Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That box is a receiver that will let you pass thru HDMI to component. Just a regular old receiver. Not uncommon, you just need to make sure whatever you buy does it. If you want surround sound you're going to need one anyways. So there's no surround sound wired, just a big tv in a wall?

And there are no caps in that tv that will kill you. They'll kill the college kids you hire.

There is surround wired. I don't know if I'll use it, because this is just going to be in the bar/guest area and my main set up is on the main level. I was going to remove the tv and put a matching TV stand in it's place that would hold a decent sized flat panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

There is surround wired. I don't know if I'll use it, because this is just going to be in the bar/guest area and my main set up is on the main level. I was going to remove the tv and put a matching TV stand in it's place that would hold a decent sized flat panel.

Hook up like a tape deck or vhs deck with a loop of a heartbeat, leave the volume up and TV on then rock up the whole thing.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That box is a receiver that will let you pass thru HDMI to component. Just a regular old receiver. Not uncommon, you just need to make sure whatever you buy does it. If you want surround sound you're going to need one anyways. So there's no surround sound wired, just a big tv in a wall?

And there are no caps in that tv that will kill you. They'll kill the college kids you hire.

Receivers don't convert HDMI to component.

Edit - You would need something like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRS...mi+to+component

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 19, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Legdiian posted:

Receivers don't convert HDMI to component.

Edit - You would need something like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRS...mi+to+component

Luckily, a lot cheaper than a receiver!

Which he'll still need to get, to use the wired speakers. Oh well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I need pics of this.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Piles of money

Not actually mine. I wish. For work

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Looks crestron controlled is that someone's house ?

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Photex posted:

Looks crestron controlled is that someone's house ?

Yup. Crestron is the reason I'm there.

DM 32x32 filled out like that costs more than most cars.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

poppingseagull posted:

Yup. Crestron is the reason I'm there.

DM 32x32 filled out like that costs more than most cars.

yeah, I mostly work with Crestron installs where I am at right now, we have 6 rooms that have 32x32 and about 5 more with 16x16

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think I speak for everybody when I say "gently caress people THAT rich."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I once installed a surround setup for someone which involved 5 of these:

And two of these:

Needless to say, setting up the audio in that cinema room took me quite a while... :mmmsmug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's just insane overkill. The rear/surround speakers don't receive any bass to speak of, at least not in any recommendation I know of, eg. Dolby, THX etc.

I would have just stuck Beolab 3s as the rear and surround speakers, the experience would have been no different.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What is all that equipment even driving? Holy gently caress.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KozmoNaut posted:

That's just insane overkill. The rear/surround speakers don't receive any bass to speak of, at least not in any recommendation I know of, eg. Dolby, THX etc.

I would have just stuck Beolab 3s as the rear and surround speakers, the experience would have been no different.

Part of the experience is walking in the room and going 'holy poo poo' and you would lose just a bit of that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What is all that equipment even driving? Holy gently caress.

i'm going to assume that because it's a 32x32 that rack is controlling more than just that room, I see lighting controllers, multiple amps and the 32x32 is probably spitting into the bedrooms or other spaces.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

taqueso posted:

Part of the experience is walking in the room and going 'holy poo poo' and you would lose just a bit of that.

Well yeah, ~$45K worth of speakers and 12.5 kilowatts of amplification will kinda do that to you.

(I'm not counting the Beolab 3s, that's another ~$4K and 500 watts, but who's counting at that point?)

The movie-watching experience I had at a friend's apartment with just two Beolab 5s was crazy enough, I can't even imagine adding 3 more. The beginning of Master and Commander: Far Side of the World was absolutely ridiculous.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 22, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Dude had just sold his company for £20million and wasn't about saving cash at that point. We talked him down from a complete surround setup of Lab 5s but he insisted on the other 5 for reasons only known to him. From what I remember he lived in the place 6 months then retired to the South of France. I sadly never got to go check out his new joint...

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Piles of money

Not actually mine. I wish. For work

Let's see a rear shot of the wiring!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spent the night rearranging my office setup. I really need a bigger desk....

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

KillHour posted:

Spent the night rearranging my office setup. I really need a bigger desk....

What is this equipment?

Gorgeous setup btw. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Hand posted:

What is this equipment?

Gorgeous setup btw. :)

Thanks!

Signal chain goes right to left:

Fiio E17/E09K AMP/DAC stack - this pulls double duty driving my Sennheiser HD598 cans and also acts as a DAC and master volume control for the stereo setup.

Behringer Ultragraph Pro 15 band graphic EQ - good for making quick EQ adjustments. Also has plenty of blinkenlights for :pcgaming: and/or :rice: factor.

Behringer Super-X Pro stereo 2-way crossover - does what it says on the tin. Keeps my speakers from suiciding when I get drunk and turn on "This Is Spinal Tap" mode (+8dB gain switch on the back of my E09K).

Onkyo TX-8020 stereo amplifier - powers the speakers (duh).

Aperion Audio Intimus 4T speakers - I actually like these better for music than the 5T's I have in my living room. They punch well above their size and price class.

Polk PSW10 subwoofer - plenty of bass for annoying my neighbors and/or dog. I have a PSW505 in my living room, but again, I prefer the smaller system for music.

Also seen: Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer, cheap CAD USB microphone.

If you're wondering why I skipped a box, it's because that's just a rackmount PoE midspan I had lying around. It does a pretty good job keeping my monitors at the same level.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 29, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Thousands of dollars worth of AV equipment and no mouse pad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Thousands of dollars worth of AV equipment and no mouse pad.

