Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Krakatoah posted:

So along with Blightfall, I've been playing on an FTB Infinity server with some friends and the only mod I know my way around somewhat well by now would be Tinker's Construct...I've pretty much fallen in love with the armor set.

That said, I cracked open this black sphere thing made out of skystone and got some parts for 'Applied Energistics 2' which has made me curious about it, what's it about and how easy is it to get into?

In most packs, Applied Energistics is a bit fiddly but no more than any tech mod. In Blightfall it's pretty heavily gated because it requires constant power, so you'll need to get a reactor up and running before you can mess with it since Blightfall locks all power generation except reactors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

Well Pixelmonmod has upgraded to 1.8 and apart from some complaints from the model makers about the new format it has all been possible.
the one we are not looking forward to is the 1.9 upgrade as it will require knowledge of the new rendering system they are putting in (to improve rendering and make it less laggy)

Ho Hum, Back to Battle code....

I thought the rendering update for 1.9 got dropped since Ryan got fired from Mojang and is off working on Candy Crush instead and Ryan was specifically hired to work on rendering stuff.. Searge has been going on recently about how they are trying to include as few internal changes.

My guess for the reason they announced a combat update and switched away from massive internal rewrites was because of Ryan no longer working there, they have to either move the work onto someone else currently on the team (I doubt this) or hire another team member or contractor (Ryan started as a contractor for Mojang) whose focused on rendering.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Krakatoah posted:

So along with Blightfall, I've been playing on an FTB Infinity server with some friends and the only mod I know my way around somewhat well by now would be Tinker's Construct...I've pretty much fallen in love with the armor set.

That said, I cracked open this black sphere thing made out of skystone and got some parts for 'Applied Energistics 2' which has made me curious about it, what's it about and how easy is it to get into?

Well that is the bone of contention, AE2 introduced meteors which is what you found, and you need to find 4 presses (logic, calculation, engineer and silicon) these are what are needed to make Processors. however once you have them you can make storage, it ends up being like Star Trek Replicators, you put stuff in and can pull it out whenever you want.

I always make a crafting terminal as you just shift click the ? on the NEI recipe and it will auto fill the slots from the ME system (Matter-Energy) instantly building whatever you wanted..

Imagine large chest that autosorts the items.

Its worth it but the meteor thing is the pain at the start

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
How useful/interesting is Railcraft?

I just started playing Resonant Rise: Project Flux, and I'm trying out the Ancient Warfare Modpack. When researching I had to make Booster Rails, and apparently Railcraft changes all the recipes from Vanilla Minecraft, so now I need to set up a bunch of stuff just to create them.

Would it just be a better use of my time to take Railcraft out of my mods, or does it have a useful functionality that makes it worthwhile?

Other than this snag, I've been loving RR ever since playing through Baby's First Space Race. Finally worked up to a DigiMiner and now I can focus on some other fun things.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

It's plenty interesting and useful, but the absolute bullshit it takes to craft rails pretty much negates a lot of it.

Last time I used Railcraft, I only used it for the big multiblock tanks, and there are other mods that do those now.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I like various progression packs because they either force me to use stuff I haven't or give me a reason to learn junk. But I'm having some confusion which stems mostly from useless/unfinished wikis and videos made by people who all sound like they have FAS and don't show anything helpful in their tutorial videos. This is for the regrowth pack.

How the hell do you use the mariculture hatchery? I made a couple and none of them have the interface all these videos have and the book implies they are the same as the incubator things (I think). They accept my test eggs while in land or in water and burn up eggs but nothing happens. I don't mind tedious cross-breeding (I enjoy it sometimes!) but the dumb thing doesnt seem to even work. Lot of effort making tanks everywhere that are acceptable in this weird wasteland biome.

How exactly do you keep the air pump going? Beyond one instance where I flew around in creative just to see if whacking it by hand would capture natural gas, I haven't gotten the thing to actually seem to hold air to pump to me when I'm down in the water trying to harvest junk. I plopped some engines down in creative to see if they would do something but they don't seem. Are you really supposed to hold r-click on it until it gets somewhere and just let it unwind itself?

It was dumb enough that I had to figure out on my own that these nether bees need netherwart, but you have to craft the weird 3x3 bag thing to get any that aren't on crops because THOSE don't work for bees. For some reason.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Synnr posted:

So I like various progression packs because they either force me to use stuff I haven't or give me a reason to learn junk. But I'm having some confusion which stems mostly from useless/unfinished wikis and videos made by people who all sound like they have FAS and don't show anything helpful in their tutorial videos. This is for the regrowth pack.

How the hell do you use the mariculture hatchery? I made a couple and none of them have the interface all these videos have and the book implies they are the same as the incubator things (I think). They accept my test eggs while in land or in water and burn up eggs but nothing happens. I don't mind tedious cross-breeding (I enjoy it sometimes!) but the dumb thing doesnt seem to even work. Lot of effort making tanks everywhere that are acceptable in this weird wasteland biome.

