Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HaB posted:

Courting Celebrities was a big part of L. Ron's plan, since he knew the masses look up to celebrities.

Hubbard was a very intelligent man. Dude set out to prove he could form a religion based on taking as much money as possible from his followers, and he loving did it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

:q::stare::stare::q:
:q::stare::q::q:

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 14:30 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

:catstare:

This entire video is amazing/confusing as gently caress.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Great video - hope other threads on SA are discussing it. Amazing stuff....

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Steering the conversation away from that drat money cult, let's talk about some plain and simple lunacy.
If you've ever turned on a radio in your entire life, you've undoubtedly heard Pink Floyd. They're the ones who told us all that we don't need no education, we don't need no thought control.
Before Roger Waters became the front man, Syd Barrett was in charge. Of the band, not of what was in his head.

quote:

Through late 1967 and early 1968, Barrett's behaviour became increasingly erratic and unpredictable, partly as a consequence of his reported heavy use of psychedelic drugs, most prominently LSD.[8] Many reports described him on stage, strumming one chord through the entire concert, or not playing at all.[63]

quote:

He attended the Abbey Road session unannounced, and watched the band record "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" — a song that happened to be about Barrett. By that time, the 29-year-old Barrett had become quite overweight, had shaved off all of his hair (including his eyebrows), and his ex-bandmates did not at first recognise him. Barrett's behaviour at the session was erratic; he spent part of the session brushing his teeth.[132][133]

quote:

In an article published in 2006, in response to notions that Barrett's problems came from the drug, Gilmour was quoted as saying:
"In my opinion, his nervous breakdown would have happened anyway. It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."[176]

quote:

Until his death, Barrett received royalties from his work with Pink Floyd from each compilation and some of the live and studio albums and singles that featured his songs; Gilmour commented that he "made sure the money got to [Barrett]." [112]

The classic rock station where I live, on Sunday nights, has a "behind the music" type program. One time, the topic was Pink Floyd. Two things I heard on that particular episode will always be in my memory.
First, upon recognizing Syd when he came into the recording studio, Roger Waters (who had been close friends with him since college,) broke down and cried.
Second, during the earlier years of the band, they were all staying at Alice Cooper's cabin. One morning, Alice came downstairs to see Syd staring at a box of cereal. After asking him why he was looking at this, Alice realized that Syd was actually looking in front of it. "He was clearly seeing something I could not," he said, "something that for me was not there, but to him it was."

So if you have ever wondered why many of Pink Floyd's songs are about insanity, there you go.

I highly recommend you click the link, if only to see the drastically different pictures of Syd that were taken just six years apart.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, Syd was just mentally ill. It's quite sad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Barrett is a pretty good example of how badly psychedelic drug abuse could gently caress you up. I bought a documentary a few years ago called The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story. It had footage of him having a really bad acid trip.

Also he just decided to paint his entire bachelor suite floor once on a whim. He never moved any stuff out of the way so he just painted around it all, including his bed which was just a mattress on the floor. He started at the door, effectively trapping himself inside until the paint set so he sat on his floor mattress and waited it out.

Not really unnerving I know, but still kind of weird. Unsurprisingly his landlord thought he was a total kook.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Poor Syd. Effervescent Elephant indeed.

Content: crossing over from the GBS Alice Walton thread:

Local tragic (not murder, for sure) suicide at beach mansion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Rebecca_Zahau

This is right down the road in an extremely affluent tourist destination part of San Diego. Missing from the article is where interviewed neighbors heard her screaming for help. Whoot!

No horrible murder here folks, enjoy the sunsets!

e. Urp! Spell harder!

King of Bees has a new favorite as of 18:20 on May 22, 2015

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FireWorksWell posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailored_Access_Operations

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if cybersecurity interests you at all I'd recommend reading it.

