Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
"We tried to make it feel like it was more than a job these last four years, but right now, it’s still a job and Grantland is still being consumed and judged by the general public (with unusually high standards, too)."

What is this referring to? The transgender putter story? Why does Simmons think Grantland is judged with unusually high standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Because they have excellent writers?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Because the average article quality is higher than other sports outlets. The standard they are being judged against is the one they set themselves.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think people judged it highly because it was the new kid on the block of long-form/prestige journalism. Unlike other sources of content like theirs, Grantland didn't have a few decades of credibility to fall back on. That's also why that massive gently caress up on the trans/putter story was so damaging.
Since then I think they've done a lot to push against that, but I think that's mostly because they have such excellent writers that would never gently caress up like that. Brian Phillips, Charlie Pierce, and Wesley Morris ooze credibility and legitimacy. (Andrew Sharpe on the other hand sounds like he wants a job on first take)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

I think people judged it highly because it was the new kid on the block of long-form/prestige journalism. Unlike other sources of content like theirs, Grantland didn't have a few decades of credibility to fall back on. That's also why that massive gently caress up on the trans/putter story was so damaging.
Since then I think they've done a lot to push against that, but I think that's mostly because they have such excellent writers that would never gently caress up like that. Brian Phillips, Charlie Pierce, and Wesley Morris ooze credibility and legitimacy. (Andrew Sharpe on the other hand sounds like he wants a job on first take)

Andrew Sharp is a goofy 20-something that enjoys writing silly articles. He would be incredibly out of place on First Take because he actually understands how ridiculous sports are.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Andrew Sharp is a goofy 20-something that enjoys writing silly articles. He would be incredibly out of place on First Take because he actually understands how ridiculous sports are.

I liked his early fake "hot takes" but now it seems they are bleeding over into his non-parody work.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

BWV posted:

I liked his early fake "hot takes" but now it seems they are bleeding over into his non-parody work.

Whenever I see his name, I have to remember to find the "THIS IS SATIRE" caption, then I read the article and look for it again. Then I become confused and walk away.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Sharp seems like a nice guy and a decent writer without a clear role at Grantland and not a lot to say.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's one of the editors on the sports side so presumably he's doing a lot to drive the site beyond just writing stuff (they have like 80 people with "editor" in their title so maybe not, but he seems like one of the more active ones). It is true though that his actual opinions have tended to be almost as dumb as the stuff he used to make fun of.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 17, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Barnwell wrote something about Simmons.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/599825263673745408

Noticed most of the writers re-tweeting it and some changed their avatars on Twitter. Seems like most of the people at Grantland liked working for him. Probably a tricky situation though to speak up at this time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad that Bill Branwell found his voice as "tediously boring football stats guy".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I'm glad that Bill Branwell found his voice as "tediously boring football stats guy".

It was tough for him to find his voice through his ceaseless wheezing and gulp noises

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 18, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Barnwell's best skill is knowledge of 90s post-hardcore bands

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alain Post posted:

I appreciate this post for the subtle name misspelling

midwat
May 6, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I appreciate this post for the subtle name misspelling

Bill Branwell is a good source of fiber and roughage

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

midwat posted:

Bill Branwell is a good source of fiber and roughage

Actually, in such a small sample, it's impossible to determine whether improved digestion is due to the branwell or through luck. I'll tell you what though, those bowel movements on unsustainable [huge sigh/wheeze] due for some regression.

midwat
May 6, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Actually, in such a small sample, it's impossible to determine whether improved digestion is due to the branwell or through luck. I'll tell you what though, those bowel movements on unsustainable [huge sigh/wheeze] due for some regression.

Sure, next you'll be telling me bowel momentum is a myth.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I'd love to hear BIll talk about the Clips... or any of the playoff series, really. Man, the timing of it is just ESPN saying, "you want to talk about he NBA playoffs? You can't now. gently caress you." Could be a coincidence, but I want to maximize my drama.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Marklar posted:

I'd love to hear BIll talk about the Clips... or any of the playoff series, really.

For a second I thought you were talking about Barnwell and it kind of completely broke my brain.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Clippers have just had bad turnover luck and should return to the mean next season

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Why would Doc Rivers bother inbounding the ball to Chris Paul with 1.2 seconds left in the half? The chance of him making a halfcourt desperation shot doesn't at all make up for the odds that he suffers a freak injury; just hold the ball and head into the locker room

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

So It Goes posted:

"We tried to make it feel like it was more than a job these last four years, but right now, it’s still a job and Grantland is still being consumed and judged by the general public (with unusually high standards, too)."

