Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I live in ATL, my dream job is to get an IT job in Hartsfield Jackson (America's World's busiest airport)

http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ATLGA&cws=1&rid=1790

quote:

Telecom Project Manager
Divisions: DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION
Description

Position closes on 5/29/15

Position Salary Range $63, 200 - $84, 300

General Description and Classification Standards

The Telecom Project Manager works for and under the general direction of the Manager, Network Engineering. Responsibilities include planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems and providing Tier III support. Also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models. Responsible for ensuring planned testing activities are executed and for developing network security guidelines.

Supervision Received

Works under very general supervision. Depending on organization structure, may work independently with responsibility for an assigned function or program.

Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.

1. Planning: Conducts short- and long-term planning to meet network requirements.

2. Network System Design and Implementation: Designs and implements network systems.

3. Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers switches and firewalls.

4. Network Connectivity: Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.

5. Network Installation: Plans and monitors the installation of network systems.

6. Network Monitoring: Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors. Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.

7. Issue Resolution: Troubleshoots diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.

8. Capacity Planning: Analyzes facilities bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies. Develops capacity planning models.

9. Disaster Recovery: Ensures planned testing activities are performed and technical criteria are met.

10. Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business. Provides network planning recommendations to management.

11. Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business. Provides network planning recommendations to management.

12. Vendor Management: Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.

13. Knowledge of Enterprise system monitoring and management tools such as Netcordia NetMRI, Cisco MARS, Splunk, What’s Up Gold, Wireshark, Websense, MRTG and NMAP.

14. Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.

15. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with SAWS staff and the general public.

16. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to provide the “Fischer Price” explanation of technology for nontechnical managers, directors and above. Great people skills are a must!

17. Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.

18. Ability to act as Network Engineering Manager in the absence of the manager.

Decision Making

 This position works under limited supervision.

 This position serves as a technical lead, providing guidance and mentorship to network system engineers. Designs technical solutions and coordinates with the staff to ensure timely and accurate implementation

Leadership Provided

Routinely provides training and/or project leadership to less experienced professionals or support staff.

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.

Extensive knowledge of concepts, processes and tools of the telecommunications profession.

Knowledge of relationship of professional disciple among related organizations and functions.

Well-developed technical skills within profession. Skills in organizing and presenting proposals or information.

Ability to plan and carry out virtually all typical assignments within professional area. Ability to train others; ability to build effective relationships within the organization.

Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience

Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or related field or equivalent work experience required.
6+ years proven work related experience is required in configuration of OSPF, BGP, Layer7 switching, VPNs and VoIP related protocols.
Advanced understanding of TCP/IP is required, including the ability to perform and analyze packet captures.
VoIP experience is required, with an in-depth understanding of SIP Peering and Trunking.
Ability to quickly diagnose and resolve problems is essential.
Advanced Knowledge of network management tools and protocol

Preferred Education & Experience

Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.

CCNP, or CCVP, or CCNP Wireless, or CCSP AND the Design Professional (CCDP) Certifications.

Knowledge of Cisco SRND/SAFE and industry best practices.

Familiarity with network, server, storage virtualization, i.e. MDS switching infrastructure, VSAN, VRF, VPN, and VMWare vSphere.

Extensive experience with Cisco Unified Wireless networking to include; 802.11a, b, g & n, LWAPP, CAPWAP, WCS, WLC and APs.

Experience with Cisco enterprise grade products to include: Nexus 7000, 6500, 4500, ISR G2, ACE/GSS, ASA, IPS/IDS, TACACS+, CUCM, Meeting Place/WebEX, Anyconnect, VSOM/VSM, NAC.

Advanced knowledge of IOS, NX-OS, EIGRP, BGP, GRE and OSPF.

Licensures and Certifications

None required.

Essential Capabilities and Work Environment

Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.

SIGH... if only.. :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My dream would be to get a job not in Atlanta.

