Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks! I have some stuff that needs a refresh and better care going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

What are some good places to look online for used gear?

Campsaver.com has their "The Shed" section which is used gear and samples at really good prices. Besides that you'll want to scour craigslist, which I've had OK luck with. You'll also want to look at an REI gear sale if you have one nearby. That's where they sell all of their returned gear. Normally this stuff doesn't have anything wrong with it. The person who returned it just didnt like it for whatever reason. Goodwill and other thrift stores I've had success at for clothing. Fleeces and shirts mostly, but I did score some Kuhl hiking pants last summer.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Screw online for used gear, the real deals are at goodwill/thrift stores near REI's and yuppies for anything wearable, and craigslist for everything else. If I didn't wear size small everything I would be swimming in $20 dead bird hardshells.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
EMS recently changed their return policy, they used to be like REI with a Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee but now it's no returns for anything used :(
This sucks because I was just about to exchange a fleece and a pair of Microspikes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Boo loving hoo. I guess you'll just have to put money into the system like any other industry.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Speleothing posted:

Boo loving hoo. I guess you'll just have to put money into the system like any other industry.

The problem is that with REI, I paid a premium for this policy. Now that they are the same as anywhere else, I have to rely on manufacturers who offer lifetime warranties. Also, you can get a bonus year out of your gear by buying it with AMEX. And if you think I'm averse to putting plenty of money into the system, then I don't even know what to say to that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why would you return used gear then?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Why would you return used gear then?

Because I'm hard on my equipment.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Hungryjack posted:

The problem is that with REI, I paid a premium for this policy.

No you didn't. You paid market price for gear that can sometimes be found cheaper on sale on the Internet

REI changed its policy because people were horribly abusing it. Blame them not REI

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Isn't REI still a year warranty? I can't fault them for that. A year is still more than enough time to find out if something is going to work for you.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

No you didn't. You paid market price for gear that can sometimes be found cheaper on sale on the Internet

REI changed its policy because people were horribly abusing it. Blame them not REI

I bought a $550 tent at REI. How can you possibly say I didn't pay a premium? REI sells expensive items. I don't think it's a particularly contentious or aggressive thing to say. And I'm not blaming REI for anything. I'm saying that without the lifetime warranty, there is less reason for me to buy from them as opposed to another vendor.

EDIT: I think we're using different definitions of the word "premium".

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 23, 2015

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

I bought a $550 tent at REI. How can you possibly say I didn't pay a premium? REI sells expensive items. I don't think it's a particularly contentious or aggressive thing to say. And I'm not blaming REI for anything. I'm saying that without the lifetime warranty, there is less reason for me to buy from them as opposed to another vendor.

EDIT: I think we're using different definitions of the word "premium".

selling expensive items is not the same as selling items for a premium. If your $550 tent was $300 everywhere that was not REI, that would be a premium. I.E. you are paying more than retail for an item for the privilege of purchasing it from REI.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Trip report

]

For being Memorial Day weekend, Devil's Lake was surprisingly empty this morning. Every lot was completely empty except the boat landing.

Got up on top of the east bluff, about halfway down the lake. It's only about a 500 foot elevation, but still pretty high for Wisconsin and beautiful as hell.

Devil's Doorway on the south side, one of the more iconic spots in the park.

Stopped there for a quick nap, woke up an realized the park was suddenly packed. Ugh. Packed my poo poo up asap and got out. The hike down took three times as long due to all the people coming up.

On the drive home I had a suicidal mourning dove fly through my passenger window and smash me in the face. Guess I'm like Fabio in more ways than one: good looks AND getting blasted in the face by a dumb bird.

Birds are assholes, man. :parrot:

:negative:

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Casu Marzu posted:

Devil's Doorway on the south side, one of the more iconic spots in the park.

