Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Unrelated note: if you're playing an HQM pack on anything approaching a large server, you've probably heard about people in parties having their progress wiped. I've been working on Blightfall with Talonos and that's certainly a thing. HQM is a garbage fire with disinterested devs, so I had to make this to fix that bug with coremod fuckery. https://github.com/CannibalVox/NoTimeFix/releases/tag/2.0.2

Share and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Unrelated note: if you're playing an HQM pack on anything approaching a large server, you've probably heard about people in parties having their progress wiped. I've been working on Blightfall with Talonos and that's certainly a thing. HQM is a garbage fire with disinterested devs, so I had to make this to fix that bug with coremod fuckery. https://github.com/CannibalVox/NoTimeFix/releases/tag/2.0.2

Share and enjoy.

You're a goddamn saint. This bug completely stopped my group's progress on blightfall, and we were having a lot of fun with it aside from that. We noticed it only happened on shutdown-- was having a pending invite really the cause? How does that even work?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ptroll posted:

You're a goddamn saint. This bug completely stopped my group's progress on blightfall, and we were having a lot of fun with it aside from that. We noticed it only happened on shutdown-- was having a pending invite really the cause? How does that even work?

No, the pending invite thing was me fixing a bug in the fix.

The issue is uh, the word I used in IRC was "Seussian".

Let's say you have a completed quest in your book. The quest completion is marked separately for each player for some reason. I'm not sure whether it always marks it under the group owner or for whoever looks at it or what. But let's say you have a quest that's completed but not marked as completed for one or more team members, for some reason. This is a real situation that can occur. For some reason.

Then you shut down the server, start it back up, and it tries to read in the player data. So it reads in a member of the team who doesn't have the quest marked completed for them. For some reason, after loading this player it goes through the quests in their book to see if any of them should be marked as completed, but aren't. For some reason.

So it sees this quest that another team member completed but rewards haven't been claimed for and it says "oh this thing's ready to be marked completed, but it isn't, so let's mark it completed!" So then it chooses right then to save the team data back out. For some reason.

But rather than just fail because the file's locked, first it has to grab all the team data, including the total number of lives of all team members. It has to get this from the team members themselves. It saves and loads the total number of lives on the team to the file, but when it wants to know the number of lives on the team it looks at the players. For some reason.

So it's iterating all the players on the team to get their lives except we're halfway through loading the file so some of those players aren't there. That's okay, when you try and get questing data for a player who isn't stored yet, it just creates a blank player without any data and puts them in the registry and then gets the number of lives from them, which is wrong, because we just made this data up, it didn't come from anywhere.

So then we finally get to loading the teammates and it loads all their data from the file and then goes "oh they're already here in the player registry, I guess we'll just THROW ALL THIS DATA OUT AND LEAVE THEM WITH THE DEFAULT DATA FOR SOME REASON".

And then multiply all this poo poo by the fact that I'm looking at it in the form of lovely decompiled code because these assholes refuse to open their source to anyone

HOLY
poo poo

I loving HATE

HQM

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Winners use NPC quest mods instead. :whatup:

Seriously, I'm drat impressed you went to all the effort trudging through that garbage code just to work out a bug they couldn't be bothered to fix in their own mod. Sounds like, in short, that on top of lots of really poorly handled checks, the main problem is that it creates dummy placeholders, treats those as actual players, and then refuses to let the actual players take their place later. This is some mind-bending logic, so it's pretty incredible you managed to make sense of it at all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
That sounds like some truly, truly awful code. I've done enough programming to know the jist of what's going on with it. Like 10 completely backwards things are happening.

I'm betting ALL of the code is like that. It would sure explain the severe lag from looking at the questbook sometimes, and why it will freeze you or lose all your progress when converting old HQM data to an updated questbook.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 22, 2015

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

For some reason, the Technic launcher is recognizing my java as 32 bit (I have 64 bit installed). Reinstalling java didn't fix it, and I can't update OMP-i only being able to allocate 1 GB max.

I had to go in the launcher settings and switch that all around again to make it stick, have you fiddled with which it uses and how much memory it gets?

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots
Hi All,

I've seen a few people mention the starting tool level system in OMP-i, and how use tools more to level up, start with flint, etc.

