Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just remake FFV with the most Saturday Morning Cartoon graphics possible and all the Fiesta modes implemented in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sunning posted:

Fun fact, the recently released Final Fantasy X HD remaster for PS4 sold a little under 16K units this week in its debut in Japan. It was the best selling game of the week.

:stonklol:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That mobile market isn't going to fill everyone's coffers forever because those games are made to be time-consuming and there's only so many of them one person is going to play at any given time. It'll be interesting to see how it all ends up though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yyyyeah. Japanese console sales are in the toilet. A major release might help but that's a big question.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

frodnonnag posted:

Kids absolutely love sonic, esp. The under 10 crowd. I know a few relatives kids that have all the recent games. Another kiddie seller is the licensed movies poo poo shovelware, my sister's son absolutely tears thru licensed poo poo.

Yup. This is mostly why. My youngest son loves Sonic. Some kids even love Sonic without even knowing that he is a character that originated in video games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kanfy posted:

That mobile market isn't going to fill everyone's coffers forever because those games are made to be time-consuming and there's only so many of them one person is going to play at any given time. It'll be interesting to see how it all ends up though.

People have been saying this for over five years now. The solution, as it turns out, was to just keep making newer and shinier money-sinks for people to get lost in when they get bored of their current one.

Mobile has completely consumed the Asian markets, and nothing is going to change that. The best you can hope for is that console releases don't shift completely to the mobile model.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This might be the most insanely reductive post Ibe ever seen in my life

Nah Sonic and FF have a lot in common. The music's good, the story's garbage, they're mostly enjoyable (except when they're not, they're really not), and the best entries recently have been nostalgia spin-offs and mobile ports.

Edit: well ok "garbage" was a poor choice of words, they're as good as they need to be

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 22, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Nah Sonic and FF have a lot in common. The music's good, the story's garbage, they're mostly enjoyable (except when they're not, they're really not), and the best entries recently have been nostalgia spin-offs and mobile ports.

I'm going to have to disagree with the whole "story is garbage" thing when it comes to Final Fantasy.

Generally speaking the stories are nonsensical, and have huge plot holes, but there is generally something interesting or intriguing enough to make the story of interest. It may not necessarily be "good" but it generally amusing and interesting. Even when the story is completely divorced from anything approaching reality, as in FFVIII, the setting and tone of the story and concept behind the story is arresting enough.

Beyond that some of the storylines are actually good, with good character development. Read Elentor's LP of FFVII, it shows just how much thought and development went into the characters. Yes a lot of it is obscured by horrid translation and localization, but the story was still good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Neo Rasa posted:

Would totally play a game called Gunball.

Well, there's a game called Gunsport that's "volleyball with guns."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why would you play any ff but V and some of the recent ones for any reason but story?

yeah, I'm going to play FF9 and FF6 for the world class gameplay.

Pretend this post took 60 seconds to load for maximum impact

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF6 had great gameplay when it was the first turn-based RPG I ever played.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I just went back to Guadosalam after unlocking the airship and Tromell is getting all passive aggressive like "boo hoo I'm a poor defenseless old man (who totally hosed you over and was complicit in literal genocide), go ahead and beat me up I guess, if it's so important to you". I hate this loving guy way more than any of the supposed villains.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Madmarker posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with the whole "story is garbage" thing when it comes to Final Fantasy.

Generally speaking the stories are nonsensical, and have huge plot holes, but there is generally something interesting or intriguing enough to make the story of interest. It may not necessarily be "good" but it generally amusing and interesting. Even when the story is completely divorced from anything approaching reality, as in FFVIII, the setting and tone of the story and concept behind the story is arresting enough.

Beyond that some of the storylines are actually good, with good character development. Read Elentor's LP of FFVII, it shows just how much thought and development went into the characters. Yes a lot of it is obscured by horrid translation and localization, but the story was still good.

Evil emperor summons a tornado to destroy half the world.
Earthquake made a floating continent almost explode.
Whale space ship takes a ninja to the moon.
Aliens chase an evil tree man through space using meteors.
Evil clown man moves some statues until the world explodes.
A spiky-haired guy forgot he was a failure.
A bunch of orphans who grew up together happen to team up together to save the world without recognizing each other.
A half-monkey guy goes super-saiyan and destroys a planet after having an existential crisis.
A famous athlete time travels to help some woman walk a lot.

And that's not getting into the batshit insane stories of the spin-offs.

More games should aspire to match the mind-boggling insanity that is the standard Final Fantasy story.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mega64 posted:

A bunch of orphans who grew up together happen to team up together to save the world without recognizing each other.
A half-monkey guy goes super-saiyan and destroys a planet after having an existential crisis.

More games should aspire to match the mind-boggling insanity that is the standard Final Fantasy story.

Yeah, but I mean, a lot of us grew up in the generation of poo poo like The Neverending Story and the Goonies. When you really think about it, those stories were loving weird. After you watch Return to Oz, "Whale space ship takes a ninja to the moon" becomes downright normal.