I'd heard Wisconsin could be pretty, but this was unexpected! Great trip report.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

On the drive home I had a suicidal mourning dove fly through my passenger window and smash me in the face. Guess I'm like Fabio in more ways than one: good looks AND getting blasted in the face by a dumb bird.
Hahahaha

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

ReverendCode posted:

selling expensive items is not the same as selling items for a premium. If your $550 tent was $300 everywhere that was not REI, that would be a premium. I.E. you are paying more than retail for an item for the privilege of purchasing it from REI.

OK, that's just pedantic. If you go to Amazon and punch in "3-person tent", you'll find a lot more tents that match that criteria for less money, than for more. Hence, I'm paying a premium at REI (or elsewhere) for a tent that weighs less, packs down smaller, and, until a couple years ago, had a lifetime warranty. I'm surprised you're fighting me over the definition of the word when my meaning seems pretty clear. I'm not interested in taking the position that REI charges above the market price for a specific item. Now REI still sells plenty of brands that individually have a lifetime warranty, and like I said, buying an item with American Express adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty up to five years. If there's another merchant who offers a lifetime warranty on what they sell, I'm looking for them and I'll buy from them instead. Costco does, but the overlap for camping is limited. At Costco, I pay a membership premium to shop there, so yes, I understand your definition as well.

Now whether it's appropriate to take a five-year-old pack back because it tore a hole in regular use, or whether you can use a pair of hiking boots for a year and then return them because you thought they should last you two years is another question entirely. Levitate didn't specifically say that I was abusing the policy, but I do agree that abuse was surely the reason REI's policy came to an end.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hungryjack posted:

Hence, I'm paying a premium at REI (or elsewhere) for a tent that weighs less, packs down smaller, and, until a couple years ago, had a lifetime warranty.

If there's another merchant who offers a lifetime warranty on what they sell, I'm looking for them and I'll buy from them instead.

REI is first and foremost a retailer. Unless the $550 tent you bought was an REI branded tent, you can (and should) go through the return/exchange process at/with the manufacturer of your tent.

The Gear Coop offers a lifetime warranty on all items.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Trip report

lmao

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Speleothing posted:

It's one thing to return a pair of boots I've had for 4+ years and hiked countless miles in. But what about my Microspikes that broke after 2 trips? Sucks that people abusing their policy caused them to change it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I have a long body, arms and two feet of different sizes: one 11D, one 10.5 wide. I would buy multiple pairs of shoes from REI and try them at home. I would rather walk around in them at home for an evening than sit in their store. This is especially true for sandals like Chacos which depend on arch fit. A lot of stuff simply won't fit my upper body, and their merchandising is so bad that they don't have some of the basic items in store. Last time I came in to return something, they hassled me pretty bad about returning so many items. The vast majority of items I returned were new, and in the case they weren't it was stuff like a bike backlight ordered online not having a clip for the seat bag unlike every other rear light in the world.

I was pretty loving irritated there and didn't feel like I should have to explain my poo poo because their system doesn't track new vs used returns. Even after I did explain, the salesperson still wouldn't let it go. This is the opposite experience that I had two years ago bringing in a Camelbak bag that had a broken clip. I just wanted to see if they had any replacement clips and instead the salesperson told me to get a new bag for replacement. I told them that was too much, but they insisted.

I shop there like I do at Amazon and Nordstrom for the service. If they're not offering me that, what's the point? I can find literally everything online for cheaper. I'd rather have them fire me as a customer and give me my $20 back.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 23, 2015

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

It's one thing to return a pair of boots I've had for 4+ years and hiked countless miles in. But what about my Microspikes that broke after 2 trips? Sucks that people abusing their policy caused them to change it.

It took you over a year to use your microspikes twice?

Kahtoola has a 2 year warranty, by the way.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

OK, that's just pedantic. If you go to Amazon and punch in "3-person tent", you'll find a lot more tents that match that criteria for less money, than for more. Hence, I'm paying a premium at REI (or elsewhere) for a tent that weighs less, packs down smaller, and, until a couple years ago, had a lifetime warranty. I'm surprised you're fighting me over the definition of the word when my meaning seems pretty clear. I'm not interested in taking the position that REI charges above the market price for a specific item. Now REI still sells plenty of brands that individually have a lifetime warranty, and like I said, buying an item with American Express adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty up to five years. If there's another merchant who offers a lifetime warranty on what they sell, I'm looking for them and I'll buy from them instead. Costco does, but the overlap for camping is limited. At Costco, I pay a membership premium to shop there, so yes, I understand your definition as well.

