Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke), and picked up OMP-I to fiddle with.

Are you playing single player, or are you playing on Stealth Archer's server?

quote:

some poo poo brown lake that I think poisoned me when I fell in it

Congratulations on identifying it correctly, it is indeed literal poo poo! You can thank MFR for adding sewage! It's used for making crop fertilizer, but really not needed (thanks to Agricraft, KoL took a tiny 7x7 autofarm I'd made last night and upgraded the crops so that it was producing 3-4 THOUSAND wheat an hour).

quote:

There's a whole bunch of magic stuff mods I've never seen before

Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and Botania seem to be the best magic mods. They're basically esoteric tech mods hidden behind "maaaagic!", though Thaumcraft has an annoying research aspect to it.

quote:

I thought I'd best ask if there's any particular gotchas I should be aware of or if I'm good to just blindly forge ahead with landscaping and rebuilding this area to be nicer looking and not so gravel filled.

Don't stand under falling sand/gravel? As far as I can tell there's no sneaky terrain bombs of death in OMP-i. No Gas Craft so no opening up a cave filled with natural gas and suffocating. Just don't go too into Dimensional Door random dungeons as you'll lag the server to death, and don't research too many "forbidden" items in Thaumcraft too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Why exactly didn't they move over? I know the way objects are referenced is different, is it just that the tools like forge lagged so long that nobody wanted to go to the effort? Is this likely to change in 1.9?

There was a ton of internal changes to 1.8 including how rendering works and what rendering methods were valid to use. 1.8 uses a very strict rendering method which makes implementing some mods not possible, for example the carpenters block mod, according to its dev, is not possible without certain rendering options so he can't update to 1.8 (if this is actually true, I'm unsure, it might be possible but could be incredibly time consuming).

I'm going to preface the next part that I am an amateur with java and that I do not explain poo poo very well when it comes to code, so the next part might be a bit off base, I would recomend looking at Wuppy29's notes on updating from 1.7 to 1.8 to get a better idea of the changes that need to be done with just updating a mod or Grey's posts on how block rendering and Blockstates work. Anyway, poorly worded rant ahead.

I'm currently writing a 1.8 mod and pretty much everything has changed compared to how you do things in 1.7, so updating mods requires pretty much complete rewrites of everything. On top of this how blocks are registered is now a bit of a complicated process. MC has removed metadata and relies on a new blockstate and .json files. Blockstates are a pain to work with compared to the 1.7 method and for each block you add you need a blockstate.json (which isn't too bad, say I have a singular block type with variants so it uses one block ID and uses iblockstate to define different variants for that block using the memory that can be allocated to the block, which is basically what metadata did before, I can have one blockstate.json that covers all variants of the block) and each block, regardless if it is a variant, requires its each individual model.json for rendering the block and item.json for rendering as an item when dropped/in the hand.

For example, I have a decorative block that looks like a wooden crate. This block has 10 variants (so uses data 0-9) to look like the crate contains different goods.

I have one blockstate.json that covers all variants of this block, it looks like:

{
"variants": {
"variant=closed": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_closed" },
"variant=apple": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_apple" },
"variant=berry": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_berry" },
"variant=carrot": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_carrot" },
"variant=fish": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_fish" },
"variant=grain": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_grain" },
"variant=ingot": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_ingot" },
"variant=potato": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_potato" },
"variant=sugar": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_sugar" }
}
}

All 10 variants of this block needs its own block model.json, it looks like:

{
"parent": "block/cube_top",
"textures": {
"top": "wilsonsmpblocks:blocks/crate_apple",
"side": "wilsonsmpblocks:blocks/crate_closed"
}
}

All 10 variants of this block needs its own item model.json, it looks like:

{
"parent": "wilsonsmpblocks:block/crate_apple",
"display": {
"thirdperson": {
"rotation": [ 10, -45, 170 ],
"translation": [ 0, 1.5, -2.75 ],
"scale": [ 0.375, 0.375, 0.375 ]
}
}
}

Then of course you have the block registration so that needs, in my example, BlockCrate.java that registers the actual block with Forger and register the render, sets up via IBlockState that there are variants, and sets the blocks properties such has material type, hardness, resistance, where its located in creative tabs, etc. Then you have ItemBlockCrate.java which represents the different block subtypes.

