Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pope Guilty posted:

All I can see is obsolete copy protection.

Why would you post that and not dial-a-pirate

Haha there's a working web version here that you can click on to turn: http://www.oldgames.sk/docs/Dial-A-Pirate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why would you post that and not dial-a-pirate

Haha there's a working web version here that you can click on to turn: http://www.oldgames.sk/docs/Dial-A-Pirate/

I never had any Lucas Games as a kid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I never had any Lucas Games as a kid.

I borrowed The Eidolon from a class mate and couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The era where CD burners had become widespread but Steam hadn't completely caught on yet was a hell of a thing. I bought Hitman Contracts on launch day and the CD check wouldn't pass on my PC. To get it working I had to image the CD, mount it in a virtual drive, and install some special software for tricking SecuROM. Each time I wanted to play, I had to shut down and physically disconnect my optical drives or else the copy protection would still freak out. I put up with this for about a week until I just downloaded a warez release off Usenet that worked without hassle and thought "Well, at least the box looks nice."

There was basically a span of several years where you were punished for buying a game instead of pirating it, with the publishers whining about piracy killing them all the while.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There was basically a span of several years where you were punished for buying a game instead of pirating it, with the publishers whining about piracy killing them all the while.

See also DVDs with unskippable adverts and studio logos, while the torrented rips take you straight to the movies.

also blurays with 50 pages user agreements and updates, just to play a Disney movie.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

There was also Region Coding Enhancement which attempted to stop discs being played in multi region players. If you did try to play the disc in a multi-region player, it would display a picture of a map with some text explaining how you were a bad person for buying a product.

I only encountered it once (one of the early seasons of Always Sunny, I think) and fortunately my multi-region player didn't give a poo poo and played it anyway. I didn't buy any of the following DVDs though.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

spog posted:

also blurays with 50 pages user agreements and updates, just to play a Disney movie.

I personally dislike that blu-Rays update trailers etc one of the great things about revisiting old VHS movies is watching the old trailers.

It's part of the charm.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BattleMaster posted:

Does that still happen? I thought (hoped) that Starforce and its ilk were obsolete and failed technology.

I don't think it does anymore, no, thank god. Definitely obsolete, and definitely failed technology.

e. in fact, say what you will about piracy, but I've always had a certain respect for the cracking community. I've always loved those cracks that were released / announced before software even went retail - or cracks that launched the same day as the games/applications themselves. It makes me imagine grand schemes where trenchcoated nerds exchange pre-released copies of software in empty parking garages in the middle of the night, to go home to a dimly lit apartment, hunched over a workstation, working away at getting out that 0-day crack. :v:

And of course, being a C64 junkie, the intros were completely freaking awesome. I remember groups doing similar stuff with Windows releases, but it just never had quite the same charm [great music though]

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 17:29 on May 22, 2015

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I remember that in the late 90s-early 2000s walkie-talkies became really popular for families to as a way to keep in contact in large public areas like theme parks and the like. I don't think that they worked that well, and they were quickly replaced by cell phones, but it was a neat concept.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Hell, for a brief period some cell phones had a walkie-talkie function. I'm not sure if anyone actually used it, or how it worked, but it was advertised heavily in commercials.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

I don't think it does anymore, no, thank god. Definitely obsolete, and definitely failed technology.

e. in fact, say what you will about piracy, but I've always had a certain respect for the cracking community. I've always loved those cracks that were released / announced before software even went retail - or cracks that launched the same day as the games/applications themselves. It makes me imagine grand schemes where trenchcoated nerds exchange pre-released copies of software in empty parking garages in the middle of the night, to go home to a dimly lit apartment, hunched over a workstation, working away at getting out that 0-day crack. :v:

And of course, being a C64 junkie, the intros were completely freaking awesome. I remember groups doing similar stuff with Windows releases, but it just never had quite the same charm [great music though]

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/27/the-man-who-broke-the-music-business

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Konstantin posted:

Hell, for a brief period some cell phones had a walkie-talkie function. I'm not sure if anyone actually used it, or how it worked, but it was advertised heavily in commercials.

Walkie-talkie functionality and AM/FM tuners are two features that every cell phone should have but they don't because the cell phone companies want our money :smith:

loving kills me.

Worst part is most phones could do both with existing hardware but its disabled in software.

Digital Walkie-Talkies could actually give you a pretty good signal, I bet. Anybody ever make some of those?
All the old ones were analog and so had some pretty bad interference.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I remember that in the late 90s-early 2000s walkie-talkies became really popular for families to as a way to keep in contact in large public areas like theme parks and the like. I don't think that they worked that well, and they were quickly replaced by cell phones, but it was a neat concept.