Failing that, a job that would let me buy a small house in the Druid Hills/Decatur area. Although that would be harder and harder to do as time goes on and they tear down old houses to build ugly as gently caress mcmansions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Race Realists posted:

I live in ATL, my dream job is to get an IT job in Hartsfield Jackson (America's World's busiest airport)

http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=ATLGA&cws=1&rid=1790

quote:

Position Salary Range $63, 200 - $84, 300

That seems a little weak on the pay-grade for what was listed.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

That seems a little weak on the pay-grade for what was listed.

Yeah even the top end seems kinda poor for a CCNP-level engineer with leadership duties, project management skills and a loving masters degree. Even accounting for Atlanta not being super high cost of living. Seems like $84k would be the lower bound, not upper.

Maybe they're just banking on someone like Race Realists who really, really wants to work at an airport? Nothing wrong with that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

This is a listing designed NOT to lead to hiring. Nobody who has those qualifications will work for that money, and nobody willing to work for that money will be qualified.

The unfilled job will be used to justify whining for more H1-B visas and how America has a STEM crisis. It's just for driving down salaries and labour costs, nothing more.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I officially started my new gig at a large government information agency today. Might not be too shabby. We will see, but I think this might be a big jump in salary and a big decrease in responsibility.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Spoke with the flight lead about a virtualization network admin position I was interested in. His response was that it would likely be very difficult to move from the prime contractor (current employer) to the sub-contractor because then that would be another Exchange position they'd have to fill.

I responded back along the lines of "I can make your life easier if you move me to the virtualization position, I can take the other virtualization position that I interviewed for and have a very good chance of getting, or I can just quit and head to Florida like I planned and you can look for 2 people for a dead-end contract." It may have been a mistake, since I found out after talking to the PM and getting him on board with supporting the move that the position will likely end come November 30 - they still haven't decided. I may have to take the other virtualization position in Virginia just to make sure I have a job in 6 months. I hate it when I stick my foot in my mouth.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

EoRaptor posted:

The unfilled job will be used to justify whining for more H1-B visas and how America has a STEM crisis. It's just for driving down salaries and labour costs, nothing more.

I haven't heard this line of thought before, do you think there isn't STEM crisis?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

I haven't heard this line of thought before, do you think there isn't STEM crisis?
Look up the average salary of a postdoc, then tell me why you think there aren't more people doing it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

Look up the average salary of a postdoc, then tell me why you think there aren't more people doing it.

My brother in law has a masters in Physics, is now losing hair trying to find a job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Tab8715 posted:

There isn't a STEM crisis. There's a "we need an experienced mid-level mechanical/chemical/software/network engineer but we either laid all of them off or refused to hire junior engineers to train during the recession and now we're in the same boat as everyone else and can't afford to pay the market rate for one" crisis.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
Is it a good or bad sign that i've already had a phone interview and we have scheduled an in-person interview without any mention of salary yet? I have found that companies that pay like poo poo are often weirdly, proudly upfront about it:

"Sole, jack-of-all-trades "IT guy" for an office of over 200 Mac and PC users in a major metro area? Yeah we can go as high as 58k and thats on the real high end....."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've experienced both ways. Ballpark compensation chat before onsite, or after at the offer stage. I don't think one or the other is a huge red flag.

I guess the one benefit of starting it up front is that you know if you're like tens of thousands of dollars apart. So you don't burn PTO on a completely pointless exercise.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KERNOD WEL posted:

Is it a good or bad sign that i've already had a phone interview and we have scheduled an in-person interview without any mention of salary yet? I have found that companies that pay like poo poo are often weirdly, proudly upfront about it:

"Sole, jack-of-all-trades "IT guy" for an office of over 200 Mac and PC users in a major metro area? Yeah we can go as high as 58k and thats on the real high end....."

That's a good sign. Let them bring up money first, and let them bring it up after they've decided to make you an offer. If they make you an offer, that means they want you, and likely have some room to go up. Don't be afraid to exploit sunk-cost fallacies on their end, and if the numbers aren't there, don't feel bad about walking away.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KERNOD WEL posted:

I have found that companies that pay like poo poo are often weirdly, proudly upfront about it

I'd take it as a good thing, would you want to do rounds of interviews only find the compensation is incredibly low?

