Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

To be clear, mana tokens last as long as one of your turns, i.e. a hand of cards. (There is also 'a round', which is one night or one day, going through your entire deck.) Mana crystals last forever but you cannot have more than 3 of a given colour, and never gold or black.

Also:

Opopanax posted:

Ok hopefully I'm getting the hang of this and this works

Don't worry about it! MK is a game with a whole fuckton of rules and edge cases and whatever else, it can take a while to get the hang of it. That's exactly why I wasn't about to try to throw you guys into a game with vets. If you need to ask any questions absolutely feel free to yell in the thread or in my inbox.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, the latest picture only shows two skills in the common offer, does the Ritual of Healing that Arythea didn't pick not go into the common offer?

Edit: No joke, just ask Stelas how many PM's I've been bombarding him with trying to understand how combat is supposed to work! :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, the latest picture only shows two skills in the common offer, does the Ritual of Healing that Arythea didn't pick not go into the common offer?

At the time, Arythea hadn't chosen her skill yet. When I update hands I don't tend to update the whole map, because processing a 20Mb .png kind of sucks. It'll appear next update.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that map is pretty detailed, I don't even want to imagine how much work you have to put into it each turn. :sweatdrop:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ahh, that makes more sense. Ok just the last half then

Opopanax posted:

Then use swiftness and Rage sideways to move to the mine.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Perfect! Well, since Wolfhawk isn't using those White Mana die, I'll Challenge the orc horde beside me, and tag one to power Mana Bolt, for a 6-damage attack. I'll have to take two wounds, since I can't block it's attack, but I will kill the monster and gain a level, as well as restore my reputation back to baseline.

:getin:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

tag one to power Mana Bolt, for a 6-damage attack.

You still need to pay the blue mana to actually use the spell, first! (Note the mana token symbol to the left of the effect.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh, I misread, I thought it meant that the mana I play to power it can be of a different color, whoops! In that case, let me get some clarification then, when Ritual Attack says "Throw Away" another card, that means it's gone for good, right? As in, I won't get it back next round? If so, I'll just call for an end of round and not play anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, Mana Bolt is a very powerful attack but very spendy in terms of mana. And yes, 'throw away' removes a card for good.

Update in a bit!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that map is pretty detailed, I don't even want to imagine how much work you have to put into it each turn. :sweatdrop:

Ten seconds or so. :toot: I've got this process pretty well automated.

The End of Round has been called! Any player can do this by giving up their turn when they have 0 cards left in their deck. Everyone else gets only one more turn, and then the round ends.

It is Goldyx's Turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 4 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 2 deck.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5 hand, 3 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 2 hand, 0 deck. - End of Round called!
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | City Status | Site Reference | Unit Reference

Stelas fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 21, 2015

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

To add to that

1.You're able to declare End of Round when you run out of cards in your deck but you aren't forced to do so until you run out of cards in both your deck and your hand! So if you think you can squeeze out a few more turns with just the cards in your hand then feel free!

2. Declaring End of Round takes up your whole turn so no doing anything else when do you that! (the first few games of Mage Knight i ever played may or may not have been over really fast because we didn't know this part of the rules and some people playing fast and loose with their decks.)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

2. Declaring End of Round takes up your whole turn so no doing anything else when do you that! (the first few games of Mage Knight i ever played may or may not have been over really fast because we didn't know this part of the rules and some people playing fast and loose with their decks.)

Right! That's why in my initial moves, I didn't declare the end of round, because I thought I would be able to off those pesky orcs. I decided that the Reputation and Level from defeating them would be better than one less turn for everyone else. When it turned out I was mistaken, I went with my plan B.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

After very little consideration, I will play March and enough Stamina cards to move NE one hex and explore/reveal the next tile.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You can't explore the tile: if you move NE once, you will have moved from a space adjacent to the orc on the right to another space adjacent to it, which means it will forcibly end your movement, and fight you.

(Roaming orcs and dragons are the only ones that do this.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Fine, I'll just engage the orcs. Rage plus sideways Stamina for 3 Block against its attack, then use my red crystal for powered Rage to kill it, yes?

Can I then move and explore the tile, or is exploring the same action I used to engage?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Exploring isn't an action in and of itself, but you aren't allowed to move after an action. However, you can move to the glade, have the orcs attack you, then take it down normally from there. (Probably beneficial, since then you're on a glade.)

e: That too, yes.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 23, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Also, the orcs have physical resistance. They halve physical attack.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

berenzen posted:

Also, the orcs have physical resistance. They halve physical attack.

That's the Ironclad. He'd be fighting the diggers, who have fortified.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stelas posted:

Exploring isn't an action in and of itself, but you aren't allowed to move after an action. However, you can move to the glade, have the orcs attack you, then take it down normally from there. (Probably beneficial, since then you're on a glade.)

Let's go with that then.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, you'll want to use one of the Red Mana Die, not your crystal. You can pull one for free each turn, and that will let you save your crystal for later, when you might need it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx takes down an orc, gets 2 Fame and 1 Reputation for the honour, and levels. On odd numbered levels, you don't get a skill and an action - you get a command token instead. This gives you an extra unit slot, and increases either your hand size or your armor rating. In this case, Goldyx's armor rating goes up to 3.

Also, since I'm nice, I'm going to assume that Goldyx uses his crystal generation skill before he runs out of turns this round.

^^^ Also a good point!

