Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I did some baby back ribs for about 22 hours at 145 with some BBQ sauce in the bag. Took em out, put on some more sauce and grilled them on a grill that was 650 degrees. Super tender, but held together well enough that I didn't have trouble getting them off of the grill. Got laid off so I am trying all sorts of new fun things with my Anova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the sauce in the bag help? I imagine that it makes sealing it more of an adventure, but if it's worth it for flavour...

I always figured that BBQ sauce was just surface flavour, and didn't really penetrate the meat.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
Sealing honestly wasn't a problem at all. With all the juice the pork released I don't think it made a huge difference, especially since I added more to it when I threw it on the grill. However, I ended up reducing the bag juice with the BBQ sauce, and drizzled it over some green beans with a splash of tarragon vinegar. The grilled corn also benefited from it.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So which sous vide circulator should I buy? I could grab the Anova Precision Cooker off Amazon today for 180 or preorder the Wifi Nomiku for 200 and wait. Is the wifi-enabled/android app nomiku worth it? Is there really much value to using an app to control one of these things?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be honest I think the only useful feature about the Anova Precision Cooker's bluetooth is the ability to calibrate. I imagine that the wifi features of the nomiku will be equally useless.

Just get whatever's available. Hell, if you can get an Anova One for cheaper I'd go with that.

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!
The SousVide Supreme Demi is on sale at their website for $179 total with free shipping with coupon code DEMI179.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I just bought a boneless leg of lamb on a whim. What should I do with it?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Scinon posted:

The SousVide Supreme Demi is on sale at their website for $179 total with free shipping with coupon code DEMI179.

I wouldn't bother. Takes up too much room, doesn't circulate, and less capacity compared to the ANOVA/sansaire/etc.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I just bought a boneless leg of lamb on a whim. What should I do with it?

Cook it and eat it. If you use fresh herbs in the bag just roll them in plastic film so you don't get herbed hot spots in the meat.
Maybe butterfly it so it isn't too think to cook to center in a safe amount of time.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Hmm, so put some seasoning on it and increase the temperature for a while? I will let you know if this crazy plan of yours works.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Hmm, so put some seasoning on it and increase the temperature for a while? I will let you know if this crazy plan of yours works.

Or go medieval on it and boil it with no seasoning.

Sous Vide lamb shouldn't be different from any other large cut or roast, just apply lamb-synchronous flavoring and pick a time/temp that matches your preferences. Do you like you lamb bloody or well done? Rosemary and Garlic would be good, but you may not want raw rosemary and raw garlic up against the meat when cooking this way, or can get too intense where it touches the meat unless you put a little cling film around it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scinon posted:

Don't buy this under any circumstances.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Don't buy this under any circumstances.

Yeah, I've got one that I still use as a secondary, but I can't recommend it in light of any of the actual home circulators that have come out in say, the past four or five years.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I've got one that I still use as a secondary, but I can't recommend it in light of any of the actual home circulators that have come out in say, the past four or five years.

I have the original sous-vide supreme, and it's prefect for what it does but I would never buy another one in in favour of a real circulator. Especially since they cost the same.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I have a Demi and several ICs, and I actually think the Demi would be preferable for many people simply because it's a compact self-contained appliance. I have a much easier time selling the sour vide concept when it doesn't involve messing around with cutting holes in Cambros or setting up ICs in pots and pans. I suspect most GWS members would prefer the versatility of an IC, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know, it has a huge footprint but lacks actual water volume and lack of circulation. Those same people who would prefer the Demi also probably will have a bunch of other single use worthless kitchen items like a breakfast sandwich maker.

"Setup an IC as if you were going to boil water, but don't turn the stove on!"

or

"Setup the Demi as if you were going to boil water, but it's your pot and stove!"

I can see how the latter can sound better, but it's just rhetoric implying it has more versatility when it actually has less.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How long do people generally feel vac-sealed stuff is keepable in the fridge after cooking? Does it vary a lot by type of food? I'm looking to build up a collection for a few weeks that I can reheat faster than from frozen, probably steak/short ribs/salmon.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Surprisingly long. I had a burger that I forgot about, in a zip lock, even, that was still good after about two weeks in the fridge.

Real answer: experiment with it. If it smells funky, throw it out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bob_McBob posted:

I have a Demi and several ICs, and I actually think the Demi would be preferable for many people simply because it's a compact self-contained appliance.
It also has no moving parts. Several people have pointed out that it isn't a circulator as if that's a negative. It is not. If anyone wants to come up with an actual real world situation where the difference in performance is relevant I'd love to hear it.

From an engineering standpoint I think the existing crop of ICs are probably ICs only because they're low-end copies of ICs used in a laboratory environment (where the difference in performance of an IC and something heating via liquid convection is relevant, and where the liquid is not necessarily water). For home cooking you'd probably be better off, from a maintenance standpoint, getting rid of the pump entirely and using a larger heating element (like an aquarium heater).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The solution, really, is just to get one of every kind of sous vide system.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

quote:

It also has no moving parts. Several people have pointed out that it isn't a circulator as if that's a negative. It is not. If anyone wants to come up with an actual real world situation where the difference in performance is relevant I'd love to hear it.