I used to see a lot of international tourists using PMR446 walkie-talkies inside malls, parks, etc

Hell of a lot cheaper than paying for international roaming on a pair of phones.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

I used to see a lot of international tourists using PMR446 walkie-talkies inside malls, parks, etc

Hell of a lot cheaper than paying for international roaming on a pair of phones.

construction guys too since the phones that included those features were usually huge plastic tanks

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I worked at a construction company 2006-2008 and our engineers used it constantly.

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Bobby Digital posted:

I worked at a construction company 2006-2008 and our engineers used it constantly.

My work still insist on having phones with a ptt function. It severely limits the phones they can choose from and no one uses it anymore anyways. They just send text messages. I opt out and just get a iphone on my own dime.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There was a was a period of time where you could identify a group of douchebags without looking, just by hearing a cluster of those Motorola walkie-talkie chirps. Though I still use a walkie talkie on the reg at work, I'm in retail and they use them instead of a PA system.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Konstantin posted:

In my area it seemed like there was a period of time when treating phones like walkie talkies was huge. I could go almost anywhere and you'd hear people having conversations back and forth because somehow everyone treated it like it was essentially a speakerphone. The strange thing is that in the years since I still see people on modern phones and plans doing to same speakerphone conversations. They hold the phone out about a foot or so from their heads and shout conversations for everyone to hear. It's not like they're in a group and WANT other people to hear. It'll be people in a grocery store by themselves, or in a McDs or just walking down the street.

Amusingly, most the conversations I hear this way seem like things you WOULDN'T want strangers to be privy to.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Our family had an intercom system in our house for when my dad was out drinking and working on his car in the garage and my mom wanted to yell at him to stop

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gann Jerrod posted:

The special system that allowed PTT functionality was Nextel's claim to fame in the cellular world. Lots of companies had sizable contracts with Nextel for that feature.

Others tried to emulate it through GSM or whatever but there was apparently a latency issue.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Walkie-talkie functionality and AM/FM tuners are two features that every cell phone should have but they don't because the cell phone companies want our money :smith:

loving kills me.

Worst part is most phones could do both with existing hardware but its disabled in software.

Digital Walkie-Talkies could actually give you a pretty good signal, I bet. Anybody ever make some of those?
All the old ones were analog and so had some pretty bad interference.

Zello, mang. I play Ingress, and especially for events it's how we keep in touch between and inside each team, as well as coordination with City Central - Using a Bluetooth headset or earphones and Zello.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The era where CD burners had become widespread but Steam hadn't completely caught on yet was a hell of a thing. I bought Hitman Contracts on launch day and the CD check wouldn't pass on my PC. To get it working I had to image the CD, mount it in a virtual drive, and install some special software for tricking SecuROM. Each time I wanted to play, I had to shut down and physically disconnect my optical drives or else the copy protection would still freak out. I put up with this for about a week until I just downloaded a warez release off Usenet that worked without hassle and thought "Well, at least the box looks nice."

There was also the wonderful joy of CD keys. I'm pretty sure those were placed in a way that practically guaranteed you'd lose them. When games quit coming in plastic cases and started coming in paper sleeves the key would often be on the sleeve. Others were on manuals that tended to get misplaced. Upgraded your computer and needed to reinstall everything? Lol good luck, bro. You might suddenly be unable to play your favorite game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Zello, mang. I play Ingress, and especially for events it's how we keep in touch between and inside each team, as well as coordination with City Central - Using a Bluetooth headset or earphones and Zello.

That's cool but its kinda silly to pay your carrier to communicate through their towers or require public wifi when your hardware should absolutely be capable of communicating ad-hoc.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That's cool but its kinda silly to pay your carrier to communicate through their towers or require public wifi when your hardware should absolutely be capable of communicating ad-hoc.

Except that it's a feature that few people want, so even if chipsets support it, the carriers aren't going to write the software to support it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Except that it's a feature that few people want, so even if chipsets support it, the carriers aren't going to write the software to support it.

Carriers have to write their own firmware? Do they also have to run the cellphones through a printer by themselves to brand them?
I only expected them to provide a theme and preloaded programs to the manufacturer.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Slanderer posted:

I don't think my iPhone-sized hardware is capable of communicating ad-hoc across five miles of oak forest, for instance.

It'd be an exceptionally nice functionality in dense urban environments, though, except when you need to call 911 at two in the morning and nobody is on the streets except your assailants.

e: Carriers need to write their own radios, to talk to their networks. Those are software-defined.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ArcMage posted:

I don't think my iPhone-sized hardware is capable of communicating ad-hoc across five miles of oak forest, for instance.

