Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there any reason aside from chivalry to not repeatedly fight the semi-aquatic egg-laying mammals for a fountain of money and XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Secret passages and snooping around for later. Let's check off some more boxes (and stone houses and little bush creepies)!

55->61->52->44->50->39->48

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

inflatablefish posted:

If Cluedo has taught me anything, it's that you always go with the secret passages. Let's try 90, then 92 if we can!

This

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Glazius posted:

Is there any reason aside from chivalry to not repeatedly fight the semi-aquatic egg-laying mammals for a fountain of money and XP?

Yeah - Monsters/encounters beaten don't come back. Even/especially after you die.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, time to see where that secret passage leads!

Section 90 posted:

Thought you would.

The passage twists and turns quite a bit. It's very narrow and low ceilinged, so you spend most of your time bent nearly double with your elbows scraping the walls before you finally come to a dead stop against a blank wall. Surely it can't just end here?

No, of course it can't. You feel around until you find another funny little knob and when you turn that, the whole wall slides back with a grinding of stone on stone. (Isn't this exciting?) You are just about to step through when EJ whispers, 'Don't go in there!'

You hesitate. 'Why not?' you whisper back.

'I've been on more adventures than you,' EJ says pompously. 'There's always something nasty when you come out from secret passages. Always. It's a sort of Law of Nature, like gravity or the way you always have bits over if you take a clock to pieces and put it back together again. Don't go in there or it's Section 14 for sure.'

'But what am I supposed to do then?' you ask.

'Go back to your map and explore some other part of the village. Some safer part,' EJ urges.

So what are you going to do? Back to the village map? If you decide to ignore EJ, step out of the passage into 86.

On one hand, there could be interesting things in there. On the other hand, EJ has explicitely warned us not to go in. On the other other hand, EJ is famously a coward. On the other other other hand, there are things that can easily kill us in this book.

So what do we do?

>Go in
>Don't go in

:ins:

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 40/40
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 5
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), Firefinger Lightning Bolt x5
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
20 Silver Pieces

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the first: got dizzy while climbing down a chasm (worst possible time to discover a fear of heights...)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 12, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Of course go in!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We're going in!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 86 posted:

'No! No!' EJ shrieks in panic as you step forward. 'I have this dreadful premonition. I have a fearsome intuition. I have...'

But his voice trails away in astonishment.

The secret passage has led you into a vast, natural underground cavern, large as a cathedral and cut (to judge from the walls) by human hands right out of the bedrock underneath Stonemarten Village.

The cavern is entirely lit by luminous, glowing crystals embedded in the walls and in the natural stone pillars which support the roof. And beneath this roof, growing out of the stone floor, are crystal flowers and shrubs, mushrooms of every size, shape and colour, all translucent or transparent, all catching the light and glinting so that the whole place looks like Fairyland. Which it might well be, to judge by the little winged creatures which flit around the flowers. You stop, breathless at the sight.

The little winged creatures (could they really be fairies?) ignore you completely. But there is something else in this cavern, something larger and altogether more majestic. It is a tall, slender manlike figure with silver skin and huge golden eyes. Those eyes turn towards you the moment you enter. At your side, you feel EJ begin to quiver.

The creature - perhaps the most beautiful thing you have ever seen - walks towards you, stopping no more than ten metres distant. The golden eyes seem to stare directly into your very soul.

It speaks. 'Mortals who enter here are often obliged to stay forever.'

'I told you!' hisses EJ. 'You've really done it now!'

:ohdear:

Section 86 posted:

But the creature continues speaking, its melodious voice echoing within your mind. 'But I perceive your heart is pure and that your task is urgent. Therefore, you may take that which you seek and leave in peace.' And it turns away.

That which you seek? But you don't know what you want, do you Pip?

'Excuse me -' you call. 'Excuse me, sir?'

The regal creature turns again and waits.

'I'm afraid I don't quite know where I am,' you confess.

'You have reached the entrance to the Kingdom of the Sidhe. I see it is your fate that you may one day adventure here. But for the moment you may pass no further than this cavern.'

Which doesn't make a lot of sense. But you say hurriedly, 'I don't really want anything, you know. I sort of found this passage and was curious.' Then, on an inspiration you add, 'My sword told me to come here.'

The creature smlies. 'Perhaps so. And since you want nothing, it is the custom of my race to give you something. Please hand me your sword.'

'No!' screams EJ, then mercifully faints and falls silent.

Compelled by some unknown force, you hand EJ to the silver figure who strokes the blade briefly once, then hands it back to you. 'When your sword awakens he will be slightly changed. From this moment on, he will score +10 when fighting dragons. Go now.'

And this time, as he turns, the light begins to fade from the crystals. Hurriedly, you make your way back through the secret passage.

Quite something, that, Pip. Take a deep breath to calm yourself and return to your village map. And don't forget EJ now scores +10 damage against dragons.

Well that was nice. But what was that about being our fate to one day adventure there? What did he mean by that? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, where were we? Oh yeah, through the back door at 92.

Section 92 posted:

You step through the doorway into fog. At once you turn, but even your lightning reflexes are not fast enough. There is no sign of the door. You fumble in the fog without avail. You fumble for a very, very long time.

Go to 8.

Well that's not nice. We've already seen 8, it makes us wander through the fog until we reach 42, which is the start of the adventure yet again.

Since we already know where we need to go, let's head to 58.

Section 58 posted:

You seem to be approaching a town, Pip. Well, a village, really. The first thing you see is the steeple of the village church, then later, as you continue trudging wearily along, the thatched roofs of the cottages come into sight.

The only thing is that however far you walk, you don't seem to be coming any nearer. You walk and walk without avail. The village is still there, but still distant. This has definitely the smell of magic, Pip. Better roll your magic dice to find out if there's some way in.

Score 2 - 4 and to to 9.
Score 5 - 8 and go to 13.
Score 9 - 12 and go to 19.

If you'll remember, 13 leads us to the shimmering doorway, which in turn leads to the village. Where will we end up now?

Roll: 6 + 3 = 9.

Section 19 posted:

Someone is walking towards you on the roadway. Someone BIG. He walks funny too, rolling a bit from side to side as if he was having just a little difficulty keeping his balance. He must weigh a ton - the ground is shaking as he approaches. And he's a weird colour: all sort of slate grey.