How exactly do you keep the air pump going? Beyond one instance where I flew around in creative just to see if whacking it by hand would capture natural gas, I haven't gotten the thing to actually seem to hold air to pump to me when I'm down in the water trying to harvest junk. I plopped some engines down in creative to see if they would do something but they don't seem. Are you really supposed to hold r-click on it until it gets somewhere and just let it unwind itself?

It was dumb enough that I had to figure out on my own that these nether bees need netherwart, but you have to craft the weird 3x3 bag thing to get any that aren't on crops because THOSE don't work for bees. For some reason.

Air pumps have to be on a flat surface. No blocks next to them except empty blocks or levers or a tank. Depending on the version of mariculture you may need to give it a redstone signal before pumping gas. For air supply it just sucks to hand-crank it. Powering it should work in theory but like you I couldn't get engines to work. Maybe with conductive pipes? Anyway just bypass the issue altogether by making a ring of chordata and use that with your diving helmet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

At this point I just give myself a cheat sheet Thaumonomicon every time. I don't care at all about scanning the right objects in the right order to unlock every compound aspect, I don't care about keeping enough research points to slowly unlock each item, I don't care about doing that goddamn linking puzzle another 50+ times again. I don't care about any of it. Thaumcraft 4 has so many goddamn currencies, including Vis, Essentia, and Research points.
It's not like the poo poo in Thaumcraft is FREE once you research it. You still have to actually create it with vis and resources and essentia and poo poo. Thermal Expansion doesn't make you collect Ore Points to research machine frames before you can craft them. Blood Magic makes you pay for stuff with blood but you don't need to travel the world taking blood samples from various blocks to learn about them first.
It's just so tedious now. I view it like I do Mystcraft's page collection: Kinda fun the first time, but not something I want to do every loving time I start a new world or modpack.

That's pretty much my view on it too. I wouldn't mind if, say, the book came with everything BUT the "forbidden knowledge" researched so that you could still do everything and then chose to research1-2 things that may hurt or annoy you. Or just remove the stupid warp bullshit anyways and give me everything, that would be great. I keep wanting to start out with Thaumcraft before beating my head against it for a while. By the time I can get magical smelting up I always have at least a pulverizer/redstone furnace or SAG mill/alloy smelter system up and running and I just can't give a poo poo anymore.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Good:
-boilers and steam power system
-multiblock tanks (yes an ME computer with the mod to do liquids is better, it just looks cool to have a 4x5x5 tank full of your favorite liquid here sitting about.)

Bad:
-Invisible heat blocks (it's a config setting and any reasonably intelligent modpack will have disabled them)
-trains are neat but really not all that worthwhile

Hilarious:
-electrified (read: instant death on touch) rail.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TBH for the amount of effort and resources that you have to put into a functional railway in Railcraft, it's really not worth it at all. It, like Buildcraft and IC2, has fallen to the wayside in the last few years.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

TBH for the amount of effort and resources that you have to put into a functional railway in Railcraft, it's really not worth it at all. It, like Buildcraft and IC2, has fallen to the wayside in the last few years.

Omps greatest accomplishment in modding will always be booting out ic2 in favour of Thermex and making that action popular.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Back on the OMPi is slow loading talk. I google Java setting for MC, trying to remember what the flag was that you used to have to set in Technic to make big packs work and found these.

Java 7:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:PermSize=256M -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+UseStringCache -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseCompressedStrings -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Java 8:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

The Java 7 version about halved my OMPi load time. So if things are still slow for you give that a try.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Just wondering, do casting channels in Tinkers Construct work better for doing bulk ingot casting than say, having a bunch of drains with one casting table/cast per drain/faucet? I remember channels not really working and don't see much talk about them.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

CrazyTolradi posted:

Just wondering, do casting channels in Tinkers Construct work better for doing bulk ingot casting than say, having a bunch of drains with one casting table/cast per drain/faucet? I remember channels not really working and don't see much talk about them.

I just use ducts for mast casting. Its fast fairly cheep and you can just leave it be.

On that note is the high oven still a thing, or is their away to stop the regular smeltery from making alloys, or am I just boned.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I seem to have a random issue with the Regrowth, every now and again and it doesn't matter if I've play for 5 minutes or 2 hours or if there is a ton on the screen or I'm starting a fresh game. The issue is sometimes when I click on a recipe on the NEI menu to the right of my inventory it will just crash to desktop and then I have to reload the whole thing again. Is this a common issue or am I just lucky.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I get it occasionally, no idea why because I haven't looked at the crash log and loading it back up isn't too onerous.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, I watched this be written.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I seem to have a random issue with the Regrowth, every now and again and it doesn't matter if I've play for 5 minutes or 2 hours or if there is a ton on the screen or I'm starting a fresh game. The issue is sometimes when I click on a recipe on the NEI menu to the right of my inventory it will just crash to desktop and then I have to reload the whole thing again. Is this a common issue or am I just lucky.

