Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Eonwe posted:

oh I know things aren't always going to be perfect but

I was an office drone before, went back and finished a 2nd bachelors in IT so the job pays more, I have more freedom, I can do computer-y stuff instead of processing paperwork all day, I generally can leave when my shift is over and turn my brain off (unless there is a big thing like Office365 getting pushed out), I get a salary and if I go over 40 hours a week I get overtime no questions asked

whereas before I got paid half as much, routinely worked 60 hours with no additional pay, did stuff I hate more, and had to constantly check my email when I was off work

Awesome! Sounds like you definitely traded up! Grats!
I know the feeling, having been at my current spot a little over 3 months. It's definitely a good feeling getting rid of a lot of unnecessary stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

This is a weird backsplaination. Just because windows 10 is supported as direct upgrade from 7 and Microsoft has gone back to try to explain why businesses stuck on XP forever (then 7 forever), it doesn't mean 8.x wasn't intended to do some thing it clearly was intended to do.

When I say "recommended," I mean recommended by any consulting firm, not necessarily Microsoft. 8.X can obviously work in an enterprise environment (and does so quite well on the Surface and Surface Pro), but it doesn't offer any improvements over Windows 7 as a commercial desktop OS and the associated costs in time and manpower of deploying it, along with the learning curve faced by users, make upgrading not worthwhile. Pretty much any VAR or MSP will tell you to go straight from 7 to 10.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Simon Numbers posted:

Thanks for sharing, it's difficult to find someone that has any experience in the field as like you said; it's a niche field. You've quelled my fears a little bit.

I've given myself two years to finish my tertiary qualifications and get as many certs as I can related to networking and Sys admin. And then I'll try and get a transfer to an international role which will give me the opportunity to move around to different countries(which I like the idea of). Not being limited to just networking is probably the best idea as it'll enable me to dodge downsizing a little better.

Another large concern for me as well is getting experience in some of the more niche applications that are similar in function to what I'm using or ones that I've never used before. An example is that the entry level job I'm looking at uses TACACS but my current experience is Radius. I'm confident I can figure the applications out with ease but it still doesn't beat hands on experience. Is it something I could virtualize?

NZAmoeba sent me a message that you were looking for someone with a similar career path. I did all of this starting in 2006 so it may be different now - but I worked helpdesk at an ISP for two years, then switched jobs to work a helpdesk at a MSP. While in there I was like a sponge, just tackling any problem that came into our NOC and absorbing all the knowledge that came with it, talking with a lot of the admins about how to fix these problems, etc. Once a networking guy quit, I was the only logical person for promotion. If you stay at a large ISP your career path will probably be different since you'll end up being a small cog in a much bigger machine, whereas I was just one of 8 guys who could potentially be promoted - but one of my coworkers who is like my equal did come from the same ISP helpdesk as me and he still got here without leaving the ISP, albeit with a bit less money due to lovely pay raises in corporate land.

Two years to get basic qualifications is too long, you need to kick yourself in the rear end and get on that. The ICND1 can be done in a month or two, same for ICND2. In this day and age there's no reason not to virtualize 10 or so routers/switches using GNS3 and finding router/switch bin files on the internet and figure out how to get around the CLI and configure ports/routing protocols/authentication. Most guys we interview who have a CCNA can't even answer basic questions you would learn by building a virtual lab and breaking parts of it then learning how to fix it. You can tie GNS3 into TACACS to learn that if you want but honestly TACACS is easy to manage, the route/switch stuff is the hard part.

Also, just keep in mind it's quite easy to become complacant, nothing wrong it but it can hurt your career long term - you shouldn't really ever stop learning or become comfortable, if you want to be at the next level and it's not happening at your current job, shop around.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

When I say "recommended," I mean recommended by any consulting firm, not necessarily Microsoft. 8.X can obviously work in an enterprise environment (and does so quite well on the Surface and Surface Pro), but it doesn't offer any improvements over Windows 7 as a commercial desktop OS and the associated costs in time and manpower of deploying it, along with the learning curve faced by users, make upgrading not worthwhile. Pretty much any VAR or MSP will tell you to go straight from 7 to 10.

That makes more sense. I guess I just find this sad for Microsoft. They wanted to get away from an incredibly outdated UI paradigm and try something different, and everyone hates it because it's different. The training costs incurred with teaching desk workers how to use a new UI are significant, but stuffing Metro apps into the side of the start menu so it takes up half the screen and users get to keep their precious lower-left windows logo is hideous and depressing.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

tomapot posted:

Sorry I missed this post yesterday, don't laugh I built my career on SharePoint since its beginning. I now run a enterprise service for developing and hosting custom SharePoint solutions for our company. SharePoint is a huge business for Microsoft so it won't hurt you to learn the skills if it ties into your current job.

