Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

opus is gonna flip his poo poo when he comes back. people are having fun talking in darmok speak! thats almost as bad as having fun making fun of obrien!!!

E: opus111, his fears realized

just catching up, I'm enjoying them so far, looking forward to watching them get less funny and beaten into the ground though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

None of it makes any sense at all, which is why it is fiction

Fetus Tree posted:

you're in the wrong thread if you dont want to talk about poo poo like this

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fetus Tree posted:

yeah itd be real cool to have episodes based on the idea of not being able to communicate, that way troi could have actually used her powers

lmfao

Troi was basically the Aquaman of the crew.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i like the one where famke jannsen spends the whole episode trying to gently caress picard

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I hate so much that this is my longest thread to date. gently caress off nerds.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I hate so much that this is my longest thread to date. gently caress off nerds.

You could post a thread with just the words "start track" as the title and an empty OP and it would go to 20 pages.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Naxuz posted:

Aatrek's children, their faces wet

That one is context-sensitive.

Here's another multi-use one:

PC Gamer, beholding a console.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Entropic posted:

Troi was basically the Aquaman of the crew.

I'm positive you're thinking of the episode I'm thinking of right now, where she literally turned into an aqua person

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

doctorfrog posted:

I'm positive you're thinking of the episode I'm thinking of right now, where she literally turned into an aqua person

genesis iirc

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJ6FY4A9wE

stargate rules lol

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

true dat

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

doctorfrog posted:

Actually I was thinking of the one episode where her mom did something useful by reading the mind of a fish-person who's secretly a terrorist.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Naxuz posted:

Political theory post-grad checking in. Star Trek in no way addresses the myriad consequences to cultural, political and social orders that a post-scarcity economy and FTL travel within a diverse galactic society would bring and handwaves it all away with "Federation is like the UN but actually effective". What a stupid show for plebs :smuggo:

it's star trek for god's sake get over yourselves

This is a serious complaint, though.

Star trek is really not about the future at all, it's about the present. TOS is about late 1960s american society, TNG is about late 80s, early 90s american society. The writers of TOS couldn't actually imagine women's roles being any different hundreds of year in the future, so the women could only be assistants, nurses, and telephone operators. The writers of TNG came up with the idea of a post-scarcity society where there was no money, but couldn't actually imagine such a thing, so people still play poker (not much fun if there is no money) and work jobs where they stand all day in the brig guarding a prisoner (who would do this if they weren't being paid?), and so on. They invented the idea of replicators being able to make anything out of energy, and then couldn't imagine the consequences, so you have everyone mining all over the place pointlessly, and freighters pointlessly transporting goods around which could have been created on the spot where needed.

The question is, was this done accidentally or on purpose? Did the writers and creators of these shows realize that they weren't really about the future at all?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

speculative scifi not about the future but about the present day instead!?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
id stand watch over a brig for 8 hours to hang out on the enterprise doing whatever for the rest of the day

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Naxuz posted:

Political theory post-grad checking in. Star Trek in no way addresses the myriad consequences to cultural, political and social orders that a post-scarcity economy and FTL travel within a diverse galactic society would bring and handwaves it all away with "Federation is like the UN but actually effective". What a stupid show for plebs :smuggo:

it's star trek for god's sake get over yourselves

Hey man, I made an offhand post and someone sounded interested in my hot take.

Honestly, I still watch those episodes and I would say that I bitch about Guinan more than I do Darmok or Lal.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

id stand watch over a brig for 8 hours to hang out on the enterprise doing whatever for the rest of the day

Why?

You spend 8 hours in the brig staring at some prisoner in the holding cell, and then you get off, and now you have free time. There's no entertainment on the ship, other than the holodecks. There are 3 holodecks, and 1000 crew members. This means you will get approximately 1 hour of holodeck time every two weeks. Except, you won't really get that much, since the senior staff monopolize the hell out of them and use them whenever they want. So maybe an hour a month.

The ship flies around, with the senior staff doing interesting things, but you won't be a part of any of it. You can sit in the bar and drink fake alcohol and maybe Guinan will talk to you, then go back to your quarters and replicate yourself a trombone or something. Then wake up and do it all again. Or you could live on earth, and do whatever you want whenever you want.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i'd play pranks on worf all the time are you kidding me it sounds amazing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why?

You spend 8 hours in the brig staring at some prisoner in the holding cell, and then you get off, and now you have free time. There's no entertainment on the ship, other than the holodecks. There are 3 holodecks, and 1000 crew members. This means you will get approximately 1 hour of holodeck time every two weeks. Except, you won't really get that much, since the senior staff monopolize the hell out of them and use them whenever they want. So maybe an hour a month.

The ship flies around, with the senior staff doing interesting things, but you won't be a part of any of it. You can sit in the bar and drink fake alcohol and maybe Guinan will talk to you, then go back to your quarters and replicate yourself a trombone or something. Then wake up and do it all again. Or you could live on earth, and do whatever you want whenever you want.

The real answer to this is, of course, the Culture approach: your ship is more like a cruise liner with lots of fun and entertainment for the crew, some of whom occasionally do something useful (the senior staff) but mainly are just along for the ride. All the tedious guarding-of-prisoners is done by machines with variable levels of autonomy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like we are supposed to assume there's parts of the ship we never see. Like an arboretum and a zoo and a gym and I heard there's a crew member down on the 39th deck who will blow you for some synthol.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i wonder if you can rig the transporter system to give you a hand job

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

oldpainless posted:

I feel like we are supposed to assume there's parts of the ship we never see. Like an arboretum and a zoo and a gym and I heard there's a crew member down on the 39th deck who will blow you for some synthol.