It's an entertaining read, as is one of the links leading from it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XKeyscore

Highlights:

* Seriously, the NSA has a secret cyberwarfare division called "TAO"?
* Thier motto: "Your data is our data, your equipment is our equipment - anytime, any place, by any legal means."
* NSA slides using lolcats to explain how they can hack all your internets
* Their XKEYSCORE system which Ed Snowden says: "You could read anyone's email in the world, anybody you've got an email address for. Any website: You can watch traffic to and from it."
* The crappy logo for XKEYSCORE

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

King of Bees posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Rebecca_Zahau

This is right down the road in an extremely affluent tourist destination part of San Diego. Missing from the article is where interviewed neighbors heard her screaming for help. Whoot!

No horrible murder here folks, enjoy the sunsets!

wiki posted:

[...] hanging from a balcony, with her wrists and ankles bound [...] Zahau was gagged with a blue, long sleeve T-shirt wrapped around her head with the sleeves double knotted and stuffed into her mouth. There was also what appeared to be tape residue on her legs.

Yup, definitely suicide! :cop:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
A couple of years ago, in friendly maple syrup loving Canada, a bizarre case arose around the murder of the women of the Shafia family.

Basically 3 teenage girls and their "aunt" were reported missing by the father and the son. The women were found in a car by the Rideau Canal, and everything about the murder scene seemed a bit off. Basically you can read about the murder, trial and everything else here, here, and and here.

For a bit more of Canadian content, have you ever heard of the Black Donnelly's?.
The Donnelly's were a family of no-good-ems who were basically the bullies of the town. They managed to piss of the town so badly that basically the town people formed a posse and murdered the entire family, or as wikipedia puts it:

Wiki posted:

On February 4, 1880 the Donnelly farm was burned to the ground. The bodies of James, his beloved Johannah, son Tom and niece Bridget were in the ashes, the victims of a cruel and vicious mob. Another son lay dead in a separate murder the same night. To this day, despite a great deal of evidence (including an eye witness), no one has been found guilty of the crime. Many had no doubt “who done it”, but in two trials the jury would not deliver a guilty verdict.

The wiki is quite detailed and worth a read.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Since we're discussing Scientology a bit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Base has always been pretty interesting and horrifying.

Wonder what'd be revealed if someone thoroughly searched that place. How many bodies would they find?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

monny posted:

Like a lot of that video they're using Scientology specific terms, "clear" basically means they've gone through the auditing process and kicked out all the evil alien ghosts.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

muscles like this? posted:

Like a lot of that video they're using Scientology specific terms, "clear" basically means they've gone through the auditing process and kicked out all the evil alien ghosts.

I get that, it still sets off my :godwin: cortex.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He had two car accidents in one day but only sustained injuries in the second one. nothing to see here.

The police have said his injuries were not consistent with being in even 1 accident. All injuries were from 1 event though, yea.

I agree he made sense as the person who did it, but the weird thing is the show Disappeared put on a convincing case for some combination of the boyfriend of the girl he has a crush on and friends with and hiding it from the boyfriend, the girl herself, and Zebb's own Aunt (by marraige), who was related to the boyfriend. The main point that stuck with me about them was there was a call to Zebb's pager later that night, from the Aunt's house, like inside her house no way around it. She is positive she was at the girl/boyfriend's house all night, and her house looks broken into, some other questionable things. It is just so odd this other stuff happened too while the other guy was so obviously the person, he's not going to the aunts house and all the other stuff so who did?

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Madkal posted:

For a bit more of Canadian content, have you ever heard of the Black Donnelly's?.
The Donnelly's were a family of no-good-ems who were basically the bullies of the town. They managed to piss of the town so badly that basically the town people formed a posse and murdered the entire family, or as wikipedia puts it:

The wiki is quite detailed and worth a read.

The tv show was pretty good too imo.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Barrett is a pretty good example of how badly psychedelic drug abuse could gently caress you up.

I'd say more a good example of how bad an idea it is to mix schizophrenia with psychedelics. But yeah, Syd Barrett's is a sad story.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Endbringer posted:

First, upon recognizing Syd when he came into the recording studio, Roger Waters (who had been close friends with him since college,) broke down and cried.

