Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Conan is now the old man of late night.

how loving weird is that.

Like I said earlier, I was too young to ever watch Dave's Late Night show. But all the things people are saying about his Late Night show (it was something they "discovered", it felt like they were in on the joke, it felt new and fresh and like comedy written for them instead of their parents, etc) are all the things I felt like watching Conan's Late Night show for the first few seasons in the mid 90's. So let's do this all again in 15 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
That was just about everything I was hoping for. Godspeed to yet another of my imaginary TV friends.

Anyway, tomorrow the 11:35 slot reverts to pre-Dave status for awhile, so see you then for Crimetime After Prime Time! Only without Silk Stalkings, so not even that! :smith:

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

OldSenileGuy posted:

Like I said earlier, I was too young to ever watch Dave's Late Night show. But all the things people are saying about his Late Night show (it was something they "discovered", it felt like they were in on the joke, it felt new and fresh and like comedy written for them instead of their parents, etc) are all the things I felt like watching Conan's Late Night show for the first few seasons in the mid 90's. So let's do this all again in 15 years or so.

I can't agree more. I was born in '82 so I never saw Dave's Late Night live, but Conan's Late Night pretty much defined the last half of the 90's for me. As a gen x'er I just can't see how Seth Meyers' could ever have the same relevance, but I guess thats just how it goes. I am definitely planning on going back and checking out whatever clips I can find of Dave's NBC days.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
FWIW, Conan had one of his best interviews in a while with Patton Oswalt just shooting the poo poo about Dave. You take him off script and get him really engaged and vulnerable, and he's still got the stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DivisionPost posted:

FWIW, Conan had one of his best interviews in a while with Patton Oswalt just shooting the poo poo about Dave. You take him off script and get him really engaged and vulnerable, and he's still got the stuff.

Conan's biggest strength is ad-libbing. Dude was fantastic on Stern back in February, even when Howard brought up the Leno thing again.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

OldSenileGuy posted:

Conan's NBC run, after he found his footing, was pretty incredible in the 90s. He did an admirable job in keeping with the spirit that Letterman had established for that show/time slot. He did stupid stunts, he had stupid bits and he had a large cast of stupid characters like the masturbating bear, Pimpbot 5000 and all the rest. Plus how his announcer Joel really sold the idea he was an unstable psycho with those wonderful facial expressions and vocal work.

Conan still has the best bits of the other hosts out there now though. He is the next best thing to Dave now that Dave has retired.

I have high hopes for Colbert but that's 4 months away.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

I can't agree more. I was born in '82 so I never saw Dave's Late Night live, but Conan's Late Night pretty much defined the last half of the 90's for me. As a gen x'er I just can't see how Seth Meyers' could ever have the same relevance, but I guess thats just how it goes. I am definitely planning on going back and checking out whatever clips I can find of Dave's NBC days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Zschim?videos

Dude had a shitload of NBC-era Letterman full shows uploaded.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

say no to bats posted:

Conan still has the best bits of the other hosts out there now though. He is the next best thing to Dave now that Dave has retired.

Yep. Conan is continuing the Dave tradition more than anyone else by a long shot. The past couple years he seems to be stepping back towards that sort of comedy again, which is awesome to see.

It's weird seeing Kimmell talk so emotionally about Dave and show the pictures of him and his teens with the late night cake and license plate, and then do a show that's so mainstream compared to him.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The late night host who was that for me was Craig Ferguson, but unlike those guys, who got to live their careers out on late night TV, Craig got pushed off to make room for that dumb Brit git.

For whatever reason, I'm very unattached to the early nineties as a pop cultural era, so grunge, Simpsons, Conan, all do nothing for me. Craig was something I just found one day and he had a weird horse and amazing interviews and a robot sidekick, and I'm a little jealous that y'all get/got to watch their guy carve a niche while mine is hosting a game show and starring in failed pilots.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Finally watching the show now (I work nights, so I had recorded it)

It's pretty awesome that he spoke about Colbert on his last episode.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Conan was the last person who had the ability to be weird on TV. That 12:30 slot used to be one of the few spots that you could had weird and edgy material. Now the Television business is dying and EVERYTHING on the networks has to be so sanitized and scrutinized because even though it might be on at 12:30 or even 3:00 AM someone is going to notice it and put it on the internet. A perfect example of this recently is "Too Many Cooks" which even a few years ago would have been noticed by a couple dozen people and been a rumor at best becomes a huge thing overnight. With the Networks playing it safe and trying to put anything interesting online you have too many eyes on the product. The magic from Dave and Conan came because they knew that they could push the envelope in whatever ways they wanted and no one who would complain and more importantly in charge would notice.

