Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Any of you dudes want any golf clothes for the cost of shipping? I am moving at the end of May and started cleaning out my closets.

So far I've found 3 Nike Dri-Fit shirts (XL) 3 Under Armor (XL) 1 pair of Nike pants (38x32) 1 Pair of Under Armor shorts (38 waist) - Pretty sure I have at least 3 more Nike shirts kicking around somewhere. I don't remember wearing any of this stuff. Mostly because I wear medium golf shirts from Nike and anywhere from 32-34 waist depending on brand name. I haven't been "fat" in years and it was only a short stint of being a lard rear end so these XL and 38 waist items couldn't have lasted more than 1/4 of a season. I'll take some pictures once I finish digging it all out, but I wasn't sure if any of you could wear them or not. It's either this or they go to Good Will/ Trash.
I am a fatty so they will probably fit me. Shipping to Atlanta, 30329?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Any of you dudes want any golf clothes for the cost of shipping? I am moving at the end of May and started cleaning out my closets.

So far I've found 3 Nike Dri-Fit shirts (XL) 3 Under Armor (XL) 1 pair of Nike pants (38x32) 1 Pair of Under Armor shorts (38 waist) - Pretty sure I have at least 3 more Nike shirts kicking around somewhere. I don't remember wearing any of this stuff. Mostly because I wear medium golf shirts from Nike and anywhere from 32-34 waist depending on brand name. I haven't been "fat" in years and it was only a short stint of being a lard rear end so these XL and 38 waist items couldn't have lasted more than 1/4 of a season. I'll take some pictures once I finish digging it all out, but I wasn't sure if any of you could wear them or not. It's either this or they go to Good Will/ Trash.

Dibs on pants?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I am a fatty so they will probably fit me. Shipping to Atlanta, 30329?

I'll finish clearing out my closet later and get a solid tally on what I have. Though I am in Charlotte, NC so shipping to Atlanta can't be bad, plus i get a crazy FedEx discount anyway through work.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

thebushcommander posted:

I'll finish clearing out my closet later and get a solid tally on what I have. Though I am in Charlotte, NC so shipping to Atlanta can't be bad, plus i get a crazy FedEx discount anyway through work.

I'll call dibs on the UA shorts. If you have any large shirts, let me know. I could also maybe grab an XL Nike shirt for my dad if Lyman doesn't want them all.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
XL shirts are my jam if any are left!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Ok, so two of the under armour shirts were basically trash. One was torn on the back that I didn't see earlier and another was pit stained to death and gross (it's hot here :( )

I haven't gone through any old boxes from before I moved last time, so I might have more, but I am not unpacking it since it's already in a box, so it can wait until June :)

I have

3 Nike XL shirts (one is straight up navy dri-fit, another is a light blue with neato designs on the sleeves and it's that neoprene like dri-fit and the 3rd is a cobalt type greyish blue with neon green on the back across the shoulders that is a tour performance dri-fit) Seems to be an amazing amount of different dri-fit materials they use.

1 Under Armour XL shirt that is a dark red - solid color with black UA logo.

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey (Kameh dibs)

1 pair of Black Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also) (Mattfl dibs)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/UwgAAOxyBPZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Not sure what Lyman wanted, but, as to not be greedy with free poo poo I've marked dibbed items with names and you guys can decide who gets what. Lyman can dib whatever remaining items he would like I guess.

Shoot me an email at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is.

On another note.. found out a couple weeks ago that one of my employees husband is a PGA Pro at some course in NC and he gets discounts on whatever. She said he gets free shirts all the time from Adidas and UA that he just sells online, but recently he gave me 6 dozen brand new ProV1's as he is also sponsored by Titleist and apparently has a closet full of boxes. I am playing golf with him in a couple weeks and I will see what type of things he can hook me up with free or cheap. Maybe I'll start my own discount pro v1 sales here ;)

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 13, 2015

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Email sent!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Ok, so two of the under armour shirts were basically trash. One was torn on the back that I didn't see earlier and another was pit stained to death and gross (it's hot here :( )

I haven't gone through any old boxes from before I moved last time, so I might have more, but I am not unpacking it since it's already in a box, so it can wait until June :)

I have

3 Nike XL shirts (one is straight up navy dri-fit, another is a light blue with neato designs on the sleeves and it's that neoprene like dri-fit and the 3rd is a cobalt type greyish blue with neon green on the back across the shoulders that is a tour performance dri-fit) Seems to be an amazing amount of different dri-fit materials they use.

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also) (Mattfl dibs)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/UwgAAOxyBPZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Not sure what Lyman wanted, but, as to not be greedy with free poo poo I've marked dibbed items with names and you guys can decide who gets what. Lyman can dib whatever remaining items he would like I guess.

Shoot me an email at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is.