Don't like the look of this, Pip, not one bit. He's walking straight at you. Good grief, it isn't a man at all. It's ... it's ... it's a statue! A walking statue! A Stone Man! And he's carrying a stone sword!

'Now just a minute -' you call as the Stone Man continues to clump down on you. But it's no good. He begins to swing his sword.

This is a fight, Pip, and no mistake. No avoiding it either, however peace-loving you might be. It's kill or be killed here. But will your weapons be effective against a Stone Man? Only one way to find out.

Do you try to fight him with weapons? If so, go to 15.
Do you decide to use magic? If so, go to 12.
If you decide to use a magical weapon (like EJ), go to 32.

How do we face the stone menace?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 6 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, :siren: +10 damage against dragons :siren:), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), Firefinger Lightning Bolt x5
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
20 Silver Pieces

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the first: got dizzy while climbing down a chasm (worst possible time to discover a fear of heights...)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 13, 2015

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I think a dagger would be highly ineffective against a statue so weaponry is out and knowingly our luck it probably nullifies magic...Let's use the Magic Sword and hope for the best.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Not EJ! Magic is the best

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have a feeling whatever weapon we try is going to shatter, so goodbye dagger.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Let's try magic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
We haven't done much with magic yet this book, so yeah, let's give that a shot. I'm sure it won't kill us hilariously.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Do you believe in magic?

Section 12 posted:

Yip, Pip, magic should work OK, providing you manage it properly. Go to 23.

Good choice! The other two options would have resulted in "nope, doesn't work, you can choose something else but you wasted time so the enemy strikes first" for ordinary weapons and "works alright, but you do -4 damage, go to 23" for magic weapons.

Section 23 posted:

The Stone Man has 28 LIFE POINTS. He's a bit slow on his feet and so needs to roll an 8 or better to hit you with his stone sword. As against that, the sword will cause +4 damage if it gets you. Good luck.

If the Stone Man kills you, go to 14.
If you kill the Stone Man, go to 37.

We have some Lightning Bolts left over from the Castle of Darkness, so let's get some mileage out of those first.

Stone Man's initiative roll: 1 + 6 = 7
Pip's initiative roll: 2 + 4 = 6

I don't think we have won a single initiative roll this whole book. Have we angered the Random Number God somehow?

Stone Man attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, dodged.
Firefinger! Stone Man is zapped for 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.
Stone Man attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, dodged yet again.
Firefinger! Stone Man is zapped for another 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 8.
Stone Man attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, another miss.
Firefinger! Stone Man is thunderstruck, his LIFE POINTS are in the negative, and he crumbles into gravel.

That was easier than expected.

Section 37 posted:

Wow, was that some fight! For a while there it didn't look as though you were going to come
through. Just shows what skill, courage and determination can do. You take a little time to recover, then walk further along your chosen route until you reach 13.

13 is the section with the shimmering doorway which leads to Stonemarten. We can step through to 10 and go directly there, or step around it to 33, making it disappear and ultimately ending up in the village all the same (fake choice!).

So here we are again!

Where shall we explore next?

(So far we've seen Sections 33, 41, 43, 45, 51, 63, 69 and 72).

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 7 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), Firefinger Lightning Bolt :siren: x2 :siren:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
20 Silver Pieces

Roll of the Dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Try 79, 89, 74, 38, and 66 to see if there's anything in those buildings along the wall.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Try 79, 89, 74, 38, and 66 to see if there's anything in those buildings along the wall.

Works for me.

Also, if we end up getting into a reasonably tough fight I'd like to see us trying out a bit of magic, eg a POW or a PANIC.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hmmm.

Query, if you die, are you going to keep upgraded EJ? I mean, it is part of the sword itself now, and we keep the sword, so...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Hmmm.

Query, if you die, are you going to keep upgraded EJ? I mean, it is part of the sword itself now, and we keep the sword, so...

Yes. The only things that disappear after a death are enemies and loot, EJ's upgrade is a boon and we can always get to the Section that grants it. (This wasn't the case, for instance, with the Lady in the Castle of Darkness, where we were explicitly told we wouldn't be able to get back there again, ever.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I thought the rules for Firefinger changed, requiring us to make a to-hit roll even if we brought some from the previous book?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I thought the rules for Firefinger changed, requiring us to make a to-hit roll even if we brought some from the previous book?

Rules say that spells require a roll of 7 or more to work, but I interpreted that to mean that you need to roll a 7 to get Lightning Bolts or Fireballs, but once you do those work the same as they did in the Castle of Darkness. I can see how the rules can be interpreted like you said, though, and honestly I'm not sure who's right.

Section 79 posted:

Go direct to 41.

Another Australian cricketer in fancy dress, another 10 Silver Pieces collected. (There are a few of these scattered around Stonemarten, it's hard to come up with enough things to fill a whole village after all.)

Section 89 posted:

Go direct to 41.

Case in point.

Section 74 posted:

Go directly to 41.

This one's different! It says directly instead of direct.

Section 38 posted:

It looks like a cottage, much like every other cottage. Whitewashed walls. Thatched roof. It's
set against the stockade, of course, but so are several other cottages as, doubtless, you've noticed. Nonetheless you go in, since you've come this far. And since the door is ajar, going in presents no problem.

The cottage is deserted. Clean and tidy enough inside, but with that funny musty smell that lets you know nobody has hved here for years. But somebody did live here once. There are a few pieces of furniture around the place, ornaments on the mantle and pictures (scenic views) on the walls. And there's a back door! If there's a back door, it must mean there's a way out through the stockade!

If you want to go through the back door, turn to 92.
If you'd rather stick around for a while, return to your map of Stonemarten Village and explore somewhere else.

The back door to 92 is exactly like the other back door to 92 we stepped through, which leads us back to the start and, eventually, back to the village. If you really want to we can try it, but honestly I don't see the point.

Section 66 posted:

Go direct to 41.

I'm starting to think these guys have something to do with the villagers' disappearance. We've found what, six of them by now?

Well that was disappointing. We've collected 40 Silver Pieces from Things from Down Under and found a door out, but we already know where it leads.

