Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Daaaaamn nightwraiths are way tougher than their noonwraith brethren who was the fucker who gave "Jenny o' the Woods" a suggested level of 10?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

downgrade or not, this game has some mean atmosphere - i was running around the starter town as the sun set and the moon rose, and the trees were all bending in the wind, candlelights coming out of peoples windows, everything.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arrrthritis posted:

So I'm playing through the Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition to get myself prepped for Wild Hunt, and the game seems to be freezing at random intervals- often fixable by Ctrl+Alt+Del-ing and canceling. Is this a common bug and is there a fix for it? Or should I just dive right into my copy of the sequel that has been staring at me since I purchased it earlier today?

Never happened to me, at least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gobblecoque posted:

Daaaaamn nightwraiths are way tougher than their noonwraith brethren who was the fucker who gave "Jenny o' the Woods" a suggested level of 10?!

It took me a REALLY long time to perfect a strategy against them, and in the end I had to swallow my pride and just use Quen. Using Quen is basically makes everything stupidly easier, so I avoid using it as much as possible, but gently caress that fight.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

The Crooked Warden posted:

If the game really wants me to patch up my relationship with Yennefer then it shouldn't dangle other sorceresses in front of me.

Geralt and Yennefer both gently caress other people when they're not physically together and don't really give a poo poo. The only exception that bothers Yen is Triss, because she's one of her best friends.

I guess what I'm saying is go hog wild, bone down on everyone.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I just bought this game for PS4. I've avoided reading this thread as I don't want to read any spoilers. But I do need some help with my bath-time decisions as I have never played the earlier games before.

I read some back-story on Kotaku so I have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to help as I think that these are things I need to know (unless I'm mistaken) for proper immersion.

At the end of Witcher 2:

You have the choice to kill Letho or not after he explains a bunch of stuff about his plot and how he was hired by that Emperor with the weird name. What stuff did he explain? I have no information to understand why his life would be spared by Geralt.

You can also kill Sile or let her live. What relationship do I have with her beyond her helping me kill some river monster early in the game? Why would I let her live?

What's the difference between choosing to side with Iorveth or Roche in the second game? Do any important characters die as a result? How does the story shift?

I'm also open to hearing about anything I would need to know for other decisions. As long as there are no direct spoilers for Witcher 3 please.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Ice Fist posted:

I'm prepared to be mocked when I say that my most hated enemy is the drowner. I don't know what the gently caress but their attacks are sometimes spaced out in such a way that no matter which direction you dodged you'll still eat a face full of claws. There have been several times where I've seen a pack of drowners, started laughing thinking about the goal I was going to make off their brains and tongues only to barely survive the encounter.

Hey don't feel bad I died to drowner packs myself. Especially the pack out on a tiny rear end area in the middle of a lake you have no room to move. :( Though now I feel the need to say something about this:

Gobblecoque posted:

JUST finished this and gently caress that fight. I might just need an upgrade though since I'm still using the Viper sword. My strategy ended up just lure her into an attack, side step, hack three times and repeat. Also that split phase? Slash the first one and crossbow the other two and your life will be muuuuuuuch easier.

e; Is there a specific place I can turn in trophies? Been holding onto the griffin and noonwraith ones for awhile.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 20, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
By the way, regarding crashes - it might be a wild goose chase worth checking out onboard sound. I haven't crashed for hours, ever since I started using my headset (which has its own sound card) instead of putting the audio through my Realtek onboard sound.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anyone else getting CTDs at really specific points? Whenever I enter this area my game just crashes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I'm prepared to be mocked when I say that my most hated enemy is the drowner. I don't know what the gently caress but their attacks are sometimes spaced out in such a way that no matter which direction you dodged you'll still eat a face full of claws. There have been several times where I've seen a pack of drowners, started laughing thinking about the goal I was going to make off their brains and tongues only to barely survive the encounter.

Let's talk about alghouls if we're gonna talk worst enemies.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mills posted:

At the end of Witcher 2:

You have the choice to kill Letho or not after he explains a bunch of stuff about his plot and how he was hired by that Emperor with the weird name. What stuff did he explain? I have no information to understand why his life would be spared by Geralt.

In addition to explaining the assassination plot, he tells you that he tried to take care of Yennefer after Geralt traded himself for her, but doesn't know what happened to her after Nilfgaard captured the group.

Mills posted:

You can also kill Sile or let her live. What relationship do I have with her beyond her helping me kill some river monster early in the game? Why would I let her live?

