Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
gently caress the final boss of Ys Origin. I am completely convinced that he enters a "kill mode" after the first time you deactivate his shield in his third form. He has a laser barrage attack that will take off a full half of your health, and the only way to avoid it is to either pop your special attack, or to run behind him as he charges up. My final attempt, he used it three times in a row from outside the actual playing field. gently caress this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For the uninitiated, Ys is an Action-RPG series where the title is pronounced as "Eese" and the RPG half of gameplay is an utter lie. It doesn't matter what level you are, you will be straight-up murdered. I never beat the boss of the first game because he is a fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOginOZl1Pk

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 03:26 on May 21, 2015

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For the uninitiated, Ys is an Action-RPG series where the title is pronounced as "Eese" and the RPG half of gameplay is a straight-up lie. It doesn't matter what level you are, you will be straight-up murdered. I never beat the boss of the first game because he is a fucker:

I dunno. In the the later ones, one or two levels matters quite a bit if you're stuck at a boss. I can't really stand that 'Bump' mechanic in the older ones though.

I downloaded the sim game Afterlife, and the disasters are all way too devastating - I had forgotten since playing as a kid. You want to build heaven as compact and efficient as possible. So I've got this nice tight heaven with top-tier buildings, when Paradise Pair o' Dice rolls in and levels the whole place. Cut my heaven population in half. Seems like something like that happens every 15-20 minutes.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

For the uninitiated, Ys is an Action-RPG series where the title is pronounced as "Eese" and the RPG half of gameplay is an utter lie. It doesn't matter what level you are, you will be straight-up murdered. I never beat the boss of the first game because he is a fucker:

Honestly, that's the only boss fight that's straight up bullshit no matter what. At Dark Fact, the player will always be at level 10 with the Cleria equipment. The boss is extremely simple, there's just a shitload of bullets and the floor disappears so it's a damage obstacle course. That fight is totally based on skill and luck, and your skills matter little. Other end bosses in the series are really good, like Ark of Napishtim and Oath in Felghana, but, like Captain Lavender said, those are later entries and players can grind past if they can't dodge well enough.

I did end up beating the Ys Origin fight, but I had to grind for 45 minutes and it still took me another 45 minutes and three attempts to beat him with 15 HP left over. I just got really unlucky in that in multiple attempts in a row he would fly off the field and spam laser barrages. When I did beat him, he only fired off two barrages from on the field.

A thing dragging a lot of games down: super attacks with no cooldowns, so the game can just decide "gently caress you" and end you if you're unlucky.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I remember playing this game and having a fun enough time. It's not like an overly complicated game or anything but it's a fine time waster. Then I got to that boss, died twice against him, and decided I was never going to beat him and I've never played the game since.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

I downloaded the sim game Afterlife, and the disasters are all way too devastating - I had forgotten since playing as a kid. You want to build heaven as compact and efficient as possible. So I've got this nice tight heaven with top-tier buildings, when Paradise Pair o' Dice rolls in and levels the whole place. Cut my heaven population in half. Seems like something like that happens every 15-20 minutes.

I'll PM this to you, but for everyone else who hasn't played Afterlife and you totally should:

The secret to not having to deal with disasters in Afterlife is to constantly deploy one: Bats Out Of Hell. It's win-win for you, no matter which realm you build. The bats ONLY deploy in Hell, and buildings covered in Bat poo poo exude a bunch of Bad Vibes, which are beneficial in Hell. I go as far as to never place the first Hell Reward Structure when I play, specifically because it kills Bats.

So basically, constantly 'suffer' from Bats Out Of Hell.

edit: what drags down Afterlife is its mid-to-end game. Mid-game, your gameplay (regardless if you decided to build up Heaven and/or hell) consists of Build poo poo and AutoBalance. Late game, the constraints of building a big city makes Heaven suck and Hell awesome (because massive lovely cities are good in Hell).

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:56 on May 21, 2015

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

The Moon Monster posted:

This weird reverse difficulty curve is dragging down a ton of RPGs. Is it so hard to make the starting enemies weaker or start the player at a level where they're not helpless?