Where to next?

Sections we've visited: 33, 38, 41, 43, 45, 51, 63, 66, 69, 72, 74, 79 and 89.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 11 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), Firefinger Lightning Bolt :siren: x2 :siren:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 60 :siren: Silver Pieces

Roll of the Dead posted:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

55->61->52->44->50->39->48

Then maybe we can look at the field or something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 55 posted:

'Halt, Varlet! Darest thou disturb my meditations!'

It's not what you might expect to hear on entering a country cottage, but it's what you do hear on entering this one. And the words come from a figure clad head to toe in jet-black armour. Could this be the notorious (and highly dangerous) Black Knight whose name is spoken of in terrified whispers throughout Avalon?

If you have previously travelled through the Wizard Ansalom's Dark Castle, go to 96.

If you want to speak politely to the armoured figure, you may do so, then retreat prudently to your map and explore another part of the village.

If you want to make a name for yourself by challenging the Black Knight to a battle, go to 118.

Is it... Can it be?

Section 96 posted:

No, of course it's not! It's somebody you remember from your adventure in the Wizard Ansalom's Dark Castle. The last time you saw him was at King Arthur's Court in Camelot, dressed in all his finery and insignia of rank. And the time before that he was lost in the woods outside the Dark Castle, bravely determined to do something about the Wizard if he ever found his way out again. A man worthy of respect, Pip, as all true kings are, but one whose bark is definitely worse than his bite.

'King Pellinore?' you ask. 'Is it you, Your Majesty?'

'What?' asks the black-armoured figure. 'What? What? What? By Jove, I know you,. don't I? Young Pip, the fearless adventurer, no less. Am I right? What?'

Hey, it's this guy! Hi!

Section 96 posted:

'Well, I don't know about fearless...' you say modestly.

'Nonsense! They're still talking about your last exploit all over the country. Even the Scots have heard about it and you know how long it takes them to catch on to anything. Shouldn't be surprised if it gets through to Hibemia in a year or two. Well, Pip, what brings you to this godforsaken place?'

'I'm in search of Dragon Cavern,' you tell him. 'I was following a map Merlin drew and it led me here.'

'Wouldn't put too much faith in Merlin's maps,' Pellinore remarks. 'I was following one of his myself when I got lost looking for the Wizard Ansalom.'

'I don't suppose you would know where the Dragon Cavern is, by any chance?' you ask.

' 'Fraid not, young friend. To tell you the truth, I've been having so much difficulty finding a way out of this place that I commandeered a cottage to live in until I worked out the right route. But I did come across one thing that might help you.' And from the sleeve of his armour he withdraws a rolled scroll. 'It's a description of the Cavern itself, about the sort of place it is. Might come in useful to know what you're facing if you do find your way there.' With which he hands you the scroll.

To read what it says go to 101, then to your map of Stonemarten Village in order to continue your exploration.

For those just joining us for this book, we've met this dude before while we were on our way to the Wizard Ansalom's Dark Castle. Back then we just had a quick chat, but this time we get some respect. Nice. Let's see what this scroll says:

Section 101 posted:

Be it known to all adventurers that I, Ethelbert, warrior monk and loyal subject of Arturus Rex, son of Uthur Pendragon and rightful Liege Lord of the Realm of Avalon, do hereby testify in verity and truth that I, the said Ethelbert, have by the grace of God and a strong right arm, reached that place which men call Dragon Cavern and ventured a distance therein. Soon I must venture within this dreadful place again, risking my sanity and my very life, and so I write this scroll lest I perish, that it might be an aid to any who may come after me to this accursed place.

First, the approach is across a volcanic wasteland, cliff-enclosed, so that only two routes are open to the traveller. One leads to the Cavern, the other is certain death. Avoid the more obvious road and you will reach the Cavern.

The Cavern itself is unmistakable by reason of its size and smell, which is the foul smell of brimstone and dragon breath. You may venture in reasonable safety within the first cavem, for the dragons nest far below in the accursed labyrinth and there is little here save the picked bones of those who have perished. From the first cavern you will discover there is a choice of routes. None is safe, for all lead into the maze of corridors and tunnels which have been cut over the aeons through living rock into the very bowels of the earth.

It has been said that strange creatures other than the dragons roost in the labyrinth, and this I have discovered to be true. It may be that some of these races are friendly: I cannot say, for I have met none that were not dangerous indeed. There are things here which men speak of in whispers, things which the wise and learned believe to be a myth. But they are not myths: this I affirm and attest, for I have seen them with my own eyes,
fought them with my sword and monkish spells. To my certain knowledge, there is a race of trolls, a clan of hunchbacked dwarves, a foul creature like unto a man but having the head of a bull, a snake woman, and a wailing spirit which can take the life of an adventurer with a single touch. I pray you meet none of these monsters, for I have met them and it was only God's grace which allowed me to escape with my life. There may be others. I do not know, although I suspect there are. Perhaps I shall discover them when I venture in again.

These creatures share the dragon's lair, avoiding the great firebreathers when they can. The dragons themselves roost in the lower levels, although there is always the danger that one or more may take to the corridors in order to leave the Cavern. It is a small danger, admittedly, for when they wish to feed or mate, they will normally fly upwards, emerging out of a great natural chimney on the clifftop.

But if you avoid the dragons in the corridors, you will not avoid them in the lower levels. They teem there like ants, far more of them than was ever suspected in Avalon. Tread softly and warily, brave adventurer. I may not live to tell my own tale, but I pray you live to tell yours. If you succeed, remember me at matins and at vespers, in token of the aid I have given you in this writing. I append my name.

Ethelbert, Monk and Warrior.

Might be useful to remember this.

Now let's see what the next cottage, 61, has in store for us.

Section 61 posted:

You know something? For the first time in this grotty village, you've actually found somewhere that feels nice. You stand just inside the doorway of the cottage, soaking up that very pleasant feeling.

If you have been running short on LIFE POINTS the cottage has restored you to full strength. How about that! What's more, you can return here after (but not during) any Section to get restored again, provided, of course, you are still in the village. Now go back to your map and explore somewhere else and don't complain nothing nice ever happens to you.

