Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Anyone have any tips for Lords of Xulima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

juliuspringle posted:

What's the difference between night and day in State of Decay?

I believe the zombies are just "more active" at night, whatever that means. Maybe more likely to wander or more spawns?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I believe the zombies are just "more active" at night, whatever that means. Maybe more likely to wander or more spawns?

I was wondering because it seemed like there were more of them at night.

For that mod you mentioned earlier. In simple terms, what does it do. I read the page about it before I installed it but I didn't really understand much of it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ummm... Significant changes I can think of off the top of my head:

Vehicles no longer take damage from ramming regular undead, only if they grab on and beat on the car
Ammo can stack in player inventories higher than before
Many of the weapons from Lifeline were added to the base game
Silencers last longer
You can specialize in weapons per skill type, not just one overall (Though some of the specializations come later)
You can build more types of facilities in bases, including scrapping external parking slots to put in things outside (very risky though)
Killing zombies in an area will reduce their population there for a bit, allowing for you to 'thin' areas out, but there's more overall spawns to compensate
Outposts will trickle in resources even after they're depleted
Some vehicles got more cargo space.
People with important skills (I.E. Doctor, Mechanic) won't leave the base and get into trouble (thank god!)

It's really meant to add more to the 'Breakdown' mode, but it's nice for the base game as well.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2015

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is Breakdown just sandbox? I've been waiting to play it because I assumed it was a storybased addon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've never played it myself but from my understanding it's pretty much just sandbox with an 'Increase difficulty' option that causes the entire area to reset and tick up all of the sliders a bit more.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Taerkar posted:

I've never played it myself but from my understanding it's pretty much just sandbox with an 'Increase difficulty' option that causes the entire area to reset and tick up all of the sliders a bit more.

That's the gist of it. You can only take 5 characters with you when you reset but you get to keep everything in your storage locker. Resources reset to zero and if you want more survivors you have to find them again. There are certain challenges you can complete to get special survivors and any with perform X amount of actions also reset back to zero. Once they are unlocked and you go save them you don't have to redo the challenge.

A good idea is loading up the survivors you take with weapons and items that have a high influence so you can put them back in the stash after the reset to get a nice influence bonus.

I would also find a mod that auto locates the RV after a set amount of time. Searching for it is nice the first few times but that mother fucker can be EXTREMELY well hidden. I think I spent 5 hours only searching for the RV at one point.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

limp_cheese posted:

That's the gist of it. You can only take 5 characters with you when you reset but you get to keep everything in your storage locker. Resources reset to zero and if you want more survivors you have to find them again. There are certain challenges you can complete to get special survivors and any with perform X amount of actions also reset back to zero. Once they are unlocked and you go save them you don't have to redo the challenge.

A good idea is loading up the survivors you take with weapons and items that have a high influence so you can put them back in the stash after the reset to get a nice influence bonus.

I would also find a mod that auto locates the RV after a set amount of time. Searching for it is nice the first few times but that mother fucker can be EXTREMELY well hidden. I think I spent 5 hours only searching for the RV at one point.

Also there is an exploit that you can use to take up to 20 persons when you load the RV, making moving to a new location trivial....now if they just fixed the inability of assigning snipers to the watchtowers.

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008

Gyshall posted:

What does this thread have for Dead State in terms of character builds, priorities, etc.

This is a bit late but heres what I picked after getting back into it from the new Reanimated update.

Your stats are the things that will change very little in game. So pick what kind a role you want your character to play in combat. Melee will want decent Strength and Vigor at the least to deal and take damage as well as be able to use heaiver armor and weapons effectively. Ranged will want Agility and Precision since guns generally require alot of action points to use and ammo is a luxury at the early to mid game, especially higher caliber ones so you don't wanna be missing. A jack of all trades stat won't be too crippling however.

Skill wise you can be more flexible as doing things you need to do to survive will give you a trickle of them throughout the game.

Melee will of course help in combat, a few points here at start or your first early gains won't hurt even if your playing a less active role in the front lines. Range depends on if you want to do guns, but you'll get early allies who can fill that role. Leadership is mostly wrangling in any issues in the shelter from other survivors (and you will get plenty of them.) This generally is used to avoid mood or morale losses from complaints and generally lay down the law when arguments break out. Its use in combat are the "orders" you can give during the milestone choices. Negotiation is useful in lowering the amount you might have to "bride" a whinny survivor and also for any issues, much like leadership. Medical helps with healing and some issues involving medical expertise. If your making yourself a battle medic, you'll want a good number in here but if not you'll find others who can fill the role. Science is all about crafting once you get a lab up. I don't know how useful it is, but it seems you can upgrade weapons and make unique armor later on with it. Its also used to disable alarms that some buildings have. Mechanical is also used in crafting, but mostly handy to lock pick doors. Survival lets you move faster on the world map and gives chances at finding harvest nodes. The group will use the highest ranking among the party to calculate this.

