Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Nope. Judging by the reactions I've seen in several places you're very much not alone.

I'm actually very surprised that so many websites/blogs were praising the Super girl trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm actually very surprised that so many websites/blogs were praising the Super girl trailer.

What are tumblr and feminist sites saying about it out of interest? I imagine they at least have to have some mixed if not outright negative thoughts on it.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake

tsob posted:

What are tumblr and feminist sites saying about it out of interest? I imagine they at least have to have some mixed if not outright negative thoughts on it.

Tumblr seems to be generally positive about the trailer, I think. The general sentiment being that it kinda does resemble the Black Widow SNL sketch, but that's OK, because Kara sort of fits that mold. Plus, she still kicks alien rear end and rescues a plane. The gay joke and Cat Grant's girl speech are the two things everyone seems down on. This is all a cursory look though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wasn't really a fan of the music used in the Supergirl footage, or anything that had Cat Grant dialogue (poo poo was cringeworthy). Everything else I was pretty much okay with. The plane rescue scene looks so good and I liked Kara's interactions with Jimmy and the other dude (who is apparently Toyman?.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

Am I the only one who cringed while watching the Supergirl trailer?

They're going in the direction of light hearted (not a bad thing) and making Kara the "adorkable" cliche female star (again, not necessarily bad) but the "do you have a problem with the word girl?" and the attempted stirring "you're a hero" speech are just awful and the music choices really turned off a lot of people. Plus, in the 6 minute trailer there were a ton of references to Superman that seemed really out of place, especially the Jimmy Olson "Superman told me he wanted you to do this, but he wanted you to make the choice on your own."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

I feel like Supergirl has the potential to be really really good or really really terrible. If they try and make it feel like the show that the trailer makes it out to be, it could be very embarrassing, but if they let it feel more like Flash and give it a heart without making it "oh look a woman who is a superhero how radical" and make it feel like Touched by an Angel(ic Kryptonian), I think Benoist is up to the task of carrying it.

Plus we already have a second season of that from Agent Carter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pentyne posted:

They're going in the direction of light hearted (not a bad thing) and making Kara the "adorkable" cliche female star (again, not necessarily bad) but the "do you have a problem with the word girl?" and the attempted stirring "you're a hero" speech are just awful and the music choices really turned off a lot of people. Plus, in the 6 minute trailer there were a ton of references to Superman that seemed really out of place, especially the Jimmy Olson "Superman told me he wanted you to do this, but he wanted you to make the choice on your own."

I think you mean her cousin. They were very careful to not once mention Superman, which means he's probably been added to the list with Batman by DC.

DC does the dumbest poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WarLocke posted:

Also I really liked Limitless as a movie. Interested in seeing what they do with it to make it a full show, since at the end of the movie it's implied that the main character has figured out a way to make the effect permanent and no longer needs to take pills.
Can't wait to see the huge rear end retcon involved in that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Supergirl pilot has leaked and if you wish to discuss it do so with spoiler tags. It should go without saying that no links will be posted here, but I've just said it anyway so I can't take it back.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Supergirl spoiler alert Supes has been Supes for a number of years....at least 10

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cross posting for the Chat thread. No spoilers, just general stuff.

Deadpool posted:

I watched the Supergirl pilot and while I would not call it good it's nowhere near as horrible as the trailer made it out to be. What's weird is the effects look so much better than they did in the trailer that I don't believe for a second they polished them up that much in a week. That means they used unfinished effects in the trailer when the finished effects were probably ready to go. The plane rescue is actually quite amazing for a TV budget. Even on a major network like CBS.