I always ask "What compensation is included with this position?"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

I've experienced both ways. Ballpark compensation chat before onsite, or after at the offer stage. I don't think one or the other is a huge red flag.

I guess the one benefit of starting it up front is that you know if you're like tens of thousands of dollars apart. So you don't burn PTO on a completely pointless exercise.
It depends a lot on your negotiating position, too. If you're really hurting for a job, it's probably best to save the discussion until the end (and the rest of their compensation package might be worth it anyway). If you got ten hits from recruiters on LinkedIn today for really great local positions, you can overplay your hand because it doesn't matter all that much if half the recruiters walk away instead of talking you down.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Anyone visited the AWS pop up in San Fran ? They are opening one in Manhattan and kinda curious. Like if you can just go and hang out and work, and get input on what your projects are that would be kinda neat.

It's like almost an hour and a half for me to get into the city so it would have to be a day trip or planned around evening activities to make it worth it.

I have, during RSA to attend a lecture on Amzn KMS and to talk to a solutions architect about it. Technically I'm an employee so I don't know how it is for others but it's very much "come down, talk to an SA about your problems and they'll help you for free ". They do events too like all day boot camps and evening seminars. (I'm headed to one this week actually)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I went through the first in person interview at my current job before discussing salary with the recruiter. But I already knew how much I wanted going into it, and I had a good feeling they were willing to pay it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So I was up for, and the front runner for a engineer position within my group (currently a contractor, position is for an actual FTE position.) They've been telling me to be ready for the interview every couple weeks for the past 7 months. Yesterday they notified me they decided to make it a Senior Engineer position.

They're still going to give me an interview, but it went from "As long as I don't totally bomb the interview" to "If I miraculously convince them my knowledge makes up for not having an extra like 4 years of experience."

It's lame to complain about being given a 5% chance to get the senior position, but when I had a 75% chance at the regular position....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong thread.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So here's something that been going, I've started a new job roughly three months ago and 4 days ago one of the thousands many IT outsource consultancy companies phoned me up with a job opportunity, same old speech, and I accepted to go along with the process, mostly because, 'why not?'. So we schedule an interview at the client, which is a bit off-hand to where I live, basically at the city's outskirts; what happens is that they start questioning me about wanting to skip bail on the way to the interview with the client, something I found a bit weird since they're the ones who phoned and prodded me.

Anyways, not even two days later they threw at me a very attractive monetary proposal, and MUST have my reply in 24hrs or less. The money is good, but half of it is untaxed, payed through some weird legal loopholes, something related to an insurance company that will put money on a separate bank account to mine. They also seem on a hurry to lock the client, so basically they want to force him to decide after having me on board. All in all, I'm finding it a bit fishy, it seems very rushed and half baked, and they almost accuse me of just jumping from job to job and yet want me to do the same now.

On a long term perspective, am I prepping myself to get screwed over?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Honest Thief posted:

So here's something that been going, I've started a new job roughly three months ago and 4 days ago one of the thousands many IT outsource consultancy companies phoned me up with a job opportunity, same old speech, and I accepted to go along with the process, mostly because, 'why not?'. So we schedule an interview at the client, which is a bit off-hand to where I live, basically at the city's outskirts; what happens is that they start questioning me about wanting to skip bail on the way to the interview with the client, something I found a bit weird since they're the ones who phoned and prodded me.

Anyways, not even two days later they threw at me a very attractive monetary proposal, and MUST have my reply in 24hrs or less. The money is good, but half of it is untaxed, payed through some weird legal loopholes, something related to an insurance company that will put money on a separate bank account to mine. They also seem on a hurry to lock the client, so basically they want to force him to decide after having me on board. All in all, I'm finding it a bit fishy, it seems very rushed and half baked, and they almost accuse me of just jumping from job to job and yet want me to do the same now.

It's a scam, you'll never see the money in the bank account that's not yours (it's theirs)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Honest Thief posted:

Is it a Nigerian bank?

