Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Play Pier Pressure and slug everyone on the pier. You won't ever get a wanted level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wee Bairns posted:

GTA Online always seems to be borked for me if I try to go online fresh from a PS4 suspend. I'll either end up in a solo lobby to which no one can join, or I am unable to join anyone else without timing out.
It does not play well with suspend mode.

This is about right. Never suspend GTA V if you ever plan to play online.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I started playing GTAV Online about a week ago and love it. I have learned that RP level and skill level mean nothing. The level 80 guy will act just as retarded as the level 8 guy.

How can I raise my strength quickly or in a fun way? Punching random pedestrians has barely accomplished anything. Stregth is the only stat that I have that is not rising at all.

Play golf. Fist-fighting NPCs and punching occupied vehicles used to do a lot but R* has done everything to ensure that you can't readily grind secondary stats while ignoring disappearing closet and garage items, horrifying skin cancer, and giant meteors tumbling from the heavens and into downtown.

Also, while the level 80 dude acts just like the level 8 dude, the level 80 dude has like 40% more health and armor each.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I have found that I must play 9-18 holes of golf everyday, and that the variables hardly mean dick. A +2 wind will drift the same as a +5. I'll play one round -2, play it again with same conditions, and be +4. I love it.

Also found out while on a Jason Vorheese rampage that a playboy style mansion is across the street. I saw a topless chick with an impressive rack in the grotto and felt compelled to kill with a knife.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fastest way to train strength is probably to launch a Geralt mission and drive to the beach area. There's tons of surfers and bodybuilders there that fight back, and take a few hits to go down, and you'll never get the police on you while on a Geralt mission.

It's pretty boring, though. Mostly because it takes like 20 punches to go up one percent.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

hagie posted:

Also found out while on a Jason Vorheese rampage that a playboy style mansion is across the street. I saw a topless chick with an impressive rack in the grotto and felt compelled to kill with a knife.

She clearly was asking for it.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Fastest way to train strength is probably to launch a Geralt mission and drive to the beach area. There's tons of surfers and bodybuilders there that fight back, and take a few hits to go down, and you'll never get the police on you while on a Geralt mission.

It's pretty boring, though. Mostly because it takes like 20 punches to go up one percent.

Actively punching dudes is probably the wrong way of going about it tbh, since if you just run along the boardwalk punching people in the back of the head while they flee you can more easily autopilot it while watching a show or listening to a podcast. Ducking incoming punches requires more concentration on the boring task.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

hellfaucet posted:

She clearly was asking for it.

Why wouldn't she already be half naked if she wasn't. Stabbed her clothed friend because she didn't seem interested and wanted to run. Then I ate some P's & Q's

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

I've been trying to do this lately and whenever I go there, the beach is almost abandoned, save for the odd chick in a bikini, homeless guy, or surfer. Are there some missions that just cut down the population or something? I have literally never seen bodybuilders at the beach (even in the little muscle beach analogue).

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Brosnan posted:

I've been trying to do this lately and whenever I go there, the beach is almost abandoned, save for the odd chick in a bikini, homeless guy, or surfer. Are there some missions that just cut down the population or something? I have literally never seen bodybuilders at the beach (even in the little muscle beach analogue).

Start up any random Gerald mission and hit up the beach. The muscle guys work out on the equipment from dawn till dusk and can eat the most punches. Farm them until nightfall then run up and down the sidewalk punching hobos and hookers until sunrise.

e: Speaking of strength, does anyone know if it affects rolling when you hit the ground after a fall? Have been doing Pacific Standard with some buddies and kept yelling at them to roll after they climb over the walls in the alley. They claimed that they were mashing the button, but they would always just splat and spew out cash. I have max strength and they all had less than one bar. Not sure if there really is a connection there or if they're just retards.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 20, 2015

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I've never gotten the impression that it was an active thing, just based on whether you're trying to jump too far. Supposedly strength makes you more durable in the sense of taking physical (non-bullet) punishment and I feel like I take less fall damage than players with low strength. It might affect it in that way.