So for a singular block that has 10 variants, you have two class files, 1 blockstate.json, 10 block model.json and 10 item.json.

Its a lot of poo poo to write and the blockstates get complicated once you start doing things like blocks that have special shapes and are not just simple cubes.

That all said, I do think I actually prefer the way things are done now even if it is more work, it diffenitly helps that I am not trying update a 1.7 mod and am more or less starting fresh (my previous work being javascript running through the CustomStuff2 mod).

As for your question on 1.9, blockstates might get a better implementation for 1.9, but the devs have stated that they are going to try not to push any internal changes to the code and more or less just push an update that consists of new content and Searge has stated that it should be easier for modders to adopt from 1.8 to 1.9 than going from say 1.4 to 1.5, 1.5 to 1.6, etc, etc.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 20, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

TheresaJayne posted:

Metal Blocks never seem to melt either, you need to split blocks into ingots to make them melt.

Huh? The smeltery melts alumite blocks just fine. Which metal blocks does it not?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The only time the smeltery has ever gotten "stuck" melting items for me is when TPS was below 20. The progress bar is clientside, but the progress is server-side. So if TPS is below 20, the progress bar desynchs. This is obviously more pronounced with items that take longer to melt, like blocks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is OMPi supposed to take 15 minutes to load since the update? I thought it'd be a one-time thing after I updated it, but this is the second time and it's taking forever. God help me if this crashes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is OMPi supposed to take 15 minutes to load since the update? I thought it'd be a one-time thing after I updated it, but this is the second time and it's taking forever. God help me if this crashes.

I don't think I ever saw that with the few iterations of it I have been trying since the update. The log would probably be useful. Is it clear that it's actually doing new things, or does it look like it's stuck on something? In the former, it should be at least somewhat clear that somewhere in the logs, messages became infrequent, and one could look at what happened before that to infer what happened. If it's hanging somewhere, the last few statements in the log probably has the scene of the crime.

I've been toying with OMPi because I wasn't really in the mood to start a public BFSR server, and I wanted to try some of the extended mods to see if I should augment my pack. So I've been limping through some of this too.

McFrugal posted:

The only time the smeltery has ever gotten "stuck" melting items for me is when TPS was below 20. The progress bar is clientside, but the progress is server-side. So if TPS is below 20, the progress bar desynchs. This is obviously more pronounced with items that take longer to melt, like blocks.

I can confirm this when we were playing at the work team building event. I had thought the smeltery was broken, but another team apparently got some ore through. In our case, the ore had reached 100% according to the client, but that information somehow wasn't getting across the network, so it would never turn into molten metal.

Vib Rib posted:

Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone.
[...]
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.
What's this "1 degree" stuff? Is there really smeltery temperature?

I really should start smelting cobblestone. I like making 7x7 smelteries, and it's a pain to get them started.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BJPaskoff posted:

I have this issue as well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah you should probably see if you can give more info because it runs and loads just fine for me and stealtharcher is looking for all the feedback he can get.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I wait for it too boot? I'm currently 18 minutes in, and 98 / 234 mods are loaded.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

There is a spawner under the haybale so if you have cardboard boxes you can box up that spawner and re-use it for mob drops and XP

Given the absence of Mekanism, use a diamond dolly for this.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Should I wait for it too boot? I'm currently 18 minutes in, and 98 / 234 mods are loaded.

Turts, just how terribad is your computer, honestly.

E: Seriously, nobody is having load times like this. Is this a 2004-era toaster or what?