The third penny arcade game has skippable dialogue and an insanely fun combat system that is well maintained throughout. The game is entirely combat, and it's fast and "puzzle-y". It's fun.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Poulpe posted:

I'm only in the very early game, but:
Divinity: Original Sin - Minmax or lose. Full stop.

Takes a bit of trial and error to find out where you can at the low levels that's for sure.

But that didn't piss me off anywhere near as much as a switch puzzle out of nowhere, with lovely little hard to see switches and no problem-solving just rial and error.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Started playing GTA V recently, my first GTA since the PS1 era.

Man, eff those flying parts. Have to follow a plane while flying low to avoid radar, and then drive my plane into the back of another.

After finally getting all the way to end, after several tries, my PlayStation locked up entirely. :argh:

Never thrown my PS3 controller, but I came right close.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's weird, I thought the plane flying was fine. Just be gentle with the sticks. Tiny adjustments go a long way.

Now, helicopters, they can gently caress right off forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, unless you're playing as Trevor you're not going to be that great at flying since Michael and Franklin don't really know how to do it.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Maybe I just suck then. I was Trevor trying to fly into the back of the military cargo plane. I lined it up pretty well and then just before I reach it turbulence throws me off, I adjust. And miss it wide.

And yes, helicopters can dick right off too. I like the game, but it seems to be fill of tiny aggravating moments.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The trick is to use the rudders (R1/L1) most of the time when you're trying to compensate for turbulence. That will keep your plane level. If you try to use the stick that might throw you all over the place, especially if you aren't gentle.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

That's weird, I thought the plane flying was fine. Just be gentle with the sticks. Tiny adjustments go a long way.

Now, helicopters, they can gently caress right off forever.

I remember having tree pop-in problems on my 360 and it took me a good 4 attempts to do it. Was a really painful mission.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

RyokoTK posted:

The trick is to use the rudders (R1/L1) most of the time when you're trying to compensate for turbulence. That will keep your plane level. If you try to use the stick that might throw you all over the place, especially if you aren't gentle.

This is the best advice. The rudders are what you need to use almost more than the stick. They are for more precise turns because the stick will send you all over the place. My friend had to switch with me for a heist because he couldn't outmaneuver the jet trying to take him out of the air. Sharp turns are stick and rudder and knife edge turns are crucial as well in navigating. Skill level makes the controls more responsive and makes turbulence less of an issue too. I'm my crew's go to pilot now because of this. I did eventually teach that guy to pilot helicopters at least decently.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

MisterBibs posted:

edit: what drags down Afterlife is its mid-to-end game. Mid-game, your gameplay (regardless if you decided to build up Heaven and/or hell) consists of Build poo poo and AutoBalance. Late game, the constraints of building a big city makes Heaven suck and Hell awesome (because massive lovely cities are good in Hell).
I have unlocked the 'Love Dome' Buildings exactly once. :toot:

On the other hand I've unlocked Omniboulges plenty of times. :getin:

Heaven is hard to make correctly. I wish the maps were ever so slightly bigger, though the constraining factors do make proper construction more important.

Also you can just disable disasters, once you have enough money.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sardonik posted:

Heaven is hard to make correctly. I wish the maps were ever so slightly bigger, though the constraining factors do make proper construction more important.

Also you can just disable disasters, once you have enough money.

To this day I'm not sure if the reason why 90% of my Afterlife playthroughs were Hell Only because I was an edgy kid/teen or because Hell starts in the negative (people can get to things too quickly! your zoning is too diverse!) and becomes easy as gently caress later on.

And yeah, you can disable disasters, but that kills your Soul Rate (cuts it by half iirc).

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa hey sorry I affronted you, I've never watched any Star Trek or Star Wars stuff so I'm only guess/ assuming that they're the ones that don't have emotions.

Yeah, I know :thejoke: :v: etc

See Star Wars. You're posting on a thread about video games so don't act like you're too cool to see it.

For content, do any RPGs besides the Elder Scrolls use a skill XP system? The way it works is if you swing your sword a lot, your sword based skills level up. If you cast fireballs, your destruction magic goes up.

I remember in Morrowind my acrobatics skill was so high that I could jump clear over some buildings.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

The third penny arcade game has skippable dialogue and an insanely fun combat system that is well maintained throughout. The game is entirely combat, and it's fast and "puzzle-y". It's fun.