Edit: Like the game knows if you're gonna fall too far as soon as you jump, my dude does the ragdoll faceplant poo poo as soon as I crest a jump that is too high up. He doesn't ragdoll when you actually hit the ground, the game decided long before that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Considering there is no button to engage a falling roll and there's only one spot you can climb that fence without splatting, you probably shouldn't be yelling at your friends.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Considering there is no button to engage a falling roll and there's only one spot you can climb that fence without splatting, you probably shouldn't be yelling at your friends.

Are you kidding? You hit spacebar. Both of the walls you climb over you can avoid taking damage on. The first wall you go over has a landing midway that covers half the wall, the second wall you can roll when you go over anywhere along it.

Those falls aren't far enough to rag-doll and you can't roll at the end of a fall where you are rag-dolling anyway. Its not even ten feet and I was rolling and avoiding damage each time, while my three teammates never could, despite mashing spacebar.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 20, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You have to leap that fence far enough to the left. There's a large section near the edge of the building you jump to that you will enter a splat animation because it wants you to fall all the way, even if you jumped onto the building. There is no button to engage a falling roll, it just happens at a certain height and out of circumstances like the above.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Golf seeems to be the only thing that noticeably increased my stregth in a short amount of time. Playing 9 holes or 1 hole didn't make any noticeable difference in stregth gain. Playing alone or with another player didn't matter either.

So playing the shortest hole (# 6) repeatedly gave me 1 stregth bar after 20 minutes. The only thing slowing down grinding stregth this way is the fact I have to load after every hole. And you make no money amd little RP too.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

You have to leap that fence far enough to the left. There's a large section near the edge of the building you jump to that you will enter a splat animation because it wants you to fall all the way, even if you jumped onto the building. There is no button to engage a falling roll, it just happens at a certain height and out of circumstances like the above.

You're right that there's no button and that the roll is passive, but there is something to it.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeiL_8ZUrxc

100% of the time I follow that path and that is the outcome. Quick recovery, no damage taken. When my three teammates followed the exact same path, they would fall flat on their loving faces and take damage every single time.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Jesus Christ this loving game is 99.99996% sitting in a goddamned lobby waiting for three people to join you, then praying one of them doesn't loving decide to quit the moment you get to the next heist setup screen, thus crashing to not back to the previous screen, not even back into the GTA Online session, but back into loving STORY MODE SO YOU HAVE TO RELOAD GTA ONLINE AGAIN SO IT TAKES loving FOREVER

WHO THE gently caress DESIGNED THIS poo poo

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah, like a few inches to the right of where he vaulted would automatically send you into a hitting-every-tree-branch animation. You splat on the roof then splat on the ground beside it.

Nothing more to say other than Rockstar :mad:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Keshik posted:

Jesus Christ this loving game is 99.99996% sitting in a goddamned lobby waiting for three people to join you, then praying one of them doesn't loving decide to quit the moment you get to the next heist setup screen, thus crashing to not back to the previous screen, not even back into the GTA Online session, but back into loving STORY MODE SO YOU HAVE TO RELOAD GTA ONLINE AGAIN SO IT TAKES loving FOREVER

This why i'll never touch heists. They were cooler in the single player.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The roll has to do with sprinting, I'm never mashing anything when I roll. That guy seems to be sprinting the entire time. Speaking of which, if you are using mouse and keyboard, don't be mashing sprint. Took me a while to realize it since I switch between gamepad and mouse so often, but there's no button tap mechanic to sprinting. If you are tapping the button, you are just toggling sprint on and off. Is this how it works if you end up binding sprint to L3? I haven't figured out how to heavy bike sprint with the mouse and keyboard. I also can't quite figure out swimming, is there some sort of sprint with that on the surface? Cause I just seem to dive underwater whenever I try.

Keshik posted:

Do some solo missions. What rank are you? As you rank up, stuff starts to unlock in the world like gang attacks and armored trucks and stuff. Take a chill pill and just drive around for a bit.