Our own personal healing spot! I'll never complain that nothing nice ever happens to us.

Section 52 posted:

Somebody likes pot plants.

As you enter this cottage, your mind immediately conjures up pictures of a sweet little old lady pottering about in the peace and quiet of her rural home. The place is absolutely chock-a-block with plants. Ferns ... palms ... rubber plants ... bonsai trees ... creepers. Lots of creepers. There are creepers all over the place. The creepers are moving! They are wrapping themselves around you, Pip! Roll two dice to see if you can get your sword arm free.

Score 2-6 and you're firmly held. Unable to fight, you will be slowly strangled and digested by the creepers. Spare yourself unnecessary suffering by going at once to 14.
Score 7-12 and you get your sword out. Once you have a sword, it's no contest. You hack those nasty creepers into tiny little pieces with no damage whatsoever to yourself. That will teach them! Now return to your map and
explore another part of the village.

Roll: 2 + 3 = 5 :ohdear:

:siren: Death the second: slowly strangled and digested by creepers (who grows creepers indoors anyway?) :siren:

For the intent of not bringing the LP to a screeching halt, I'll just re-roll for LIFE POINTS instead of also rolling for money. If you wish to select some different equipment just post and say so, and I'll roll the money dice for you.

2 + 2 = 4, 1 + 4 = 5, 4 + 3 = 7. 28 LIFE POINTS this time.

For now it's back to 58, and I'll roll the dice to see where they take us.

Roll: 2 + 4 = 6, we're back to 13 and from there to 10, Stonemarten Village.

Since the only things that disappear after a death are enemies and loot, not bonuses, I'll pop into the secret passage and collect the upgrade to EJ, and pop into King Pellinore's cottage and collect his scroll. Everything else we've found is lost, however.

So now we're back into the village.

:siren: Shall we keep going checking every section sequentially? :siren:
It had been fine so far, but now we've encountered things that can kill us from a missed roll. If you want to proceed like that it's fine by me, but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

So, where to next?

Sections we've visited: 33, 38, 41, 43, 45, 51, 52, 55, 61, 63, 66, 69, 72, 74, 79 and 89.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 28/28 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 0 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, :siren: dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it) :siren:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: None :siren:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the second: slowly strangled and digested by creepers (who grows creepers indoors anyway?)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
We have nothing to lose at this point, so bring it on :) 44>50>39

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 44 posted:

You enter the cottage and fall down a trap. Sorry to put it so bluntly, Pip, but you need to know right away when you're in trouble. And you may be in a lot of trouble.

First off, there are spikes in the bottom of the pit. Roll two dice to find out if any of them skewered you. Score 2-6 and at least one did. Score 7-12 and they missed you. If you got skewered, roll your dice again to find the damage to your LIFE POINTS. If this kills you, go to 14.

Roll: 5 + 3 = 8, we're safe from the spikes. And a good thing too! Because:

Section 44 posted:

If you got skewered, there's more bad news - the spikes are poisoned. Roll two dice again to
see if you're naturally immune. Score 2-6 and the poison does you no more harm. Score 7-12 and it's lethal: go to 14.

Even if you missed the spikes, there's still the problem of getting out. If you brought climbing equipment like spikes and rope, you can climb out fairly easily. Go to your map and explore another area of the village.
If you don't have the necessary equipment you're stuck there until you starve to death. Go to 14.

So to recap, there are three ways this Section can kill you:

1. Life point depletion if we hit the spikes, are already low on LIFE POINTS, and roll badly;
2. Deadly poison;
3. Starvation if we didn't bring climbing tools.

This book :allears:

Fortunately, we do have climbing tools, so back to the map it is! And on to 50.

Section 50 posted:

Snaarl!

What a nasty noise to hear as you open a cottage door, Pip. It's dark inside, so that for a moment all you can see is the glint of a pair of savage red eyes. Then the Wolf leaps from the cottage at your throat! It is huge - 31 LIFE POINTS - and does +3 damage with its fangs. It also has the first strike, by reason of surprise. Furthermore, its matted hide acts to some extent like armour, subtracting 1 point from any damage scored against it. Get the dice rolling, Pip - this is another fight.

Wolf attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, Wolf misses.
Pip attacks! 1 + 1 = 2 :sweatdrop:
Wolf attacks! 2 + 1 = 3, another miss.
Pip attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, Wolf is hit for 1 + 5 - 1 = 5 LIFE POINTS and is down to 26.
Wolf attacks! 1 + 4 = 5, yet another miss.
Pip attacks! 1 + 3 = 4, Wolf is hit for 0 + 5 - 1 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 22.
Wolf attacks! 2 + 1 = 3, yet ANOTHER miss (what is it with the dice today?)
Pip attacks! 6 + 1 = 7, Wolf is hit for 3 + 5 - 1 = 7 LIFE POINTS and is down to 15.
Wolf attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Pip is hit for 5 + 3 - 6 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 26 (I just had to go and complain about the dice...)
Pip attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Wolf is hit for 4 + 5 - 3 = 6 LIFE POINTS and is down to 9.
Wolf attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Wolf is hit for 7 + 5 - 1 = 11 LIFE POINTS and falls down dead.

Section 50 posted:

If the Wolf kills you, go to 14.
If you kill the Wolf, you'll find a casket with 100 Gold Pieces inside the cottage. Take it, go back to your map and explore another section of the village.

:signings:

That's quite the neat amount of money! Let's hope we don't get killed now. Onwards to 39!

Section 39 posted:

As you approach this cottage you notice by the front door one of those ghastly plastic garden gnomes that are going to become extremely popular in a few centuries' time. Wait a minute ! A plastic gnome in the days of King Arthur? Something badly wrong here, Pip.

'Hello, human person,' the Gnome says as you stand staring at him in amazement.

'You're real?' you ask, stupidly.

'I think so,' says the Gnome. 'What can I do for you?'

Which is a very good question since all you'd really planned to do was nose around in his cottage and you can't very well tell him that. Eventually you say, 'I wonder, Gnoble Gnome, if by chance you know the best way to the Dragon's Cavem? Or indeed, any way out of this village might do.'

He gnods his gnomish head seriously. 'Of all the questions you might have asked, I have answers of a sort for those two. Have you money to pay for them?'