It is Arythea's turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 4 hand, 0 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 2 deck.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Gonna use my Diamond Ring to get a white crystal, a white mana and 1 fame. Use the white mana to power Song of Wind for Move 2. Play stamina to bring me up to move 4. Move NE, E, NE to knock on the Keeps Door and say hello.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Could someone give me a stupid person's breakdown on mana and the source? Because I feel like I'm not getting something with it

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

From what I understand, Mana works like this:

There are three forms of Mana, Die, Tokens, and Crystals.

Die are the six mana that are rolled inside the source. They are available to all players, last through the entire round, and short of a special ability you can only take one per turn. Each time you use a mana die, you reroll it and return it to the source for the other players.

Tokens are short-term mana points for one player. Special abilities can allow you to grab mana tokens, which you can then spend on your turn. However, a token only lasts for one turn. If you play a card that lets you pull a token, you must use that token on your turn, because at the end of your turn you lose it no matter what.

Crystals are long-term mana storage. Crashing a crystal mine or using an ability that creates them gives you a mana point that you can spend whenever, and hold as long as you like. This is only applicable for the four main colors, there are no gold or black mana crystals, and you can only hold three of each color at most. They are the most valuable, because they last as many turns and rounds as you need them to, and are only usable by you.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The Source is mana that you can draw from once per turn. It's the die pool. There are additional ways to draw mana, such as the card Concentrate or through mana crystals. These do not count toward drawing from the source.

Edit: captain bravo describes it better than I can on my phone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thanks, I think I get it now

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Map now includes a rerolled red die for Circlmastr's turn.

Important Note: Please ignore the shaded spots on the water. You're actually allowed to explore much wider than that, to the edges of the image. That is, Wolfhawk can explore to the east and Goldyx could explore NW of the remaining orc.

So I'm going to break down Arythea's move real quick because it's an interesting one. Song of Wind gives 2 move but also reduces the cost of moving on plains and deserts by 2. An extra Stamina bumps it up to 4 Move, and then:
  • A move NW into the desert for 5-2 = 3 move. This has to be done rather than E-NE-NE, because the orc would stop her going that way.
  • A move E into plains for 2-2 = 0 move.
  • A move NE into the keep, which sits on plains, for 2-2 = 0 move. However, there is a wall in the way which costs an extra move to get over = 1 move. A grand total of 4.

Anyway, the keep reveals some swordsmen. Because of the wall and the keep, they are double-fortified. Not even Siege will work on them.

Arythea (berenzen) - 3 hand, 2 deck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone please check your hands are what you expect them to be, I did a minor gently caress-up in the other thread.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

poo poo. Didn't realize that double fortify meant that I couldn't seige. Was gonna blow em up with my monks and improvisation.

Chump 1 attack with monks, take the next. Pull the Red die to power Battle Versatility and play Rage unpowered for 6 attack. Kill, level and curse myself for missing that rule. Luckily, my hand size and my armour are more now.

E: Wrong card

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 23, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Not sure what you meant with monks + improv, but note that adding Attack to Siege Attack doesn't give you more siege, and you can use Siege/Ranged as regular attack when you can't (or don't have enough) Siege/Ranged.

e: you meant Battle Versatility instead of improvisation, didn't you? I had your hand for a bit :)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

rchandra posted:

e: you meant Battle Versatility instead of improvisation, didn't you? I had your hand for a bit :)

Yeah, meant battle versatility. Coulda mana pulled to get 6 siege attack with it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea takes over a keep. Keeps are deceptively useful - they might not give you anything when you take them over, but as long as you're adjacent to one or on one you get a boost to hand size of +x, where x is the number of keeps you've taken over. Having a big network can be really useful!

Arythea also levels, picking up a command token.

It is Wolfhawk's Turn.

Arythea (berenzen) - 4 hand, 0 deck.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Do I need to pay a movement cost to fight that monster or can I just initiate battle with him now?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Nope. You can attack it without moving onto it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cool, I'm probably way off with this but I suppose it's the best way to learn.

Grab the white dice from the source, which I use to power up Swift Reflexes to use a ranged attack of 3. Determination to block 2, and Mana Draw sideways for the extra attack I need. If I'm reading this right that'll let two damage through which should dash against the rocks of my armour.

Concentration to take a white token and Crystallize to...well, crystallize it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Attacks and Block are all-or-nothing. You either kill it all in a combat turn, or block it all in a combat turn, or nothing at all. So since you don't have enough ranged attack to kill it in one go, that ranged attack becomes a normal attack. Since you don't have enough block to block it all, your block is useless, you can't play it. Your ranged attack and normal attack will stack in the attack round, so you can still kill it. And, since your armor value on your character sheet is two, you'll only take two damage despite not blocking anything.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh crap, i need at least one more attack than his armour, don't I?

I'm confused about why my block wouldn't work though, it looks like he has 4 attack and I am using 5 block

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Determination is only Block 2.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Also, Wolfhawk is by the summoners, right? you'll face a mysterious (often very vicious) attack first, if you can't make Ranged 4.

Armour is a little confusing. When an attack hits you, you take (damage / armour) wounds, rounded up. So an attack for 1 or 2 when you have 2 armour is one wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Bravo posted:

Determination is only Block 2.

Oh! right, I changed my plan around a couple times, I mixed myself up there.

Can I do the same plan but play determination sideways for the extra attack I need?

• Locked thread