Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pegg shouldn't have to defend himself. I remember taking one look at the gigantic "road map" for the 50 or so Marvel movies coming out in the next 5 years and I don't know how you can see that and not be cynical about the ridiculous pandering to nerds and nerd "culture" that's suddenly become the only way you can make money in the industry today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I collect the Simpsons blind bag mini figs and display them on my entertainment center and would absolutely characterize them as fetish objects.

Also I saw the movie twice and am going again, I'm doing my part.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I normally don't buy collectible poo poo but I'm gonna now

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Efexeye posted:

I collect the Simpsons blind bag mini figs and display them on my entertainment center and would absolutely characterize them as fetish objects.

Look at this loving NERD, liking things. What a big dumb as they must be. Not like I, with my masters degree and age of 39.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

TheJoker138 posted:

I would pay the makers of the game an additional $10 for a DLC where you can play as Furiosa and get the War Rig.

If this game is any good I would unashamedly shell out for that. A friend of mine also suggested Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome, and Fury Road skins for Max. It's time to bring back All Bonds Mode.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Efexeye posted:

Yes? It wouldn't?
Then why are you calling them "fetish objects"? Nobody does that because it's an unnecessarily loaded term.
I don't collect loving anything but you're still being a prick.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
As a practicing voodoo priest i find this whole conversation extremely problematic

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Like I said about Star Wars Cantina Scene:

This movie is great because it's filled with awesome poo poo that's not explained.

There's no pause break for everyone to get a background story, and there's not going to be a test at the end.

It's neat that Miller has all that EU stuff already worked out, but keeping it out of the film is why the film works.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Look at this loving NERD, liking things. What a big dumb as they must be. Not like I, with my masters degree and age of 39.

I'm not denying any of that, though? I am literally happy that people's purchases of expensive tie in merchandise will help the franchise but its also kind of comically tragic too, dontcha think?

I'm also not the one assigning a negative connotation to the word 'fetish'.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 20, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's super duper good that none of it is actually needed to understand the movie at all

but it's also super duper good that like i can read this poo poo at some point in time

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's neat that Miller has all that EU stuff already worked out, but keeping it out of the film is why the film works.

This I agree with. It's all well and good that it's not in the film, and does enhance it. But it existing outside of the film does not take away from anything that was in the film, which is what this other guy started out as arguing, along with his statement that it's "just a bunch of made up poo poo," despite the fact that it's all a bunch of made up poo poo, and all made up by the same guy.

E- Basically this:

NecroMonster posted:

it's super duper good that none of it is actually needed to understand the movie at all

but it's also super duper good that like i can read this poo poo at some point in time

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's always insanely good when Cinema Discusso latches onto the latest feminist du jour and then a woman offers a reason for why they didn't like it/didn't think it was all things to all people and the personal attacks come rolling out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Lexi Alex called it bullshit and she is my feminist liege lord

Uh

Or lady

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I want a Doof Wagon USB speaker doohickey that also has an animated Doof Warrior puppet on it that grooves and thrashes related to the audio output at around a $45.00 price point.

I don't need it to have an awesome subwoofer or anything, this would be for my work computer.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

drat it, all this talk about "Brothers In Arms" and I was sitting here wondering why the gently caress people were contrasting death race action with Dire Straits.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

strangemusic posted:

drat it, all this talk about "Brothers In Arms" and I was sitting here wondering why the gently caress people were contrasting death race action with Dire Straits.

There are better contrasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK8r251BUiY

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's all moot anyway. No one's selling fetishes of the cars for me to buy anyway.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

It's always insanely good when Cinema Discusso latches onto the latest feminist du jour and then a woman offers a reason for why they didn't like it/didn't think it was all things to all people and the personal attacks come rolling out.

I don't think anyone has personally attacked Sarkeesian for it. She's just wrong. And there have been other women who have been saying it's great and super feminist. So...good job making poo poo up, I guess?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Psykmoe posted:

A hobby dedicated to creating purposeless objects? How delightfully quaint.