'Pay for what?' you ask.

'The answers!' roars the Gnome peevishly. 'You don't think I'd part with valuable information for free, do you?'

'Of course not,' you lie through your teeth. 'How much do the answers cost?'

'That depends,' says the Gnome, a little more calmly now. 'I'm by way of being a sporting gnome, you see, so I'm quite prepared to let chance decide the price.'

With which he produces two dice from his pocket, very similar indeed to the dice you yourself are using. 'Would you care to examine these?' he asks. To ensure they are not loaded or interfered with in any way?'

You do so. This may be the Age of Chivalry, but chivalry doesn't extend to letting yourself get ripped off by a gnome. The dice, however, are perfectly normal.

'Now,' says the Gnome, 'you wish to know the way to Dragon Cavern. We'll make that Question 1. And you wish to know a way out of the village. We'll make that Question 2. Now we'll roll these perfectly normal dice and find out, in Gold Pieces, what each question is worth. For every point shown by the dice, the value will be 10 Gold
Pieces. So you may get your question answered for as little as 20, or you may have to pay as much as 120.'

Write the dice score, multiplied by ten, in the spaces below:
Question 1:
Question 2:

Alright.
Question 1: 3 + 6 = 9, 90 Gold Pieces.
Question 2: 1 + 2 = 3, 30 Gold Pieces.

Section 39 posted:

Can you afford to pay to have your questions answered? Check your available money and valuables.

If you don't want to pay, whether you can afford to or not, return to your map and explore somewhere else - the Gnome won't mind (and you can always come back to the Section later, if you wish and have the money).

If you pay for an answer to Question 1, go to 93.

If you pay for an answer to Question 2, go to 113.

If you pay for both answers, pick either 93 or 113.

Right now we have 100 Gold Pieces, courtesy of the Wolf's treasure, so we can afford the answer to either question, but not both.

It's up to you: do we pay for an answer? If so, which answer do we pay for?

Also an additional question: after we're done with the gnome, where shall we head to?

Sections we've visited: 33, 38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 55, 61, 63, 66, 69, 72, 74, 79 and 89.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 26/28 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 1 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, :siren: dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it) :siren:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 100 Gold Pieces :siren:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the second: slowly strangled and digested by creepers (who grows creepers indoors anyway?)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well, we already know a couple of ways out of the village, so we don't want to pay extra for being told about those back doors we've found. But let's pay for a snippet of info about the Dragon Cavern.

After that, let's go to whichever house was the free insta-heal.

Looking at the map, it looks like 40 and 48 are the only cottages we haven't seen yet, so let's try those.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

inflatablefish posted:

Looking at the map, it looks like 40 and 48 are the only cottages we haven't seen yet, so let's try those.

This, then the left side - Garden, Stables, Church and then the well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, let's count out 90 Gold Pieces and hand them to the Gnome!

Section 93 posted:

This may well be a Gnome of Zurich, Pip - you wouldn't believe the way he counted and recounted your money before stashing it carefully away in a leather pouch with a lock on it. Imagine! A locked pouch!

But he seems determined to give good value for money, which is something. He tells you that it is indeed possible to find your way to the Dragon's Cavern from within Stonemarten Village; and also mentions that it isn't even very far. All you need do is go to the ruined tower at 30 and there search carefully for a trap door in the floor which leads into a tunnel, leading, in turn, to the path which will bring you to Dragon Cavern. Excited as you are, you make to zip off instantly to the mined tower. But the Gnome stops you with a gesture.

'One word of advice,' he says, 'and free of charge at that. It might be safest if you did not go to the Dragon Cavern before searching Stonemarten Village thoroughly. This is a dangerous place, as I know only too well, but it does have hidden somewhere one or two items which may mean the difference between life and death when you enter the Cavern. Your life and death, that is.'

'But what are these items and where shall I find them?' you cry.

The Gnome shakes his gnomish head. 'King Arthur himself would not have enough gold in the Royal Treasury to pay for that information.' And he nods politely and disappears into his cottage, closing the door behind him.

When you try to follow (as you most certainly do), you find the door, which looks like wood, is in fact some hardened form of metal, while the windows are of some magically toughened glass which is quite unbreakable. The cottage is as secure as a bank vault. Nothing else for it, since the Gnome refuses to come out, but to return to your map of Stonemarten Village, and make your decision on whether to explore further or to go directly to the ruined tower. . .

There you have it. :siren: The exit to Stonemarten Village is at Section 30 :siren:

Now let's pop into the healing cottage, and when we're well rested answer this question: shall we go directly for the exit, or search Stonemarten carefully as the Gnome suggested?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 28/28 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 1
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it)
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
10 Gold Pieces

Roll of the Dead posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
We should search the village entirely, and not pick up anything until we're ready to head to 30. It would suck to get vital stuff and lose it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Search the village and take everything. We need the XP.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ok. First, as you said, we'll finish with the cottages, at 40 and 48. Then we'll see where to go from there.

Section 40 posted:

Now that's better! A table laden with jam tarts, trifle, apple pies, cakes, buns, bombes, tortes and goodies of every description. There's even a pitcher of home-made lemonade. And not a soul in sight! Tuck in, Pip. You need to fortify yourself when you can in a place like this!

Then go to 100.

Sure, let's eat food randomly found lying around in a deserted village! What's the worst that can happen?

Section 100 posted:

You've got a bit of a tummy ache, Pip. And it's getting worse. Maybe you shouldn't have scoffed so many of those jam tarts. Or those cakes. Or maybe. . .maybe the food is poisoned!

Yeech! It is poisoned! You can feel the poison creeping through you, invading every cell and fibre of your body. This is no fun. Grab your dice and find out if it is going to send you back to the dreaded 14.

Score 2-6 and go to 97.
Score 7-12 and go to 109.

Roll: 6 + 4 = 10.

Section 109 posted:

Writhe in agony, Pip - you're definitely poisoned.

Go to 14.

:sigh:

:siren: Death the third: ate from a poisoned banquet :siren:

Two things to note!

First, we could have prevented this by casting P.I.P., which according to the rules would have neutralised the poison. Actual effect, as I interpreted the rules, was that we would have checked out both 97 and 109, and chosen the Section with the "the poison doesn't work on you" effect.

