Im pretty sure there will be a ruling to Retrospectively Execute Jens based on this precedent.

The assistance didn't come from another team.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Paddyb posted:

Should have given the wheel to the other Sky rider who could then give his to Porte then, problem solved and not in a completely ridiculous way at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Matthews was helping to pull him back anyway, you could argue that Clarke would have just done that instead of the sky rider too.

Bardini are probably gonna get kicked out of the MPCC by letting a rider with an 'abnormally low cortisol level' start stage 11. A day after one of their riders solos to victory.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bardiani-csf-ignore-mpcc-cortisol-regulations-at-giro-ditalia

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 20, 2015