An innate part of human nature is the desire to collect purposeless objects. It's only a "problem" when it becomes pathological to the point of overriding all other desires like food, water, shelter or human contact.

So all that bullshit aside, I'd buy a model Doof Wagon and proudly display it on my shelf of Dusty Objects I Never Touch.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

gizmojumpjet posted:

I want a Doof Wagon USB speaker doohickey that also has an animated Doof Warrior puppet on it that grooves and thrashes related to the audio output at around a $45.00 price point.

God drat, I am with you on this issue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it EU stuff and "made up poo poo" if it's all written by George Miller? Because all the comics are written by George Miller.

This is awesome. :) I'm excited.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to add Fist of the North Star, a martial arts series that took its biker-leather-and-sports-gear look and post-apocalyptic setting from Road Warrior, trading the car battles for kung fu where he'd make people's heads explode. Kenshiro even sorta looked vaguely like young Mel Gibson, come to think of it.

The comic's creator even said outright Kenshiro is Mad Max+ Bruce Lee because that's like the coolest thing ever. :3:

Speaking of which, fans of either might get a kick out of The Ultimate Warrior. It's not a GREAT movie, but it's literally a Fist of the North Star movie from before that existed in the seventies starring Yul Brynner, George Eastman and Max von Sydow. Directed by the same person that directed Enter the Dragon and Gymkata. It's been theorized that had Bruce Lee not died so young he would have starred in this. Watch it and marvel at what could have been.

Earlier in the thread I made an effort post about other post apocalyptic flicks, I'll do a search and paste it again for people that want some suggestions. Though I have to say, nothing on earth can touch MM, MM2 and Fury Road to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't think anyone has personally attacked Sarkeesian for it. She's just wrong. And there have been other women who have been saying it's great and super feminist. So...good job making poo poo up, I guess?

I wasn't talking solely about Sarkeesian. These are responses to women who have criticized this film in this thread alone and they're definitely personal attacks. Does any of this strike you as someone criticizing an opinion, rather than a person? You're full of poo poo if you think I'm 'making poo poo up' and your 'well some women like it so clearly these other women are just wrong' is some 'my black friend' level horseshit.

chitoryu12 posted:

How does she feel being awful and laughed at?

Milky Moor posted:

no don't you get it the twitter celebrity that people mindlessly parrot as the smartest person in video games and who made some youtube videos where she talks in a monotone documentaries is always right

If you want to have a discussion about feminism, assigning women to 'right' and 'wrong' categories based on your personal opinion of them seems like a real bad way of doing it, but I'll readily admit I don't understand video games on the deep level that these people do.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 20, 2015

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014
So for my 2nd viewing I wanted to catch it in 3D on the biggest screen with the best sound system available. In Seattle, that means the Cinerama or the Boing Imax screen at the pacific science center. Turns out both are only playing Avengers 2 and going straight to Tomorrowland when its run is over. I get that they didn't want to devote their single screens to a an R rated movie, especially when they could run a sure bet like AoU, but I'm still bummed. At least the smaller, but still 60 by 35 ft. Paccar Imax screen at the science center is running it.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Dan Didio posted:

I wasn't talking solely about Sarkeesian. These are responses to women who have criticized this film in this thread alone and they're definitely personal attacks.

the first thing you quote is a response to a lazy, poor review that has nothing to do with what you're talking about

please try and actually note the context of what you are quoting

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

the first thing you quote is a response to a lazy, poor review that has nothing to do with what you're talking about

please try and actually note the context of what you are quoting

It has everything to do with what I'm talking about, cheers.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Dan Didio posted:

It has everything to do with what I'm talking about, cheers.

no sorry please actually read her review because you obviously did not and are just as lazy

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

no sorry please actually read her review because you obviously did not and are just as lazy

I read it. Wondering how she feels about being awful and laughed at is not a critique of the review, or a response to it, sorry.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to add Fist of the North Star, a martial arts series that took its biker-leather-and-sports-gear look and post-apocalyptic setting from Road Warrior, trading the car battles for kung fu where he'd make people's heads explode. Kenshiro even sorta looked vaguely like young Mel Gibson, come to think of it.

