Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Previous stage:
It's done now, I think. I went in and reestablished highlights and shadows, and intensified the colors a bit. The area on the left of his hat looks darker than it will be when it dries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
demon fetus

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Keep on truckin.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

another psychiatric related painting amateur acrylic painting

major depression by s b, on Flickr

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple more studies in oil.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

DEO3 posted:

I haven’t had much time due to school these past couple months, but an upcoming miniatures show provided me the opportunity knock out a couple of pieces without much of a time investment needed.

"Speechless"
7x5 Scratchboard

"Fly High"
7x5 Scratchboard

Holy scratchboard, Batman. I tanked those assignments horribly. I take it you enjoy scratchboard?

My second semester of art classes is over. I'm about to start working in fracking in a job that will allow me to spend most of my time on artwork,
and I am going to treat it as a self-driven independent study period. For years, I don't know. However long it takes before I can start sharing characters and
stories in a strong presentation. Web graphic novel, perhaps.

Of my classes, beginning painting was one of them. This was the final, a cubism assignment on 38 x 50
(the print paper name escapes me), but it's really gesso, right. Acrylic (Novacolor). We were to base it on architecture from our
heritage, so I went full Korean (actually yes, sometimes you do go full Korean).

Included is the presentation speech I gave to the class. I... wept, like a lil' punkass bi-

I didn't see that coming, good thing it was the last day of class? I get teary-eyed when I look at it now.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 22, 2015

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Speaking of oils - what's the consensus on oil painting inside of an apartment? I live in a very small apartment but I miss my oil paints so much. I switched to gouache in college and it was OK for a while but I love the flexibility of oils. I guess theoretically I could just go and paint outside on nice days.

How's the fume situation typically? I remember being lightheaded after 5 hours in the oil painting studio and that room wasn't very big.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shnooks posted:

Speaking of oils - what's the consensus on oil painting inside of an apartment? I live in a very small apartment but I miss my oil paints so much. I switched to gouache in college and it was OK for a while but I love the flexibility of oils. I guess theoretically I could just go and paint outside on nice days.

How's the fume situation typically? I remember being lightheaded after 5 hours in the oil painting studio and that room wasn't very big.

Well you can get at least a little ventilation with an open window and/or a small fan. It might also to help to try odor-less turpenoid or gamsol instead of regular turpentine if you are having problems. Turpentine is noxious as hell so switching to an alternative should make a difference, not that I'm convinced turpenoid or other odorless spirits are 100% safe (they are still strong solvents after all) but they are definitely less intense. So that combined with finding some way to ventilate the space a little might be enough to make you feel better about painting indoors. I would definitely not linger in the room you paint in if that's an option, like don't paint in your bedroom just before bed.

Other than that not sure, I kinda figure most of the stuff I work with will probably kill me so I just try to take what precautions I can and then not worry too much after that. Maybe it's not the best answer but if someone has a better way to go about things I'd also be interested in hearing it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 23, 2015

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
One of the dangers with odorless turpentine is that you cannot smell it. You could be inhaling a lot of fumes after you've stopped painting, but not know it.
The cup I used to wash my brushes in smelt for several days after I got rid of the turpentine in it.

I'm pretty paranoid about it, so I've stuck to acrylics, even though it can get frustrating at times.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TheNBucket posted:

One of the dangers with odorless turpentine is that you cannot smell it. You could be inhaling a lot of fumes after you've stopped painting, but not know it.
The cup I used to wash my brushes in smelt for several days after I got rid of the turpentine in it.

I'm pretty paranoid about it, so I've stuck to acrylics, even though it can get frustrating at times.

Can't speak for all odorless mineral spirits but I've used turpenoid and while it's labeled odorless you can definitely smell it. Course even if you don't linger in the room when you aren't painting you'll obviously still be exposed to some extent while actually painting whether you smell it or not.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Can't speak for all odorless mineral spirits but I've used turpenoid and while it's labeled odorless you can definitely smell it. Course even if you don't linger in the room when you aren't painting you'll obviously still be exposed to some extent while actually painting whether you smell it or not.