Kimmel, Fallon and the rest are never going to be able to do anything other than the boring sanitized show in the vein of Leno. The Networks want a cheap, safe daily show with high profile celebrities to draw in viewers and more importantly advertising dollars. The celebrities and more importantly their management/publicists want a talking head that they can go on and promote their project with no chance of any surprises.

The internet is both the savior of edgy comedy and the death of it on mainstream television. Honestly I don't think we will ever see anything edgy on mainstream television ever again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Just finished watching.

What a wonderful, wonderful way to end the show. Foo Fighters were fantastic, the Top Ten was done great, he set the stage for Colbert, and it wasn't too sappy.

Also insanely happy that Leno didn't come on.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I used to tape Late Nite and watch it before going to school in the morning. One of my favorite eras was during the writer's strike, when they had no material to speak of. They'd throw toast at the audience, bring on off-off-off Broadway acts, and do all sorts of crap for "Hal Gertner's Network Time Killers." (I love how he'd never pronounce Gernee's name correctly.)

It truly was a Late Nite World of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_t9kcir8RA

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is that Melissa Etheridge as one of the backup singers?

EDIT: I don't really know how to process No More Dave. I was five when his morning show started. My mother found that show and was instantly captivated by the weirdness, and ever since then, Dave has always been around as a weird smartass who messed with celebrities and celebrated ordinary people (while also messing with them). Smart-dumb comedy is my favorite, and I owe a lot of my sense of humor to him. I also perhaps owe some of my ironic detachment from everything to him, too, but that's something I should discuss with my therapist after I get my full psychological workup.

I'm sad that Conan is kind of relegated to being a cable afterthought now (especially since I don't have cable anymore), I'm sad that someone as anti-dynamic as Seth Meyers has the Late Night slot, I'm sad that someone as anti-Craig Ferguson as James Corden has the Late Late Show (I can't deal with listening to his voice, even), and I can at least enjoy Jimmy Fallon sometimes when I'm in the mood for something upbeat - best when Higgins and The Roots are involved. Hoping for good Colbertness.

I'm torn between bemoaning No More Dave and going 'he did over 6000 goddamned episodes, what more could we possibly want?'

Except maybe a half-hour podcast where he just grouses about things on a weekly basis. No guests, no nothing. Just Dave going "Now HERE'S what I don't get about this latest thing..."

Also, seconding the motion for NBC to get off its rear end and make a Tonight/Late Night archive site of every drat episode of all of it. I want to watch Steve Allen Tonight Shows, even.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 21, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I can't agree more. I was born in '82 so I never saw Dave's Late Night live

If you mean you never saw it at the studio, that makes sense. If you don't remember Late Night on live TV? What the... I was born in 82 as well, and saw quite a bit of Late Night. It didn't even move until 1993.

I still maintain that Dave hasn't entertained me like he used to for a decade. I partly blame The Daily Show (I needed a liberal pressure valve more than celebrity interviews during the Bush administration), but its been a long time since he left the studio to mess with people, or dropped stuff off the roof of the building, or saw if a guy in a bear suit can hail a taxi. A lot of what Dave used to do set up for Conan, Ferguson, and others down the road. Especially his NBC show, which was charming with how low budget it was. He changed over time as he became a Broadway attraction.

In recent years, he became basically Ed Sullivan, which worked because, y'know. But like Sullivan and the Beatles, Dave's people had a really good niche in booking indie bands and the like in between appearances by superstars. I think the British hipster guy on NME this month was on Late Show months ago. I often times watch a late night show based entirely on musical guests, and Dave had the biggest variety.

I'll still find it really weird to see him not on the schedule, though.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 21, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dave went out very low key... classy.

In comparison to Carson it was a low leveled affair.

As a fan since the early 80's, I'll miss that gap-toothed bastard.

He was better at 12:30 but I cannot disregard his entire body of work.

Paul Schaffer was also a load... always.

Anton Figg, the drummer, being there since day 1 is cool.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

The late night host who was that for me was Craig Ferguson, but unlike those guys, who got to live their careers out on late night TV, Craig got pushed off to make room for that dumb Brit git.
Craig is an anomaly to the late night equation and always will be.
The fact you found him only makes you part of the chosen ones that "get it".

Stand proud knowing who the true late night King is.

Craig will forever be the best kept secret.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Craig wasn't good. And celebrity game show is also terrible. You people are insane.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Celebrity Game Show is indeed terrible.

But yer silly about that other stuff.

The sanity thing is debatable.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God I feel old now.

I guess there's still Conan I can watch occasionally when I want some late night comedy, but gently caress, losing Craig and then Letterman sucks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Yoshifan823 posted:

For whatever reason, I'm very unattached to the early nineties as a pop cultural era, so grunge, Simpsons, Conan, all do nothing for me.