E2: Are you allocating an actual amount of RAM? You need at least 2GB and should give it 3. Or are you stuck with an unbelievable amount, like the Xbox One the third Xbox?

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 20, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Given the absence of Mekanism, use a diamond dolly for this.

OMP-i also has ender IO which has it's own entire spawner mechanic. If you break a normal spawner, you get a broken one you can use in an ender IO device. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds neat.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StealthArcher posted:

Turts, just how terribad is your computer, honestly.

E: Seriously, nobody is having load times like this. Is this a 2004-era toaster or what?

E2: Are you allocating an actual amount of RAM? You need at least 2GB and should give it 3. Or are you stuck with an unbelievable amount, like the Xbox One the third Xbox?

Another person stated they had the same issue. Not two posts ago.

I have a Lenovo y410p

The Cpu is an I7-4700MQ
The video card is Nvidia 755m
I've got 8 gigs of ram.

The game is still loading right now, It's on 2 Loading Entity Renderer, and it's been about 40 minutes.

http://pastebin.com/5WgZnQJY

Here's a log, I'm going to quit out and see if something is wrong with my settings.

E: I have 4 gigs of Ram given on my system, and 8 gigs total, I'm using java U_45. Task manager says that the game is only using 2 gigs of ram to boot, but that's normal for me.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2015

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

The ftb reddit has similar posts of other modpacks with loading issues, apparently some version of forge has an issue where it gets stuck in a loop if you're viewing the window while it attempts to load. Try minimizing the window and see if it loads faster?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I was going to post this earlier, but I'm dumb. Can someone break down the whole temperature mechanic in Tinker's Construct for me?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chrisf posted:

The ftb reddit has similar posts of other modpacks with loading issues, apparently some version of forge has an issue where it gets stuck in a loop if you're viewing the window while it attempts to load. Try minimizing the window and see if it loads faster?

At first I thought this was typical computer snake oil, and then it loving worked.

drat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At this thread's suggestion, I decided to get OMP i. But there's no server download link on the page. Does that mean I should just conjure up my own?

vvv: I don't have the issue with minimized thing, but having to set up my own server is going to be a pain I bet.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, also launch it minimized it loads like 500x faster.

E: Is there an xinput mod for minecraft? Specifically modded minecraft?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Truga posted:

At this thread's suggestion, I decided to get OMP i. But there's no server download link on the page. Does that mean I should just conjure up my own?

vvv: I don't have the issue with minimized thing, but having to set up my own server is going to be a pain I bet.

I, too, would be interested in an OMP-i server download. Also, Stealth Archer, are you planning on making any more big changes to the pack? I see it's on version 2.0.0_3 now, any more tweaks or is it stable?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

If you do, please share with the rest of us.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

I, too, would be interested in an OMP-i server download. Also, Stealth Archer, are you planning on making any more big changes to the pack? I see it's on version 2.0.0_3 now, any more tweaks or is it stable?

2.0.0_3_1 is without DimDoors, 2.0.0_3 is with. This should be a mostly ongoing set of stuff. Any further updates should be config and script poo poo, for a while.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
OMP-I is still in the process of bug squashing, so there's no server download yet. We're killing dim doors now, cause it's a bad port. Wish StevenS would return to modding and give us a real version.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, cool, I kinda missed all that. I'll wait for a bit then. Can always host as lan on my own box.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How did it break?

Edit: No really. Since I'm updating all the mods and handling the todo, now is a good time to throw on issues.
I made the rocket but the quest book wouldn't recognise it even with manual detect and me putting it down and picking it back up. At that point I figured I'd all but gone to the moon and had a good catch-up on the automation side of things which is what I wanted, so I decided I was done.

Alkydere posted:

Are you playing single player, or are you playing on Stealth Archer's server?