Second, this Section is one of several gently caress yous to people who brought the Luckstone over from the Castle of Darkness, since usually the lower the dice throw, the worse the result, so it is encouraged to use the Luckstone to add three to dice rolls. This time, instead, it's the higher dice roll that gives a dedly result. (There are other Sections like this.)

Anyway! Life point roll once again.

4 + 5 = 9, 6 + 3 = 9, 3 + 5 = 8. 36 LIFE POINTS.

Let's backtrack to the village, and check out that last cottage at section 48.

Section 48 posted:

You enter the cottage and the entire place caves in on top of you. It's no fun being an adventurer sometimes, Pip.

Go to 14.

:siren: Death the fourth: buried under a collapsed cottage :siren:

Ladies and gentlemen: our first "no saving throw, you are dead!" Section. It won't be the last.

Once again, life point roll: 4 + 6 = 10, 3 + 2 = 5, 5 + 5 = 10, 40 LIFE POINTS.

And let's backtrack to the village again.

Where to next?

Sections we've visited: 33, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 48, 50, 51, 52, 55, 61, 63, 66, 69, 72, 74, 79 and 89.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 40/40 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 0 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it)
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: None :siren:

Roll of the Dead posted:

:siren: Death the third: ate from a poisoned banquet :siren:
:siren: Death the fourth: buried under a collapsed cottage :siren:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

20 24 28 34 47 54 57 60

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
jesus christ what is with all these bullshit save or die rooms. Or you know, the just die room.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
We're never going to actually accumulate any experience or treasure, are we?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think that is the hidden secret of these books. They're teaching you about the transitory nature of material possessions.

QuintusCunctator
Apr 26, 2015
Ah, Grailsquest! One of my favorite series of gamebooks, mainly due to its witty, charming writing. I've read the books so much I almost know them by heart now, so I think I will not participate in the decisions; however, if Mikl likes I might butt in every now and then to provide some bits of trivia about the game mechanics, and in particular the probability of success or failure of some actions in the game (I've coded small simulation programs to calculate them for my own amusement).

About Firefingers and Fireballs in the second book, I agree with Mikl: both "Firefinger" and "Fireball" are categorized as spells which can be cast only once per book, so I assume once you cast them successfully they provide 10 bolts and 2 fireballs working as in the first book.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

QuintusCunctator posted:

Ah, Grailsquest! One of my favorite series of gamebooks, mainly due to its witty, charming writing. I've read the books so much I almost know them by heart now, so I think I will not participate in the decisions; however, if Mikl likes I might butt in every now and then to provide some bits of trivia about the game mechanics, and in particular the probability of success or failure of some actions in the game (I've coded small simulation programs to calculate them for my own amusement).

About Firefingers and Fireballs in the second book, I agree with Mikl: both "Firefinger" and "Fireball" are categorized as spells which can be cast only once per book, so I assume once you cast them successfully they provide 10 bolts and 2 fireballs working as in the first book.

I don't mind at all! :)

Anyway, a bit of warning: the next update is shaping up to be a big one and I'll be away for work for three days with dubious internet access, so I'm going to call it right now and say that the next update will come sometime on Thursday. See you all then!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh good lord. We've got nothing to go on picking these answers and some of them are instant death?

Well, at least if the dragons eat Pips we'll be able to fish out a ready supply. Some of them poisoned!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Welcome back! We've got a lot of ground yet to cover in this village, so let's take a look at the map.

To hopefully end what's in Stonemarten within a few updates, here's what I'll do: I'll make a clockwise grand tour of the Sections we haven't visited yet, starting with the field at 28, moving through 20, 24, 57, 47, 34, and ending with the well at 60, skipping the ruined tower at 30 which we were told is the way out. I'll do anything there's to do in those Sections, but I won't make any decisions (if there are decisions to make, that is), leaving those to you after this update.

Are you ready? Let's go!

Section 28 posted:

Stone leeks and lettuces, stone cabbages, stone peas, stone carrots, stone spinach, even stone potatoes. And over there you can clearly see stone flowers - roses, hyacinths, rhododendrons, lily of the valley, bachelor's buttons, buttercups and daisies. There must be an awful lot of lime in the soil here.

Those monster statues don't look too pleasant, Pip. Huge great fanged things with hairy chests and claws. Very nasty. And very lifelike. You would almost expect one of them to move at any second. In fact, that one over there actually seemed to move. A trick of the light, no doubt.

The ground isn't stone. It's ordinary soil, just like a normal garden. Except it's growing stone plants. What a weird place. Why should anybody want to grow stone plants, then set the whole garden through with lifelike statues of monsters? Are you sure that one didn't really move? No, of course it didn't.

You tug experimentally on a stone cauliflower and up it comes, roots and all. Stone roots, of course. What a very weird place. Have you noticed how cold it's become?

That monster DID move! It's turning towards you, all hairy chest and fangs !

Like a stroke of hghtning you go for your sword, except your arm won't move! Run, Pip! Run! Your legs won't move either! You feel so cold. So very, very cold. The monster is walking towards you on great flat stone feet. You can't move a muscle and you're cold! Desperately you try to chant a spell, but even your lips and tongue won't move.

You're turning to stone, Pip! That's what it is. That's definitely what it is! The monster is only a few metres away now. It opens its great fanged mouth.

At least you can still roll dice, Pip. Roll two now to find out if you can get out of this mess.

Score 2-6 and go to 67.
Score 7-10 and go to 70.
Score 11 or 12 and go to 75.

Not gonna lie, this section scared the poo poo out of me when I was a little kid. Let's see what the dice have in store for us!

Roll: 3 + 2 = 5.

Section 67 posted:

'Welcome home,' says the monster, obviously having noticed you are gradually turning to stone. 'We've saved a very nice spot for you when you petrify completely. Over there to the south, where it's warm.'

You're not going to take that, are you, Pip? With a super-colossal effort of will you draw your sword and take a swipe. Somehow you're going to fight your way out, even if you die in the attempt.