On a related note: I met a guy who worked for a real Nigerian bank at a project management training course. He was really nice and patiently put up with all our jokes, which I'm sure he heard thousands of times before.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Sounds like you are asking us to convince you not to.

Don't do it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is? :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Honest Thief posted:

Explain to me why you would work a job where they don't actually pay you directly?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another thing to check on is the cost of health benefits when switching jobs. I've made the mistake of just comparing coverage's, making sure deductibles and what not are roughly similar. Only to find that my employee contribution went from like $10 a paycheck to $100.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also, don't gently caress around with taxes. You might hate them, you might be the Ron Paulest, Aynd Randest, most Libertarian of tax detesters, but the IRS will throw you in real prison.

And you won't be able to say "Well my employer was doing it!" because they don't care.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Another thing to check on is the cost of health benefits when switching jobs. I've made the mistake of just comparing coverage's, making sure deductibles and what not are roughly similar. Only to find that my employee contribution went from like $10 a paycheck to $100.

Also 401k vesting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Sickening posted:

Explain to me why you would work a job where they don't actually pay you directly?

The overtaxation in my country has lead to companies resorting to schemes to avoid them, so it's becoming a norm to achieve short term advantages over the rivals. Like, what they're offering is 500€ more than I make, and they pay less tax than my current employers.

It's one of those, "it's legal, for now" loopholes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Username seems oddly appropriate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

Username seems oddly appropriate.

My thoughts exactly.

Also I wanna know what country it is.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Inspector_666 posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Also I wanna know what country it is.

I'm sure in any country in the same situation as mine you would find the same, but in answer, Portugal

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Another one: https://weakdh.org/

Weakness/vulnerability in DH key exchange when using TLS and a 512-bit key, which a scary amount of servers still use. Paper here, and browsers are being updated to auto reject anything smaller than 1024-bit it looks like.

quote:

We carried out this computation against the most common 512-bit prime used for TLS and demonstrate that the Logjam attack can be used to downgrade connections to 80% of TLS servers supporting DHE_EXPORT. We further estimate that an academic team can break a 768-bit prime and that a nation-state can break a 1024-bit prime. Breaking the single, most common 1024-bit prime used by web servers would allow passive eavesdropping on connections to 18% of the Top 1 Million HTTPS domains. A second prime would allow passive decryption of connections to 66% of VPN servers and 26% of SSH servers. A close reading of published NSA leaks shows that the agency's attacks on VPNs are consistent with having achieved such a break.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'm sure in any country in the same situation as mine you would find the same, but in answer, Portugal

Oh. That loophole is kind of common right now here, see http://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/economia/seguranca_social/detalhe/empresas_trocam_salario_por_seguro_mensal_e_fogem_a_tsu.html .

I receive my yearly bonus through this loophole.

For all you guys that might think there's no justification in this, bear in mind that a Master's in Computer Science starting his career in Portugal makes around €16k a year (with some luck) and about 4k(5?) of that goes to the IRS and the company has to pay something like 30% of social security on top of that. This loophole escapes social security but not IRS.

There is a double CCIE in my company that makes something like €30k yearly after tax. That's the state we're in.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

orange sky posted:

Oh. That loophole is kind of common right now here, see http://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/economia/seguranca_social/detalhe/empresas_trocam_salario_por_seguro_mensal_e_fogem_a_tsu.html .

I receive my yearly bonus through this loophole.

Yeah, for now at least, I just don't see it being kept as is.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I was just handed a wiki page on Sharepoint and a powerpoint from some company about SharePoint, told to learn it and that we would be deploying it/utilizing it sometime in the future and I would be the point person on it, and if I needed any books they would be purchased for me.

Any recommendations?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

I was just handed a wiki page on Sharepoint and a powerpoint from some company about SharePoint, told to learn it and that we would be deploying it/utilizing it sometime in the future and I would be the point person on it, and if I needed any books they would be purchased for me.

Any recommendations?

Run away.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

siggy2021 posted:

SHAREPOINT

Any recommendations?

Find another job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

On the plus I see plenty of Sharepoint job postings around town and they seem to pay a bunch. How else do you get that experience without being forced into it?