I think most people who think of Conan think of 1997-2004. He may have started in 93, but he had a long hill to climb. In the weeks before the Leno/Letterman war, as everyone was lining up their guests, Conan had nobody scheduled yet. TV Guide's writer who was covering the late night wars felt pity on him. His first year or so was just being unfairly compared to Dave (and the opening sketch of his first episode was NYC stereotypes all vaguely threatening him about how "you BETTER be as good as Letterman!")

Dave's NBC show had the comfy low-budget vibe of Craig Ferguson's show, but Conan's show looked almost public access. He was just a guy who wrote some Simpson's episodes for a while, and then about the time college internet became widespread and students had sites like LiveJournal that he started to really gain a following. What else were students up late going to watch, Tom Snyder?

EDIT: It's really weird, I didn't like Craig's show for quite a period and I think I'm the only one. He started growing his show with strange gags and recurring characters that felt like some sort of really bad Pee-Wee's Funhouse to me, as well as doing things like thinking that randomly inserting "rear end Mode" into a jingle was funny. I was REALLY unhappy when Geoff was just a soundboard that kept saying "Balls!" at opportune times. Then they actually brought the comedian on board to be out of camera view doing the voice of Geoff and some of the 'callers' at the desk and the show swung back in the other direction and I loved it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 21, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Robnoxious posted:

Dave went out very low key... classy.

In comparison to Carson it was a low leveled affair.

As a fan since the early 80's, I'll miss that gap-toothed bastard.

He was better at 12:30 but I cannot disregard his entire body of work.

Paul Schaffer was also a load... always.

Anton Figg, the drummer, being there since day 1 is cool.
Steve Jordan was the first drummer. Anton Fig, drums (try to eat a dozen) joined in 1986.

Bassist Will Lee is (or was :( ) the only original WMDB member, besides Shaffer, obviously.

As for how Letterman changed from a.. well, an rear end in a top hat, into a broadcaster, this WSJ article really sums it up nicely.

quote:

Letterman’s seismic move to CBS in 1993 (after NBC chose Leno over him, poisoning his relationship with the network and the comic) brought a new show name, a time change, additional ratings pressure and some of that previously avoided slickness. When a super fan discusses the “Late Show,” it’s easy to sound like a disaffected rock critic bemoaning a beloved artist’s later work. That complaint is overbaked. There was fun stuff on CBS, too. Dave could still find awkwardness with guests (ask Joaquin Phoenix) and his tanking as the 1995 Oscar host gratifyingly underlined that Letterman would never convert to a showbiz suck-up.

But the remodeling of the show also commenced an under-appreciated aspect of Letterman’s career: his evolution into a surprisingly great American broadcaster.

Television can be a nasty little mousetrap. It’s hard to be successful, and the players who are fortunate to find fame are often frozen at their point of breakthrough, the audience unwilling to accept maturation and personal growth and all the things that, you know, happen to people as they get older. Nobody would have been shocked if, as Letterman aged, he simply tried to cling to his younger irreverence, flinging his 68-year-old self to Velcro walls, like in the old days. That’s what TV does to people who want to stay on TV, and it’s usually a cringefest.

Instead, Letterman began a quiet but noticeable transformation to a broader, more open, human version of himself. Part of this was driven by the move to 11:30 p.m. Another catalyst was more dramatic: his emergency quintuple-bypass surgery in 2000. Letterman missed a month on the air and the repaired man who returned was the opposite of self-loathing. He was super-energized and spectacularly grateful. (He began the postsurgery show by bringing out his medical team to thank them.) There was an earnestness and emotion that was impossible not to be moved by.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That was really the absolute perfect last top 10 list. Loved how instead of saying thank you to Bill he said, "Saw you on TV last night, you okay?"

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
That shot of Dave and Robin Williams in the montage killed me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

Leno got the ratings. Dave got the legacy.

Leno got ratings but contributed nothing. He's the Nickelback of late night.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

A coworker told me yesterday that he doesn't find Letterman or Conan funny, and he can't believe they took Leno off the air. I knew these people existed, but I don't think I'd ever encountered one of them before.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

Also, seconding the motion for NBC to get off its rear end and make a Tonight/Late Night archive site of every drat episode of all of it. I want to watch Steve Allen Tonight Shows, even.

i would watch all of the tom snyder

Diabolik900 posted:

A coworker told me yesterday that he doesn't find Letterman or Conan funny, and he can't believe they took Leno off the air. I knew these people existed, but I don't think I'd ever encountered one of them before.

ps i hate your coworker

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also hey they posted the Foo Fighters performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVjOUIoo6Q

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Mods, please change the thread title to David Letterman: He's Gone Already, Chief.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Hopkins FBI posted:

Mods, please change the thread title to David Letterman: He's Gone Already, Chief.