What is this referring to? The transgender putter story? Why does Simmons think Grantland is judged with unusually high standards?

I think is talking about how everyone is worried that Grantland is going to go to poo poo now that Simmons is gone. So everything on the site is going to be under a microscope with regards to it turning into clickbait.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm shocked that Bill Barnwell is only 31. I'd have bet he was in his 40s, easily.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Chris Sheridan sucks

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

You cut off the worst, creepiest part.

quote:

Yes, this is a shame. But the lottery is not about trophy wives or trophy daughters or even trophies — at least in the short term. It is about hope for the future, and the T-Wolves have a little more of that now with a young core that includes Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins, 2013 No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett (if he does not turn into LaRue Martin 2.0) and the Spaniard who is the Mallory Edens of young men, Ricky Rubio.

Yipes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Trophy daughters?? I am unclear how that would even work past the initial grossness of the statement.

"Yeah I went to the daughter store and picked up some hot babes, can't wait for people to check my new daughters out."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I know this gets said about like half the sports writers out there, but holy poo poo how did that make it past a single editor?

Edit: durr, didn't even notice it was his own drat website, no wonder.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
One person I hope survives any incoming Grantland changes is Jonathan Abrams. I feel like he churns out the best work but I can't imagine writing a monthly in-depth profile of an athlete is very lucrative beyond the "prestige" factor. While they have a tendency to be puffery, I do enjoy his articles and hope they continue to find a home at Grantland or somewhere else.

I thought about this after reading his article today on Mozgov. I remember enjoying his pieces on Mike Miller, Josh Smith, Draymond Green, and Mike Conley as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Glen Taylor's wife looks like your typical Republican wife. I'm sure she's a fine person, but it's weird that Sheridan has such a boner for a middle-aged woman. Why did he think this was a good idea? What point was he trying to make?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Glen Taylor's wife looks like your typical Republican wife. I'm sure she's a fine person, but it's weird that Sheridan has such a boner for a middle-aged woman. Why did he think this was a good idea? What point was he trying to make?
To be honest it's hilarious just for how bizarre it all is. Who knew Chris Sheridan was DTF random women who show up on his TV screen?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

It sounds like he's got a boner for Ricky Rubio too (to be fair who doesn't)

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

So It Goes posted:

One person I hope survives any incoming Grantland changes is Jonathan Abrams. I feel like he churns out the best work but I can't imagine writing a monthly in-depth profile of an athlete is very lucrative beyond the "prestige" factor. While they have a tendency to be puffery, I do enjoy his articles and hope they continue to find a home at Grantland or somewhere else.

I thought about this after reading his article today on Mozgov. I remember enjoying his pieces on Mike Miller, Josh Smith, Draymond Green, and Mike Conley as well.

he's writing, or has written, a book about the high-school-to-NBA trend that's coming out next year fyi

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

leokitty posted:

Trophy daughters?? I am unclear how that would even work past the initial grossness of the statement.

"Yeah I went to the daughter store and picked up some hot babes, can't wait for people to check my new daughters out."

She actually commented on it on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/MedensEdens/status/601042736649793537

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Does anybody have a link to the sports illustrated article about the closing of yankee stadium. where they spend seven pages writing about the stadium in the first person, and end by saying the most proud moment in baseball history was george bush throwing out the first pitch in the world series

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Apparently Joel McHale will be hosting the ESPYS. Man, if ESPN didn't like Simmons making GBS threads all over Goodell...

midwat
May 6, 2007

hcreight posted:

Apparently Joel McHale will be hosting the ESPYS. Man, if ESPN didn't like Simmons making GBS threads all over Goodell...

I guarantee you they've straitjacketed every ESPYs host since Norm burned it down that one year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Isn't it prerecorded anyway? They'll just edit out all the shots at the NFL.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Isn't it prerecorded anyway? They'll just edit out all the shots at the NFL.

Not anymore.

Also this year it's going to be on ABC, so that's even more visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

midwat posted:

I guarantee you they've straitjacketed every ESPYs host since Norm burned it down that one year.

why would someone be stupid enough to give Norm a hot mic in an event like that, much less host