My first piece of advice is:

They are there for a reason, don't ignore the recommendations. If your boss wants to cheap out and only give you one server to run SharePoint and SQL, run away. Follow what they say for scaling and resources and especially around setting up the SQL server. SharePoint can be a hog so don't share infrastructure with other systems if at all possible. Even though we build custom apps on top of SharePoint we follow Microsoft's best practices and have a governance plan for development.

The next item is to figure out your role. SharePoint is a big sprawling beast that covers hardware, OS, IIS, application layer, SQL, storage, networking, etc. Are you responsible for everything or just keeping SharePoint happy and healthy? We have DBA teams that manage our SQL so we don't need that expertise on our team which is good. We have a separate team that manages Active Directory which affects the UserProfile which is bad because our AD profiles are not great. If you have more freedom across those technologies at your company that's good but you'll also be doing more to keep this thing going.

Once you figure our your role you'll want to look for resources. There is a ton of free training and documentation for SharePoint out there if you search around Microsoft's website, TechNet, Channel 9, etc. If you live in around a major city there is usually a SharePoint User Group. There is also a Yammer network for O365 / SharePoint professionals. There used to be a SharePoint thread here in SH/SC but I think it died off, feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck.

Thanks for the info! I have a feeling in the long run this isn't going to happen, especially with the way he was originally approaching it. I think a vendor talked to him and gave him a presentation about it yesterday and he was all amped up about it. I talked to him a bit about it today and asked what the end goal was. Basically he wanted to start off small, with an IT portal that is basically a knowledge base for our users. Then implement a place for HR to store and present information, eventually working up to workflows for internal documents.

I don't think he quite understands how complicated of a beast it is. He actually told me it's not all that complex and should be easy to install and go today. He also wants to just install it on a VM. The more I've dug into it the more I realize that probably isn't going to work long term. Also I was looking at licensing costs and I don't know how/why we would justify paying as much as I think we'd have to for what we would use it for. Of course we've done dumber things so we'll see.

At the end of the day I don't care either way, I'm at least going to get paid the next few weeks to watch videos and read books.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Sounds like he wants a wiki.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

That makes more sense. I guess I just find this sad for Microsoft. They wanted to get away from an incredibly outdated UI paradigm and try something different, and everyone hates it because it's different. The training costs incurred with teaching desk workers how to use a new UI are significant, but stuffing Metro apps into the side of the start menu so it takes up half the screen and users get to keep their precious lower-left windows logo is hideous and depressing.

Start Menu and Taskbar are "good enough", and will continue to be good enough until the end of time. If Microsoft busts in and tells everyone they've reinvented the wheel, why shouldn't we resent them for forcing it on us?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

The problem is that metro is terrible on large displays with keyboard and mouse.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

The problem is that metro is terrible on large displays with keyboard and mouse.

Uh no it's not. That's what I run at home and I have zero issues, a lot of actions are quicker/more efficient than before once I got used to it. This is like a circa 2012 argument, drat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
MS thought they'd get ahead of the curve with a unified UI across all platforms. Unfortunately they didn't seem to realize no one really wanted(or needed) it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Windows 7 > Windows 8 was an actual downgrade in usability. The search was just not as good. Although I'd been trained by 7 to do the start button + type what I want, rather than clicking and hunting. I think the 8/8.1 menu is inferior for clicking and hunting, as the few times I have to do it (usually on 2012 Servers I'm RDPd into :devil:). So if people are still doing that there's a disadvantage. There was also the visual shock of going between the Desktop and the Start menu in 8. 8.1 fixed the search, and fixed the visual shock, and at this point I have no trouble switching between the two.

And 10 makes everything better by ditching the full screen thing for desktops but keeping it for touch devices.

Anyway, that's my take on it, because what the world really needed was one more opinion on the Windows 8 start menu.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I use 8.1 at home and don't really mind the UI because indexed searching is insanely fast so you don't actually need a start menu anymore. I do wish they would make the search bar easier to get to if you have multiple monitors.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Search is nice if you know what you are looking for. Otherwise ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh no it's not. That's what I run at home and I have zero issues, a lot of actions are quicker/more efficient than before once I got used to it. This is like a circa 2012 argument, drat.

I'm going to have to, um... disagree with you there.

The metro screen and metro apps are straight up not designed for use with a mouse, and it shows. Keyboard shortcuts solve some problems, but the average user is not going to learn them. Just because you've adapted doesn't mean it's not objectively worse.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

Start Menu and Taskbar are "good enough", and will continue to be good enough until the end of time. If Microsoft busts in and tells everyone they've reinvented the wheel, why shouldn't we resent them for forcing it on us?
A lot of things have been "good enough" in the past, and would have been "good enough" forever until someone came up with a new paradigm that everyone agrees is better. Why fault Microsoft for trying?

