Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Partial Octopus posted:

The silver miata is a Miata LS. Does that just mean it has LSD?

It could also, possibly, have the uprated shocks. No guarantees, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I've been trying to refrain from posting, but I'd be willing to part with my NC for ~$11K with a brand new black canvas robbins top. 2008 NC grand touring, 64,500 miles black on black with black and tan interior.

It's a texas :haw: car so...rust? dafuq is that?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Taco Box posted:

I've been trying to refrain from posting, but I'd be willing to part with my NC for ~$11K with a brand new black canvas robbins top. 2008 NC grand touring, 64,500 miles black on black with black and tan interior.

It's a texas :haw: car so...rust? dafuq is that?

I'd probably take you up on that if you didn't live 1500 miles away.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

road trip baby, perfect time of year

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
What plug/gaps are you all running? I swapped in new BKR6E-11s on my JRSC'd '94, gapped at .035, and it's missing pretty bad. Going to try knocking that down to .030, but that seems awfully small?

Also need to check that the EGR isn't clogged and that the wires (new NGKs) are actually seated.

Ordered a Fab9 COP conversion, but that'll be a couple weeks before it comes in, and I want to get it running better in the mean time.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Partial Octopus posted:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 20, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

That is very nice. I'll PM you about it tomorrow. Maybe we can work something out.

Also, what on earth were towing with a Miata?

Browsing CL today I stumbled upon this: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5030200917.html

A Miata with Harely Davidson mud flaps and an HD vanity front plate. :psyduck:

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 20, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just noticed that you don't have PMs. Do you have an e-mail or steam account or someway I can msg you?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 20, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Partial Octopus posted:

That is very nice. I'll PM you about it tomorrow. Maybe we can work something out.

Also, what on earth were towing with a Miata?

Browsing CL today I stumbled upon this: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5030200917.html

A Miata with Harely Davidson mud flaps and an HD vanity front plate. :psyduck:

That little hitch is for bike racks. Never towed anything with this car.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 20, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5031830604.html Yes or no? I'd like to talk him down on the hard top. Aside from some small peeling and a beat up seat it looks pretty nice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If you're ok with the color...

It's priced high for the miles but I think 01-02 are the best years looks and engine wise. If he included the hard top for that price, then maybe.

Check miata.net to see if it has an LSD. Usually leather means LSD (never trust PO) but there are other cases as well and I'm not well enough versed in NBs.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Larrymer posted:

If you're ok with the color...

It's priced high for the miles but I think 01-02 are the best years looks and engine wise. If he included the hard top for that price, then maybe.

Check miata.net to see if it has an LSD. Usually leather means LSD (never trust PO) but there are other cases as well and I'm not well enough versed in NBs.

I kind of actually like the color.

I'm meeting up to see the silver 2002 ls that was posted a bit ago. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5020251623.html Only thing that worries me is that the ad says it's been stored and rarely driven. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Also what's a good starting price that I should ask for?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm meeting up to see the silver 2002 ls that was posted a bit ago. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5020251623.html Only thing that worries me is that the ad says it's been stored and rarely driven. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Also what's a good starting price that I should ask for?

If you're set on that car (much nicer than the teal one, IMO) then offer $5500 and take whatever he counters with. It's low enough to not be insulting hopefully but gives you both wiggle room. I wouldn't worry too much about the storage thing. Miatas are summer only cars for some people and it's been fine the past 13 years being stored.

Main things I'd check besides the normal used car inspection:
-dry rot on tires
-rocker rust
-underbody rust
-rust near the front fender at the back (leaves and poo poo get trapped in this area on NAs at least)
-heater core hoses and oil leaks above them (CAS O-ring)
-other oil leaks
-browning of the radiator (going to fail soon)

When you drive it, check the clutch for slipping (put it in 5th at 1000rpm or so and floor it, see if RPM shoots up instead of bogging and accelerating very slowly) and make sure it shifts smooth, no funny noises, and take it to a gravel parking lot and see if you can confirm it has a working LSD. :getin:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I just took the silver NB out for a spin. The interior was immaculate and the exterior looked great too. Engine looked clean. His cooling liquid was almost completely empty. There was a bit at the bottom. Should I be worried about this? I brought it up to him and he was unaware of this but insisted that there wasn't a leak. Also it was much to sunny out to really get a good look at the undercarriage. From what I saw it looked slightly dirty but I couldn't tell if it was dirt or possibly some light rust. I think I'll ask him to take a photo of it with the flash on. Aside from that everything seemed great. It has brand new tires too. I also go the carfax report from him.

Should I ask him to bring it to a mechanic for me or is that asking too much for this cheap of a car?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can get the cooling system pressure tested and you can also get the coolant sniffer tested for exhaust gases. Anyone that lists a car on craigslist is asking to be bothered by the insane.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got the photos that I asked for. Looks clean with some very minor surface rust in some spots. He also filled up the coolant and said he'd keep an eye on it for leaks. So if it's all good tomorrow I'll probably make the purchase.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Here are the undercarriage pics.

http://imgur.com/Pyt77Vj
http://imgur.com/Y7waHKJ
http://imgur.com/LEnixCm
http://imgur.com/w58NS0L
http://imgur.com/7cMzah6

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's about as clean as you could hope for. The low coolant thing is a little sketchy sounding, but hopefully it's just low and needs topped up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Larrymer posted:

That's about as clean as you could hope for. The low coolant thing is a little sketchy sounding, but hopefully it's just low and needs topped up.

If the dealership changed the coolant, they may not have topped it off after fully burping the system and running it some. I wouldn't worry about it unless it seems to be leaking coolant, and it should be pretty easy to look for green drips.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

He just got back to me and let me know that there are no coolant leaks. I imagine something like you described must have been the reason why it was low. I also noticed that the car has had 5 different owners. The car seems fine but I've always been warned that multiple owners is a bad thing. Maybe it's just common with sports cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The overfill will be empty-ish when it's hot and full when the engine is cold. Thermodynamics! :science:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

He just got back to me and let me know that there are no coolant leaks. I imagine something like you described must have been the reason why it was low. I also noticed that the car has had 5 different owners. The car seems fine but I've always been warned that multiple owners is a bad thing. Maybe it's just common with sports cars.

It's a super impractical often secondary car. Miatas seem to change hands more often due to this

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

From my local car group. Central VA. Almost makes me wish I wasn't dumping a new-er motor into my NA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you aren't putting a VVT motor into your NA, you're wasting your time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can I put a new stereo in my NC without losing any non radio functions like in my MS6?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Rhyno posted:

Can I put a new stereo in my NC without losing any non radio functions like in my MS6?

What non radio functions? But I believe the answer is yes. (I've replaced mine)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poxin posted:

What non radio functions? But I believe the answer is yes. (I've replaced mine)

Well with the MS6 if you replace the BOSE poo poo you lose all your steering wheel controls and the adapter is stupid expensive. Now the NC only has radio controls on the wheel but I use those primarily right now. I installed a line in to the head unit but the sound quality is kind of crappy. I'm hoping to give the car some minor overhauls over this winter and since I'll have the interior out I want to upgrade the speakers and stereo. Might even toss in some sound deadener.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure there are some after market head units that work with stock steering wheel controls, might wanna look into it. Otherwise, it's not a big deal and completely worth upgrading even if it's not possible because the stock systems sucks rear end.

Sound deadening and sealing up the doors makes a HUGE difference as well as adding a decent set of speakers, make sure you get a pair with a high RMS with a good amp and you probably won't even feel the need for a sub.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I believe anytime you replace the stock unit you would need a steering wheel control adapter as well. Unless there are headunits that have that built in?

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432221397&sr=8-1&keywords=aswc-1 and haven't had an issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Pretty sure there are some after market head units that work with stock steering wheel controls, might wanna look into it. Otherwise, it's not a big deal and completely worth upgrading even if it's not possible because the stock systems sucks rear end.

Sound deadening and sealing up the doors makes a HUGE difference as well as adding a decent set of speakers, make sure you get a pair with a high RMS with a good amp and you probably won't even feel the need for a sub.

I seem to recall you posting about your own stereo upgrade, it was in the back of my head when I was thinking about it. I made another large lump payment on it yesterday and my goal is to knock it down again one more time this fall. Gonna need new tires next summer so I want to get as many things sorted on the car as I can over the winter. Maybe suspension as well, haven't really looked into much beyond springs.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Managed to talk to the guy down to 6200 on that silver miata. Making the transaction Saturday :toot:

Thanks again to everyone in the thread for helping me out.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 21, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I seem to recall you posting about your own stereo upgrade, it was in the back of my head when I was thinking about it. I made another large lump payment on it yesterday and my goal is to knock it down again one more time this fall. Gonna need new tires next summer so I want to get as many things sorted on the car as I can over the winter. Maybe suspension as well, haven't really looked into much beyond springs.

Look it up on crutchfield, it'll tell you what you need for the steering wheel controls. Then buy it off amazon or wherever is cheaper.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Factory steering wheel controls are a piece of pie to integrate into a head unit nowadays. I haven't done it on a Mazda, but I've done it on a few Toyotas. The best part is you can usually dictate what each button does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neat! Now the struggle is to find a HU I don't hate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

What do you mean by sealing up the doors? Putting covers on the back of the speaker cones?

My interior isn't too rattly but the speakers themselves sure are.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats the best way to go about getting a hard top? I searched ebay and found nothing. Do third party tops exist?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What do you mean by sealing up the doors? Putting covers on the back of the speaker cones?

My interior isn't too rattly but the speakers themselves sure are.

Basically this:

http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

Works like a charm.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats the best way to go about getting a hard top? I searched ebay and found nothing. Do third party tops exist?

Buy my silver NB w/hard top in a month when I sell it, then sell the car for nearly the same price. :)

Keep checking CL.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

The Treasure Coast hard top is mostly a piece of poo poo.

Browse CL everyday and have 1200$ in cash ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phone posted:

The Treasure Coast hard top is mostly a piece of poo poo.

Browse CL everyday and have 1200$ in cash ready to go.

Set a CL alert and have the money in hand!