Yeah, it's by no means a problem with all RPGs, but it's common in ones with a lot of character/party customization.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

See Star Wars. You're posting on a thread about video games so don't act like you're too cool to see it.

Nah. I don't think I'm too cool to see it but boy howdy is it just not interesting to me.

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door has a ten item limit for your inventory unless you go through half of the Pit of a 100 Trials and get a key item that doubles it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

grittyreboot posted:

For content, do any RPGs besides the Elder Scrolls use a skill XP system? The way it works is if you swing your sword a lot, your sword based skills level up. If you cast fireballs, your destruction magic goes up.

I remember in Morrowind my acrobatics skill was so high that I could jump clear over some buildings.

Wizardry 8 used a similar system. Skills got better with use and you could spend points on them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

grittyreboot posted:

Final Fantasy II had that going on, but it's a massive outlier among the Final Fantasy games. The original version had skills depreciate with disuse, too, but I believe most of the remakes do away with that part.

It makes for a fun solo challenge, since after about the first boss (who's not hard for a regular party, but really hard for a solo) there's so much defensive training coming your way that you quickly become nigh-invincible.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Runescape does that, if ancient browser MMOs are your bag. :v:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
If you play Runescape I'll give you some stuff, just wear your best so I can see what to upgrade and meet me in the wildy

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I bought Freedom Planet due to feedback that it's pretty much the first 3 1/2 Sonic games. And for the most part this is correct. However I don't remember the old Sonic games having long cut scenes that brings the action to a screeching halt.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SirPhoebos posted:

I bought Freedom Planet due to feedback that it's pretty much the first 3 1/2 Sonic games. And for the most part this is correct. However I don't remember the old Sonic games having long cut scenes that brings the action to a screeching halt.

It started its life as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and boy howdy does it show because only modern Sonic fans would want so much inane dialogue and so many pointless ~original characters~ in a straightforward platformer.

The good news is that when you start the game you can choose to play in Arcade Mode, which excises all the cutscenes between levels.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

It started its life as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and boy howdy does it show because only modern Sonic fans would want so much inane dialogue and so many pointless ~original characters~ in a straightforward platformer.

This makes so much goddamn sense. Slowbeef did a video with the creators and voice actors a while back and they behave exactly the way I'd imagine people obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog would. See how loving far you get into that video. The gal that voices ~Lilac the Dragon Girl~ (original character do not steal) is especially obnoxious and she starts talking about 20 seconds in and doesn't shut the gently caress up

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Are there any good jrpgs that don't make you go through a half dozen menus to do stuff? That kinda brings the whole genre down for me, going through the game fighting against dialog menus. Baten Kaitos was pretty interesting in that regard combat seemed really fast. But even a traditional RPG could benefit from using like more button combos for shortcuts.

I don't mean to poo poo on anyone's favorite game or claim to be a pro twitch player or something, but going through dialogs and then having to watch a move for 3s, or an unskippable summoning cinematic just slows everything down.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fingerless Gloves posted:

If you play Runescape I'll give you some stuff, just wear your best so I can see what to upgrade and meet me in the wildy

Can you trim my armor, too???

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Witcher 3 has a grave robbing side quest where a npc laments that there is "no inscription, sadly" at the exact moment when the camera pans past the tombstone with a GIANT INSCRIPTION carved on it. Apparently the plot guys and the art guys aren't talking to each other.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edit: gently caress. I thought I was in "Favorite little things in games".

The very old Xbox game BREAKDOWN was a sci-fi first person brawler. You play as a guy who wakes up in a military hospital with amnesia and you have crazy future alien powers.
Even with these powers, the real aliens shove your poo poo in so loving far that you're constantly seeing brown.

Spoilers for a million year old game:

At the halfway mark you are escaping some big bad and your jeep crashes and the lady who is your guide dies.
You fall into the pit, I think and play the remainder of the game and it feels kinda empty.
That is until a chance run in with Solus (?) The main baddie and he kills you. I guess his power transfers to you on accident and you time travel to the scene with the Jeep as SSJ4 SUPER SAIJJIN GOKU and proceed to dominate the rest of the game.
(Sorry is my memory of events is scewed. The idea is right)

It's like getting a New Game+ a the mid-game checkpoint. I've never felt like such a badass in a game because the whole time previous I was thinking I would never be able to go toe-to-toe with anything but the most basic enemy.