:smith:

:unsmith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm watching Letterman's last show and by god was that monologue terrible

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

I'm watching Letterman's last show and by god was that monologue terrible

Do you like anything? Like at all?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-throws-david-letterman-set-into-dumpster/

I'm surprised they didn't start tearing it apart during the show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Do you like anything? Like at all?

oh come on, that monologue was loving terrible, eye-rollingly bad dad jokes

the rest of the show has been better, at least the top ten was star-studded but that opening was loving wretched

the same joke about how letterman is a bad host that everyone "hates" with shaffer's annoying, really unfunny asides like they're worth a poo poo and don't interrupt what little comedic flow was present, thrown to some terrible pre-taped bits

it was a really bad start to a final episode even considering letterman has always been not good at monologues

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

:manning: wrote his thoughts on Letterman:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/21/nfl-peyton-manning-david-letterman-top-10-list-late-show-finale-cbs/

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Craptacular! posted:

If you mean you never saw it at the studio, that makes sense. If you don't remember Late Night on live TV? What the... I was born in 82 as well, and saw quite a bit of Late Night. It didn't even move until 1993.

I guess what I was trying to say is I have little to no memory of it in the 80's because I was a kid and usually asleep by the time it came on. That's not to say I never saw it, I just have no memory of it. I remember Johnny Carson more because my dad would watch him every night and I was sometimes still awake for that.
I do remember watching Letterman's first CBS show when he went to 11:30, though. I also remember watching Arsenio Hall and Chevy Chase's show. The early 90's are kinda where my memories of these shows start. I started watching Conan regularly in 95 and that was the begining of the Late Night golden years in my opinion.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 21, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Some cable channel that doesn't give a poo poo needs to start running reruns of Dave's show. I mean, yeah, it would be weird to hear Butafucco and Lewinsky jokes in 2020, but it would be weirder if the show just left to the domain of YouTube clips.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm surprised they didn't start tearing it apart during the show.
I expected him to do a little Godzilla act on that prop skyline, to be honest.

pwn posted:

As for how Letterman changed from a.. well, an rear end in a top hat, into a broadcaster, this WSJ article really sums it up nicely.
He also had a child. It seems like around the time Harry was born, Dave wanted to stop being the guy who threw pinball tables off a building and tried to squeeze thirty college mascots into a Starbucks unannounced. It's great stuff to watch, but not great "this is what your Dad did" stuff.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 21, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Toxxupation posted:

oh come on, that monologue was loving terrible, eye-rollingly bad dad jokes

the rest of the show has been better, at least the top ten was star-studded but that opening was loving wretched

the same joke about how letterman is a bad host that everyone "hates" with shaffer's annoying, really unfunny asides like they're worth a poo poo and don't interrupt what little comedic flow was present, thrown to some terrible pre-taped bits

it was a really bad start to a final episode even considering letterman has always been not good at monologues

Do you have to be terrible in every thread on the boards?

I couldn't believe how many of those bits I remembered, even quick little flashes of them in montages. I grew up on the last years of Carson and watched Dave constantly but kind of fell out of it the last 5-10 years. There was so much good stuff over the years it's crazy. I can only hope Conan gets the same kind of send off. Also, Foo Fighters are stand up guys and I can't wait to see them in concert this summer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ChesterJT posted:

Do you have to be terrible in every thread on the boards?

It's p hilarious how once a guy leaves you can't raise criticisms of his work like everything he touched was gold-plated

it was a bad loving monologue and it comes off worse because it's this ten minutes of dead air to kick off what should've been an awesome farewell to a comedic and late night legend and was so stilted, forced and painfully awkward I almost closed the browser out of hand

why even have a monologue? letterman's legendary for being bad at and hating doing them, who cares if the final episode of your show even has one

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Have the last episodes of any of these shows had good monologues?

By definition it's you making jokes and commentary about yourself and your career. It's like that for every show. It's not like Dave is going to take his last show to do jokes about John Boehner and Alex Rodriguez again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It's p hilarious how once a guy leaves you can't raise criticisms of his work like everything he touched was gold-plated

it was a bad loving monologue and it comes off worse because it's this ten minutes of dead air to kick off what should've been an awesome farewell to a comedic and late night legend and was so stilted, forced and painfully awkward I almost closed the browser out of hand

why even have a monologue? letterman's legendary for being bad at and hating doing them, who cares if the final episode of your show even has one

occ go