Congratulations on identifying it correctly, it is indeed literal poo poo! You can thank MFR for adding sewage! It's used for making crop fertilizer, but really not needed (thanks to Agricraft, KoL took a tiny 7x7 autofarm I'd made last night and upgraded the crops so that it was producing 3-4 THOUSAND wheat an hour).
Just single-player.

That it is actually sewage makes me more suspect of the large lake of it that's clipped into the center of the village. Sort your poo poo out, guys.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Enzer posted:

There was a ton of internal changes to 1.8 including how rendering works and what rendering methods were valid to use. 1.8 uses a very strict rendering method which makes implementing some mods not possible, for example the carpenters block mod, according to its dev, is not possible without certain rendering options so he can't update to 1.8 (if this is actually true, I'm unsure, it might be possible but could be incredibly time consuming).
As for your question on 1.9, blockstates might get a better implementation for 1.9, but the devs have stated that they are going to try not to push any internal changes to the code and more or less just push an update that consists of new content and Searge has stated that it should be easier for modders to adopt from 1.8 to 1.9 than going from say 1.4 to 1.5, 1.5 to 1.6, etc, etc.

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response. So while it's not impossible to convert most things over to the 1.8 format, it requires learning a totally different method, and a complete recode of basic stuff, combined with people not wanting to commit to the new method if it was likely to change soon. I sort of also wonder if a lot of people decided to wait for the promised modding API (ha ha).

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I trust microsoft to make minecraft epic. The rumored additions in 1.9 all but state notch was holding everyone back

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response. So while it's not impossible to convert most things over to the 1.8 format, it requires learning a totally different method, and a complete recode of basic stuff, combined with people not wanting to commit to the new method if it was likely to change soon. I sort of also wonder if a lot of people decided to wait for the promised modding API (ha ha).

Pretty much, there was a bunch of hooting from a few devs that the new blockstate.json stuff was going to result in gigs work of files for things like tubes or complex blocks, Lex of Forge basically said that they are all idiots if they think that. The dev behind Thaumcraft was pretty firmly in the anti-1.8 group, but has started work on his 1.8 version and Thaumcraft pulls a lot of different graphical poo poo so if that mod can update to 1.8 intact, a good deal of the rest of them can and its more a matter, for the majority of mods, of time and effort. I don't expect every mod to update because some people just don't want to gently caress with it, but we are already starting to see brand new mods that are filling in feature gaps from the more massive mods that are missing. For example DrCyano has a mod called Power Advantage that has a very simplified item conveyers () which can pull items from inventories and push filtered items into other inventories, fluid machines () which can drain water from an above source, transport and either insert it into storage or an accepting machine or eject the water out into the world, and a steam powered base machine setup that involves producing steam to power what is essentially a macerator and a 3 slot fast processing furnace. . Power Advantage shows that what a lot of people were worried about in regards to ,json issues are perfectly doable.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 20, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Enzer posted:

Pretty much, there was a bunch of hooting from a few devs that the new blockstate.json stuff was going to result in gigs work of files for things like tubes or complex blocks, Lex of Forge basically said that they are all idiots if they think that. The dev behind Thaumcraft was pretty firmly in the anti-1.8 group, but has started work on his 1.8 version and Thaumcraft pulls a lot of different graphical poo poo so if that mod can update to 1.8 intact, a good deal of the rest of them can and its more a matter, for the majority of mods, of time and effort. I don't expect every mod to update because some people just don't want to gently caress with it, but we are already starting to see brand new mods that are filling in feature gaps from the more massive mods that are missing. For example DrCyano has a mod called Power Advantage that has a very simplified item conveyers () which can pull items from inventories and push filtered items into other inventories, fluid machines () which can drain water from an above source, transport and either insert it into storage or an accepting machine or eject the water out into the world, and a steam powered base machine setup that involves producing steam to power what is essentially a macerator and a 3 slot fast processing furnace. . Power Advantage shows that what a lot of people were worried about in regards to ,json issues are perfectly doable.