The biggest downside is that if you were to look at the dialogue in this episode you would think the main character of the show was "her cousin" because nobody ever shuts the gently caress about "him" at all. They say "his" name once in the intro and only refer to "him" like I am now for the rest of the episode. It's annoying as hell. Also he's been around for over a decade at least in this universe as he was already doing his thing as a superhero when Kara arrived as a child on Earth. How they're going to avoid using him on the show is certain to become distracting as there's no reason at all why he shouldn't be able to pop at to even just say hello to his cousin. I struggled not type out his name just in those few sentences, I don't know how they wrote that whole episode doing it. At one point Cat Grant refers to him as The Superlative Man. Talk about jumping through hoops.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Supergirl spoiler alert Supes has been Supes for a number of years....at least 10

I think we already knew that from the trailer?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really liked the pilot episode, more than I thought I would. The upfront/first look was way different tonally for sure; I didn't cringe at all. It had to have been the music or editing that made the show come off really wonky, because I felt the pilot was real solid all around. Some good to decent acting—not great, but I'd say on par with Arrow and Flash—the VFX and action scenes were straight up loving awesome (the VFX is a major high point in the pilot... hope the entire run can keep it up), and lastly... Melissa Benoist is cute as hell :3:

I'm booked for Season 1. Bravo CBS :golfclap:

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 22, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Melissa but her acting was definitely off at times though. As if she were trying too hard. I'm sure she'll get more comfortable as time goes on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved it... it's the opposite of Man of Steel.

They certainly didn't specify how long Supes had been Supes in the trailer, but it makes it pretty clear in the show.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It's The Unbreakable Kara Danvers. Just needs a meme'd up remix theme.

Edit: Oh god, Superfriends namedrop/setup. Countdown to live-action Wonder Twins.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Kimmy Schmidt theme song actually works 100% for Supergirl if you change the plurals to singulars. It's kind of eerie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I thought it was awful except for the effects being good, they sure as hell went with "Let's fit every goddamn plot device we possibly can into one single pilot". The actress is good, everyone else is terrible.

They need to just murder Superman in the next few episodes and be like "Welp, she's it" . Cause even having him in the world makes the show terrible in so many ways.

Also the main plot Oh you want to keep aliens a secret? So the guy who gave the interview saying he's a alien, and oh probably been fighting aliens for like 10 years, that's not a clue to everyone on earth that aliens exist. Also, when did her sister get recruited again? Why do they have such a strong sisterly bond cause uh... her sister just saw Superman drop off a orphan to their house, and then oh she is also recruited by a organization that keeps aliens secret. What the gently caress hoop jumping is that. Good to know that she can get taken out with some darts at any moment. Also, apparently Superman is totally cool with his cousin being kidnapped

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 22, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks incredible in 1080p, the surround sound is pretty loving good too. I am hype for this show now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I thought it was awful except for the effects being good, they sure as hell went with "Let's fit every goddamn plot device we possibly can into one single pilot". The actress is good, everyone else is terrible.

They need to just murder Superman in the next few episodes and be like "Welp, she's it" . Cause even having him in the world makes the show terrible in so many ways.

Also the main plot Oh you want to keep aliens a secret? So the guy who gave the interview saying he's a alien, and oh probably been fighting aliens for like 10 years, that's not a clue to everyone on earth that aliens exist. Also, when did her sister get recruited again? Why do they have such a strong sisterly bond cause uh... her sister just saw Superman drop off a orphan to their house, and then oh she is also recruited by a organization that keeps aliens secret. What the gently caress hoop jumping is that. Good to know that she can get taken out with some darts at any moment. Also, apparently Superman is totally cool with his cousin being kidnapped

Sisters are sisters, man. Growing up with someone for years will probably either make them like you or make them hate you, so they went with all the stuff that makes you like a person. Do you really need a goddamned montage of sisterly moments like them eating ice cream together or dating boys in order to figure out they grew up liking each other?

The MAIN villain I don't get...it looked exactly like her mom? - is that her mom's twin sister?...like...that's just all sorts of dumb.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
That was really bad, I don't know if it was simply pilot issues or CBS loving with product but it seems to not have learned any of the issues of Arrow and the Flash and gone Agents of SHEILD way (I thought the villain was Brett Dalton for a bit).

The moment I'd most like to change, lets make Kara a lesbian because otherwise it's a love triangle for no reason with Jimmy Olsen and guy whose name I don't know.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

Sisters are sisters, man. Growing up with someone for years will probably either make them like you or make them hate you, so they went with all the stuff that makes you like a person. Do you really need a goddamned montage of sisterly moments like them eating ice cream together or dating boys in order to figure out they grew up liking each other?