But that aside, the strength of the series tends to be in the characters' stories rather than the overall stories, which is a pretty much constant in most video games. "Whale space ship takes a ninja to the moon" sounds (and is) kinda lame but "Dude confronts the dark side of his personality, overcomes it, saves his seemingly traitorous best friend, his long-lost brother's soul, and he, his best friend, his girlfriend, a girl he saved in his first moment of conscience (who in turn saved all their asses), and some ninja go beat a bad guy trying to destroy the planet to suck its energy dry" actually sounds fun because it captures the pieces of the story that resonated then and now with players.

And each of the stories could be written that way. "Some guy realizes he's a failure" is short for "some guy realizes he's a failure, comes to grip with his limitations (with the help of a childhood friend) and is honest with himself and his friends, and ends up actually kicking rear end along with them" for example and that's the really condensed version.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 21, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The last Japanese console game that did crazy numbers was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle which did I think about 500k in its first two weeks and then died afterwards. The game also hit used game stores pretty quickly and fans did not like the F2P poo poo they implemented, so yeah.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

A famous athlete time travels

Now you're just making poo poo up. :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Beef Waifu posted:

The last Japanese console game that did crazy numbers was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle which did I think about 500k in its first two weeks and then died afterwards. The game also hit used game stores pretty quickly and fans did not like the F2P poo poo they implemented, so yeah.

Dragon Quest Heroes did like 600k between the two versions, and it also moved PS4s too. Then again, that was between two different consoles so it might not be fair listing that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Mario and Dragon Quest are consistently great series that are still being made by the same core team since the beginning, and their spin-offs are great too, especially the Itadaki Street games where they cross over.

Final Fantasy and Sonic are all over the place in terms of quality, but we put up with the really bad entries because we know the next one will be completely different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

Now you're just making poo poo up. :colbert:

The truth makes even less sense.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

And each of the stories could be written that way. "Some guy realizes he's a failure" is short for "some guy realizes he's a failure, comes to grip with his limitations (with the help of a childhood friend) and is honest with himself and his friends, and ends up actually kicking rear end along with them" for example and that's the really condensed version.

Yeah imo the thing that the FF games people actually like (storywise) have in common is that the *trappings* of the story are wacky but the core of the narrative is something most people easily identify with. FF4 is about redemption and trying to become a better person, FF6 is about overcoming personal tragedy and hardship through community and friendship, and FF7 is about coming to grips with who you are and being true to it.

Plus, sometimes the wacky trappings are a good thing. FF1 was about the crappy joke first boss traveling back in time/creating an infinite timeloop so he could accumulate power and stop being a joke; it came out at a time when every other game like it was about rescuing princesses or saving the kingdom from the demon lord.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 21, 2015

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Mega64 posted:

The truth makes even less sense.

An imaginary famous athlete thinks he time travels

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Waldean posted:

An imaginary famous athlete thinks he time travels

So he can kill his imaginary dad who is killing people in the real world.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
A Young woman with a death wish saves the world with her literal dream boyfriend.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Yup. This is mostly why. My youngest son loves Sonic. Some kids even love Sonic without even knowing that he is a character that originated in video games.

fix your son before its too late

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Have him make a medallion and see what happens.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just make him play sonic 06 for the internet and he will stop liking sonic and also you

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How Rude posted:

A chinese exchange student I knew from high school said western gamers like three kinds of games: Gun, Car, and Ball.

Bonus points if you combine any of those three.

Pro Thunderball?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

just make him play sonic 06 for the internet and he will stop liking sonic and also you

It's worse. He makes ME play the bad sonic games. He is not interested in playing them himself.

At the same time, he also wants to sit on my lap while I am playing Witcher 3 so he can grab the mouse and swing swords around which I only allow on a very limited basis because of the mature content in that game but still it makes me feel :smug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The honest truth is that Sonic is a strong mascot and, 2006 and Sonic Boom aside, his games tend to be playable-if-unexceptional. A lot of the strong dislike for them comes from poo poo like the Werehog which sucks if you're expecting Sonic but is fine to a kid who is playing Budget God of War with a cartoon character he likes.

I spoke to the director of Sonic Generations at E3 a few years back and he basically said their core idea when designing generations was to try to appeal to both sets of fans. Younger kids almost universally only enjoy the 3D Sonic games and the kind of gameplay and tone they have and Generations was an attempt to get them playing the 2D games and the oldschool grognards playing the 3D games.

It helps that Sega is good at marketing to kids. There's a new Sonic show on TV every few years, he shows up in Wreck-It Ralph, it has an ongoing comic from Archie, they frequently put out toys and games and other stuff, they're pushing him hard on mobile devices where kids are focused now, ect.