In Diane Duane's TOS novels, there's a huge recreation deck with a ton of awesome video games, including a 3D starship combat simulator (that Sulu obviously owns everybody at), and a department head reporting to the captain whose one job is to make sure the crew are happy and entertained.

(I think we actually see it as the big lounge-looking area in The Motion Picture).

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jesus for a computational linguist you sure don't know how language computers work

memory alpha posted:

In 2267, Captain Kirk and Commander Spock of the USS Enterprise modified one to communicate with the alien known as the Companion in the Gamma Canaris region. Responding to Zefram Cochrane's question about the theory of operation, Kirk explained that there are certain universal ideas and concepts common to all intelligent life, and that the translator compared the frequencies of brainwave patterns, selected those ideas it recognized, and provided the necessary grammar. Kirk further explained that the device spoke with a voice, or the approximation of one, that corresponded to the identity concepts it recognized. The Companion was revealed to be female because the universal translator detected this facet of its identity from its brainwave patterns, and assigned it a female voice. (TOS: "Metamorphosis")

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
went on to Netflix to watch some DS9 again and lol'd when I noticed my progress from the last time I watched series 2

what a loving terrible episode it is

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dadrips posted:

went on to Netflix to watch some DS9 again and lol'd when I noticed my progress from the last time I watched series 2

thats legit p funny

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fetus Tree posted:

Same. Hell, I'd do four tens a week in that little kiosk the one mathematician dude had on Voyager, as long as it's on the D and nowhere near Voyager. You know they had whale tanks on the D? I'd be there a couple times a week just to chill and read a book.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Same. Hell, I'd do four tens a week in that little kiosk the one mathematician dude had on Voyager, as long as it's on the D and nowhere near Voyager. You know they had whale tanks on the D? I'd be there a couple times a week just to chill and read a book.

Means the whales probably died in Generations and now a probe is coming to kill the non-reboot universe again. GJ Troi.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
man. SGA really loving sucked for what they did to carson beckett

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Orange Sunshine posted:

This is a serious complaint, though.

Star trek is really not about the future at all, it's about the present. TOS is about late 1960s american society, TNG is about late 80s, early 90s american society. The writers of TOS couldn't actually imagine women's roles being any different hundreds of year in the future, so the women could only be assistants, nurses, and telephone operators. The writers of TNG came up with the idea of a post-scarcity society where there was no money, but couldn't actually imagine such a thing, so people still play poker (not much fun if there is no money) and work jobs where they stand all day in the brig guarding a prisoner (who would do this if they weren't being paid?), and so on. They invented the idea of replicators being able to make anything out of energy, and then couldn't imagine the consequences, so you have everyone mining all over the place pointlessly, and freighters pointlessly transporting goods around which could have been created on the spot where needed.

The question is, was this done accidentally or on purpose? Did the writers and creators of these shows realize that they weren't really about the future at all?

if you want that stuff you read books (not star trek books) where somebody with a singular vision and total control can play with all of that. TV shows are written by a group of people to please the maximum number of people possible in a given market segment as an advertising vehicle for other companies to use. This is why TV shows are not art and shouldn't be thought of with any more depth than 'am I enjoying this'? The writers, whatever their intent, were essentially paid to not care about any of that stuff you just said.

Just read books bro.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

in addition, nobody ever watched trek for the sci-fi - its the cast (and in ToS Spock, Kirk and Bones especially) that people were interested in. It's a show about buddies.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

It's a show about buddies. frenemies

fixed for ds9

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

opus111 posted:

if you want that stuff you read books (not star trek books) where somebody with a singular vision and total control can play with all of that. TV shows are written by a group of people to please the maximum number of people possible in a given market segment as an advertising vehicle for other companies to use. This is why TV shows are not art and shouldn't be thought of with any more depth than 'am I enjoying this'? The writers, whatever their intent, were essentially paid to not care about any of that stuff you just said.

Just read books bro.

art is the spirit of the time that born it, a collaboration between the past and the future, created from adversity

unless you're somehow posting from the victorian era, a book is a shallow, computer generated cynical self-indulgent masturbation session written entirely to please a tiny and ever-shrinking audience of isolates, criminals and pseudo-intellectuals with absolutely no modern cultural value beyond a store of carbon

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

dadrips posted:

lol. i am watching ds9 for the 1st time and that is the very episode i am up to. guess i should expect some boredom

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
maybe it has a good B plot. i forget.

also, out of nowhere Joe Flanigan liked one of my instagram posts? idk how he even found my instagram but thats fuckin awesome

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fetus Tree posted:

man. SGA really loving sucked for what they did to carson beckett

yeah what the gently caress. at least they figured out they were stupid and were bringing him back for season 6 oh wait lol cancelled

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Darmok is a cool ep and picard has that cool jacket in it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Darmok is a cool ep

still makes more linguistic sense than Hoshi Sato learning to speak Klingon in 3 days

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Eyes on the dog girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
and people say enterprise sucked

• Locked thread