The MAIN villain I don't get...it looked exactly like her mom? - is that her mom's twin sister?...like...that's just all sorts of dumb.

Twin sister i can deal with, makes for a interesting meeting

Next person who types, "are they making her Zod?" is clearly a loving idiot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The correct nomenclature is fem-Zod or perhaps Zod-girl right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

gently caress you!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Twin sister i can deal with, makes for a interesting meeting

Next person who types, "are they making her Zod?" is clearly a loving idiot.

For just one brief moment, one shiny glittering half-instant, while they were panning up from the villain's butt, I was hoping that it would have been Faora as the big bad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress you!

Maybe she hosed Zod :shrug:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sober posted:

Zodina or Zodette

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

I can't understand why they had Superman in it in the first place. They don't even appear to be allowed to say his name, never mind show him, so having him exist instead of Kara replacing him is just awkward in a lot of ways. It also makes some things bizarre. Like, how do people not know that aliens exist? What do they think Superman is? Has he never fought a single alien in over 10 years? Why did he never train her in her powers? Why did he never train her to fight full stop? I get that he wanted her to make the choice to be a hero herself, but she should have had lessons for the sake of self-defense if nothing else given the kind of poo poo that's out there. Kara's opening monologue declaring that the world didn't need two heroes so she never bothered to do anything despite telling her sister she's always wanted to help people 5 minutes later is also hilariously stupid.

There's other things that are kind of weird in the show too. If Kara is so against the name Supergirl why does she not just give someone (James Olson for example) an interview and declare that her name is Superwoman? It sounds better as a name anyways, screw the character's history. Why does she even care about keeping her job at Catco? She hates having to fetch coffee and she has a sister working at the DEO and has literally just helped them directly. Why not just work for them? At least for a while until they try and force her to do something she disagrees with. There have got to be better jobs for someone with her powers and need to run out a moment's notice than a PA. Hell, for that matter, what does Cat Grant think she's doing every time she runs out to save the city? It's going to get kind of stupid eventually considering she's supposed to be at Cat Grant's beck and call at any time. How does Wynn know how to make body armor capes and hack police frequencies? What the gently caress is he doing working as a...reporter? Whatever he is, if he can do that. Why did the alien leave after the DEO helicopter showed up? He should have been able to just jump up and smash it out of the sky before continuing to fight Kara by all indications.

I'm also not a fan of a lot of the dialogue of the show. The opening episode alone had several pep talks, and all of them stunk of "girls can be strong too". Show don't tell. We don't need the cast reinforcing it with hokey dialogue every few minutes if you actually just show her doing stuff. Which they were, and that should have been enough on it's own without the need for the cast to lay it on thick on several occasions that girls can be heroes too.

I think it's a good pilot, but I maintain that it's good despite it's setup and dialogue, not because of it. It may be able to keep that up long term and even start to leave some of the issues, like the dialogue in the dust where they belong, but I won't be holding my breath.

sbaldrick posted:

That was really bad, I don't know if it was simply pilot issues or CBS loving with product but it seems to not have learned any of the issues of Arrow and the Flash and gone Agents of SHEILD way (I thought the villain was Brett Dalton for a bit).

The moment I'd most like to change, lets make Kara a lesbian because otherwise it's a love triangle for no reason with Jimmy Olsen and guy whose name I don't know.

I've not seen Agents of SHIELD, but the obvious love triangle seems like something pulled straight out of CW's playbook frankly. As does the idea of her sister telling her that she should never be a hero and what she did was stupid after saving her life for the sake of melodrama and then 10 minutes later encouraging her to fly because the world needs her.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The love triangle does seem like something straight out of the CW, but for the fact the producers do love triangles way better.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Eh, another victim of Canadian Wanking, or CW.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They should rename the show "His cousin"

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I liked it. :shrug:

I don't mind the love triangle too much since it really doesn't seem to be a big focus. But, if you're surprised that Berlanti, a guy with two shows on the CW, is running a show with a subplot that sounds like it belongs on the CW, then I just don't even know what to tell you.