I hate mouse pads.

Also, I was going to correct you on your "thousands" comment, but then I realized you're right. :shepspends:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 31, 2015

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Currently in the process of designing our home, which we should start building in a few months. One of things I want to do is in ceiling speakers in most of the rooms. Was planning on doing Denon Heos Amp's (basically Sonos, but different, and their amps are better), for a bunch of the zones, had already purchased 3 of them (when I see good deals on eBay, etc).

Turns out Denon is releasing a rack mount 4 zone 8 channel amp. 70w per channel, can bridge channels (which would be great for us since we may have a zone or two that's pretty huge). All kinds of inputs that you can matrix over. So now the kicker, only sold through certified installers. Do you think there is any chance I will be able to purchase two of these somehow?

More info here: http://www.cepro.com/article/denon_debuts_rack-mounted_heos_drive_amp/
Kind of pricey at $2500 each, but great otherwise.

Also, planning on doing a dedicated home theater room, fixed screen, maybe rack mount the components in the entry way (as the entry way will have a jog in it to get in), maybe could do a full rack and add the Heos/Network/etc and make lots of blinky lights!

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Let's see a rear shot of the wiring!

Maybe next time. It's about what you'd expect. Very neat for the most part but a few cables run haphazardly.

And the rack there controls a whole house. So that is why there are so many DirecTV boxes (there are even more not shown). At least 20 dtv boxes.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Maybe next time. It's about what you'd expect. Very neat for the most part but a few cables run haphazardly.

And the rack there controls a whole house. So that is why there are so many DirecTV boxes (there are even more not shown). At least 20 dtv boxes.

What's the justification for 20 DTV boxes with a video distribution system?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

What if 20 people want to watch different shows at the same time?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

What if 20 people want to watch different shows at the same time?

That's why I'm asking. If more than 6 people live in that house I'd be surprised though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

That's why I'm asking. If more than 6 people live in that house I'd be surprised though.

I was being sarcastic. The real reason is "gently caress it. We're rich!"

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Legdiian posted:

I didn't design it. But it makes my life easier when every TV has a dedicated box. There's a jacuzzi room with 3 TVs so that alone gets three boxes.

Also if there are guests they could use maybe half at the same time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

I didn't design it. But it makes my life easier when every TV has a dedicated box. There's a jacuzzi room with 3 TVs so that alone gets three boxes.

Also if there are guests they could use maybe half at the same time.

But isn't that the point of a home distribution system? They could save a lot of money by just putting the boxes behind every TV and buying an XBox for every room or something.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Saving money isn't on the list for someone with anything close to that level of equipment.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

But isn't that the point of a home distribution system? They could save a lot of money by just putting the boxes behind every TV and buying an XBox for every room or something.

no the point of a home distribution system is have everything in an isolated area the TVs are all probably being fed by Cat 6

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Photex posted:

no the point of a home distribution system is have everything in an isolated area the TVs are all probably being fed by Cat 6

The point of the 32x32 video switch is to not have a separate DirecTV box for each TV. It's a glorified HDMI Balun in this system.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Legdiian posted:

The point of the 32x32 video switch is to not have a separate DirecTV box for each TV. It's a glorified HDMI Balun in this system.

Maybe for the DTV boxes but there is plenty of other video equipment that can route to any TV including Blu-ray changers, security cameras, kscape (although there are a lot of those too), cable boxes of which there are only a few, appletv, etc. Plus DM has some other nice features in use such as carrying IR/RS-232 for controlling the TVs or local devices.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

Maybe for the DTV boxes but there is plenty of other video equipment that can route to any TV including Blu-ray changers, security cameras, kscape (although there are a lot of those too), cable boxes of which there are only a few, appletv, etc. Plus DM has some other nice features in use such as carrying IR/RS-232 for controlling the TVs or local devices.

Please tell me this house isn't using a lovely analog security system.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

Please tell me this house isn't using a lovely analog security system.

No digital, and they can at the press of the button show any camera or a matrix on any TV. They also stream via h.264 to iPads, touchscreens, etc.

I'm actually really proud of the final result here. The design is definitely overkill, but the system is super slick as a finished product. The interfaces especially are very cool in action. The programming is my baby, not the design or hardware - although I have to know all that, too, since it ends up in my lap when things go wrong.

Just an example of how cool home automation can be - in the spa there is one button called "relax mode" on a handheld waterproof remote that floats. Press the button and the shades close, the jacuzzis turn on, the glass door frosts to opaque, the lights dim down, the door locks, audio starts playing jazz music, all three TVs turn on to preset channels. It's fun to sit in the room and test it with people.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 12, 2015

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

In the spa there is one button called "relax mode" on a handheld waterproof remote that floats.
Don't leave the UFO in the spa.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doors locking sounds perfectly relaxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poppingseagull posted:

No digital, and they can at the press of the button show any camera or a matrix on any TV. They also stream via h.264 to iPads, touchscreens, etc.

I'm actually really proud of the final result here. The design is definitely overkill, but the system is super slick as a finished product. The interfaces especially are very cool in action. The programming is my baby, not the design or hardware - although I have to know all that, too, since it ends up in my lap when things go wrong.

Just an example of how cool home automation can be - in the spa there is one button called "relax mode" on a handheld waterproof remote that floats. Press the button and the shades close, the jacuzzis turn on, the glass door frosts to opaque, the lights dim down, the door locks, audio starts playing jazz music, all three TVs turn on to preset channels. It's fun to sit in the room and test it with people.

"Rape mode"