However, I just want my normal starting progress back. Which mod does this so I can disable/Delete it?

Cheers

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Iguana Tweaks.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TrenceJ posted:

Hi All,

I've seen a few people mention the starting tool level system in OMP-i, and how use tools more to level up, start with flint, etc.

However, I just want my normal starting progress back. Which mod does this so I can disable/Delete it?

Cheers

Kind of pointless given the normal vanilla tools are working in the later versions now, but yeah, Iguana Tweaks.

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots

StealthArcher posted:

Kind of pointless given the normal vanilla tools are working in the later versions now, but yeah, Iguana Tweaks.

Thanks for that, However, I had only downloaded the pack about a hour before I posted, (2.0.0_3_1) so slightly confused why my Vanilla stone pick could not mine Iron. But oh well, I'll fiddle with the configs.

Next question is this.

This is my first experience with 1.7, and the fact I now no longer have to mess around with ID conflicts is quite nice. However, i'm guessing there is some kind of internal list correct?

I only say this as I took the pack and dumped it into MultiMC, as I always do, And it all played fine (thats when I noticed the tool issue) However, After adding a couple of mods (Ancient Warfare and RemoteIO) upon creating a new world, I had soul sand for grass/dirt, Netherrack trees (and mushrooms) with lava leaves, and enderstone replacing stone. However, you could see very small parts (maybe an 8th of a chunk) that were generating normally randomly all over the place.

Is there something I need to reset to get things to generate correctly in 1.7?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

man i wish iguana tweaks wasn't so insanely imbalanced for progression because it has so many other useful features

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Also is there any launcher that gives a way to search modpacks that isn't hot garbage?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

man i wish iguana tweaks wasn't so insanely imbalanced for progression because it has so many other useful features
Every part of it is configurable.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah but very few modpacks take advantage of that, and lord knows how I'd get 10+ people to do something more complex than "download this launcher and click on this pack".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I was so angry at a mod pack that used IguanaTweaks, mostly because I didn't know how to use Tinkers' Construct. Baby's First Space Race changed that. I was still annoyed at it in OMPi because even though it was fun to build up my tools, I got frustrated with there being just so damned many tiers. That is, until someone in this thread posted that you can cook iron in a furnace and get steel, thereby skipping to near the top of the tech tree.

In OMPi, is there anything that lets me build faster? Man it would be sweet to build a wall with one click.

Also, what's the easiest way to be able to fly?

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots

BJPaskoff posted:

My personal favourite is with morph.

Set early flight to be enabled in the config, then go kill a bat.

Not only flight, but being able to fit in 1x1 holes is quite handy when fiddling with hidden pipe systems in your base.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hell making a hidden hamster run to your *real* base should be your utmost priority.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
where are hamsters in omp-i, i've never seen one

E: Also is there any way to place lava in the world automatically besides dispensors in omp-i? What's the simplest way to automate a Thermalily farm?

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 22, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

30.5 Days posted:

HOLY
poo poo

I loving HATE

HQM
That is an ugly rear end data flow. I don't know a ton about MC modding, but it seems pretty silly to store quest progress in the player file when they can be shared like that. Seems to me that Team should be the business object (with solos being a Team of one) and the data saved somewhere more central.

Bummer the mod is such a mess, because IMO the idea behind it has the potential to be a foundational change in modded MC. (Is there a central repository of HQM mod tutorials yet? Because there should be.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Acne Rain posted:

where are hamsters in omp-i, i've never seen one

E: Also is there any way to place lava in the world automatically besides dispensors in omp-i? What's the simplest way to automate a Thermalily farm?

MFR fountains can do it, as can Thaumcraft arcane spas. Both can have liquids pumped directly into them.

Speaking of pumping liquids, there's a recipe conflict in the latest OMP where trying to make temperate fluiducts makes Magneticraft copper pipes instead.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I was so angry at a mod pack that used IguanaTweaks, mostly because I didn't know how to use Tinkers' Construct. Baby's First Space Race changed that. I was still annoyed at it in OMPi because even though it was fun to build up my tools, I got frustrated with there being just so damned many tiers. That is, until someone in this thread posted that you can cook iron in a furnace and get steel, thereby skipping to near the top of the tech tree.