I've seen people who paint using 5 brushes, and thus doesn't clean them till after the painting session is over. That way, you can clean your brushes with the turpentine somewhere more convenient afterwards.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I usually use turpenoid to thin out the paints while I'm painting anyways. I guess I can try some acrylics. They have all sorts of mediums to extend the paints, right? It's been a long time since I've used acrylic.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Check out Golden Open acrylics. They have a very long drying time, designed for oil working methods. You can get the base acrylics and then get some Open medium and that'll pretty much give you hours of working time. There are things like retarder medium and glazing medium, but they kind of suck compared to the Open stuff. Also don't bother with water-soluble oils, they're pretty gross.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shnooks posted:

Have you considered using alkyds? They're an oil medium/binder that you can use to thin and doesn't give off toxic fumes and speeds up the drying time to touch dry in about 24 hours, which I find really useful. They won't help you clean up though, so I just use oil and soap to clean out my brushes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Been posting this in the daily drawing thread but I realize it should go here instead.

Bronze casting.

Al Sprague is teaching me the process, and I hope to make a casting from a 3d printout soon.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Check out Golden Open acrylics. They have a very long drying time, designed for oil working methods. You can get the base acrylics and then get some Open medium and that'll pretty much give you hours of working time. There are things like retarder medium and glazing medium, but they kind of suck compared to the Open stuff. Also don't bother with water-soluble oils, they're pretty gross.

Something I was wondering about- what would you say are the advantages of oils at this point given that Open acrylics can kind of emulate the working time, without all the horrible fumes?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Avasculous posted:

Something I was wondering about- what would you say are the advantages of oils at this point given that Open acrylics can kind of emulate the working time, without all the horrible fumes?

Oils have much more pigment per volume than acrylics. Acrylics change color slightly when they dry, as well as shrink significantly. Oils do not change color or shrink much when dry, so they retain brushstroke and texture much better.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
A lot of what you're saying there is brand-dependent. There's a big diversity in acrylic paint quality. A good acrylic should not change color like that. They do shrink a bit, yeah.

As far as oils though, they are pretty magical to work with, and there's all kind of alchemy that people have practiced over the years with mediums and glazing methods and whatnot. Oils are very "forgiving" in how malleable they stay on the canvas. However I think there is an element of romance that just comes from how they feel to work with, and not from any objective advantage they have over acrylics. Nothing feels like oil paint.

Acrylics have come a long way even just in the past 10 years, they're worth taking a fresh look at if you haven't used them in a while.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've noticed color shift even with Golden. It's not huge, but it's something to be aware of if you intend to go back and rework a painting after it has dried.

I'm not knocking on acrylics--I use them myself.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
One of the reasons why I chose watercolor over acrylic was because I knew my lazy rear end would ruin too many brushes from not cleaning them thoroughly.

More coyote-related painting, this time a coyote skull:

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
I think I read somewhere that acrylics last way longer than oil paints, plus the fact that "fat over lean" doesn't really apply.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

A couple of my paintings are going to be displayed in a local art gallery - the first time any of my stuff has been shown in public.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
that second painting looks like what a migraine feels like inside my head.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Another illustration.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Boi Hole posted:

A couple of my paintings are going to be displayed in a local art gallery - the first time any of my stuff has been shown in public.

I'd hang these on my wall.

Hellbeard posted:

Another illustration.

Those space bus schedules are hard to figure out.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
I haven't painted with actual paint in far too long. In an effort to rebuild my confidence with oil paints, I completed this skull study the night before last.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beelzebub posted:

I haven't painted with actual paint in far too long. In an effort to rebuild my confidence with oil paints, I completed this skull study the night before last.

Soooo good. :)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

edit: crap, wrong topic

Here, have some sketches in conte.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

TheNBucket posted:

I think I read somewhere that acrylics last way longer than oil paints, plus the fact that "fat over lean" doesn't really apply.