Ok, so, maybe I'm just stupid about this stuff but..wouldn't skipping 1.8 present the exact same issue as converting to 1.8? I'm not aware of any system changes they made in 1.8 that are going away in 1.9, so they would still have to convert everything anyway.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magmarashi posted:

Ok, so, maybe I'm just stupid about this stuff but..wouldn't skipping 1.8 present the exact same issue as converting to 1.8? I'm not aware of any system changes they made in 1.8 that are going away in 1.9, so they would still have to convert everything anyway.

By looking at what's needed to upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 they'll be able to better decide whether its worth it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Edit:
What Turtlicious said.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ghostlight posted:

I made the rocket but the quest book wouldn't recognise it even with manual detect and me putting it down and picking it back up. At that point I figured I'd all but gone to the moon and had a good catch-up on the automation side of things which is what I wanted, so I decided I was done.
Did you build it with a built-in chest or anything? I never had problems with a base tier-1 rocket, but I suspect one with the extra chest in it could have different data attached. I can check my detection rules and make it looser because of that, but I would love to be able to exactly reproduce it tonight and see that it's something I can fix.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Basically it boils down to it's a LOT of effort to update a 1.7 mod to 1.8, so people are holding off until it's actually worth doing (as in, enough other mods have updated). 1.8 -> 1.9 is not nearly as big of a jump, but since it's supposedly out soon that's just another reason to wait.

Otherwise 1.8 has a lot of very good things for mods.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did you build it with a built-in chest or anything? I never had problems with a base tier-1 rocket, but I suspect one with the extra chest in it could have different data attached. I can check my detection rules and make it looser because of that, but I would love to be able to exactly reproduce it tonight and see that it's something I can fix.
No, it was specifically a tier-1 base rocket with nothing extra. It stuck with me because it took me several tries before I realised I needed to make fins for it (I just did not notice them on the NEI) and the only unusual thing I can think of is that I shift-clicked the materials into the workstation rather than dropped them onto it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MechaCrash posted:

If you use a stirling generator from Ender IO and upgrade it with an octadic capacitor, then you can turn a stack of coal blocks into about 55 million RF if you burn it. If you take this same stack of coal blocks and turn it into syngas, however, then you get about 22.6 million RF. It's true that octadic capacitors are a pain in the rear end to make, but Advanced Generators still take up a shitload of iron and are pretty bulky.

For ethanol-based power production, MFR bio-fuel reactors are better if you can get the blaze rods. Just make a line about eight blocks long consisting of a fluid conduit and a power conduit, then attach a biofuel generator to each side of it, and that'll crank out a bit over 5k RF. But presumably if you're running laser drills, you'll just build a drat Big Reactor, it's easier than some giant string of tiny bullshit generators.

You can get 63 million RF from burning that as liquifacted coal in an Advanced Generator.

Each coal is 100 milibuckets, which is 111,100 RF, each coal block is 9, and a stack of coal blocks is 64, so that's 576 coal, at 111,100 RF which is 63,993,600, minus the energy of melting the coal.

Melting the coal dust is 4,608,000.

Crushing it is 1,382,400.

So you net 58,003,200 RF if you process the same coal with Thermal Expansion and don't upgrade any machines or use more efficient mods.

Meanwhile with biofuel you're running 16 generators that can peak at 2560 Rf a trick, instead of one multiblock which is easier on the server that can do 5000 RF/Tick and has a built in 50 million RF reservoir.

Then, you can also build a heat exchange to produce steam, which you can then use to run a steam turbine of Advanced Generators or Big Reactors type, so number wise Advanced Generators are on par with any other power source, and provide a nice bridge to building your giant reactor that needs 10 turbines to run at 100%.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You can get 63 million RF from burning that as liquifacted coal in an Advanced Generator.

Each coal is 100 milibuckets, which is 111,100 RF, each coal block is 9, and a stack of coal blocks is 64, so that's 576 coal, at 111,100 RF which is 63,993,600, minus the energy of melting the coal.