In OMPi, is there anything that lets me build faster? Man it would be sweet to build a wall with one click.

For faster building, try the builder's wand. It requires some materials that are a bit...exotic though. Or cheat one in, in which case there is a second, better creative one to cheat in for yourself.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

HOLY
poo poo

:stare:

Seussian is right, my god. So many baffling decisions along the way-- I can't believe the devs wouldn't fix this. That's consistent with what we saw, though-- me and a teammate who played the most were locked out of the original team (that I created), while another player who left midway through and came back was still in the original team. The dummy data explains why it looked like I was still in the original team, despite being orphaned. Jeez!

In any case, thanks again for the fix-- I don't usually ragequit stuff but trying to figure out what the hell was happening to our quest progress put me in a bad place. I'll test it out and see if it can salvage our game!

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How did you do this? I suspect I should probably do this for the BFSR release.

There's a config file named splash.properties, open that up and change enabled=true to false. That should do it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to run a minecraft server for me and some friends. I have spigot to make it run better, are there any simple must-have mods to enhance but not really overhaul the game?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Must-Haves that add no new items or game abilities at all:
- NEI (Not Enough Items) is a big one to save you the hassle of having to remember recipes.
- Mousetweaks and Inventorytweaks add control shortcuts and sorting options that make basic crafting and item management much faster and less click-intensive.
- WAILA (What Am I Looking At) is a highly customizable mod that adds a little pop-up tooltip whenever you mouse over a block, giving you lots of useful info about it, such as whether the tool you are currently holding can mine that block effectively, and is super super interactive with other mods.

Mods that add a few new things but nothing revolutionary:
- IronChests, which just lets you sink your excess metals into making chests with larger inventories.
- Journeymap or Voxelmap will add a nice minimap to the corner, remember mapped terrain as you explore, and allow you to add waypoints to it, either is very nice.
- EnderStorage lets you color-code your ender chests so you can have a variety of linked inventories. This is the mod that inspired Mojang to add Ender Chests to the base game.

Mods with somewhat larger impact but still don't change the basic nature of the game:
- Tinker's Construct, a mod that allows you to mix-and-match parts to make customized tools, so you could have a pickaxe with an iron tool rod, a steel head, and an obsidian binding. Different part materials all have different properties, and there's tradeoffs you can make between durability, mining speed, etc. It's very cool.
- Pam's Harvestcraft adds new plants to farm and new foods to cook. They don't add any special abilities, but now you can adventure into the nether stocked up on PBJ sandwiches or pizzas instead of a sack of steaks. Also adds some fruit trees so you can grow an orchard.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will come up with many I missed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

This is why I generally turn off the dumb leveling system entirely. I love swapping tool heads and stuff like that, but I hate starting off with 0 modifiers and having to dig thousands of sand blocks to upgrade my shovel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
In OMP-i what's a black liquid you can't swim or drown in? I've found it twice now, and have no idea how to get rid of it, because you can't use a bucket on it. The only way seems to just cobblestone it in, but that's a lot of work.

vvv: Thanks!

e: It's galacticraft crude oil.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

In OMP-i what's a black liquid you can't swim or drown in? I've found it twice now, and have no idea how to get rid of it, because you can't use a bucket on it. The only way seems to just cobblestone it in, but that's a lot of work.

Walia has a hotkey for a config menu that gives you the option to ID liquids. Try pressing numpad 0, that's the default button for it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

And then multiply all this poo poo by the fact that I'm looking at it in the form of lovely decompiled code because these assholes refuse to open their source to anyone

HOLY
poo poo

I loving HATE

HQM

I had second thoughts about HQM after I have pretty much had invested all this time into making a quest book. I looked up the project site to see what it would take to turn the quest book format into something like JSON so I could edit all the text externally. The in-game editor is fine enough for adding things, but it's quite tedious to make changes. It is also tedious to review everything and make sure I was using "there" instead of "their" like I seem to be doing now. Then I saw it was closed source, and they were rejecting suggestions that I would have been down with. With what you're saying, now I just assume they just serialize some crap to disk and aren't putting much thought into the data format at all.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha you would be WRONG, my friend! No one can accuse HQM's data format of being UNDER-engineered. No, HQM's format is binary, but as I learned while chasing this issue, it is extensively bit-packed.