Probably the same bug I run into all the time. If you disconnect and do not close the game (as well as possibly the launcher), looking up an NEI recipe that you have previously viewed will crash the game.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StealthArcher posted:

So, I watched this be written.

You make that your server currency, gate stuff behind it, and then act surprised when somebody writes about dongs. :butt:

How are you supposed to get magic seeds on your server anyways?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You make that your server currency, gate stuff behind it, and then act surprised when somebody writes about dongs. :butt:

How are you supposed to get magic seeds on your server anyways?

They are literally the only thing gated behind the currency, silly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I love the hats mod. :allears:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Air pumps have to be on a flat surface. No blocks next to them except empty blocks or levers or a tank. Depending on the version of mariculture you may need to give it a redstone signal before pumping gas. For air supply it just sucks to hand-crank it. Powering it should work in theory but like you I couldn't get engines to work. Maybe with conductive pipes? Anyway just bypass the issue altogether by making a ring of chordata and use that with your diving helmet.

Oh nice, didn't even look at all that jewelry stuff. I'll have to make one later, thanks!

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I have that happen occasionally, but its usually only when I turn on creative to get out of being stuck on a door something and forget to turn it off when I search/look at recipes. It SEEMS more common if I've been playing awhile but I dunno what the issue might be. As said it isn't that bad, besides dealing with minecraft insisting on full screen windowed for some reason when I start back up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If anybody was curious, I finished all the mod updates for Baby's First Space Race yesterday. I'm not checking all the config options and reproducing the issues that had come up in the past month or so. I took care of a few of them awhile ago, so this won't be too big of a deal. I will try to manually complete some of the quests, but it does take me some time to do a complete playthrough. I have started to scare myself with how I can smash through some stuff though.

An example of something that worries me is that when I started with ATG for terrain, I got a ton of trees. I saw this once before when I was adjusting ATG default parameters. I did update that mod, so how it uses its options might have changed. I think I saw a bunch of stuff that happened in Galacticraft so I have to see if all those quests still even work.

I also will want to make sure I track down all the stuff CB's deploader is downloading and just include it by default. That loader isn't very proxy-friendly, and I prefer people get a working pack by default when they download it.

I unfortunately had to update to the latest forge too, so I'm fearing people will have problems with the 20-minute Mojang like I see here with omp-i. The problem is I expect my pack's users to be just starting out, and more accustomed to just staring at that screen when base Minecraft is loading up. So I fear I'll get swamped with it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So a friend of mine and I set up a custom modpack, Very rarely, it works fine. The other 95% of the time when I try and boot up the pack via the launcher, it locks up. The loading progress bars (from Forge, I think?) stop at "Loading: Initializing Minecraft Engine" and "Rendering Setup: Render Global Instance."

Any tips? As far as I can tell I don't do anything different on the very rare occasion it loads properly. My friend has no problems at any time, using the same pack downloaded from the Launcher.

e: disabling the loading splash fixed it!

Steelion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I see yet another person here subscribes to the "just throw everything on the loving ground, who cares" school of home base design.

Any time I have a safe area (especially in skyblock-style maps) I basically just don't make buildings. I throw all my thermal dynamics machines flat on the ground in a messy cluster, and then all my Thaumcraft stuff in another cluster, and then somewhere over to the side I'll have my field of magic crops. Just a big mess of devices and special blocks. Who cares. I don't need a roof.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I see yet another person here subscribes to the "just throw everything on the loving ground, who cares" school of home base design.

Any time I have a safe area (especially in skyblock-style maps) I basically just don't make buildings. I throw all my thermal dynamics machines flat on the ground in a messy cluster, and then all my Thaumcraft stuff in another cluster, and then somewhere over to the side I'll have my field of magic crops. Just a big mess of devices and special blocks. Who cares. I don't need a roof.

Just you wait till I get back home, you will eat those words!

Edit: Thy post all the pictures of all our so many roofs, please, my honour is on the line.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2015

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
The Agrarian Skies 2 says there is an update available when I start it through the Technic Launcher. Should I try to fiddle with the other launcher or wait for it to be updated on the Technic site?

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Just for your information, gently caress Hungry Nodes, That is all.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Building protop: get an Ender IO painting machine and a shitload of glowstone and just build your floors out of painted glowstone blocks and gently caress lighting forever.

Downside: easily breakable.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Light Gun Man posted:

Building protop: get an Ender IO painting machine and a shitload of glowstone and just build your floors out of painted glowstone blocks and gently caress lighting forever.