I concur with this. I have a PID with a crock pot, and water distributes heat so well that (at least in a system with a large heating element like a rice cooker or crock pot) once it hits target temperature I've never noticed more than 1°F difference in temp anywhere in the water.

The only downside is that you don't get to watch your meat swim around like fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBfr7X4w3hM

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 14, 2015

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Demi's footprint isn't really all that different from the Cambros everyone likes to use anyway. I appreciate that I can use a little pot to cook a few eggs if I want, but the main reason I have the IC is for the versatility of using larger containers when necessary. I don't think anyone is describing the Demi as more versatile since it clearly isn't. Sous vide is niche enough as it is without telling people they need to order a Cambro and cut holes in it or leave a pot of sloshing water out on their counter covered with foil. A silent self-contained device is a useful option for many people.

I'm not saying the Demi is a better sous vide device. I rarely use mine anymore and I already said most goons would probably prefer an IC. I just think it has a place in the market and tends to be ignored for silly reasons.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bob_McBob posted:

I have a Demi and several ICs, and I actually think the Demi would be preferable for many people simply because it's a compact self-contained appliance. I have a much easier time selling the sour vide concept when it doesn't involve messing around with cutting holes in Cambros or setting up ICs in pots and pans. I suspect most GWS members would prefer the versatility of an IC, though.

My first SVS Demi was replaced for corroding through the water bath. The second isn't far behind. They stopped answering my emails when they replaced it and the second one began corroding.

I own a Sansaire and I stick it in whatever. You don't need a lid for most cooks. It's thousands of times nicer than the SVS.

SubG posted:

The Demi's bath is anodized aluminum and the rack is stainless steel. It galvanically corrodes itself. The moving parts are more durable.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
That's my main issue with the Demi as well. I think we shared photos way back in the thread. There are various other non-circulating water baths available, though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah, mine also started to corrode, although so far its mostly that bottom perforated thing more than the actual walls of the unit itself.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The walls come next.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Then your soul.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Fortunately my soul isn't stainless.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

If it smells funky, throw it out.

Sous veni, sous vide, sous vizzle: If it smells funky, throw it out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Finally, I get a chance to post in here! I've been considering giving Sous Vide a try for a while now, but being poor kept being in the way. Until today, when I finally just brute-forced it. Got a deep-fryer with a very selective heat knob, and a cheapo thermometer, and calibrated out 140 degrees, then used some ziplock vacuum-seal bags to prep a small piece of steak. I wanted to really taste the difference, so I didn't marinade or sear the first steak, just a little salt. It was pretty interesting! For my next one, I'm thinking about marinading in a homemade barbecue sauce I made last week, lots of vinegar and brown sugar.

Also, I've got a question here. I've seen mention of chefs finishing off a sous vide steak with a blowtorch, has anyone tried it? Would they recommend it over a white-hot pan or grill? And if so, what all kinds of torch fuel would be recommended? I have a small propane torch, and can probably dig up a little butane one, but I'm not sure if it would affect the taste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only use a torch for foods that you can't sear in a pan. A screaming hot pan will give you a far superior sear every time.

MAPP Pro seems to be the torch fuel of choice these days, although propane works too it's just not as hot.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm trying to work out pulled beef with brisket. My butcher was out of chuck so I went with brisket and I'm doing it at 65C for 2 days. Sound alright?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Anyone have thoughts on oil vs butter for pan searing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Anyone have thoughts on oil vs butter for pan searing?

Clarified butter is probably best. Butter has ~20% water, which will interfere with your sear, and milk solids, which just tend to burn. Or just use oil with a high smoke point.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Clarified butter is probably best. Butter has ~20% water, which will interfere with your sear, and milk solids, which just tend to burn. Or just use oil with a high smoke point.

So are you the real Gordon Ramsay or what? Your answers to cooking questions are always accurate and useful.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
Yeah, if you don't use clarified butter, regular butter will start burning before you are done searing.

Since I don't usually have clarified butter handy, I usually sear one side with oil, and when it's time to flip I drop some butter in there and baste it with a spoon until the other side is done searing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clarified butter is nice, there's also the Serious Eats method of spooning butter over the top of a steak with a blow torch for a quicker sear.

IMO for SV use something with a higher smoke point, you're only looking for a sear so more heat is better.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cyxx posted:

Since I don't usually have clarified butter handy, I usually sear one side with oil, and when it's time to flip I drop some butter in there and baste it with a spoon until the other side is done searing

this is the correct answer

caramelized milk solids taste nutty and delicious, I wouldn't use clarified butter unless I had a really good reason - like trying to match some indian flavor profile in a dish that didn't involve browned butter or whatever. start with neutral oil, get your presentation sear, flip, knob of butter in, and baste for the flavor win.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://hackaday.com/2015/02/07/brewing-beer-with-a-sous-vide-cooker/

How bad is this for the thing, or how hard is it to clean to use for food again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wouldn't think cleaning for food use would be hard, since it doesn't come into contact with food.