Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Whenever a good translation is out, someone link it, please. This is unreadable. Reminds me of those Assassination Classroom scans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They're from the same site.

The good translations will come later.

(Welcome to the world of speedscans)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Blhue posted:

Haha, commenters on the mangareader site I used were angry that a fight in a Jump comic was over in one chapter and that was a bad thing apparently.

After the grueling current One Piece arc, It's the greatest thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also this is a sanctioned fight with refs between children. They almost shouldn't have let Midoriya's fight go on for so long, much less one between another pair of kids who could lay waste to the stadium if they so wished.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am satisfied with this turn of events.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Powermanga's translations

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

This is much, much better and makes Bakugou more likable.

This page was perfect. I also like how(and I couldn't tell this in the other translation) even Deku is on Bakugou's side as far as wanting Todoroki to fight for real goes. Man, what a great chapter. What a great manga, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man. Todoroki's fire side flaring up, ready to meet Bakugou, then the flashback to his mother and it going out, consequently resulting in him being annihilated... That's pretty rough, jeez.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Oh man. Todoroki's fire side flaring up, ready to meet Bakugou, then the flashback to his mother and it going out, consequently resulting in him being annihilated... That's pretty rough, jeez.

Whoops, I'd actually missed exactly what happened in that panel so thanks for pointing that out. I think that was a good resolution to the tournament because they all have something to work through now. Also I'm glad it didn't linger because this manga is too fun and interesting to be bogged down for long in a tournament.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The first match of the tournament (Midoriya VS. Shinsou) started at the end of Chapter 32, so the whole thing lasted about 12 chapters. Good pace.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 23, 2015

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Bakugou is gonna sacrifice himself for Midoriya when the time comes. Dumb gut feeling. This manga goes from 1 to dead serious pretty quick.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Bakugou tries to save Midoriya from drowning in an inch-deep river.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I hope bakugou inherits one for all

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Everyone in class A (and class B too, I guess) should take a strand of Deku's hair, then eat it at the same time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blhue posted:

Haha, commenters on the mangareader site I used were angry that a fight in a Jump comic was over in one chapter and that was a bad thing apparently.

Honestly, I've found the last few fights rather underwhelming too, though it's less because of the length and more because of the content. All the last few fights that we've seen have been either extremely brief or extremely simple, mostly both. The Iida fight being especially bad I think, because it's his first real fight in the manga and Todoroki takes him out in literally seconds with a single move. And that was a semi-final. He didn't even get to do anything in the fight apart from jump forward. It seems to have been underwhelming by design though, both to emphasize the various kids weaknesses or problems and to get it out of the way as quick as possible since it's all about emphasizing those things so I suppose I can't complain too much.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

Honestly, I've found the last few fights rather underwhelming too, though it's less because of the length and more because of the content. All the last few fights that we've seen have been either extremely brief or extremely simple, mostly both. The Iida fight being especially bad I think, because it's his first real fight in the manga and Todoroki takes him out in literally seconds with a single move. And that was a semi-final. He didn't even get to do anything in the fight apart from jump forward. It seems to have been underwhelming by design though, both to emphasize the various kids weaknesses or problems and to get it out of the way as quick as possible since it's all about emphasizing those things so I suppose I can't complain too much.

It's because the author isn't using the fight scenes as huge spectacles, they're meant to move the story along and develop the characters. He's done the same in his older works - there isn't any massive, drawn out fight scenes because it isn't as important to show off special technique no jutsu for 10 pages. Other comics, especially Jump comics, do it to draw out the storylines and for visual flare (and at some points, like DragonBall Z, was threatened with being fired if he didn't continue).

There is one point where there's a large story arc filled with a lot of little fights between the cast and the enemies, but it's never longer than a chapter or two per set of characters. That's just how his has always been. Even the end of his one story had maybe 2-4 chapters to wrap up the entire thing, including the fight with the last big boss.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder who's surprised a tournament in a shounen series went off without a hitch.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The tournament was already a quarter of the manga. It was sometimes terse, but the alternative would have bogged the story down badly.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who's surprised a tournament in a shounen series went off without a hitch.

Well we still have the closing ceremony for things to go wrong.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Guys, tourney's not over. Winner of this round goes on to face the winners from the other grade levels.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mystic Mongol posted:

Guys, tourney's not over. Winner of this round goes on to face the winners from the other grade levels.

While you re technically correct, it will be over soon. Hero Killer and friends are bound to crash the party now that the Freshman tourney is over.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would they seriously jump a stadium full of super-powers people?
Last time they got beat up by about three heroes and some school kids.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That...wasn't thought out very well on my part. At the very least, I cannot see the story focusing very much on the rest of the tournament. I think Hero Killer is going to take our attention away from the proceedings one way or another.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Since the Hero Killer has been contacted by the Villain Alliance guys I guess we're probably getting to the All Might death arc sooner than I thought.