Generations was actually good but did not convince me of anything

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Hundreds of adventurers stand in a circle filled with man-sized flies for 3 hours every day for a chance to beat up a dragon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pretty soft girl posted:

Hundreds of adventurers stand in a circle filled with man-sized flies for 3 hours every day for a chance to beat up a dragon.

i thought you liked mario

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I've never liked the Black Belt in FFI, but I think that's because I keep forgetting you're not supposed to give him a weapon. Kind of a dick move to make a weapon type just for him that lowers the damage he does.

Also funny that despite having space for item descriptions now, the remake still doesn't clarify if Flame Mail is strong against fire or ice attacks.

Also also I forgot about the Mindflayers, who have like a 50% chance to just straight-up kill whoever they hit. My heart sank until I remembered it was the remake and I had Phoenix Downs. In the original I'd be hiking my rear end back to Crescent Lake.

Final Fantasy: Dawn of Dick Moves

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've never liked the Black Belt in FFI, but I think that's because I keep forgetting you're not supposed to give him a weapon. Kind of a dick move to make a weapon type just for him that lowers the damage he does.

Also funny that despite having space for item descriptions now, the remake still doesn't clarify if Flame Mail is strong against fire or ice attacks.

Also also I forgot about the Mindflayers, who have like a 50% chance to just straight-up kill whoever they hit. My heart sank until I remembered it was the remake and I had Phoenix Downs. In the original I'd be hiking my rear end back to Crescent Lake.

Final Fantasy: Dawn of Dick Moves

Back when I was playing FFI on the NES I had a list of enemies which I would either run from every time or I would just pray that I never encountered them. Mindflayers were on the list. It just wasn't worth it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

Fafnir was a 21 to 24 hour respawn with nidhogg being a higher level random of 3+ days off of him. The way all the 'kings' spawned was pretty rote and horrible. They could only spawn on the half hour marks, so 7 windows of spawn time in those 3 hours, with 25 minutes of being afk in between. To boot, just getting to dragon's aery, the zone where faf/nid spawns is about a 20-30 minute trek across at least two zones depending on how you left. Both also had the 'spikeflail' dragon ability, where if anyone takes primary attention from him that isn't directly in front of him, he triggers this lethal aoe that will clear the zone.

Adamantoise/aspidochelone was a bit worse, spawn being in an area full of mobs that will attack you unless sneak/invis are up, as well as being in a zone even further away, a trek of 4 zones.

Behemoth/king behemoth had it's own poo poo issue. King behemoth, the 3 to 5 day+ lotto spawn off regular behemoth dropped defending ring, a very desired piece of gear for paladin tanks (and anyone really) at about a 1-3% chance. Back then it was so rare that it could actually not drop for months, if not a year.

All three/six back then required 6 to 18 people to kill. Lesser skilled groups would wipe, and there was drama around japanese players holding the mob for over half a day to bring spawn back into japanese prime time.

All thee are now popped by items that drop from instanced events, are now easily soloable, and all drops but defending ring are obsoleted.

The worst world spawn (bosses/nm that spawn out in the world to claim) had to be ixion/sandworm. Both had measures implemented to discourage camping, but only made it worse. Spawn window was over several more hours, they could spawn anywhere over several zones, and would dissapear/not spawn if the zone picked had campaign going on. To make it even worse, ixion could be despawned by 'spooking' him, or running up to him without claiming by throwing the needed claim item at him. This would reset his spawn by half an hour.

all this content is now changed, soloable, or irrelevant now.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

You forgot the first game.

A band of thugs kill a guy, then travel back in time to kill him again.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sunning posted:

Fun fact, the recently released Final Fantasy X HD remaster for PS4 sold a little under 16K units this week in its debut in Japan. It was the best selling game of the week.

God drat, we're not getting one of these for XII, are we? :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

If it is a thing it's probably been in the works for a long time now and those numbers hopefully wont mean much, especially if you include worldwide sales and the amount of people who, like me, bought the PS3 version already and don't see a reason to upgrade until it's cheap.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DrNutt posted:

The FFX/FFX-2 Remaster for PS3/Vita did well. It's likely that Japanese players were satisfied with the initial release of the remaster and saw no need of double-dipping for the PS4 version. If anything, Square-Enix is probably angry at itself for not getting these remasters out earlier. Other than that, it's just the worst week in 15 years.

The bigger question is whether we'll get FFXVI, FFXVII, etc. and any other future big budget Square Enix Japan developed games on consoles or not. The console industry in Japan has collapsed with the sales ceiling getting lower with each passing year. It's becoming a herculean task for games on home consoles to beat even 500K domestic sales. They could try competing in overseas markets where consoles are performing better. However, they're up against Western publishers who have money than them, stronger brands, and a better understanding of the local markets.

Against those odds, Konami looks like it's ahead of the curve with its shift towards mobile gaming and gambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The amount of money that SE makes off of XV and KHIII will be a large deciding factor. If you want SE to continue making these big budget games then buy these titles and tell your friends to buy them too.