Same that the game got critically panned because it wasn't Halo.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Aleph Null posted:

Wizardry 8 used a similar system. Skills got better with use and you could spend points on them.

If you're after a roguelike, Crawl's default skill setting relates XP allocation to activity.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sleeveless posted:

The good news is that when you start the game you can choose to play in Arcade Mode, which excises all the cutscenes between levels.

:vince: damnit, I wish I'd known that before!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

If you're after a roguelike, Crawl's default skill setting relates XP allocation to activity.

Of course no one ever actually uses that setting because just choosing what skills your XP gets allocated to is so much more efficient

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Brother Entropy posted:

Of course no one ever actually uses that setting because just choosing what skills your XP gets allocated to is so much more efficient

More fun, too. As realistic as it might be that you have to run a lot to get faster in Morrowind, the period leading up to it of running slowly is boring and it's more fun and satisfying to choose "gotta go fast" as a reward for punching a lot of skeletons.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: gently caress. I thought I was in "Favorite little things in games".

The very old Xbox game BREAKDOWN was a sci-fi first person brawler. You play as a guy who wakes up in a military hospital with amnesia and you have crazy future alien powers.
Even with these powers, the real aliens shove your poo poo in so loving far that you're constantly seeing brown.

Spoilers for a million year old game:

At the halfway mark you are escaping some big bad and your jeep crashes and the lady who is your guide dies.
You fall into the pit, I think and play the remainder of the game and it feels kinda empty.
That is until a chance run in with Solus (?) The main baddie and he kills you. I guess his power transfers to you on accident and you time travel to the scene with the Jeep as SSJ4 SUPER SAIJJIN GOKU and proceed to dominate the rest of the game.
(Sorry is my memory of events is scewed. The idea is right)

It's like getting a New Game+ a the mid-game checkpoint. I've never felt like such a badass in a game because the whole time previous I was thinking I would never be able to go toe-to-toe with anything but the most basic enemy.

Same that the game got critically panned because it wasn't Halo.

I loved that game right up until the point where white hair pretty boy was chasing me through a room filled with pipes and some had cranks it seemed like you needed to turn and I could never figure out what I was supposed to do.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Polaron posted:

I loved that game right up until the point where white hair pretty boy was chasing me through a room filled with pipes and some had cranks it seemed like you needed to turn and I could never figure out what I was supposed to do.

That part was awesome, navigating a maze of trip wires while judging how far ahead of the invincible bad guy you were by the sounds of him setting off the explosives you had avoided earlirr was tense and rad as hell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

darkhand posted:

Are there any good jrpgs that don't make you go through a half dozen menus to do stuff? That kinda brings the whole genre down for me, going through the game fighting against dialog menus. Baten Kaitos was pretty interesting in that regard combat seemed really fast. But even a traditional RPG could benefit from using like more button combos for shortcuts.

I don't mean to poo poo on anyone's favorite game or claim to be a pro twitch player or something, but going through dialogs and then having to watch a move for 3s, or an unskippable summoning cinematic just slows everything down.

Xenoblade? I'd recommend something from Namco but I don't know what your tolerance is on JRPG outfits. If it's high http://i.imgur.com/8wRhvTw.png I'd suggest Tales of Xilia since it's all active combat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sleeveless posted:

That part was awesome, navigating a maze of trip wires while judging how far ahead of the invincible bad guy you were by the sounds of him setting off the explosives you had avoided earlirr was tense and rad as hell.

Hello nostalgia!
Remembering that scene made my back tense up because of how stressful that section was. Goddamn. Make a sequel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen posted:

Xenoblade? I'd recommend something from Namco but I don't know what your tolerance is on JRPG outfits. If it's high http://i.imgur.com/8wRhvTw.png I'd suggest Tales of Xilia since it's all active combat.

Uh Xenoblade's combat is all about menuing and auto-attacking.