Downside: easily breakable.

This but make glowstone bricks from MFR, which look pretty good, actually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cantorsdust posted:

This but make glowstone bricks from MFR, which look pretty good, actually.

The point with the painting machine is that you can make them look like pretty much any block you want.

Carpenter blocks probably has a similar trick somewhere.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

Not my base man!

I decided to build into a mountain! :haw: Kol moved in and two other dudes who play with me build that outside house for their chocobos.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

The point with the painting machine is that you can make them look like pretty much any block you want.
Aren't Carpenter blocks tile entities though? I thought they lagged badly. Not individually, but having dozens or even hundreds around your base sure adds up, right?
Do painted blocks work the same way?

Thyrork posted:

Not my base man!
Well then my point stands, just in relation to whoever's outside base that is.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Aren't Carpenter blocks tile entities though? I thought they lagged badly. Not individually, but having dozens or even hundreds around your base sure adds up, right?
Do painted blocks work the same way?

Maybe, I'm not really sure. I just assume my large builds are going to tank the local framerate either way. I play on a small server that often only has one or zero people online so it's not a big problem for us.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ooh baby that is a clever trick to push all your bits of liquid metal into one block caster. I'll have to steal that trick when I'm back to early stage.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Right-clicking them with a glowstone dust in hand makes them emit max light

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

BlueOccamy posted:

The Agrarian Skies 2 says there is an update available when I start it through the Technic Launcher. Should I try to fiddle with the other launcher or wait for it to be updated on the Technic site?

I haven't updated because the update trashes your progress and we're soclose to finishing all the quests on my AgSk2 server.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
For some reason, the Technic launcher is recognizing my java as 32 bit (I have 64 bit installed). Reinstalling java didn't fix it, and I can't update OMP-i only being able to allocate 1 GB max.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

mechaet posted:

I haven't updated because the update trashes your progress and we're soclose to finishing all the quests on my AgSk2 server.

I was hoping it didn't reset, ah well. I can wait til you're ready to update it, no worries! I'm actually kind of hankering to set up those silly "turn in a billion lettuce" type quests like the first pack, didn't realize how much they gave me incentive to build things... Thank you again for putting it on the Technic launcher, I (and others, I'm sure) appreciate it!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Steelion posted:

e: disabling the loading splash fixed it!
How did you do this? I suspect I should probably do this for the BFSR release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

I thought the rendering update for 1.9 got dropped since Ryan got fired from Mojang and is off working on Candy Crush instead and Ryan was specifically hired to work on rendering stuff.. Searge has been going on recently about how they are trying to include as few internal changes.

My guess for the reason they announced a combat update and switched away from massive internal rewrites was because of Ryan no longer working there, they have to either move the work onto someone else currently on the team (I doubt this) or hire another team member or contractor (Ryan started as a contractor for Mojang) whose focused on rendering.

The problem with the 1.8 update is a lot of modders are probably not going to update until they have to, which might be never. There are 3 issues with updating:

- Bukkit used to update week-of and then you'd have players who could get their modded fix with the new features elsewhere (to an extent) and now bukkit is dead so there's no external pressure.
- Between 1.6 and 1.7 there were two major updates that were billed as low-feature internal improvements that would improve performance and the internal structure of the code. Both of them reduces performance in a modded context and the improvements to the internal structure were engineered by grum and dinnerbone to be harder to forge mod because they are assholes who don't want forge to be part of the ecosystem.
- Also, the initial releases of both 1.6 and 1.7 were buggy pieces of poo poo and forge was stuck on those early versions for awhile. 1.7.2 was ESPECIALLY bad and forge was stuck there for a long-rear end time. Anyone who updated to 1.7.2 eventually regretted it. So everyone wants the updates to shake out first.

So now you've got this version that's tougher to update to than 1.6 and 1.7 combined and hey, it's a low-feature internal improvement that's billed as improving performance and the internal structure of the code. And everyone's hated the way mojang is doing blockstates since mojang started talking about them, generally the internal structure of the code in 1.8 is, uh, controversial. And everyone's heard this song before. There is a very real possibility that 1.8 does actually improve performance for everyone, but only because a member of the Minecraft PE team backported a culling algorithm he developed onto the PC. Now CoFHTweaks has made an implementation of that algorithm available for 1.7, so who gives a crap? It's not a great implementation but whatever, its' there. The point is nobody believes in it at all. From a modder's point of view, Minecraft has been getting worse to work with for a year now, nobody believes 1.8 is gonna be the jesus update.

It's probably that 1.9 is gonna be a huge surge of activity, because it's got features that players care seriously about so the number of modders updating just to play 1.9 will probably form a critical mass that places pressure on everyone else. Or maybe it won't and nobody will care until sponge is up and running and there's external pressure once again from an easier-to-update modding platform.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 22, 2015