It will never happen but if George Miller actually made a Fist of the North Star movie, I could die a happy man knowing that I would have seen all that was worth seeing on this earth.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Dan Didio posted:

I read it. Wondering how she feels about being awful and laughed at is not a critique of the review, or a response to it, sorry.

please elaborate her points because I guarantee none of her criticisms have anything to do with a feminist/non-feminist reading

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

G-III posted:

It will never happen but if George Miller actually made a Fist of the North Star movie, I could die a happy man knowing that I would have seen all that was worth seeing on this earth.

I don't think he'd make a very good martial arts movie.

please elaborate her points because I guarantee none of her criticisms have anything to do with a feminist/non-feminist reading

I didn't say they did, at any point. Thanks for reading. In fact, since you're such a fan of context, go ahead and quote the part where I said that her review is a 'feminist/non-feminist' reading or that those things are what I said people are railing against.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 20, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dan Didio posted:

Claiming that a review of the film that was in no way a feminist critique was, in fact, a feminist critique just because the author was a woman is kind of undermining whatever point you were trying to make.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lexi Alex called it bullshit and she is my feminist liege lord

Uh

Or lady

You aren't kidding. Yikes:

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Dan Didio posted:

I didn't say they did, at any point. Thanks for reading.

your entire argument is that some women claim (a) the movie is not feminist and (b) they are attacked for it

her review has nothing to do with (a)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Claiming that a review of the film that was in no way a feminist critique was, in fact, a feminist critique

Same request a above, find where I said it was a feminist critique.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think he'd make a very good martial arts movie.
I was thinking more of the epic scale and visuals required to do a FOTNS movie properly. In which case, Mad Max Fury road definitely hit that mark. As for martial arts? Eh... The show wasn't so great at that either given the frame rate of animation was maybe 1 or 2 steps above speed racer levels of lovely.

Hey man, quit ruining my hypothetical nerd fantasy here, alright?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

your entire argument is that some women claim (a) the movie is not feminist and (b) they are attacked for it

her review has nothing to do with (a)

No it's not. I never said that they're being attacked for offering an opinion that says the movie not feminist, I said they were being personally attacked in response to their criticism of the film, feminist or otherwise. Can you find a quote where I said her criticism of the film was that it's not feminist, or were you lying?

G-III posted:

I was thinking more of the epic scale and visuals required to do a FOTNS movie properly. In which case, Mad Max Fury road definitely hit that mark. As for martial arts? Eh... The show wasn't so great at that either given the frame rate of animation was maybe 1 or 2 steps above speed racer levels of lovely.

Hey man, quit ruining my hypothetical nerd fantasy here, alright?

It's a nice fantasy, but I think Miller's idea of the post apocalypse is so completely threaded and entwined with the whole idea of carmageddon and his personal experiences and responses to crashes that he'd probably just end up making a boring version of Mad Max stripped of all it's flavour.

He'd shoot the poo poo out of it, though, definitely.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I believe that if George Millar had to do a martial arts movie he would probably take the time to study martial arts movies, both good and bad, and learn to do it right, and maybe even find his own innovations along the way

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I believe that if George Millar had to do a martial arts movie he would probably take the time to study martial arts movies, both good and bad, and learn to do it right, and maybe even find his own innovations along the way

He probably would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dan Didio posted:

No it's not. I never said that they're being attacked for offering an opinion that says the movie not feminist, I said they were being personally attacked in response to their criticism of the film, feminist or otherwise. Can you find a quote where I said her criticism of the film was that it's not feminist, or were you lying?

It's a nice fantasy, but I think Miller's idea of the post apocalypse is so completely threaded and entwined with the whole idea of carmageddon and his personal experiences and responses to crashes that he'd probably just end up making a boring version of Mad Max stripped of all it's flavour.

He'd shoot the poo poo out of it, though, definitely.

We cant even call someone stupid when they are being stupid these days without either feminists fatrightsadvocates or MRAs going apeshit bannanas. The review was bad, you are dumb.

• Locked thread