Depends on when the question was asked; this story has been told a dozen times by each member of the band, and each one tells it slightly different each time. In one telling it was Roger who was getting visibly agitated before finally just hissing "don't you know who that is?" at Gilmour

Three details tend to remain the same though:
1. When they had finished playing back part of Shine On and then began another playback, Syd allegedly said "Why? You already heard it once."
2. When asked why he was so fart, Syd allegedly answered "I've a large fridge, and I've been eating a lot of pork chops."
3. Everyone involved (except Syd, who has never been asked that I know of) has said they've never been more uncomfortable before or since

The Endbringer posted:

I highly recommend you click the link, if only to see the drastically different pictures of Syd that were taken just six years apart.

It really is like a reversed before and after photo.

There's also video footage of Syd walking down the street in the late 90s/early 00s recorded by a stalkerish fanboy type; it's pretty sad to watch (more due to the hosed up Biggest Fan seeking to make, and then publicizing, two seconds of an elderly man walking down the street)

Mak0rz posted:

Barrett is a pretty good example of how badly psychedelic drug abuse could gently caress you up. I bought a documentary a few years ago called The Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett Story. It had footage of him having a really bad acid trip.

It was actually psilocybin and recorded in early 1966, prior to the fame and mental illness (someone please combine the sperglord emote with the Floyd logo for me, tia)

Mak0rz posted:

Also he just decided to paint his entire bachelor suite floor once on a whim. He never moved any stuff out of the way so he just painted around it all, including his bed which was just a mattress on the floor. He started at the door, effectively trapping himself inside until the paint set so he sat on his floor mattress and waited it out.

Not really unnerving I know, but still kind of weird.

...and visible on the cover of The Madcap Laughs for anyone interested.

The final attempt to record a new Syd album in 1974 makes a pretty sad epilogue to his breakdown. Peter Jenner had the bright idea of recording an album in a week with Syd playing all the instruments...guitar one day, bass another, drums, keyboards if necessary, and singing on the last day. Phil Smee, who put together the 'Crazy Diamond' box set, is one of the few people to hear them and described them as a lot of silence punctuated by what sounds like "a small child given a slide guitar for the first time". The second day, Syd showed up with no strings on his guitar. They found some, but things went from bad to worse:

Barry Miles posted:

When everything seemed in order they began. Syd had asked someone to type his lyrics to his new songs for him. This they had done using the red ribbon of the typewriter. When the sheet was handed to Syd he thought it was a bill, grabbed the guy's hand and tried to bite his fingers off.
Day three, he didn't show up, and shortly thereafter sold the rights to his solo albums back to the record company.

Allegedly on the second or third day, a friend spotted Syd walking down the street, pulled over, and asked him where he was going. "Far further than you could possibly imagine" was supposedly the answer before Syd walked off. This story is so on-the-nose that it likely belongs in the bullshit file though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So what people are saying is that he needed to be able to control his thoughts? Perhaps some education would have helped him.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

monny posted:

When I streamed that Operating Thetan Summit a while back I had to keep pausing to translate what they were saying

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Literally The Worst posted:

When I streamed that Operating Thetan Summit a while back I had to keep pausing to translate what they were saying

Good to see you making use of Student Hat and M3 Word Clearing.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Not a wikipedia article, but this just popped up in the news.

I'll just link to it, it's a pretty short article, but very sad and unnerving:

http://news.sky.com/story/1489351/mum-found-pushing-dead-toddler-on-park-swing

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We need a goon to infiltrate Scientology and report back with all the poo poo that goes on. Who's the richest goon with excess time on their hands, that won't go all stockholm syndrome and actually fall for all that crap?