I said come in! posted:

Finally did my first heist last night. My buddy unlocked his high end apartment so we did the Fleeca job together. We managed to do almost do it on the first go except at the very end it was kind of unclear as to how the game wanted you to escape so I tried to get creative and ended up missing whatever time limit was on there when I got stuck for a few seconds. Kinda don't see the point of the helicopter escape, the police have helicopters too and the Armored Kuruma is almost certainly more durable than that helicopter. Also if I was being lifted off anyway, why not use the helicopter as the getaway vehicle to begin with? The whole drive up I was trying to call in my jetski in hopes of using that, but was ultimately disappointed.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 20, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

You need to do them with friends for them not to be suicide inducing.

My best rando heist story was raiding the yacht for Series A. Everything went fine besides one death until we went to escape the cops on the jetskis. One of the randos jumped in the water and couldn't figure out how to surface, so he just swam in circles while everyone yelled at him until he drowned and we failed.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've had 2 pubbie heists go well, out of probably 30-40. I've had 99% of my Goon heists (orchestrated via Mumble. GET IN MUMBLE) go well.

I joined one pubbie heists and a lvl 3 was in it. Quit straight away and the host texted me and said "Come back". Just told him no way, heisting at level 3 is a bad idea as the guy has no health and hardly any armor.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

My best rando heist story was raiding the yacht for Series A. Everything went fine besides one death until we went to escape the cops on the jetskis. One of the randos jumped in the water and couldn't figure out how to surface, so he just swam in circles while everyone yelled at him until he drowned and we failed.

I once got knocked off my jetski by a police boat and died trying to find my way to the tunnel

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Keshik posted:

Yeah, this. I also love how trying to join a "quick mission" from your phone doesn't check if the lobby is full until after loading the entire location or mission or whatever it does, and then you're kicked back to your spawn location prompting another loading session. I almost regret not installing to my SSD, but it's 60gb and now I'm too burnt out to bother making room for it. It's fun in short bursts. Drive around in free-mode for a bit, play a mission or two then stop playing for the day when I'm kicked into story mode or the game crashes after an hour or two. For heists I join a lobby then alt+tab out to watch a movie or something until it's ready to go.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't figured out how to heavy bike sprint with the mouse and keyboard. I also can't quite figure out swimming, is there some sort of sprint with that on the surface? Cause I just seem to dive underwater whenever I try.

Toogle bike sprint with Caps Lock, swim fast by holding shift*, and dive with space bar.

*Edit: On the surface. Underwater shift is just the regular swimming button, and there's no sprint.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
edit: double post

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Akion posted:

I've had 2 pubbie heists go well, out of probably 30-40. I've had 99% of my Goon heists (orchestrated via Mumble. GET IN MUMBLE) go well.

I joined one pubbie heists and a lvl 3 was in it. Quit straight away and the host texted me and said "Come back". Just told him no way, heisting at level 3 is a bad idea as the guy has no health and hardly any armor.

"I have no idea what I'm doing" - level 9 pilot for the Prison Break finals right before he flew directly into the enemy Lazer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why do so many people suck at flying? It seems preposterously easy to takeoff and land planes and helicopters in this game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chickpea Roar posted:

swim fast by holding shift*, and dive with space bar.

Edit: On the surface. Underwater shift is just the regular swimming button, and there's no sprint.

When I swim I'm usually using the gamepad, and with the Standard FPS 2, RB is both sprint and dive. So I guess I just need to hold it. Thanks!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rt4 posted:

Why do so many people suck at flying? It seems preposterously easy to takeoff and land planes and helicopters in this game.

It's not takeoff and landing that's the problem - it's everything in between.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

rt4 posted:

The self preservation instinct is hard to come by in a video game like this. I mean I'm pretty good at flying, but then again I first tried flight simulator when I was like 7 years old and that was over 20 years ago and I've been flying fake planes ever since.