That's basically it as your relationship goes. She's also a member of the League of Sorceresses, who is involved in the political intrigues of the story. If you let her live, she can also tell you what she knows about Yennefer.

Mills posted:

What's the difference between choosing to side with Iorveth or Roche in the second game? Do any important characters die as a result? How does the story shift?

On Iorveth's Path, you can help the rebels secure the independence of the Pontar Valley. On Roche's Path, you can prevent the kingdom of Temeria from getting carved up. Or on either path, you can save for your friend, Triss, whose testimony will exonerate most mages from the story's political intrigues. (Triss will be rescued by Letho if you don't save her, but not in time to testify). On Roche's Path, you can let Roche kill King Henselt.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 20, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mills posted:

I just bought this game for PS4. I've avoided reading this thread as I don't want to read any spoilers. But I do need some help with my bath-time decisions as I have never played the earlier games before.

I read some back-story on Kotaku so I have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to help as I think that these are things I need to know (unless I'm mistaken) for proper immersion.

At the end of Witcher 2:

I'm also open to hearing about anything I would need to know for other decisions. As long as there are no direct spoilers for Witcher 3 please.

Have you played Witcher 2 before? It sounds like you have, but then you asked that Roche vs. Iorveth question so I'm confused. I'm not sure we have to spoiler tag Witcher 2 stuff, but I'll do it to be safe:

Letho explains that he's working with the Empire because the Emperor has agreed to help him rebuild the witcher schools. Witchers are a dying breed at this point, since the schools and their knowledge (particularly how to create the necessary mutations) have been wiped out. As to why you would spare Letho? Him and Geralt have a bit of a history while Geralt was tracking the Wild Hunt and if you choose not to save Triss Letho rescues her instead. He's also one of the few witchers left in existence anywhere, which I think might make Geralt think twice about killing him if he doesn't have to.

If you spare Sile she'll tell you where Yennefer is currently located, which has pretty much been one of Geralt's main goals since getting his memories of her back.

I'm not sure about character deaths, since I think that mostly stays the same. But yes choosing Iorveth or Roche pretty radically alters the rest the game, at least in terms of where you can/can't go and what quests you have to do. It sort of converges in late chapter 2 but it's still a very different experience.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

OK I read both of those!

The one thing that confused me was this:

"In addition to explaining the assassination plot, he tells you that he tried to take care of Yennefer after Geralt traded himself for her, but doesn't know what happened to her after Nilfgaard captured the group."

What trade was this? Geralt offered himself to save Yennefer... when?

And I have definitely never played Witcher 2. I just read a quick introduction on Kotaku.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Velen is loving huuuuge. I've been milling about for a few hours and I've barely done anything. It's great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mills posted:

"In addition to explaining the assassination plot, he tells you that he tried to take care of Yennefer after Geralt traded himself for her, but doesn't know what happened to her after Nilfgaard captured the group."

What trade was this? Geralt offered himself to save Yennefer... when?

The Wild Hunt took Yennefer. Geralt, Letho and Letho's friends tracked them down, and after a fight, they agreed to let her go if Geralt traded himself.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

If anybody is interested in making the game look a poo poo ton better, use this sweetFX preset: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/

Usually i don't use these kind of things (enb shaders, sweet fx, etc.) since I tend to think they go way to far, but this preset makes the game look 100x more realistic IMO. Check these comparison screens out:
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25245/full/
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25185/full
https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/25179/full

Also, don't know if anyone's mentioned this fix, but I was having little micro-stuttering when turning the camera and when walking through villages. I found a fix that works perfectly: In the games Nvidia control panel profile, set max prerendered frames to 1. Completely fixed it for me.

I typically don't do these sort of things, but even on my 270x it looks amazing and so far I can't notice any slowdown.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Lycus posted:

The Wild Hunt took Yennefer. Geralt, Letho and Letho's friends tracked them down, and after a fight, they agreed to let her go if Geralt traded himself.

This is how Letho and Geralt knew each other from before the events of Witcher 2? aka Letho being the assassin was a ~big reveal~?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mills posted:

This is how Letho and Geralt knew each other from before the events of Witcher 2? aka Letho being the assassin was a ~big reveal~?

Geralt doesn't remember meeting Letho before because of his amnesia. He doesn't remember what happened before the events of Witcher 1. He gets memory back over the course of Witcher 2.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Lycus posted:

Geralt doesn't remember meeting Letho before because of his amnesia. He doesn't remember what happened before the events of Witcher 1. He gets memory back over the course of Witcher 2.