On another note.. found out a couple weeks ago that one of my employees husband is a PGA Pro at some course in NC and he gets discounts on whatever. She said he gets free shirts all the time from Adidas and UA that he just sells online, but recently he gave me 6 dozen brand new ProV1's as he is also sponsored by Titleist and apparently has a closet full of boxes. I am playing golf with him in a couple weeks and I will see what type of things he can hook me up with free or cheap. Maybe I'll start my own discount pro v1 sales here ;)
I'll take the light blue and cobalt grey Nike shirts. YGM.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I'll take whatever shirts end up not claimed, but frankly there is likely a needier golf goon that I, so it's all good.

Very generous of you to deal some stuff out!

I might have some spikes that are past the point of me returning to Amazon. I'll post them here when I get a change.

Debrain
Jul 11, 2006
When I grow up Im going to be the Bling Bling King.
Any tips on how to choose from the various PGA Pro's around town for lessons? $40/half hour seems to be average price.

Googling each Pro doesn't turn up any review/videos.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Debrain posted:

Any tips on how to choose from the various PGA Pro's around town for lessons? $40/half hour seems to be average price.

It's always been word of mouth for me. My club fitter suggested I go see his guy, since he and I are pretty similar personality wise.

I'd say call and ask if you can observe a lesson or two, talk to other customers, etc?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Debrain posted:

There are rankings for teaching pro's too, but who knows how accurate that is. Someone can be great for one person and poo poo for another. I've never taken a lesson before, but my step father recently got into golfing more regularly and he took some group lessons that were fairly cheap and then out of that determined that the guy doing the group lesson would be a good fit for one-on-one lessons. Believe he ended up buying some package lesson thing from the guy, like 5 lessons, get one free. All I know is he went from shooting 120+ every round he played to actually having a good swing and shooting mid-90's after the lessons. His biggest problem now is consistency and putting, but you can't really teach the former. Guess what I am saying is lessons are good for newbs :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

thebushcommander posted:

I have

1 Nike XL shirts (straight up navy dri-fit) Lyman has claimed the other 2 shirts.

1 pair Nike Dri-Fit pants 38x30 (I normally where 32 inseam so they should be good for that also)

Nike Pants are back up for grabs. Also haven't gotten email on any other items except for 2 Nike shirts (light blue and cobalt) by Lyman.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Nike Pants are back up for grabs. Also haven't gotten email on any other items except for 2 Nike shirts (light blue and cobalt) by Lyman.
I would also like to claim the pants if that's not asking for too much. The only golf pants I currently have were on clearance from Target. :smith:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

I would also like to claim the pants if that's not asking for too much. The only golf pants I currently have were on clearance from Target. :smith:

Doesn't matter to me. I sent you a reply email this morning on shipping stuffs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Doesn't matter to me. I sent you a reply email this morning on shipping stuffs
Done and done.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Still up for grabs

1 Nike XL shirt (straight up navy, dri-fit)

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey

1 pair of Black, Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3N...ZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Email me at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is if you want something.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Emailed you about the shirts. My username and my email name match :)

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

thebushcommander posted:

Still up for grabs

1 Nike XL shirt (straight up navy, dri-fit)

1 pair of Under Armour shorts (38 waist) in light grey

1 pair of Black, Nike Dri-Fit Shorts (38 waist)

1 Pair of Walter Hagen dri-fit shorts 38 waist, grey plaid type look. (basically these http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3N...ZTfR0D/$_12.JPG)

Email me at mlinzz at gmail.com with your address and SA username and I'll figure out what shipping is if you want something.

Sorry for the delay. Sent an email.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Anyone ever play Edel wedges? Thinking about switching to these from my vokeys. I'm going to get a wedge fitting done sometime in the next few weeks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in Florida this week? I'm off friday and all my golfing buddies have to work and I REALLY wanna get out. Was thinking Orange County National or one of the Disney courses or something along those lines.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Holy poo poo. My wife gets me random golf related things for christmas that I may or may not have bought on my own, and I just put on the glove she got me. It's a "Bionic" glove which has extra padding inside. This is the first time I've ever felt like my hand was welded to the goddamn grip. I'm in love, especially with the weakness in my hand lately. Seriously, after only 4 holes with it *goddamn thunderstorm*, I'm already sold on these things permanently.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, found a couple guys to play friday and what do I see in my email, $39 early morning tee times at Orange County National?? gently caress yes please!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Oh man, found a couple guys to play friday and what do I see in my email, $39 early morning tee times at Orange County National?? gently caress yes please!
According to Google maps, I can get a flight from Atlanta for just $88! :v:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

According to Google maps, I can get a flight from Atlanta for just $88! :v:

$88 for the flight plus $39 for the tee time is almost the price of the normal tee time! They have a deal tomorrow, all day golf after 10:30 for $49 :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Nerdrock posted:

Holy poo poo. My wife gets me random golf related things for christmas that I may or may not have bought on my own, and I just put on the glove she got me. It's a "Bionic" glove which has extra padding inside. This is the first time I've ever felt like my hand was welded to the goddamn grip. I'm in love, especially with the weakness in my hand lately. Seriously, after only 4 holes with it *goddamn thunderstorm*, I'm already sold on these things permanently.