If they didn't force it on you, you'd all throw fits about "muh start menu" and "muh boot to desktop", and they'd have to go back to the same tired UI they've had since Windows 95, but figure out a way to try to tack new/modern stuff on it. Which happened anyway. But that happens every time Microsoft tries anything new. Windows users are impossible to please. Why make new versions at all?

The Fool posted:

I've literally never used Metro in anything other than RDP or a VM on a large display, and it seems fine to me, because you don't actually need to use it for anything. If you want to run apps, you can just hit the Windows key and start typing, but I personally don't like anything that requires you to interact with a mouse or touchscreen, and Metro is a million times better for keyboard-driven workflow, because I don't have the time (or use Windows often enough, really) to memorize the slew of windows-only hotkeys.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One actually lovely thing about 2012 and RDP and not having an actual start "button" to click is that the only way to launch the menu was to press the start key or move the mouse into the bottom left corner. If you didn't full screen your RDP session, then the local host will intercept the start button instead of the remote host, and you basically have a 1x1 pixel zone you need to mouseover. So that was a pain. But R2 added the button so it's fine now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evol262 posted:

I've literally never used Metro in anything other than RDP or a VM on a large display, and it seems fine to me, because you don't actually need to use it for anything. If you want to run apps, you can just hit the Windows key and start typing, but I personally don't like anything that requires you to interact with a mouse or touchscreen, and Metro is a million times better for keyboard-driven workflow, because I don't have the time (or use Windows often enough, really) to memorize the slew of windows-only hotkeys.

The whole "hit the windows key and start typing" thing has been around since Vista. Even using that as your primary method of launching programs, it's still a jarring user experience to have your whole screen change when bringing up the menu.

Anyway, that's solved in 10 with the search box/launcher/cortana being on the taskbar.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
While we are on the modernization of the Windows UI, may I take a moment to point out my hatred for people who change the default view for the Control Panels in anything post 2003/XP? Yes, it is new and different , but god drat it, this style is here to stay and learn it. Every default install uses the new layout, and changing it to a sea of small icons (especially in a remote session) is stupid.

While I did use Start8 when I first started using Win8 and 2012, I have grown to like the modern interface with the updates to 8.1 and 2012 R2 that are less driven on gestures. Most notably the logout and power buttons on the Start Menu, particularly for Server.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Interviewing for an entry level QA position tomorrow. I've got no professional experience in QA, just testing small projects for friends. What should I be looking into for tomorrow?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

mayodreams posted:

While we are on the modernization of the Windows UI, may I take a moment to point out my hatred for people who change the default view for the Control Panels in anything post 2003/XP? Yes, it is new and different , but god drat it, this style is here to stay and learn it. Every default install uses the new layout, and changing it to a sea of small icons (especially in a remote session) is stupid.

While I did use Start8 when I first started using Win8 and 2012, I have grown to like the modern interface with the updates to 8.1 and 2012 R2 that are less driven on gestures. Most notably the logout and power buttons on the Start Menu, particularly for Server.

Sorry you've got bad opinions on Control Panel

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

If you want to run apps, you can just hit the Windows key and start typing, but I personally don't like anything that requires you to interact with a mouse or touchscreen, and Metro is a million times better for keyboard-driven workflow

Keyboard-driven workflow? Who wants to gently caress around on a keyboard? What if it's dark and I can't touch type, or I have an Oculus Rift on my face, or trying to jerk off, or in the back of the server rack with a wireless mouse against my pants and I don't wanna hold up a wireless keyboard with one hand and type with the other one?

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Interviewing for an entry level QA position tomorrow. I've got no professional experience in QA, just testing small projects for friends. What should I be looking into for tomorrow?

Be energetic for the interview, I've worked at a lot of videogame QA jobs and they mostly just want high-energy kids that can power through the tedium at crazy-high hours then be discarded once they've burned you out. Tell them you're super patient and notice details in apps that other people don't. Your work output will be bug reports with written steps of how exactly you produced the bug.

Pro-tip, if you get the job, record video of everything you do when testing. You'll be able to figure out the reproduction steps much more accurately than people who don't record themselves, I did that and was twice as effective as the other testers so they had me do screen-recording setups for them too.

mayodreams posted:

If I can't set the static IP of a network adapter in less than 6 clicks I get pissed off pretty fast. Win 8/10 both keep developing new ways to hide it from me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm about to talk with some VMware architect and its going to be a million miles over my head

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zero VGS posted:

If I can't set the static IP of a network adapter in less than 6 clicks I get pissed off pretty fast. Win 8/10 both keep developing new ways to hide it from me.