It'd be an exceptionally nice functionality in dense urban environments, though, except when you need to call 911 at two in the morning and nobody is on the streets except your assailants.

e: Carriers need to write their own radios, to talk to their networks. Those are software-defined.

So iPhones have the necessary software for any carrier worldwide loaded?
You know there are cellphone standards like GSM or UMTS? Compatible cellphones only need a valid SIM to connect to them, no custom radios.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zaphod42 posted:

Push to talk went through the providers network too though - the only reason it cost less than a proper call was the provider decided it should.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

Taerkar posted:

The special system that allowed PTT functionality was Nextel's claim to fame in the cellular world. Lots of companies had sizable contracts with Nextel for that feature.

Others tried to emulate it through GSM or whatever but there was apparently a latency issue.

I worked on the Nextel contract when i was still doing call center work. The reason their ptt was king poo poo came down to a couple things: the network was built around the service. Like they originally only did direct connect (the name for their service) and added cell later on. And the phones were loving indestructible. A coworker got a call from a guy who wanted a new shell for his phone (not a case, the actual housing), the reason he needed a new one is because his phone had been struck by lightning. This caused it to launch off the roof he was on and punch a hole in the door of his truck. The thing still worked.

The iden network was garbage for non ptt voice, data, and text messaging. But it had almost no latency, even internationally.

Everything went to poo poo when they were acquired by sprint. They tried these godawful "hybrid" phones that coupled a cdma transmitter with the iden one. The net result was phones that did both, just less than half as well as they would separately. Also they were a nightmare to program and provision. First gen activations could take an hour phone call and 8 hours of waiting.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Was gonna post the same link after reading Code Jockey's comment. Good article.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Taerkar posted:

FWIW, Sprint tore down the iDEN hardware that was on the towers but you can still set a channel and use the phones in point to point mode.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Is it weird that the word 'Walkie Talkie' sounds like a childish nickname for it but it isn't - that's what they are called? Or is there some early, arcane word for them that was simplified/bastardized into "Walkie Talkie"

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

lt_kennedy posted:

Is it weird that the word 'Walkie Talkie' sounds like a childish nickname for it but it isn't - that's what they are called? Or is there some early, arcane word for them that was simplified/bastardized into "Walkie Talkie"

A more formal name would be "handheld transceiver" or "two-way radio." Apparently the first model nicknamed "Walkie talkie" was big enough that it was worn as a backpack with which you could, well, walk and talk. A subsequent handheld model was nicknamed "handie talkie," but I guess that didn't stick as well.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Toast Museum posted:

A more formal name would be "handheld transceiver" or "two-way radio." Apparently the first model nicknamed "Walkie talkie" was big enough that it was worn as a backpack with which you could, well, walk and talk. A subsequent handheld model was nicknamed "handie talkie," but I guess that didn't stick as well.

Yet it sounds so much more appealing somehow.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lt_kennedy posted:

"Two-way" was what most people I knew in various communities that used them called them.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

wasn't two way pagers a thing for a while in the US? in Europe everyone was already using text messages by that time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

A subsequent handheld model was nicknamed "handie talkie," but I guess that didn't stick as well.
Fun fact: "handy" is a common name for cell phones in Germany, and this is one theory as to how that came about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39EPz2JsbUk

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

wasn't two way pagers a thing for a while in the US? in Europe everyone was already using text messages by that time.

That was how RIM got it's start wasn't it? Two-way pagers in the mid 90s? If I recall they invented it, competed with SkyTell for a while and slammed the door shut with the first Blackberry (2000. maybe?) which was a two-way pager with push email from Exchange. If you were issued one of those in the 90s you were King poo poo.

(I know I could probably verify all that with a visit to Wikipedia, but I don't feel like opening another tab)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if I've (or someone else) already mentioned this or not.
Peek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peek_%28mobile_Internet_device%29

A mobile email device that launched about 7 years ago and apparently came to an end of life about 3 years ago. A small little thing that would let you send and receive email through mobile without needing a phone and you could even pay a one-time lifetime service plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was also the wonderful joy of CD keys. I'm pretty sure those were placed in a way that practically guaranteed you'd lose them. When games quit coming in plastic cases and started coming in paper sleeves the key would often be on the sleeve. Others were on manuals that tended to get misplaced. Upgraded your computer and needed to reinstall everything? Lol good luck, bro. You might suddenly be unable to play your favorite game.

I solved this by writing the CD-keys directly on the CDs. On darker CDs I'd write with a white paint marker, which worked great until I put the disc in too soon after writing the key on it and created spin-art in my optical drive.