Now whether it's appropriate to take a five-year-old pack back because it tore a hole in regular use, or whether you can use a pair of hiking boots for a year and then return them because you thought they should last you two years is another question entirely. Levitate didn't specifically say that I was abusing the policy, but I do agree that abuse was surely the reason REI's policy came to an end.

I disagree. The word "premium" means "more than the usual, or nominal price". Also, 3 person tents are not really a fungible good. unless you mean a specific tent, by a specific manufacturer is being listed for a lot less, then there is likely a world of difference between a $550 tent, and a $250 tent.

Edit: for specificity

ReverendCode fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 24, 2015

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

My husband works at REI. The way people abused that lifetime return policy was ridiculous. Employees don't bat an eye when someone returns something that broke or wore out after a year of use when the price suggests that you should've gotten much more life out of it... because they have had to deal with people who come in to return items that REI hasn't sold in 10 years that are literally in tatters. A full year to return stuff is reasonable in my opinion.

Today I returned a pair of hiking pants because the button popped off on the second trip I took them on, and gently caress paying $75 for pants that aren't made to last. I bought them like six months ago. My husband said that was a totally legit return and 2 others who work there agreed.

Lesson learned though, don't buy hiking pants from a yoga company. :shrug: Now I have some pants from Kuhl and I'm pretty excited about them :)

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

ReverendCode posted:

I disagree. The word "premium" means "more than the usual, or nominal price". Also, 3 person tents are not really a fungible good. unless you mean a specific tent, by a specific manufacturer is being listed for a lot less, then there is likely a world of difference between a $550 tent, and a $250 tent.

Edit: for specificity

The store really does charge more than its competitors. They don't deeply discount items like other stores do, even when they hold their handful of sales. Even my locally owned B&M outdoors retailer in Costa Mesa discounts items more aggressively. They try to compete on service, and now the service is worse.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Going back to boots and lacing, I haven't had a single blister since I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Time Cowboy posted:

I'd heard Wisconsin could be pretty, but this was unexpected! Great trip report.

Wisconsin is pretty beautiful once you get over the lack of elevation and the mosquitos the size of chickens.

:negative: Yeahhh. Sneezed a bit ago and ended up yanking like a 6" snotclot out. :barf:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Lesson learned though, don't buy hiking pants from a yoga company. :shrug: Now I have some pants from Kuhl and I'm pretty excited about them :)

Must have been Prana Halles? The button pops off of every pair I've ever bought. They are otherwise indestructable (my 2012 pair finally blew out after 3 years of hiking, rock climbing, and canyoneering). I just resew them on as soon as I buy a new pair using heavy-duty thread.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've actually been really happy with the Prana pants I have, very comfortable. I've only been using them for around 7 months or so though (granted I also go hiking almost every weekend) :shrug:

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I have a pair of Prana Zions and they have been really awesome so far.

What do you all think of hammocks? It seems like quite a few people support them and this website pushes them pretty hard http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/tent-to-hammock/

It seems like most people still stick to the conventional tent, sleeping pad system however.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Prana Zions are the poo poo. A bit heavy, unsecure for traveling, and they tend to bag out and start having the stretch fibers poke through the fabric after a couple of years, but I love those pants so much. Testing out some lighter MEC pants on this trip, see how things go.

I'm off to hike the Janapar as of Thursday with a tiny 22L pack. I'll report back at the end of June whether or not I stepped on a landmine (confirmed with the trail guy there is one section that is risky). If I haven't put a trip report in here or A/T by October, shoot me a PM to remind me. :v:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I too love Prana Zions. I wish they came without a cargo pocket though. I didn't love them for hiking because they don't breathe that well but they're awesome pants for biking around the city, running errands.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Went out to explore the north fork of the Big Lost River.