This means that a Boolean (true/false) value doesn't occupy 8 bits as it does in memory, it occupies 1 bit. And it doesn't add padding to get realigned when it hits an 8bit value like old timey sub-byte data did, SO YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE TEXT IN THE FILE WITH A HEX EDITOR BECAUSE NINETY PERCENT OF IT IS NOT BYTE ALIGNED.

I really can't express how much I hate this mod.

That said, a rewrite is supposedly in the works that has json format data, fixes all problems, shits rainbows. An early prerelease is being used for the latest AS beta and jaded cat says it's real good, but I also know that jaded has accepted the (false) explanation that this progress wiping bug and various performance issues are only a problem for large servers.

To be honest, after dealing with lorddusk, who's the only HQM Dev who even contributes anymore,I don't believe it's possible to fix HQM without open sourcing it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

30.5 Days posted:

To be honest, after dealing with lorddusk, who's the only HQM Dev who even contributes anymore,I don't believe it's possible to fix HQM without open sourcing it.

I wonder if it's a thing where people who know that they would be left in the dust if they open sourced their stuff are the one that badly needs to have their stuff open sourced.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Haha you would be WRONG, my friend! No one can accuse HQM's data format of being UNDER-engineered. No, HQM's format is binary, but as I learned while chasing this issue, it is extensively bit-packed.

This means that a Boolean (true/false) value doesn't occupy 8 bits as it does in memory, it occupies 1 bit. And it doesn't add padding to get realigned when it hits an 8bit value like old timey sub-byte data did, SO YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE TEXT IN THE FILE WITH A HEX EDITOR BECAUSE NINETY PERCENT OF IT IS NOT BYTE ALIGNED.

:dogbutton:

What is this 1980 and we're trying to save bits to get more data on our punched tape?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

Ahhhh hahahaha.

Hardcore Questing Mode: Coming to a demoscene near you!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

I wonder if it's a thing where people who know that they would be left in the dust if they open sourced their stuff are the one that badly needs to have their stuff open sourced.

I don't think it's anything so calculated, I think they're just afraid to expose a job badly done to other developers out of embarrassment. What I wish I could explain is that that exposure and the advice and collaboration that follows is how you get better and your defensiveness is why you're loving up to begin with.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

I don't think it's anything so calculated, I think they're just afraid to expose a job badly done to other developers out of embarrassment. What I wish I could explain is that that exposure and the advice and collaboration that follows is how you get better and your defensiveness is why you're loving up to begin with.

I kind of reminds me of when I was running a telnet BBS and was in to that scene a little. People were trying to get door game authors to release source to their stuff so they could get updated for TCP. They all were terrified because it was some poo poo code they wrote as teenager.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Truga posted:

vvv: Thanks!

e: It's galacticraft crude oil.

I hate it with a passion, and I've no idea how much gravel I've spent to get rid of it. It helps having the builder's wand, of course, but still.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Holy dicks whyyyyy does VoxelMap for 1.8 require Liteloader? I can't get the drat thing to run with my multiMC instance because with it enabled, it doesn't pop up the multimc crash report, but does have this at the end of the forge log: http://pastebin.com/V9Yn9ibM

If I disable liteloader, everything starts fine. JourneyMap hasn't updated for 1.8 apparently, and from what I can find it looks like Rei's isn't getting updated at all anymore. Oh wait, if I dig through the end of the Mapwriter thread, there's a sort of beta update for 1.8. I'll give that a shot.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Is there any way to prevent Railcrafts lovely water spawners from generating, short of removing the mod itself?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is there any way to prevent Railcrafts lovely water spawners from generating, short of removing the mod itself?
Oh boy, now this I haven't heard about. What water spawners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Somebody earlier in the thread suggested I mention oil fabricators in BFSR to fuel the rocket. I guess they didn't manage to run into any of the oil laying around. I never heard of it before, but I was about to punch it in to the quest book. I see it online, but it doesn't come up in NEI nor in the MFR configuration. Was it recently removed?