Early on, once you get the work board and fix the fence. You want to repair the fridge to help preserve fresh food. After that, the wooden fence or watch tower are good choices as early on you'll get allies who will want those built. The recycler is a good early build as well, to break down unneeded armor items and weapons for parts to build more upgrades. Chicken Coop and Garden will help with early food needs. Stick to exploring the area around your shelter as the encounters there tend to be easier.

Try and be back at the shelter before 8, otherwise the party will get the "fatigued" debuff which hurts their stats. You can make them guzzle a energy drink to get rid of it if you really need them in the field that day.

Noise is deadly since the update. Zombies are now far more sensitive to it and prone to investigating now. The "spawn zombies on map edges" during loud spurts of it is also more far more aggressive, so if you get into a fight that makes alot of noise (gun fire mostly, but breaking down doors as well) either be ready for more zombies (or possibly humans) or have a bug out plan.

Taking in every new survivor, especially early game is going to put a strain on your food so be ready to raid for it.

Being nice to people with "Sub-leader" trait will save you headaches, as they'll lend you support during crisis' even if their against the choice you made which greatly softens morale loss.

Blunt for zombies. Blades or guns for humans. Remember this. However learn to spot what armor type human opponents are wearing, they'll get the same benefits as you do from it. Leather jacks offer slashing protection, ballistic vest from bullets, bike helmets from blunt, etc. Try to have everyone carry a blunt and a blade weapon.

Two handed weapons like the sledge hammer can attack diagonally, this is great for corner attacks or narrow kill zones with someone blocking a one tile entry way and someone else smacking the target freely.

Even with no points in leadership, your character will have the "GO!" order. Look for a megaphone icon in the lower left. Using it lets you make a party member of your choice go after you. Helpful to say, have a melee juggernaut finish off a dangerous opponent or letting someone in a bad spot flee. Orders cost no AP to use can don't seem require line of sight or any distance requirements.

That's the basics as far as I can think of. I'll see about posting more if needed.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the page for divinity 2 should be revised, the line that says 2 handed swords are the best and bows suck is just flat out wrong and misled me for several hours. please remove it

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Pengu! posted:

Anyone have any tips for Lords of Xulima?

- Maces and Hammers is the best weapon group because its secondary effect can stun and also drops enemy turns lower down in the initiative queue. Wounding from Axes can make an enemy eventually miss and lose a turn, but you have to stack a large amount of Wounds to have the same effect as Maces and Hammers. Bleeding from Swords is decent, but there are better sources for that effect. There aren't any unique weapons in the game so you won't be missing out on found gear if you don't take all the weapon styles. Basically, take Maces and Hammers on all your melee guys who can equip them.

- Shurikens on a Thief are godly. They'll sometimes be your main boss killer even in late game. Buy them often and buy a lot. Use them whenever you need to get pass a dangerous enemy.

- The game expects you to buy most of your gear in towns rather than find them in the wild. Gear is random and level dependent and the material quality gets better as you reach later towns. It's better to buy rings and amulets that increase multiple stats in the early areas because it doesn't matter what kind of material they are made of, other than increasing the price.

- Speed is THE stat. I increased it every time on all my characters, even spell casters. For warriors, Strength is the other key stat. Agility isn't as important to them, you should only take as much as you need to equip your weapons. Weapon Skill will handle accuracy for you.

- Gaulen has the Knowledge of Herbs skill which greatly increases the amount of stat boost herbs found in the game. If you want to maximize your gains, don't pick any plants (other than the food plants) until you have 30 points in Knowledge of Herbs. Just mark out their locations on your map and come back to them later. The increase will definitely be worth it.

- Also mark out locations of food plants. The first areas have enough regrowing food plants to fill out your food stores so you'll never have to spend money on food if you're careful. You can also pick grain inside the first town, which will cover the guard toll cost of getting in and net you some small profit.

- The game is quite hard early on. Rest often when you have to. There were times when I'd have to rest after every battle because the fights were that intense.

- If you find an area with enemies you can handle, wander around and grind out that location until you clear it to get the experience bonus. Conversely, if an area is too hard, move on to an easier area and return to it when you're better leveled.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Science is all about crafting once you get a lab up. I don't know how useful it is, but it seems you can upgrade weapons and make unique armor later on with it.