...Come on, you gotta be thinking that. It's getting deathflaggy as hell. You think they're gonna have more than 2 "Villain Alliance tries to kill All Might" arcs? Standard stakes raising dictates it; I mean it's kinda early to potentially off a student.

I actually really hope it isn't the death arc yet, All Might is awesome.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd like to see an arc where the world at large witnesses the death of All Might at the hands of the Villain Alliance.

That said, who the hell is this skinny dude that Yuuei got to substitute for All Might's classes? Come to think of it, he was there when Midoriya got hosed up after his fight with Todoroki back during the athletic festival. Oh god, did he just cough up blood? Call an ambulance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I would legit kinda prefer that sort of take on it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Thats the way it has to be. Killing the Symbol of Peace, to throw the world into disarray.

It's just gonna suck a whole bunch :smith: I love All Might.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zeruel posted:

Thats the way it has to be. Killing the Symbol of Peace, to throw the world into disarray.

It's just gonna suck a whole bunch :smith: I love All Might.

Judging by Deku's vision at the tournament, even if he gets struck down he can just Obi-Wan the hell out of the rest of the series.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

[tinny voice] MIDORIYA, MY BOY

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I could totally see someone showing up to kill All Might, wreaking all sorts of havoc to draw him out, and him just never showing up. Because he can't. Because he has completely lost his powers. And whatever Scrawny McPointychin does in response to that, the idea of All Might will die.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How ironic that the blinding Symbol of Peace can also double-duty as a really great spy. If only All Skeleton can realize that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Gyges posted:

Judging by Deku's vision at the tournament, even if he gets struck down he can just Obi-Wan the hell out of the rest of the series.

Or, with the help of the rest of the class, Midoriya and Bakugou can pull a Weekend at Bernie's.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

was drawn in by frog girl, read entire run so far in two days, very glad this exists.

it took me until i re-read the first few chapters to realise that All Might's V hair becomes his bangs when he's in skeletal form.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ZiegeDame posted:

I could totally see someone showing up to kill All Might, wreaking all sorts of havoc to draw him out, and him just never showing up. Because he can't. Because he has completely lost his powers. And whatever Scrawny McPointychin does in response to that, the idea of All Might will die.

That'd be even more tragic, honestly. People screaming out, asking where All Might is, and you just see the dejected face of an old skeleton of a man who can't even lift himself from his bed, or some such.

One of the strengths of the setting is that it really does feel committed to superheroics as a generational thing. Probably helped that it's a manga series and thus the whole thing is primarily about a single overarching story, rather than a multitude of concurrent stories about characters so 'iconic' they're no longer allowed to properly develop. But either way, I do genuinely feel for whenever All Might is gonna be forced into retirement, rather than expect it to be undone in two chapters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Astro Nut posted:

That'd be even more tragic, honestly. People screaming out, asking where All Might is, and you just see the dejected face of an old skeleton of a man who can't even lift himself from his bed, or some such.

One of the strengths of the setting is that it really does feel committed to superheroics as a generational thing. Probably helped that it's a manga series and thus the whole thing is primarily about a single overarching story, rather than a multitude of concurrent stories about characters so 'iconic' they're no longer allowed to properly develop. But either way, I do genuinely feel for whenever All Might is gonna be forced into retirement, rather than expect it to be undone in two chapters.

It's already inevitable, as he already said.
It's gonna be a slow process and the threat is legitimately always there, and I believe the writer could pretty much do it at any moment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The trick is how the class, then the world finds out that Midoriya is All Might's successor.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That would presumably be his graduation depending on the time scale the manga works on and also its ending

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

The trick is how the class, then the world finds out that Midoriya is All Might's successor.

Don't they already kinda know?
The real secret is One for All.

I'd like it though if Mido did something spectacular that All Might would be 'Yeah kid's got it pretty much in the bag I'll just go die/retire quietly'.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Don't they already kinda know?
The real secret is One for All.

I'd like it though if Mido did something spectacular that All Might would be 'Yeah kid's got it pretty much in the bag I'll just go die/retire quietly'.
Not really. All they know at best is that All Might sorta dotes on Midoriya because they see their quirks as being similar. Ignoring the whole One For All thing, they don't know that All Might has literally tapped Midoriya as the new "symbol of peace".

There's kinda two ways they can go; either All Might dies and Midoriya has to build himself as this symbol from the ground up, or the world finds out that All Might has chosen him as his successor (without revealing OfA of course) and he has to rise to the title with a gigantic bullseye painted on him.

I'm kinda thinking the latter will happen since it's a pretty easy source of conflict. Everyone from heroes to villains are going to want a piece of Midoriya then.

Also my kingdom to Horikoshi if he can do this whole manga without a significant timeskip. Please, dear god, no timeskips. They're really really bad in shounen and everyone needs to stop doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder how Bakugou will react if/when he finds out that Deku got his powers from All Might. Dude can barely handle the fact that he has powers at all, let alone the powers of the greatest super hero in the world.