I went into the Kansas City Scientology Center and took their test (what a shock, I'm a terrible person who needs Scientology right away). L. Ron Hubbard busts were everywhere. I watched two hours of propaganda films before a different guy came in and wore me down until I bought the $18 book. He was a huge jerk too and was rather frightening. I had begun considering ways of escaping. I got a free six month membership. It's been expired since December. They would send these invitations to their conferences in the mail. What that consisted of was going down to the KC center and watching the real conference on TV (I never went). They haven't bothered me since because I was probably a bad actor and they knew I was faking it. That and they knew I was/am massively poor and thus have no use for me..

TLDR: I was of no help at all.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

bean_shadow posted:

I went into the Kansas City Scientology Center and took their test (what a shock, I'm a terrible person who needs Scientology right away). L. Ron Hubbard busts were everywhere. I watched two hours of propaganda films before a different guy came in and wore me down until I bought the $18 book. He was a huge jerk too and was rather frightening. I had begun considering ways of escaping. I got a free six month membership. It's been expired since December. They would send these invitations to their conferences in the mail. What that consisted of was going down to the KC center and watching the real conference on TV (I never went). They haven't bothered me since because I was probably a bad actor and they knew I was faking it. That and they knew I was/am massively poor and thus have no use for me..

TLDR: I was of no help at all.

lmfao

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The recent events surrounding the guy from 19 kids and counting is pretty scary and unnerving.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

bean_shadow posted:

They haven't bothered me since because I was probably a bad actor and they knew I was faking it.

Yet you sat through

bean_shadow posted:

two hours of propaganda films
?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kanine posted:

The recent events surrounding the guy from 19 kids and counting is pretty scary and unnerving.

And utterly unsurprising.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kanine posted:

Apparently the mom from Honey Boo Boo is going to sue TLC. She says it's unfair that her show got canceled after she started dating the man who sexually abused her daughter 10 years ago, but 19 Kids and Counting gets to stay on the air even though one of the sons molested 5 kids including his sisters.

TLC is the Worst Channel.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

The Endbringer posted:

Yet you sat through
?

I wanted to see everything one has to do when walking into one of those places. I didn't seem desperate enough to them to change my life, is what I mean.

I never saw it of course but in every Scientology center there is an office and, I think bedroom, set up in case L. Ron Hubbard comes back to Earth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FourLeaf posted:

Apparently the mom from Honey Boo Boo is going to sue TLC. She says it's unfair that her show got canceled after she started dating the man who sexually abused her daughter 10 years ago, but 19 Kids and Counting gets to stay on the air even though one of the sons molested 5 kids including his sisters.

quote:

The Learning Channel

:psyduck:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

I read / saw on CNN that 19 Kids was pulled off the air. Did TLC reverse that decision?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Karma Monkey posted:

I read / saw on CNN that 19 Kids was pulled off the air. Did TLC reverse that decision?

She had her tirade on Thursday, before they pulled the show.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Karma Monkey posted:

They've pulled all currently scheduled airings, but are still considering whether to cancel the show outright or just cut Josh

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

bean_shadow posted:

I wanted to see everything one has to do when walking into one of those places. I didn't seem desperate enough to them to change my life, is what I mean.

I never saw it of course but in every Scientology center there is an office and, I think bedroom, set up in case L. Ron Hubbard comes back to Earth.

I would be a liar if I said that I never once considered going to my own local scientology center, just to see what it was like.

I apologize if that sounded harsher than the tease I meant it to be, my friend.

EDIT:

Because I know for a fact that if I ever DO check out that ... do you call it a church? Whatever. If I ever do check out that church, I'll probably be unable to escape for hours on end as well.

Because, you know,

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 01:18 on May 24, 2015

Atomic Coyote
May 2, 2013

Madkal posted:

A couple of years ago, in friendly maple syrup loving Canada, a bizarre case arose around the murder of the women of the Shafia family.

Basically 3 teenage girls and their "aunt" were reported missing by the father and the son. The women were found in a car by the Rideau Canal, and everything about the murder scene seemed a bit off. Basically you can read about the murder, trial and everything else here, here, and and here.