The Apocalypse armor was surprisingly underwhelming, especially considering how much science you needed to craft it. I think I put it on once to get some mileage out of it after all that hassle, but it wasn't extraordinarily better than the heavier armors I already found by that time.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Taerkar posted:

How can you tell if that mod is working? Everything seems the same to me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

How can you tell if that mod is working? Everything seems the same to me.

Take out more than 30 rounds of the same type of ammo. If it shows up as 2 separate piles in your inventory it isn't working. The mod raises the maximum ammo stack to 255.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Scratch that. Ammo is limited to 150 in your inventory though.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 23, 2015

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I had two stacks of 30 bullets in my inventory. What do I do? I was pretty sure I unzipped the mod where the instructions said to. Did I need to also download that file it said I didn't need to run the mod?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I had two stacks of 30 bullets in my inventory. What do I do? I was pretty sure I unzipped the mod where the instructions said to. Did I need to also download that file it said I didn't need to run the mod?

It's been a while since I've installed the mod but you might have to start a new game. Otherwise try installing it again.

It's possible the mod doesn't work with story mode. Once again it's been a while since I used it/played the game so I'm just guessing here.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It does work with story mode.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Anyone have any good guides for Stardrive 2? We dont have a goon thread for it, seeing as Zero threw a hissy fit in here last time we had a Stardrive thread, and the official forums are a cess pit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

A few things I've noticed while playing Stardrive 2:

Beam weapons (Those that actually say beam) might look a bit weak at first compared to the cannons, but they do their damage repeatedly as a 5-second beam before recharging. However that also means they suck down that power cost constantly during that beam time so you can't easily carry a lot of them. There's a couple of upgrade techs that specify 'Particle Beam'. They only affect these so only get them if you want to use them. As far as I can tell their only advantage is that they can hit even after missing initially. The damage falloff is HARSH.

Make sure you have enough energy capacitance for all of the energy weapons to fire. Your designs might be power-positive, but if the weapon needs 500 to shoot and you don't have 500 capacity, it'll never fire.

To move population around you drag them around the empire management screen.

If you get a quest from a hero make sure you do it fairly soon. If another hero gives you a quest it apparently overrides the first one.

Watch out for long periods of pollution on a planet, it can lead to an event that reduces the effectiveness of farming on that planet.

Yes, there is terraforming tech, but it comes in very late

I've found that if you want a forward-focused weapon, you can give the mounts on the sides the arc extend without the damage + trait and they'll have 180 degrees of fire.

Disruptor Cannons are *REALLY GOOD*

Each race gets 3-4 special techs while the rest of the experimental techs are chosen from a list. You can kinda guess what they are by the icons provided.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 24, 2015

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ok, most of those things were things i had picked up from the first game, with a the bit about firing arcs being new. Where do i get the experimental Techs?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The experimental techs are the bottom-right ones on your research screen. They're unknown until you finish them and include:

A couple of things that can increase happiness on a planet
The Temple of Brutality that gives the Pox promotion (Doubles melee damage dealt and received, good for Kulrathi)
The Hall of Heroes (Free heroes, faster recruitment)
A building that gives +1 research plus an additional +1 for every one you build
Planetary mines to supplement defenses

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Nice! Ok thankies :)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Got new games for my birthday! What should I know for Jet Set Radio, Saint's Row 2 and Factorio?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Sociopastry posted:

Saint's Row 2

Each activity (except races IIRC) has rewards it offers you upon completing level 3 and level 6 in that location. If you pick your activities right you can end up pretty nicely kitted out early in the game.

SMGs are buzzsaws of death. Against normal opponents, other weapons are basically a waste of time. (Except shotguns I guess, which fall under Awesome but Impractical by comparison).

Don't focus on one gang storyline at a time. Spread it out. If you stick to one until its done then the pacing just falls apart.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Don't focus on one gang storyline at a time. Spread it out. If you stick to one until its done then the pacing just falls apart.

I disagree. I would suggest doing the Sons of Samedi first, then the Ronin, then the Brotherhood.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

On the other hand, I agree, and I played it either way. Spreading out and just doing whatever was way more fun than rigidly sticking to one storyline after the other. You don't get huge jumps from "complex end-of-arc mission, huge reward" to "introductory mission for small change", for one.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sociopastry posted:

Got new games for my birthday! What should I know for Jet Set Radio, Saint's Row 2 and Factorio?

If you can play Saints Row 2 Co-op with a friend, then play it that way. It is not balanced for co-op at all, but in hilarious ways. Literally everything can be done co-op.

I'd also argue that you should do a bit of each gang rather than going straight through one of them, at least initially. If one of the gang story missions grab you then feel free to focus on them, but until that point mix it up a bit.