I too discovered the joys of the bionic. It makes it feel like you're using thicker grips on the club also helps keep your hand from moving when you're swinging balls out at 120mph as I sometimes do :D

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Man, the Panther Lake course ate my lunch when I was there last year. Worst round of my vacation, but also the most interesting course that I played.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Man, the Panther Lake course ate my lunch when I was there last year. Worst round of my vacation, but also the most interesting course that I played.

Last September I played crooked cat and Panther lake back to back. I def liked crooked cat better, shot 80/81, let's see if I can beat that 80. :)

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Last September I played crooked cat and Panther lake back to back. I def liked crooked cat better, shot 80/81, let's see if I can beat that 80. :)

Yeah, that was my plan, but after I finished Panther at noon-ish, it was super humid and there were thunderstorm warnings, so I elected to go get drunk at Epcot instead.

Speaking of FL golf, what's the word on Mystic Dunes? They're right next door to the resort I'm likely staying in this year (Windsor Hills), and their rates seem low.

My current list of courses I'm planning on playing is:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St. Cloud
Falcon’s Fire
Disney’s Magnolia GC

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

I too discovered the joys of the bionic. It makes it feel like you're using thicker grips on the club also helps keep your hand from moving when you're swinging balls out at 120mph as I sometimes do :D

My lovely grip was starting to wear through the gloves I liked after a single range session, so I started going no gloves, and it helped my grip a ton. Forced me to hold the club correctly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Yeah, that was my plan, but after I finished Panther at noon-ish, it was super humid and there were thunderstorm warnings, so I elected to go get drunk at Epcot instead.

Speaking of FL golf, what's the word on Mystic Dunes? They're right next door to the resort I'm likely staying in this year (Windsor Hills), and their rates seem low.

My current list of courses I'm planning on playing is:
New Course at Cypress Villas
Royal St. Cloud
Falcon’s Fire
Disney’s Magnolia GC

Mystic is great! You'll enjoy it.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Mystic is great! You'll enjoy it.

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

California golf courses are basically going to be Mad Max: Fury Golf in about a month, playing someplace with actual green grass is going to be a hell of a culture shock.

I've just come back from the future and it's grim.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I had a pretty freaking awesome day today

Birdied the last 2 holes to shoot even par on the back, and the last birdie was a 40 footer uphill, even the guys I was playing with were pretty excited when that fell. 2 3 putts on the front hurt me a little. Course was in absolute pristine condition, their email said it was tournament ready and I believe it. This is by far the best round I've shot on one of the more challenging courses I play.

UnionCarbide posted:

Oh man, we've had plenty of rain here in Central florida too the past couple weeks so the courses are as green as ever.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

UnionCarbide posted:

Stevinson Ranch out by Turlock, CA is closing. Super fun course too........got way too expensive for the locals the last few years though ($70) and they were trying to build semi-custom homes along it at one point that never panned out.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/sports/article21424410.html

http://www.ncga.org/2015/05/19/stevinson-ranch-gc-to-close-july-20/

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

Stevinson Ranch out by Turlock, CA is closing. Super fun course too........got way too expensive for the locals the last few years though ($70) and they were trying to build semi-custom homes along it at one point that never panned out.

Yeah, I think I have a voucher for that course I need to burn before they go under. Diablo Grande over in Patterson closed the better of their two golf courses too (they kept the one you drive past when you're coming into the housing development, which is a garbage course for garbage people). I think all those "out in the middle of goddamned nowhere in the central valley" courses are pretty much boned.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Definitely make someone rally with you out there and play after 12, it's great fun especially if you are stuck playing 6hr rounds in the bay area. I finished a round there last July 4 in the afternoon in 2.5 hrs.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Paging Dr. Fun. Paging Dr. Fun, come in Dr. Fun...

My B-Day is next week and my Dad wants to take me golfing. We were thinking of swinging out to StoneRidge, and were wondering what it is playing like since they airrated a week or two ago?

Let me know if it is rolling nice out that way, or if we should head down to Hale Irwins' The Jewel instead.

Thanks man!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I was out there today, the fairways/rough are in really good shape.

The greens have come back quite a bit, I'd say they are probably 80%. Definitely not smooth as silk yet, most are in good shape though with a few lagging behind a bit. They are NOT like playing on newly aerated greens though, way better than that.

The tees were also punched a couple weeks ago and inexplicably a couple are pretty sandy still, but I think the weird ones are on holes where you'd hit driver anyways. Those haven't bothered me at all.

That said, as of today they were still charging spring rates, which is like 59 or something, which is a good deal. I'd call them up and check on price for next week though.

I shot an 80 today with 40 putts, it was awesome. Not blaming that on the greens, just on my terrible putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't really play golf. I haven't played in a year and went out today and shot a totally legit 108 (my best score ever to be honest). This is just to let you know where I am.

I am taking a lesson series called Get Ready Golf. The reason I am posting is because I have no fairway woods. I do not want to spend a lot because I am not sure if I will stick with this. The store up the street has a set of Callaway Great Big Bertha 2 Fairway Woods (3/5/7) for 40 bucks total. Would those be OK for a beginner or should I not worry about getting any right now? I have a 4 hybrid and the the standard iron set + a driver right now.