The Stone Monster hasn't all that many LIFE POINTS since it's half dead already - just 18 to be exact. And it needs to score 7 or better to get a hit on you. What's more, your massive effort has given you the first strike. As against that, you're more or less half dead too, so you're fighting at a real disadvantage. You will need to score 8 or better to hit during this combat, and the fact that the monster is stone will deduct 1 from every damage score you make. Ah well, you might be lucky.

If the monster kills you, go to 14.

If you manage to kill the monster, you may stagger back out of the stone garden, at which time your creeping paralysis will leave you. Go back to your map and explore a safer part of the village.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Time to use our magic!

Pip casts P.O.W.! 2 + 6 = 8, Pip loses 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 37 but his next strike will do +10 damage!
Stone Monster attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Pip is hit for 0 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Stone Monster is hit for 0 + 5 + 10 - 1 = 14 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4 and falls unconcious.

:fuckoff:

What if we had rolled differently on the dice back at section 28? Section 70 (roll 7-10) means we'd be able to stagger back out of the stone garden, making the turn-to-stone spell lose its effect, while Section 75 (roll 11 or 12) sees us completely turned to stone and sent packing to 14.

Onwards, let's visit the building at 20.

Section 20 posted:

Phew, what a pong! These are stables by the smell of them, although it looks as though they haven't been used in years. The stalls are broken down and the hay rotting. Pieces of leather harness hang from nails in the walls, looking as if they'd fall apart if you tried to put them on a horse. Fortunately you don't have to, as there are no horses here.

If you want to spend a little time searching, go to 71.

If not, return to your map and decide where to explore next.

First decision you have to make! Do we search the stables by going to 71? Keep in mind that it might cause us to die painfully (and also hilariously, but mostly painfully).

Let's move on, time to visit the church at 24.

For this next Section, I'll provide a soundtrack! There'll be a link embedded in the text partway through the Section, open that in another tab and listen along while you read for full effect.

Section 24 posted:

This is like no church you've ever been in, Pip. At least it is, but it isn't. There's an aisle and pews and an altar and an organ and a pulpit and a lectern and all the rest, right down to the stained-glass windows. But the whole kit and caboodle is covered thick with dust and cobwebs. They're everywhere. They brush against your face as you move, and the dust rises in little clouds from under your feet.

This does not look like a very religious community, Pip. You step forward and . . .

Da-da-da-boom!

That's an organ! The church organ has started to play! You start, and swing round at the sound. Your eyes sweep upwards towards the organ loft, but the cobwebs obscure your view.

'Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!'

Maniac laughter! It echoes throughout the entire building as the organ music stops abruptly. You drop your hand involuntarily to your sword hilt, which is just as well, because swinging from a rope high above you is a cloaked and masked figure carrying a glittering blade.

'Beware!' it screams as it lands only a few metres in front of you. 'Beware the Phantom of the Village Church!' With which it lunges at you viciously with its sword.

This is definitely a fight, Pip, whatever you may think. The Phantom has 30 LIFE POINTS but wears no armour, so you score full damage each time you hit. As against that, it's good with the sword, so it only needs to roll a 5 or better to hit you. Its sword does + 3 damage.

If the Phantom kills you, go to 14.
If you kill the Phantom, go to 87.

This loving book :allears:

Pip's initiative roll: 1 + 5 = 6
The Phantom's initiative roll: 1 + 2 = 3

Pip attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, the Phantom is hit for 2 + 5 = 7 LIFE POINTS and is down to 23.
The Phantom attacks! 6 + 6 = 12 :stonk: Pip is hit for 7 + 3 - 6 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 33.
Pip attacks! 5 + 4 = 9, the Phantom is hit for 5 + 5 = 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 13.
The Phantom attacks! 2 + 6 = 8, Pip is hit for 3 + 3 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 4 + 1 = 5, the Phantom is hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS and is down to 7.
The Phantom attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 6 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 32.
Pip attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, the Phantom is hit for 3 + 5 = 8 LIFE POINT and falls down dead.

Section 87 posted:

That is certainly one dead Phantom! By the time this adventure is over, everybody will be calling you Pip the Phantomslayer. If they aren't calling you Pip the Dragonslayer, of course. They might even be shaking their heads and saying, 'Poor old Pip. Did rather well, but the monsters got the best of it eventually.'

But enough of this. There's a church to search. And search it you do, but there's not a penny or a sovereign or a sixpence to be found anywhere, not even in the collection box. There is, however, a ring on the finger of the Phantom, which you carefully remove and put on your finger. It tingles as you do so. A tinglering? A magic ring?

You have no way of telling. Just be glad you got it and hope it may come in useful later. (It had better: you can't get it off your finger now.)

Press on, Pip! Press on! Return to your map and explore some other part of the village.

Loot obtained: one tinglering. (A zombie back in the Castle of Darkness had one like this too. Are they related? :iiam:)

Moving on, time for 57!

Section 57 posted:

Close up, this doesn't look nearly so impressive as it does at a distance. In fact, it doesn't look impressive at all. It looks decidedly seedy, if not exactly tumbledown. The sort of place that might have been a beautiful Abbey once, but has certainly seen better days. Past its prime, as you might remark. Over the hill. But still used, by the looks of this.

Approaching' you, faces lost in the voluminous hoods of their voluminous robes are six - count them - black-clad Monks. The one in front carries an embroidered banner on a long pole. Your eyes move upwards to the banner. On it is a golden death's head. The one next to him carries a censor in which he appears to be burning old socks, to judge from the stench that is emerging from it. They turn towards you: They are chanting. What they are chanting is: 'Come with us, little adventurer, and stay with us forever.'

If you want to stay with them forever, go to 110.
If you run really fast now, you can go back to your map and explore some other part of the village. (The Monks will not follow outside their Abbey.)
If you fancy your chances in a scrap, the good news is that the first two Monks will not take part whatever happens. The other four are Martial Monks each with 25 LIFE POINTS. They strike with bare hands for additional damage of +3. They move so fast all four will have a strike against you before you can do anything in return. And they hit on 4 or better. But it's your choice, Pip. If you fight and they kill you, go to 14. If you fight and win, go to 94.

Second decision point! Do we stay with the monks forever, or do we fight them? )We can also do nothing and leave them alone.)

Next stop, 47!