Depends on your definition of "longer", also depends on the brands and pigments. The longevity of paint depends on 3 factors: ground, binder and pigment (+ environment). Ground is the surface you paint on and how the paint interacts/adheres. Binder is the medium you use: gum arabic (watercolour), casein (gouache), acrylic or oil. The binder changes in its properties over time. Oils can darken and acrylics can get brittle. What can start out as a very tough surface can deterioate. Pigments can range from lightfast to fugitive. You'll find that the cheapest and least stable pigments get used for markers and crayons and other mediums not intended to last. Artist's materials tend to do better but certain colours (reds, purples and oranges) tend to fade faster than others. But that also depends on how much sunlight it gets. Even delicate pigments can hold up well when in a sketchbook. On the other hand, use markers and you'll see them fade, blur and blot even if you keep them under museum conditions in closed books.

Lasting is pretty subjective. Depends if you are talking about "enough to sell to someone and get out of town"/over a lifetime/over centuries. Artist's materials should last minimum of 30-50 years if not exposed to direct sunlight but they will change a little. Jury is out on acrylics v. oils. I've heard of Magma paints getting flaky and Warhol acrylics peeling. Pollocks also have problem but that's because he used household paints and metallic paints as well as oils. Acrylics have only been around since the 50s or so. On the other hand, good oils have lasted over 800 years. But it depends on how you are using paint, what you can tolerate (fumes etc) and who/what you are painting for. How long's a piece of string etc?

Yeah, with acrylic "fat over lean" doesn't apply but a word of warning. The durability of a pigment to stay tonally constant in relation to other pigments is partly dependent on thickness and colour. Paint a thin wash of black over white and that will last fairly well. Paint a thin wash of white over black and you'll see the black coming through in a matter of a year of so. Even a medium layer of white over black undercoat will get darker over years. The takeaway? Thin layers of pigment fade faster than thick layers, all else being constant. So "fat over lean" isn't just a matter of drying and surface stability, it is also a matter of tonal stability. You want the top layer - basically how you see the painting in it's final state - to be the way it remains, so you want to avoid putting lean over fat (esp. pale washes over dark). (Unless you are glazing and that's a whole different issue.)

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
Just finished with my copy of Alphonse Mucha's Printemps/Spring, 1900. Acrylic, Acrylic Ink & Oil. 14"X18"

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

That is gorgeous. Can you give us a little idea of your workflow? I rarely hear someone use BOTH acrylic and oil. I assume the ink was the last step.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

That is gorgeous. Can you give us a little idea of your workflow? I rarely hear someone use BOTH acrylic and oil. I assume the ink was the last step.

Thank you. Generally I just start with the acrylic ink for most of the line work, and then start painting with acrylic. From there it's a little back and forth between the two. Oil is the last step as it's not really good to put anything that is water-based on top of the oil, and then I just redefine any of the ink lines that were lost with oil as well.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

:wink:

:wmwink:

details:

Troposphere fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2015

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Just a study I've been working on for a few hours. The figure is supposed to be leaning back in a chair with their head and neck propped against the wall, minus the chair. Took a while to visualize mentally the leaning back of the chair and how the body looks as a result. Going to convert the figure to canvas. Open to any criticism. The face was just for fun. It has been a while since I practiced sketching the human form.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Here's another one. Critique most welcome.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
i made some sort of abomination here it is thank you

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I AM ALL ABOUT THIS.

Hi I'm new, I just got back into drawing after many years of not doing anything. I just got back into class and I'm trying to learn different mediums. Any critique is welcome and I'd love to make some art friends. :)

Conte Crayon (lol what the hell am I doing)

Pencil and Ink

Charcoal

Pencil Sketch followed by ink lol anime eyes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 9, 2015

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
im a mess of loose sketching

edit: i have an awful habit of just getting the idea down so half my sketches look like trash but to me i see everything in place perfectly. its like capturing the essence before it goes away and filling in the details later.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 10, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hellbeard posted:

Here's another one. Critique most welcome.

Lighting seems off to me. If that one light is the only light source, then rest of the room should be darker vs. what is directly underneath it. Shadow under the arm could be darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

sigma 6 posted:

Lighting seems off to me. If that one light is the only light source, then rest of the room should be darker vs. what is directly underneath it. Shadow under the arm could be darker.

could be like how you have a light over a pool table so that your body isn't casting a shadow on the table since the other lights are on the ceiling and possibly behind you. If you are working on something it is nice to have a light right at the table so that you aren't casting a shadow on the table.