You do realize that in 8.1/2012 R2 you can just right click the start button and go directly to Network Connections right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please Use PowerShell.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

On a whim I tested this. Should work in 7/8/8.1/10

1. Right-click on network status icon.
2. Click on open network and sharing center.
3. Click on adapter name.
4. Click on properties button.
5. Select IPv4 in list.
6. Click properties button.

Also,

1. Press start key.
2. type "view network connections"
3. Press enter.
4. Right click on adapter.
5. Click on properties.
6. Select IPv4 in list.
7. Click properties button.

Or,
pre:
netsh interface ip set address name=”Local Area Connection” static 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254

bull3964 posted:

You do realize that in 8.1/2012 R2 you can just right click the start button and go directly to Network Connections right?

I keep forgetting about that menu. This menu can also be accessed with win+x, which I think someone mentioned earlier.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Netsh is being deprecated so that's a bad idea. Use PowerShell.

PLEASE

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

Keyboard-driven workflow? Who wants to gently caress around on a keyboard? What if it's dark and I can't touch type, or I have an Oculus Rift on my face, or trying to jerk off, or in the back of the server rack with a wireless mouse against my pants and I don't wanna hold up a wireless keyboard with one hand and type with the other one?
I know this is joking, but isn't this the working in IT thread? You best be able to touch type.

Coming from an area where basically 100% of your meaningful interacting with the system is through a terminal, my desktop is arranged around opening terminals as easily as possible (with the keyboard), having it tile automatically, switching between windows with a terminal multiplexer or keybindings, swapping monitor/window arrangement with keybindings, etc. If I need to use a mouse to perform real work, something's broken.

I guess for a Windows person, maybe it's the opposite perspective.

Zero VGS posted:

DHCP reservation -- zero clicks!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Netsh is being deprecated so that's a bad idea. Use PowerShell.

PLEASE

Sorry.

pre:
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254
http://www.howtogeek.com/112660/how-to-change-your-ip-address-using-powershell/

edit: wrong link

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

Sorry.

pre:
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254
http://www.howtogeek.com/103190/change-your-ip-address-from-the-command-prompt/

I'm less triggered now, thank you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. I have one unique user who has files that are sensitive to a degree higher than our normal data, I guess it's stuff related to lawsuits or something.

As a result, he wants a separate storage solution from our network shares.

I've been looking at this guy:
https://iosafe.com/products-2baynas-overview

Does this seem like a sorta decent solution? Is there some huge problem that I'll be kicking myself for a year later?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evol262 posted:

DHCP reservation -- zero clicks!

Step 1: Setup dhcp server in the same vlan/subnet as your server/whatever and create a range.
Step 2: As you spin up a server/whatever let dhcp hand it an address in that range.
Step 3: Set the address assigned from dhcp as a reservation through the dhcp gui,powershell, who cares.
Step 4: Wonder why you ever wasted time trying to organize everything in excel or whatever other complicated scheme you setup for servers/workstations/whatever that needed static addresses.

Very few things really need static addresses setup on the device. Why not keep everyting centrally managed where it is possible? Isn't that kind of the point to everything we do?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 21, 2015

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Why is IPv4Address a string but DefaultGateway isn't? Not trying to be pedantic (I am bad at Powershell and do not have an answer for this question).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sheep posted:

Why is IPv4Address a string but DefaultGateway isn't? Not trying to be pedantic (I am bad at Powershell and do not have an answer for this question).

They're both actually strings: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh826150

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sheep posted:

Actually DefaultGateway is also a string. Or at least that's what the documentation says.

efb

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sheep posted:

Because I copy-pasted from a poorly written article and quotes being around those values don't matter.

pre:
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address “192.168.0.1” –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway "192.168.0.254"
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address 192.168.0.1 –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway "192.168.0.254"
New-NetIPAddress –InterfaceAlias “Wired Ethernet Connection” –IPv4Address 192.168.0.1 –PrefixLength 24 -DefaultGateway 192.168.0.254
Should all do the same thing.

efb

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone ever set up their phone system with a hybrid of both PRI and SIP? I'd like to make it so calls go out over VoIP, but if we ever suffer an internet outage, the call will persist and ring the office phone back through the PRI/PTSN. That's a thing right?

Yeah, I have seen setups like that. Depending on cost, sometimes the PRI may be preferred for local calls than using SIP. You can pull this off with dial peers. Call will not persist if it's over SIP and you suffer a WAN outage.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

How are you going to set a static ip without a keyboard?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

lampey posted:

Character map.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

lampey posted:

Telnet via serial port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lampey posted:

:smuggo:

Edit: Goddamit.