Story missions are gated behind "Respect". Some people really hated this, but I tend to dick about in open world games, doing side stuff so I never found it an issue at all, because you gain respect from doing basically everything. The most efficient way of getting respect I believe is Activities (side stuff basically), with the added bonus that each one has a reward at level 3 and 6 of the activity. Do a few of them and you gain enough respect that you never have to grind for it AND have a bonus like infinite ammo on shotguns or something.

Saints Row 2 has, hands down, the best character customisation of any game in the saints row series and possibly of all time. If you want more shops/clothes for your boss there is a shopping mall in the middle of the city which is not marked on the map. One Sons of Samedhi mission takes you there, but its really late on, if you are bored of your clothes and want somewhere else to browse around look up the location online.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Cliff posted:

I disagree. I would suggest doing the Sons of Samedi first, then the Ronin, then the Brotherhood.

Spreading around is best, but there will be a point in the Brotherhood line where you're going to power through to the end regardless because Worf is a dickhead.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

If I uninstall State of Decay and the mod (I assume it will uninstall when I uninstall the game itself) and then reinstall the stuff that should ensure the mod works right? I've decided to just dick around with Breakdown so any tips getting that going would help since I'm used to the main game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Hog Inspector posted:

the page for divinity 2 should be revised, the line that says 2 handed swords are the best and bows suck is just flat out wrong and misled me for several hours. please remove it

Thanks for the heads up - I've removed that tip.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The campaign is a tutorial. You can hold f to pick stuff up while running, combinations of shift and ctrl and alt while clicking do different things, I believe you can alt-click to remove all or if you're holding a stack shift click puts half in, this makes it easy to run down a line filling everything

The thread has great build ideas but part of the game is figuring it out on your own, it's easy for someone to spoil half the game by giving you an efficient layout. Solar is way better than steam at the moment because low pollution is king, that goes for efficiency chips too

Research to electricity asap

Don't ignore the biter bases and build mass defense, it's better to clear them out early around your base once you get armor piercing. If you do that and also keep the pollution down you might never see them

The car is too weak to be worth building, the tank is good

Early game, you can build two coal miners pointed to each other and the coal will go in each other's inventory then you can just run by and empty them like free chests, this goes for iron miners feeding into a furnace too, just keep it stocked with coal

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ok so, with that mod in Breakdown if I hit a Juggernaut with a truck the truck won't take damage right? Because if that's so than the mod isn't working for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

juliuspringle posted:

Ok so, with that mod in Breakdown if I hit a Juggernaut with a truck the truck won't take damage right? Because if that's so than the mod isn't working for me.

I think theres a bug in the base game where if you back over zombies it doesnt do damage to the car. just do that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sociopastry posted:

Saint's Row 2

I'm going to assume you're playing on PC, in which case the Gentlemen of the Row Mod is absolutely mandatory. Beyond "just" fixing a good deal of the crappy port issues, it stuffs even more content into the game, mostly in the way of clothing and vehicles, and has a number of optional fixes for common annoyances like vehicle handling, controller prompts, etc.

juliuspringle posted:

According to Taerkar's post up the page, the mod only removes impact damage with regular zombies, presumably not Juggernauts.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 24, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I started playing The Witcher. The first one, not the new one. Anything that's not on the wiki? I feel like in battle, I'm just waiting until my sword turns to fire and then I'm clicking again.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I'm going to assume you're playing on PC, in which case the Gentlemen of the Row Mod is absolutely mandatory. Beyond "just" fixing a good deal of the crappy port issues, it stuffs even more content into the game, mostly in the way of clothing and vehicles, and has a number of optional fixes for common annoyances like vehicle handling, controller prompts, etc.

According to Taerkar's post up the page, the mod only removes impact damage with regular zombies, presumably not Juggernauts.

poo poo, I forgot. I'm right in thinking that I need to go get survivors before I can start my own base though right?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

I started playing The Witcher. The first one, not the new one. Anything that's not on the wiki? I feel like in battle, I'm just waiting until my sword turns to fire and then I'm clicking again.

you've got it. The multi-enemy style is awesome for almost the entire game, as is the fire spell. Don't feel bad if you get to act 4 and want to shut it off, 2 is much, much better

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

That's it. That's the entire game. I would suggest turning on the hardest difficulty so you have to utilize your potions. If you're not feeling it a few hours in then don't push it you'll only hate yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

Aard is a great sign. At its higher levels, it become a non-lethal shotgun that can stun multiple enemies, allowing you some breathing room. Also, if you attack a stunned enemy, there's a chance you'll get an insta kill off on them.