Section 47 posted:

Count Dracula used to say that when you'd seen one crypt you'd seen them all. But whatever about that, this really does seem to be a rather special sort of crypt. For a start it's all done up in pink
marble. And then again there's a brass plaque on the heavy wooden doorway which bears the words:

Oh footsore and weary traveller
With dust on your feet and quite possibly
Nits in your hair:
Enter here and rest awhile
And with fine poetry you I will beguile
So push the door, my traveller fair
And partake of my hospitably.

Hospitably? Maybe he meant 'hospitality' but couldn't get that to rhyme with 'possibly'. Not that 'hospitably' rhymes very well with 'possibly', either.

Oh dear, this guy again.

Section 47 posted:

Only one creature in the universe could write rhymes as badly as that. His fame is so widespread almost everybody in Avalon has heard of him at some time or another. Could it be . . . ? Yes, it is! Below the plaque is an iron plate bearing the words:

THE CRYPT OF THE FIEND
(Please Knock)

Don't waste another moment, Pip! This will certainly be dangerous, but it should be well worthwhile. Coin! Coin!

If you decide to enter the Crypt of the Fiend, go to 107.
If not, return to your map and explore some other part of the village.

Third decision point! Do we knock on the Poetic Fiend's door? You know you want to.

Is there something in the crypt's courtyard at 34?

Section 34 posted:

Why would anybody in their right mind want to explore this place? It's a graveyard, Pip. You knew it was a graveyard - you could see that quite plainly before you decided to come here! What on earth do you expect to find in a graveyard?

Well, what you have found is graves. And tombstones. And ... Oh dear, it looks as if you've done it again, Pip: that grave over there is open! As you watch, a hand reaches up out of it and scrabbles at loose earth by the graveside!

Rush to 91 before the Thing gets you!

There is! What does 91 hold in store for us?

Section 91 posted:

What ghastly corpse will emerge from the open grave? What mouldering monster? What vicious vampire? What ghostly ghoul?

'Avast there. Made -give us a hand, then!'

It's either a very fresh corpse or the Gravedigger. You decide it must be the Gravedigger, and since he's the only relatively normal soul you've seen in Stonemarten Village (apart from the fact he's crawling out of a grave, that is) you decide to give liim a hand. And up he comes, a portly, bearded man with a distinctly florid face and nautical air about him, not to mention the scent of rum on his breath, which might explain how he came to fall
into the open grave.

'Thank 'e kindly, me brave young gallant. A man in my condition doesn't find it all that easy to climb out of a grave. Cedric's the name. Long John Cedric they call me, on account of my seafaring background. At your service. Former Captain. Former pirate. Presently in retirement as a gravedigger.'

'I'm Pip,' you say, wondering if he's mad.

'Heered tell once of a Pip that put paid to the Wizard Ansalom. Hardly likely to be you, would it - ?' And before you have a chance to answer, he goes on: 'No, I thought not. Never mind, if you've stumbled into Stonemarten Village you'll be wondering what's the matter with the place. I'll tell you, since you were decent enough to help me out of the grave. It's cursed, that's what. The whole place, except for me. Couple of cottages turned to solid stone. The local banker was turned into a gnome. The Vicar is a Phantom now. All the horses ran away. Most of the ordinary folks got turned into stone monsters - petrified, you might say: And a very strange class of person started to move in. I'd have been in trouble meself if the rum hadn't protected me. Very hard to curse a man with rum in him. At least that's my theory.' His eyes are glazed, as if the mention of rum had sent the liquor recirculating through his system.

'Who cursed the village?' you ask excitedly.

But he is already collapsing with the drink. As he sinks to the ground and slowly rolls back into the open grave, you catch one muttered word: 'Dragons...'

'Dragons?' you shout. 'What about dragons?'

But your only reply is a snore from the open grave. Better return to your map and explore some more of the village: you won't get anything else here.

Mystery solved: what happened to the village? It was cursed, of course!
New mystery: who cursed the village? What do dragons have to do with it?

Let's see if the well at 60 can answer that.

Section 60 posted:

Haven't you anything better to do with yourself than waste time staring down a well, Pip? Especially a well with a Water Weird in it? That's right - a Water Weird!

This creature has only 10 LIFE POINTS, but if you think that's good news, think again - it can only be harmed by magic. You're going to have to use a P.A.D. or P.O. W. spell (if you have any left).

If either spell is successful, the creature dies and you can return to your map and continue exploring the village.
If the spell fails or you don't have any spells left, the creature will soak up your LIFE POINTS
like a sponge. Go to 14.

We already used a P.O.W. against the Stone Monster, so let's go for a P.A.D. now.

Pip casts P.A.D.! 4 + 4 = 8
It's super effective! Enemy Water Weird has fainted! :woop:

Phew, that was a long tour, but we're almost finished with Stonemarten now. Almost. There are still some things we can do. To remind you:

- Do we search the stables?
- What do we do with the monks? Join them, fight them, or leave them alone?
- Shall we enter the Crypt of the Fiend?

Of course, if you're tired of this dump, we can head to the ruined tower and move on. Your call.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 32/40 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 3 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), leather armour (-2 damage), dagger (+2 damage), food pack, backpack, waterbag, rope (15 metres), torch x12, healing potion x24 (heals two dice rolls), sack x6, climbing spike x12, roll of bandages (15 metres), tinderbox, container of oil, fish hook x12, carpentry hammer, blanket, horn, dragon cavern scroll (head to Section 101 to read it), :siren: the Phantom's tingling ring (tinglering?) :siren:
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: POW x1, PAD x1), The Wizard Ansalom's Globule Wand (roll 6 or higher on two dice, holds enemy for four rounds, five charges), Firefinger Lightning Bolt x5
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
None

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the third: ate from a poisoned banquet
Death the fourth: buried under a collapsed cottage

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Mikl posted:

- Do we search the stables?
- What do we do with the monks? Join them, fight them, or leave them alone?
- Shall we enter the Crypt of the Fiend?

Yes
Fight them
Yes

But first visit that cottage that restores all your Life Points. (EDIT: And visit it again between each action if we lose any Life Points along the way)

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Yes.
Yes, Fight!
Yes.

Also get life points every time we need them.

• Locked thread