So if Geralt didn't remember his back story with Letho when he finds out that Letho is the assassin, when exactly do you find out that Letho and Geralt traded Geralt into the Wild Hunt?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mills posted:

So if Geralt didn't remember his back story with Letho when he finds out that Letho is the assassin, when exactly do you find out that Letho and Geralt traded Geralt into the Wild Hunt?

Letho spells out their relationship during the exposition chat.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

And Yen wasn't really in Witcher 1/2 all that much anyway right? But now Geralt ~remembers everything~ and he wants to find her I guess?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mills posted:

And Yen wasn't really in Witcher 1/2 all that much anyway right? But now Geralt ~remembers everything~ and he wants to find her I guess?

At all. You hear her name all of twice, and yeah, now that he remembers he's rather up in arms about it.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Ragingsheep posted:

Not at home but anyone tried this tweak to hairworks?

This seems to get me an extra 5-10 frames for the record. Not enough to get me to 60 so I'm still debating if I am just going to turn hairworks off.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yennifer is kind of a bitch to be honest. Though I think everyone in the lodge is.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ok. I think that answers everything! Still no idea what I'm going to choose but thanks guys!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sign build rules, everything is on fire. Also a pleasant surprise is that you don't lose the regular version of a sign when you equip the alt version. You just hold the button to do the alt.

EDIT: I've heard there are fire elementals though, those will be...fun with this build.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 20, 2015

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Archimago posted:

Can we get comparison shots? :sun:

There's a bunch of those "slide the thing to copare" ones in the screenshots section of the profile download page: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/

Anti-Hero posted:

Who ever posted the mico stutter fix, bless you! The issue was very apparent for me when I got to sub-40 FPS, which was frequently if I wanted Hairworks on. Setting max pre-rendered frames to 1 eliminated it entirely.

You're very welcome. It was driving me nuts until I stumbled across the solution and I'm glad I can help other people enjoy this amazing game even more.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Act 1 Geralt: Oh, are you a Lycanthrope? I can totally help you with that.
Act 2 Geralt: I have to kill this Lycanthrope, he's cursed.

:confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011
You should check out the Baron's garden a little more closely, if you haven't already. :ssh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone know if Decoctions are one-use or do they refill when you meditate?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Anyone know if Decoctions are one-use or do they refill when you meditate?

One use.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Orv posted:

One use.

Do they give permanent effects or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Riso posted:

Do they give permanent effects or something?

Nope, time based and you can only ever run one at a time, though with sufficient alchemy investment you can run a decoction and potions if you're careful. There are a couple that make you in an ever-critting three thousand damage a swing monster, and similarly OP things, there are just dozens and dozens of less immediately useful ones.

E: gently caress you CDPR. Four dead alghouls and only one diagram for the trouble. :argh:

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 20, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Feenix posted:

If this was a reply to my comment about dying, I meant that the act of swimming is terrible and really janky and you will sometimes just stop moving upward or whatever when trying to surface before you die.

Swimming in chainmail is unrealistically difficult, immersion ruined.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Swimming in chainmail is unrealistically difficult, immersion ruined.

I think "awful" is a bit far, but it definitely has some jank to it.

Also whoever was worried about facing more than one Endrega warrior at once; good_news_everyone.jpg

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do I suddenly recoil and take a massive chunk of damage when hitting certain enemies in their block animation? There doesn't seem to be a spell effect or anything indicating I'm being countered.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

HyperPuma posted:

This seems to get me an extra 5-10 frames for the record. Not enough to get me to 60 so I'm still debating if I am just going to turn hairworks off.

It's still a pretty nasty 10-30% FPS loss for a kind of lackluster gimmick. Hairworks is pretty ugly in W3, turning it off actually looks more realistic IMO since it mostly just makes existing hair flap around like crazy. Seriously, just pause and watch Geralt's hair twitch incessantly.

poptart_fairy posted:

Why do I suddenly recoil and take a massive chunk of damage when hitting certain enemies in their block animation? There doesn't seem to be a spell effect or anything indicating I'm being countered.

You really don't get any good indication of being countered unless you pop in the relevant Alchemy skill.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hahaha, this quest is so hilariously hosed up (Spoilers for a quest some way into act 2)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Hahaha, this quest is so hilariously hosed up (Spoilers for a quest some way into act 2)

I don't know if I'd call that Act 2 even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I think I just noticed Geralts beard grows, time for a shave :shepface: