Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Craptacular! posted:

Have the last episodes of any of these shows had good monologues?

By definition it's you making jokes and commentary about yourself and your career. It's like that for every show. It's not like Dave is going to take his last show to do jokes about John Boehner and Alex Rodriguez again.

colbert had a p awesome final episode opening, if you consider the first act of the final colbert report a "monologue", so it can be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Stephen Colbert" was a popular TV character that was owned by Comedy Central and you can't judge "his" work against a monologue given by a real human being.

Colbert on CBS will likely suck unless he creates a new persona.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-throws-david-letterman-set-into-dumpster/

I'm surprised they didn't start tearing it apart during the show.
That's heartbreaking. But at least I'm pretty sure Dave would find it hysterical.

This also seems to neatly answer the question I had earlier of, "Why Wednesday?" I had considered the need for every possible minute to build Colbert's set, but man. Did not think they would be so horrible about it. That set belongs in a museum.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EugeneJ posted:

Colbert on CBS will likely suck unless he creates a new persona.

He's smart enough to pull it off, but who knows how long it'll take.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

He's smart enough to pull it off, but who knows how long it'll take.

I'm reminded of Kilborn moving from Comedy Central to CBS, but at least he had sense to bring 5 Questions with him.

But the Late Late Show was less visible and less pressure. I think if Colbert doesn't catch on, he could get squeezed out like Conan.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

pwn posted:

That's heartbreaking. But at least I'm pretty sure Dave would find it hysterical.

This also seems to neatly answer the question I had earlier of, "Why Wednesday?" I had considered the need for every possible minute to build Colbert's set, but man. Did not think they would be so horrible about it. That set belongs in a museum.

The thing is, if you do it today, you know it's getting in the news somehow. Do it over the weekend, where you won't have people mad about it.

Or, you won't have guys like me, if I was there, trying to grab souvenirs.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

real colbert's ridiculously likable and amazing at improv. he'll do fine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
How in the hell is everything involved not going to a museum or something? I am pretty sure they could sell everything involved for a stupid profit if they didn't donate it all to somewhere.

What a haste.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djarum posted:

How in the hell is everything involved not going to a museum or something? I am pretty sure they could sell everything involved for a stupid profit if they didn't donate it all to somewhere.

What a haste.

There's no money in TV museums - in LA they tried it a bunch of times with stuff like the Cheers set, but they never stayed open long.

What we need is for the actual movie studios to build a big-rear end museum to house all the historic sets in.

Until then, they either get disposed of or rot in storage.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

EugeneJ posted:

I'm reminded of Kilborn moving from Comedy Central to CBS, but at least he had sense to bring 5 Questions with him.

But the Late Late Show was less visible and less pressure. I think if Colbert doesn't catch on, he could get squeezed out like Conan.

That's what I'm curious about - if the fact that he did 9 years of liberal comedy will mean Colbert can't cross over to a nationwide audience effectively because right-wingers are grudge-holding fact-ignoring blowhard assfaces... or so Fox News would make us believe.

In that respect, he'll still be the proper heir to Dave - devoted die-hard fans that don't number enough to outpace the fluffy competition whose support is 'a mile wide but an inch thick.' Which is Leno.

Incidentally, I recently discovered this clip of Louis CK calling Leno "the weirdest looking person on the Planet Earth." and then Leno trying to keep pace and just being annoying about it, which is why he's not good.

Incidentally, I work at a place where Leno is playing soon. I'll have to see if he's gotten any of his old edge back, or if he's just still Lamewad McGee.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

EugeneJ posted:

There's no money in TV museums - in LA they tried it a bunch of times with stuff like the Cheers set, but they never stayed open long.

What we need is for the actual movie studios to build a big-rear end museum to house all the historic sets in.

Until then, they either get disposed of or rot in storage.

I am kind of amazed that at least parts of it weren't taken by the Smithsonion since you know Dave is a huge part of American history now.

But like the audience chairs and whatnot could have been sold and made a huge chunk of change for someone. I know a lot of people who own seating from various sports venues that have been demolished and they paid quite a bit for them. I am pretty sure that there is just as many people out there that would buy Letterman seats. Hell, I'd scrape together the cash for one.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Djarum posted:

I am kind of amazed that at least parts of it weren't taken by the Smithsonion since you know Dave is a huge part of American history now.

But like the audience chairs and whatnot could have been sold and made a huge chunk of change for someone. I know a lot of people who own seating from various sports venues that have been demolished and they paid quite a bit for them. I am pretty sure that there is just as many people out there that would buy Letterman seats. Hell, I'd scrape together the cash for one.

To the first part, I'm pretty sure that's where the one intact bridge that's seen in the photos is going.

To the second, CBS is losing out on a goldmine by not selling Letterman artifacts. I'd buy various things, and I know a bunch of others that would too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Steve Vader posted:

That's what I'm curious about - if the fact that he did 9 years of liberal comedy will mean Colbert can't cross over to a nationwide audience effectively because right-wingers are grudge-holding fact-ignoring blowhard assfaces... or so Fox News would make us believe.

I know really hard line right wingers, including some Washington people, who loved the Colbert Report. We're talking about the kind of people who want openly acknowledged religious war and talk about how nuclear weapons are better peacekeepers than anything the UN does.

Stewart is the one they hate, because he has this schoolmarm way of lecturing you in between making stupid faces. Colbert actually shows that he's listened to right wing positions by the way he talks about them and disarms them while doing so. Jon was just too infuriated by the entire system.

Speaking of Jon, our next domino falls in, what, eight to twelve days?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

I know really hard line right wingers, including some Washington people, who loved the Colbert Report. We're talking about the kind of people who want openly acknowledged religious war and talk about how nuclear weapons are better peacekeepers than anything the UN does.

Isn't it possible they think Colbert wasn't acting and that he believed his views?

(yes I'm saying Conservatives are dumb)

It's like how Dave Chappelle quit show business after realizing that racists were watching his show and laughing for all the wrong reasons.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Conan Gives Staff Performance Reviews

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Conan's bits are still the best. I think his show could get more of the old magic back with a smaller audience and looser desk segments.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Did Stern talk about the Letterman finale at all today?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Craptacular! posted:

He also had a child. It seems like around the time Harry was born, Dave wanted to stop being the guy who threw pinball tables off a building and tried to squeeze thirty college mascots into a Starbucks unannounced. It's great stuff to watch, but not great "this is what your Dad did" stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean. A dad who throws pinball tables off a building and fits 30 mascots in a Starbucks is infinitely cooler than one who sits at a desk with nothing but top 10 lists and the worst loving color commentator television has ever seen.

pwn
May 27, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

The thing is, if you do it today, you know it's getting in the news somehow. Do it over the weekend, where you won't have people mad about it.

Or, you won't have guys like me, if I was there, trying to grab souvenirs.
From the comments of this US Weekly story:

quote:

quote:

I'm surprised that people aren't scavenging that cr@p...
People are trying to scavenge that "crap". They have 3 dumpsters full of broken up set pieces and props. The dumpsters are barricaded and there's unarmed security guards right there discouraging people from attempting to scavenge anything.
And this one, are those not pieces of the set in the photos? :confused:

quote:

That wasn't the set. Those were the parts of the floorboards and stage that had to be built to bring the Ed Sullivan theater up to standards. You'll see in other pictures that there were huge moving trucks there for the actual set, most of it to be taken to Ball State University, Letterman's alma mater.
Letterman might own the set, props, etc, maybe this was on his orders. A few days ago on the show, he talked about a guy in the audience who asked for the set during the pre-show. Letterman ended up giving him a Late Show jacket. He also talked to Oprah about how he ruthlessly tosses out personal effects. It would be in line with his character to not want artifacts sold off.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Not a bad sendoff, but not great. So, Dave, basically

I didn't start watching Letterman on a regular basis until I had a night job (1985-86) that involved a lot of down time. So, for a year, I saw Dave on a 5" black & white TV.

The "GE Handshake" had me rolling. I wonder whatever happened to that guy after that incident?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa - good news.

Some crazy bastard has been buying up old TV sets/props for years and is planning on opening a museum soon. He has the skyline from Dave's "Late Night" show and Carson's entire Tonight Show set:

http://www.museumoftv.org/artifacts-by-decade.html

Maybe that's where Letterman's bridge is heading?

He even has the Cheers set.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 22, 2015

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

EugeneJ posted:

... and that's when Leno strikes!

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't it possible they think Colbert wasn't acting and that he believed his views?

(yes I'm saying Conservatives are dumb)

Possibly, I have also known some staunch conservatives who really liked Colbert as well. The only sense I could make of it was that they didn't get that it was satire.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Possibly, I have also known some staunch conservatives who really liked Colbert as well. The only sense I could make of it was that they didn't get that it was satire.

I know its hard for humorless liberals to understand, but most conservatives actually have a well developed sense of humor and enjoy clever satire.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Irish Joe posted:

I know its hard for humorless liberals to understand, but most conservatives actually have a well developed sense of humor and enjoy clever satire.

2/10

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Irish Joe posted:

Holy poo poo Irish joe made a non terrible post! But seriously I like Colbert because his humor is smart. Jon Stewart is the "hurr Bush not smart" type of liberal that is only funny to other knuckle draggers that actual believe that. Truly funny political comedy is hard to pull off but Colbert is a master at it. Even when I disagree with the slant of a joke I can still appreciate the craftsmanship.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

Holy poo poo Irish joe made a non terrible post!

That's when you know your views are probably wrong.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I was going to say, I can almost bet they asked Dave what to do with the set and he said smash it up and throw it away. I'd love to have some of it but whattya gonna do. That Johnny Carson set above though is amazing, I can't believe someone has that, it's so unnerving to see it and think about it just sitting there 20+ years later.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is a big carepost of graphics as aired on the show in the past 6 weeks.

For the last 28 shows, the show put up these little baseball card-style bumps, with a still from one of the night's guests' first appearance. Usually the first, anyway. There are a few that deviate, which I'll get to. The first was April 13, with a picture from Sarah Jessica Parker's first appearance from February 8 1991. This first card is a big bigger than the rest, and uses a colour which no other card uses. The following night, with Billy Crystal, the format was revised, making the card a bit smaller. The next night, Michael J. Fox, it was revised further, making the "LS" in the upper-left corner a uniform yellow. With one notable exception, this third card establishes the format used on the remaining 41 cards. Each card features the aforementioned "LS" in the corner, a pennant logo in the lower-left, and the date of the guest's first appearance along the lower-right, in a varsity font.

The notable exception is #22. The picture of Cher is from her and Sonny Bono's November 13 1987 performance on Late Night. Noticeably the year is wrong on the card (1997,) and the font doesn't match the rest of the series. I can only surmise that she was a very late addition to that night's show, and her card was thrown together at the last minute. Which I can understand happening as the show was taped, but that nobody caught it and fixed it before air, is weird.

Then there's the issue of the show logo. When the first card debuted, it featured a stylized Late Show logo, specifically, stylized after the famous latter-day Late Night with David Letterman logo.

Most of this is conjecture. As astute viewers probably guessed throughout the farewell run, Letterman's people had been trying to get NBC to take the dick out of their mouths and let up on the Late Night IP to which they cling (though to their credit, they were relatively generous with use of material from Letterman's morning show.) Stills from Late Night had been allowed, but with the exception of the prime time special a couple of weeks ago, and Wednesday's finale, no video clips were permitted for use. Similarly, they were tight with use of the Late Night logo. Since "Late Night" is an ongoing brand at NBC, they didn't want the logo used in bumper graphics, despite no reasonable person ever being able to get confused as to which show they're watching. But then, we're not dealing with reasonable people here. Hence the creation of the stylized Late Show logo, which was used for the first 27 cards, regardless of whether the picture was from Late Night or Late Show.

But NBC finally relented on this point, and starting May 11- the second-to-last week of the show- the Late Night logo began being used on the cards. The Late Show logo, of course, was still used when appropriate, and likewise, The David Letterman Show logo was used for a small handful of cards. End conjecture.

In the cleanup process, I went back and dropped in the Late Night logo where needed in the first 27 cards. I also dropped in The David Letterman Show logo on #11; they hadn't used it until #19 with Steve Martin. I didn't try to fix #22's date, since I have no access to the varsity font used. If anyone else does, and has nothing better to do, please go for it.

Most of these, and indeed most everything in this post (yes, there's more :pwn:,) are from 1280x720 recordings. The first six were sourced from 720x400 and enlarged. I didn't bother to remove the CBS bug. They are numbered by their chronological appearance on the show, beginning April 13 and ending May 20. When available, I've included links to the respective clip on YouTube. Some of these clips are surprising in their absence (none of Stern's devotees have uploaded his first appearance on Letterman? Really?!) and others were surprising in their presence (someone out there must be a Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo fan.) One odd duck is #29, Don RIckles; the date is that of his first appearance in 1983, but the picture is from a later show. it's possible others are like this- Martin Short claimed the picture used was from 1984-85, but he could possibly be wrong. Since I can't find the clips, I haven't been able to figure it out.

#01 - Sarah Jessica Parker

#02 - Billy Crystal

#03 - Michael J. Fox

#04 - Tom Dreesen

#05 - Alec Baldwin

#06 - John Travolta

#07 - Bruce Willis

#08 - Robert Downey, Jr.

#09 - Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo

#10 - Elvis Costello

#11 - Biff Henderson (first morning show, first 35 and last 6 minutes, audio only, no Biff, listen and enjoy anyway)

#12 - Jerry Seinfeld

#13 - Scarlett Johansson

#14 - Todd Rundgren

#15 - John Mellencamp

#16 - Michael Keaton

#17 - Jungle Jack Hanna

#18 - Hootie and The Blowfish

#19 - Stephen Glenn Martin (three parts)

#20 - Reese Witherspoon

#21 - Nathan Lane

#22 - Sonny and Cher (three parts)

#23 - Martin Short

#24 - Norah Jones

#25 - Tina Fey

#26 - Ray Romano

#27 - Brian Regan

#28 - Howard Stern

#29 - Don Rickles (two parts)

#30 - Adam Sandler

#31 - Julia Roberts (two parts)

#32 - Paul Shaffer

#33 - Ryan Adams

#34 - Al Pacino

#35 - George Clooney

#36 - Tom Waits (date on card is incorrect, actual airdate December 21 1983)

#37 - Oprah Winfrey

#38 - Norm MacDonald

#39 - The staff of Late Night with David Letterman

#40 - Tom Hanks

#41 - Eddie Vedder

#42 - Bill Murray

#43 - Robert Allen "Bob Dylan" Zimmerman (5 parts)

#44 - David Letterman

In the prime time retrospective from earlier this month, near the end, there was a montage set to David Bowie's "Changes." In the montage were 13 classic Late Night bumpers, in high definition for the first time ever. Edd Hall made many fine bumpers for the old show, but they were only ever seen in low-fi broadcasts, and nowadays on even lower-fi YouTube uploads. The producers of the special scanned prints of these bumpers (presumably these pieces decorated the offices of Worldwide Pants,) and they stuck 'em all in the span of a few seconds. Most of them flew by too fast to even see what they were, but through the magic of COMPUTERS, we've lovingly captured each and every photo. One of them is repeated in the montage, first as a closeup and then as a full shot. There is also one from the finale. Each is pre-formatted for your desktop wallpaper needs.

And a few other odds and sods from here and there.

The last shot of Dave.

You can also see these images in albums on imgur, including all 45 photo credits from the finale.
CardsArtOddsCredits

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love the #3 in late night billboard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GutBomb posted:

I love the #3 in late night billboard.

I was just trying to find some way to quote it so I could say this. That will never stop being funny.

I forgot that Tony the long-running cue card dude hosed up, but it worked out because they brought in that twenty-something year old guy who did quite a few of the better out-of-studio bits in the final years.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

pwn posted:

This is amazing. Thank you, so, so much for doing this. It's everything that I wanted but did not know how to do.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pwn posted:

You can also see these images in albums on imgur, including all 45 photo credits from the finale.
CardsArtOddsCredits

You loving nerd.

That's pretty cool.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This is a shot in the dark, but it's about the little songs Letterman's band regularly played during the into/outros of commercials.

There's one that always sticks in my mind since I know I've heard it before in some other medium, but I never hear enough of it on the show to identify it.

By chance they played it again during the final episode so I made a clip of it. It's really short but maybe it will ring a bell for someone.

Link to audio clip: https://clyp.it/kpj5gdd5

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vakal posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but it's about the little songs Letterman's band regularly played during the into/outros of commercials.

There's one that always sticks in my mind since I know I've heard it before in some other medium, but I never hear enough of it on the show to identify it.

By chance they played it again during the final episode so I made a clip of it. It's really short but maybe it will ring a bell for someone.

Link to audio clip: https://clyp.it/kpj5gdd5

Expressway to Your Heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EBYMl-f-wo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Awesome, thanks.

Once I knew the song title it took like 10 seconds to find out where I heard it before as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKpKP0IMr4

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Hilarious. Wednesday and Thursday's episodes last week were both fantastic. He was so clearly having a ball just shooting the poo poo with Patton Oswalt on Wednesday; one of those interviews you just can't stop grinning while watching. (And I'm calling the next fan correction segment to be someone calling him out for referring to Carrot Top as the comedian smashing stuff on stage when he clearly meant Gallagher. I'd do it myself, but I have nothing funny or interesting to bring to it)

Also, I saw this on CNN today. For you wikibear fans, does this make you think maybe Google has been watching those skits as well?
http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/22/technology/google-doll-toy-connected-device-patent/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_money_pool&iid=obnetwork

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 25, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Djarum posted:

Conan was the last person who had the ability to be weird on TV.

:colbert: Craig Ferguson.

Yoshifan823 posted:

The late night host who was that for me was Craig Ferguson, but unlike those guys, who got to live their careers out on late night TV, Craig got pushed off to make room for that dumb Brit git.

For whatever reason, I'm very unattached to the early nineties as a pop cultural era, so grunge, Simpsons, Conan, all do nothing for me. Craig was something I just found one day and he had a weird horse and amazing interviews and a robot sidekick, and I'm a little jealous that y'all get/got to watch their guy carve a niche while mine is hosting a game show and starring in failed pilots.

I came of age in the early Conan era and I do have a fondness for early Simpsons, Grunge and Conan, but I have to say yeah, this is how I felt about Craigy Ferg right up to the last show. Conan lost a lot when he moved to the Tonight Show (Although the first week or two was fantastic) and I'm not entirely convinced he got it back when he moved to TBS. I mean, he's still good, and now he's the best of the ones who are still on TV, but there was a je ne sais quoi when he was at 12:30 and in New York.

Craig was the one guy just going out there, doing his own original thing and being the anarchist of late night. Add to that the fact that he was the only late night host to not get involved in the Conan/Leno thing just made him that much more of a class act. I'd much rather have seen him take over for Dave (Though I doubt he would have fit into 11:30). I found the final episode of Craig much more depressing and emotional than the final episode of Colbert, even knowing it was taped days beforehand and they were very vocal about how much of a poo poo they didn't give. His countdown of guests during the last few weeks was awesome.

But I thought his departure was 100% voluntary? I know there were rumors about him not sticking around because he didn't get tagged to replace Dave, but Craig kept saying again and again that he wanted to go out before he got stale. I'm not so sure that was all television-politics handwaving, because I saw some stand-up he did just two or three years ago where he was pretty outright disdainful of television and acting and the whole celebrity thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Hilarious. Wednesday and Thursday's episodes last week were both fantastic. He was so clearly having a ball just shooting the poo poo with Patton Oswalt on Wednesday; one of those interviews you just can't stop grinning while watching. (And I'm calling the next fan correction segment to be someone calling him out for referring to Carrot Top as the comedian smashing stuff on stage when he clearly meant Gallagher. I'd do it myself, but I have nothing funny or interesting to bring to it)

Also, I saw this on CNN today. For you wikibear fans, does this make you think maybe Google has been watching those skits as well?
http://money.cnn.com/2015/05/22/technology/google-doll-toy-connected-device-patent/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_money_pool&iid=obnetwork

Wikibear actually started because of a real Wikipedia bear that was shown off at some toy fair. The premise the first time was even Conan's old "we got an exclusive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Hopkins FBI posted:

Mods, please change the thread title to David Letterman: He's Gone Already, Chief.

Just hasn't felt right these last few nights turning on the TV after the late news and seeing that crapfest The Mentalist.