Still lots of snow out here, some even fell today

Mystery Peak, I was sort of heading towards it but things got steep.

Also found the best trail food ever (I brought it with me)

Also realized I need to get to the trailhead earlier. Could have started at 6 with sunlight

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
This could be considered my first real hiking trip, so I guess I will share some pictures. These are from the Buffalo River area in northern Arkansas. We followed a trail that ended up leading us about a mile into a "wilderness area" before it came to an end and we turned around. We had a really good time (minus the ticks) and have already started planning some more trips.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Qwertyiop25 posted:

This could be considered my first real hiking trip, so I guess I will share some pictures. These are from the Buffalo River area in northern Arkansas. We followed a trail that ended up leading us about a mile into a "wilderness area" before it came to an end and we turned around. We had a really good time (minus the ticks) and have already started planning some more trips.

What's up, Ozark buddy? I wish I could set ticks on fire with my mind. Gorgeous pictures though!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Ended up enjoying the last bit of spring weather to try out some new trails:

A couple of patches of Lady's Slippers were out and blooming.

Some spectacular weather at Bear Church Rock.

The return leg along Staunton River...really a creek at that point.

It's also trailwork season - spent a Saturday building and rehabilitating over 100 feet of drains, as well as reconstructing a couple of waterbars:

Remember, trails don't build themselves! Helping out with the local trail club is a great way to give back to the community (as well as a great way to enjoy beer around the campfire after a hard day's work).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Are there any big effort posts on sleeping bags in here? Finally replacing my beat up heavy rear end 10 year old bag with something stupidly light and expensive, probably 10-20 degrees or so.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've caught the hiking bug again and this time i can afford all the gear i want. Joy.

lollybo posted:

What do you all think of hammocks? It seems like quite a few people support them and this website pushes them pretty hard http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/tent-to-hammock/

It seems like most people still stick to the conventional tent, sleeping pad system however.
If you have a good sleeping bag and can y'know, sleep in a hammock it owns bones. I tried my friend's hammock this weekend and it was a really good sleep even though my bag is poo poo and it dropped to 3C over the night. Woke up once due to the chill and had to put on long johns but otherwise it was good. Never even noticed the rain.

420 lay in a hammock errday.

edit: Disclaimer: I've never really used a goodactual tent, we're the lean-to/hobo tarp shelter kind of hikers.

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 25, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Saint Fu posted:

I too love Prana Zions. I wish they came without a cargo pocket though. I didn't love them for hiking because they don't breathe that well but they're awesome pants for biking around the city, running errands.

Look at the Brion

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Pryor on Fire posted:

Are there any big effort posts on sleeping bags in here? Finally replacing my beat up heavy rear end 10 year old bag with something stupidly light and expensive, probably 10-20 degrees or so.

Get a down quilt from Enlightened, they are the bees knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Illegal Username posted:

I've caught the hiking bug again and this time i can afford all the gear i want. Joy.

If you have a good sleeping bag and can y'know, sleep in a hammock it owns bones. I tried my friend's hammock this weekend and it was a really good sleep even though my bag is poo poo and it dropped to 3C over the night. Woke up once due to the chill and had to put on long johns but otherwise it was good. Never even noticed the rain.

420 lay in a hammock errday.

edit: Disclaimer: I've never really used a goodactual tent, we're the lean-to/hobo tarp shelter kind of hikers.
Hammocks own, unless you do a lot of hiking in the Sierras, where the terrain often goes "haha gently caress you, no trees". It seems like any of the cottage gear manufactures will make you a great down quilt. I'm happy with my Hammock Gear quilt, and after handling an Enlightened Equipment Revelations and an Underground Quilt Flight Jacket, there doesn't seem to be too massive of a difference between them. They all seem to be well made the and their feel and weight is mostly based on how warm you want it to be.