**I'd probably be an awesome drone pilot

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, like a few inches to the right of where he vaulted would automatically send you into a hitting-every-tree-branch animation. You splat on the roof then splat on the ground beside it.

Nothing more to say other than Rockstar :mad:

Nope, there is not a single part of that roof that I don't roll on, I even roll when landing on the edge with one foot floating in the air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4LaqR_iUU4

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The roll has to do with sprinting, I'm never mashing anything when I roll. That guy seems to be sprinting the entire time.

Nope, you don't have to sprint, the roll just happens when you're holding a direction when you land. If I don't press any directional button I just land square on my feet.

vvvv If you don't suck at aiming, you can headshot most of the noose guys as they enter the area and run towards cover.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

rt4 posted:

I really don't know. Even going into it blind as a pilot I realized I could just fly in circles constantly and never get shot down, it's honestly the easiest and least stressful part of that heist. I really don't like being in the actual prison itself, because the shootout is so long that it chews through all 4 of my super heavy armor, even when I'm in cover 100% of the time and only popping out to kill a dude or two. I really don't get how you avoid getting randomly headshot.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Don't know what to say. I just spent the last two evenings rolling on the left and falling on the right. I'm so sick of that mission now...

My point was, though, stop yelling at your friends.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Chickpea Roar posted:

Yeah, this. I also love how trying to join a "quick mission" from your phone doesn't check if the lobby is full until after loading the entire location or mission or whatever it does, and then you're kicked back to your spawn location prompting another loading session. I almost regret not installing to my SSD, but it's 60gb and now I'm too burnt out to bother making room for it. It's fun in short bursts. Drive around in free-mode for a bit, play a mission or two then stop playing for the day when I'm kicked into story mode or the game crashes after an hour or two. For heists I join a lobby then alt+tab out to watch a movie or something until it's ready to go.

I have an SSD, loading still takes FOR loving EVER.

This is just a horribly designed game.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Dear god, has the hacking massively increased within a week or am I just unlucky? I just left the 3rd Session cause of some hacking twat. If they were at least the zany kind who spawn random poo poo but nope, aimbots, explosive smgs invisibility and of course invincible. Are cheaters even getting banned at this point? This is on the PC btw.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I want to get better at flying helicopters. And planes, but mostly helicopters. I'm awful with them, even with flying skill around, I dunno, 85. Any tips for ways to familiarize myself with the characteristics of helicopters? I feel like I mostly got through flight school through luck and bullheadedness rather than much skill on my own part.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Keshik posted:

I have an SSD, loading still takes FOR loving EVER.

This is just a horribly designed game.

I think it's just terrible network design, because with an SSD my load times are obnoxious getting in to online but pretty damned fast for just loading in to the single player. So at least you can isolate it to Rockstar's lovely servers I guess.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bobfly posted:

I want to get better at flying helicopters. And planes, but mostly helicopters. I'm awful with them, even with flying skill around, I dunno, 85. Any tips for ways to familiarize myself with the characteristics of helicopters? I feel like I mostly got through flight school through luck and bullheadedness rather than much skill on my own part.

Go passive (or join a solo session) and practice hopping from rooftop to rooftop in downtown LS. Once you get the hang of landing/taking off in tight spaces, practice flying under the bridges in the canal. Eventually you should be able to fly under all of them that are wide enough for your rotors to clear.

Most people don't use the yaw controls enough (shoulder buttons on your gamepad). It makes small corrections much much easier.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bobfly posted:

Use an xbox controller, its much more pleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's just terrible network design, because with an SSD my load times are obnoxious getting in to online but pretty damned fast for just loading in to the single player. So at least you can isolate it to Rockstar's lovely servers I guess.

The horribly long load times for online are completely due to the server and matchmaking or something. If you're doing missions/heists and don't care if there are no random people, start online with one of the solo/friends only/invite only lobby types and you will load much faster back in after exiting to free roam. It does mean you need to load up single player when you first start the game to set it to that, but the faster load times over all makes up for it.

• Locked thread