Searching "where to commit murder" on your laptop? Nice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Atomic Coyote posted:

Searching "where to commit murder" on your laptop? Nice.

That's what "incognito" mode is for.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Infyrno posted:

The police have said his injuries were not consistent with being in even 1 accident. All injuries were from 1 event though, yea.

I agree he made sense as the person who did it, but the weird thing is the show Disappeared put on a convincing case for some combination of the boyfriend of the girl he has a crush on and friends with and hiding it from the boyfriend, the girl herself, and Zebb's own Aunt (by marraige), who was related to the boyfriend. The main point that stuck with me about them was there was a call to Zebb's pager later that night, from the Aunt's house, like inside her house no way around it. She is positive she was at the girl/boyfriend's house all night, and her house looks broken into, some other questionable things. It is just so odd this other stuff happened too while the other guy was so obviously the person, he's not going to the aunts house and all the other stuff so who did?

I think he absolutely is the person who made the pager call. I think he's guilty as heck on all of it, but I'm basing this opinion on the Wikipedia page and a couple of articles on the case. Maybe there's evidence the police have that hasn't been released, I dunno.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think he absolutely is the person who made the pager call. I think he's guilty as heck on all of it, but I'm basing this opinion on the Wikipedia page and a couple of articles on the case. Maybe there's evidence the police have that hasn't been released, I dunno.

Looking at the Zebb Quinn stuff reminds me of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talhotblond thing. In a nutshell, three people catfished each other online for over a year, resulting in one of them getting shot to death.

Wikipedia posted:

Thomas Montgomery (screen name: marinesniper), a 47-year-old married man, pleaded guilty to murdering his 22-year-old co-worker Brian Barrett (screen name: beefcake). The two men were involved in a love triangle with "Jessi," an 18 year old girl with the screen name 'talhotblond'. While both men knew each other from work, neither had ever met "Jessi" in person.

In the beginning of their online relationship, Thomas presented himself as an 18 year old man named "Tommy" who was in basic training and later deployed. His wife ended the deception when she discovered Thomas' online relationship and wrote "Jessi," letting her know that there was no "Tommy." The two continued to chat, even after this.

It ultimately turned out however, that Thomas was not the only one that wasn't being truthful about his identity. "Jessi" was a real person, but it was actually her mother, Mary Shieler, who was posing as her daughter, online. Jessi was unaware of her mother's actions until after Barrett had been murdered and her mother's role in the case became widely known.

Here's an article about it that fleshes it out a little: http://abcnews.go.com/US/online-love-triangle-deception-end-murder/story?id=14371076&singlePage=true

Cooper0302
May 25, 2015
Hi guys, new here, hope this hasn't got a mention before. I've read the whole of the old thread and 20 pages into this one and haven't seen it yet so fingers crossed.

This is a story about a group of friends who went for a fun day caving in the Nutty Putty Caves. I guess some folks enjoy crawling around through spaces tight enough to prevent you from taking a deep breath.... Anyway, it didn't end well. The Wikipedia entry is sparse so have a read of this instead.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50073473-76/john-cave-tunnel-josh.html.csp

This quite literally gave me nightmares when I saw it dramatised on one of those Weird Ways to Die type of programs.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

exquisite tea posted:

The whites of the eyes showing above the pupils is like the Universal Symbol of Craziness.

There's actually a word for that (and a Wiki article!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanpaku

quote:

Conversely, when the upper sclera is visible it is said to be an indication of mental imbalance in people such as psychotics, murderers, and anyone rageful. Stress and fatigue may also be a cause.[1]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

There's actually a word for that (and a Wiki article!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanpaku

That's pretty cool! I didn't know there was a word for it. GISing "sanpaku" gives you a big mix of crazy people/exhausted people. I learned that apparently being in Twilight was as stressful/exhausting as being a U.S. president. Also, Charles Manson and Sarah Palin have the same drat eyeballs.