Melting the coal dust is 4,608,000.

Crushing it is 1,382,400.

So you net 58,003,200 RF if you process the same coal with Thermal Expansion and don't upgrade any machines or use more efficient mods.

Meanwhile with biofuel you're running 16 generators that can peak at 2560 Rf a trick, instead of one multiblock which is easier on the server that can do 5000 RF/Tick and has a built in 50 million RF reservoir.

Then, you can also build a heat exchange to produce steam, which you can then use to run a steam turbine of Advanced Generators or Big Reactors type, so number wise Advanced Generators are on par with any other power source, and provide a nice bridge to building your giant reactor that needs 10 turbines to run at 100%.

This is really good! Can you do a writeup of Advanced Generator steam turbines vs Big Reactors turbines?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, do a Big Reactor Turbine if you can. Advanced generator turbines are not nearly as efficent, but they only take iron really. Early on before you have a lot of cyanite to build a full sized Big Reactor turbine it'd work, but you'd be better off using passive reactors or something else. The steam generation of Advanced Generators is pretty good though, I'm trying one out now to run Big Reactor Turbines on.

edit: It's also worth noting on the previous point that syngas is more for producing with wood and byproducts than it is actual coal. A log produces the same amount of carbon as coal does, after all. You might as well feed it that, or sugar charcoal, or other easily grown things. I haven't done the numbers, but woodpulp could stretch it further, not sure what the best way of generating that is.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 21, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

chrisf posted:

This is witchcraft. (It worked.)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Enzer posted:

Well Pixelmonmod has upgraded to 1.8 and apart from some complaints from the model makers about the new format it has all been possible.
the one we are not looking forward to is the 1.9 upgrade as it will require knowledge of the new rendering system they are putting in (to improve rendering and make it less laggy)

Ho Hum, Back to Battle code....

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
So along with Blightfall, I've been playing on an FTB Infinity server with some friends and the only mod I know my way around somewhat well by now would be Tinker's Construct...I've pretty much fallen in love with the armor set.

That said, I cracked open this black sphere thing made out of skystone and got some parts for 'Applied Energistics 2' which has made me curious about it, what's it about and how easy is it to get into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and Botania seem to be the best magic mods. They're basically esoteric tech mods hidden behind "maaaagic!", though Thaumcraft has an annoying research aspect to it.
At this point I just give myself a cheat sheet Thaumonomicon every time. I don't care at all about scanning the right objects in the right order to unlock every compound aspect, I don't care about keeping enough research points to slowly unlock each item, I don't care about doing that goddamn linking puzzle another 50+ times again. I don't care about any of it. Thaumcraft 4 has so many goddamn currencies, including Vis, Essentia, and Research points.
It's not like the poo poo in Thaumcraft is FREE once you research it. You still have to actually create it with vis and resources and essentia and poo poo. Thermal Expansion doesn't make you collect Ore Points to research machine frames before you can craft them. Blood Magic makes you pay for stuff with blood but you don't need to travel the world taking blood samples from various blocks to learn about them first.
It's just so tedious now. I view it like I do Mystcraft's page collection: Kinda fun the first time, but not something I want to do every loving time I start a new world or modpack.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was going to post this earlier, but I'm dumb. Can someone break down the whole temperature mechanic in Tinker's Construct for me?
When you look at Tinker's Construct smelting recipes in NEI, there will be a number at the center of the UI which shows the temperature needed to smelt the item. When you leave something in a smeltery that is fueled with lava, that item's temperature rises over time as it heats up, which is what bar is next to each item. All that really means is items with higher temperature requirements take longer to smelt. So really, an item's listed temperature is basically its abstract smelting time.

However, I believe the smelter can't heat any item up to over 800C, so anything that's listed at "801C" (like stone tool heads) will never smelt down. They'll stay at 99% forever and just waste lava as the smeltery tries to stay hot.