The whole "Him" thing didn't bother me much, either, but that's just from experience with how these things go down. With licensed properties, there's all sorts of crazy poo poo that has to happen to even get shows like Supergirl in the room, let alone on television. They probably couldn't make the show without tying him in somehow because it's Supergirl and the two are intrinsically linked, but saying his name or having him actually appear would cost CBS several episodes worth of budget. Supes ain't cheap in a movie production year. I have a feeling it'll be a pilot thing and the story will focus solely on Kara for the majority of the season.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was okay with the episode apart from young Cara but child actors are almost always bad and she wasn't in it much so whatever. Maybe it was just more noticeable because they led with it.

At least with the love triangle everything seems to be in the open. No secret crushes or whatever. In fact she clearly knows that her Superfriend is interested in her and she doesn't seem to be into him romantically at all so is it even a love triangle at that point?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't know if the effects were good or not, because the camera was cutting around so much to save the budget that it made everything look cheap. The effects with Kara that weren't CUT CUT CUT CUT were still unsettling. I never quite felt like she was 'flying.' I also think the dialogue was inexcusable. The superGIRL rant was bad. All of her sister's pep talks were eye-rolling. Every time someone emphasized the word "girl," I wanted to just close the video. The villain-of-the-week being He-Man-Woman-Hater was the corn kernel on the poo poo log. Same with all the allusion to Superman. Too expensive to use him proper? Then don't use him at all. Make Supergirl the Last Daughter of Krypton and the first kryptonian on Earth. The only thing you risk is comic book grognards who can't tell the difference between fun and aspergers.

I liked Jimmy James Olsen. :shrug:
Won't be watching in the fall unless something changes though. I don't know what the budget is for Supergirl, but Arrow and The Flash got way more value for their dollar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except they clearly want to make a show about a second generation Supergirl living up to Superman's name.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

Except they clearly want to make a show about a second generation Supergirl living up to Superman's name.

It's kind of hard to live up to His name when yours isn't even a pronoun, let alone masculine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They should rename the show "His cousin"

I've always wondered what Rebecca would be like as a superhero movie.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Having just watched the pilot I liked it. I would also like the person who edited the 6 minute trailer to do that for every show it would save so much time, I could catch up on all those shows i would like to watch but don't have the time.

Some random thoughts

Costume: A little fanservicey, especially the first couple of iterations and I expect some of those scenes might be cut or slightly altered for broadcast (the skirt without tights). I wish that they had ended up giving her leggings that matched the top of the suit with a skirt instead of the tights. And it's a shame they didn't stick with the bright red Doc Martens and just gave her generic superhero boots. I hope it evolves over the first season [END pervy, nerdy observations]

Other random thoughts:
  • If there isn't a crossover with The Flash they are making a huge mistake, they've already introduced time travel and the possibility of multiple dimensions there so it should be possible.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about her aunt being the baddie for the season there is going to need to be a watertight explanation for why her cousin can't help take care of it.
  • I am so very glad that they cast Melissa Benoist and not one of the other rumoured contenders, she can actually act.
  • James Olsen could possibly get annoying
  • I wish they had shown her trying to fit in for longer and sneakily using her powers to help her get things done.
  • If the pilot had been longer it might have helped, the introduction of the DEO felt a little rushed.
  • I hope they embrace the silly superman tropes, they just need "Is it a bird..." and to find a phone box for her to change in and they will have the complete set.
  • If Lego Batman can license the John Williams theme they need to get it as well.

I really enjoyed it DC should just double down on their TV projects and let them use what ever characters and settings they want the audience are smarter than they give them credit for.

So long as this doesn't become too grim-dark and brooding like Arrow a bright and airy show like this will be fun to watch, i'm looking forward to seeing the first season. If they can make it even half as good as the first season of The Flash or Arrow and hit the ground running it should be a good one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aliens threatening to destroy a city, and then eventually take over the world?

What, that's not a thing Kal-El helps with?

What?

Otherwise, I really hope it doesn't cross over into the Flash/CW universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

The giant "Where the gently caress is Super-Man?" plot hole mess is turning me off and I haven't even watched the pilot yet. Hopefully the show explains why he isn't there, but from what you guys are all saying it sounds like they can't even try.

• Locked thread