Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I drive a lot for work and my old garmin gps is starting to freeze up. Been thinking about a dash cam too and found this tonight. Nuvicam http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01378-01-NuviCam-LMTHD/dp/B00WAP8PI2

I'm assuming you guys are going to say it's too expensive, but keep in mind it's a write off and I don't really know how to wire stuff up. All that said am I better off going with separate gps and Dashcam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingOrAnother
Nov 23, 2013

Chinatown posted:

Trip Report. Been using this for the past month or so and its been flawless. If you are thinking about getting a better unit check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/KDLINKS%C2%AE-X1-Dashboard-Camcorder-G-Sensor/dp/B00N8BM0BU

Nice. In reading on dashcams I think I'd be willing to pay more for a quality unit that I can set and forget without having to worry about all the issues the cheaper variants tend to have.

Anybody have any input on other cams in this price range? (~140-180$)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hdip posted:

I drive a lot for work and my old garmin gps is starting to freeze up. Been thinking about a dash cam too and found this tonight. Nuvicam http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01378-01-NuviCam-LMTHD/dp/B00WAP8PI2

I'm assuming you guys are going to say it's too expensive, but keep in mind it's a write off and I don't really know how to wire stuff up. All that said am I better off going with separate gps and Dashcam?

If I understand the Garmin product range, then you're paying an extra $200 for a dashcam - yeah that is excessive.

Wiring up a dashcam is identical to wiring up a GPS: if you can manage one, you can manage the other.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Has anyone else looked at the Street Guardian SG9665GC? It seems kind of expensive at $200 but it has some interesting features like a Sony CMOS sensor, all-glass lens system in a metal mount, and a super-capacitor instead of a battery. I think it just came out as there aren't too many reviews.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DethMarine21 posted:

Has anyone else looked at the Street Guardian SG9665GC? It seems kind of expensive at $200 but it has some interesting features like a Sony CMOS sensor, all-glass lens system in a metal mount, and a super-capacitor instead of a battery. I think it just came out as there aren't too many reviews.

I'm curious about that too. That seller has been a poster on dashcamtalk for a long time though and it sounds like his store has a good reputation. I don't know if Street Guardian is his own brand or what?
What's funny is this is a PowerUCC Panorama product but labeled Street Guardian. Probably working with the manufacturer (who also posts on the forum) to make their own officially sold U.S. product line.
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SGZC12SG-Panorama-Compatible/dp/B00LXRR7L4

I bet you could find out more info on Dashcamtalk forums, I'm about to leave though.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

SomethingOrAnother posted:

Nice. In reading on dashcams I think I'd be willing to pay more for a quality unit that I can set and forget without having to worry about all the issues the cheaper variants tend to have.

Anybody have any input on other cams in this price range? (~140-180$)

I can't comment on other cams in that price range, but dashcamtalk does point out that the KDlinks-X1uses both the same sensor and the same processor as the Mobius and several other cameras. It's probably going to come down to what features you want in your camera.

I've got the Mobius with an added super capacitor and even leaving it in the Texas heat, it's only once let me down. The one failure was likely due to me stalling my car, turning the car off, then back on again, but too quickly for it to have finished saving out the final file. The short segment that should have been recorded in the interim (wherein a child ran out in front of me in a parking lot, and I stopped plenty short) did not get saved. I've got a pair of 32GB MicroSD cards from MicroCenter that I can swap out if I know I need to grab something and I'm worried I'll forget (and with 32GB you have about 2.5 hours of recording, something it's pretty easy to hit in Houston with the Rockets in the playoffs...)

To be fair, I don't have a lot of real estate on my windshield, what with the steep rake and the blocky sun shade layer, and I don't feel I need a screen at all, so the Mobius fits really well. Haven't had any other reliability complaints, nor heard of any serious ones from other owners.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
:siren: 17 Month Report :siren:

I was hit in a parking lot while stopped (I was in car and it was running) two weeks ago. This was one of those accidents were there was no way it was my fault, some guy just backed into me without looking, straight into the side of my car.

However, the G1W didn't cover even me screaming bad words. Seems sometime recently it has started to malfunction. It will record but not well. It has something to do with the internal battery being toast. It was/is set on 5 minute loops, so if I turn the car off in the middle of one, it won't save (like it used to) as the power is cut and the camera has no power to close the file out.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Oddhair posted:

I've got the Mobius with an added super capacitor and even leaving it in the Texas heat, it's only once let me down.
Haven't had any other reliability complaints, nor heard of any serious ones from other owners.

I have similar setups in my cars. The daily driver has a Mobius with a wide angle lens and a supercap; the truk has a standard-lensed Mobius with the stock battery. I've left that one as-is because I often pull it out and stick it onto my r/c planes and multirotors. Lots of accidental thumps and scrapes, zero problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPeZvnuIi8

Mods please rename this thread to "Dashcam Thread : Just Get A Mobius With A Supercap"

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

DethMarine21 posted:

I tempted to try this. I have the A118 which has the exact same housing and it's awesome; best form factor I've seen in a dashcam IMO. The seller also posted this night video comparing the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZZw28Vz3i0

It's a pretty significant difference and I can confirm that my A118 actually does look like that at night. Now is it worth over 2x the price? The A118 is definitely "good enough" for its intended purpose (as insurance, not so much for taking pretty pictures) so I'm not sure about that.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Hit an Apex posted:

:siren: 17 Month Report :siren:

I was hit in a parking lot while stopped (I was in car and it was running) two weeks ago. This was one of those accidents were there was no way it was my fault, some guy just backed into me without looking, straight into the side of my car.

However, the G1W didn't cover even me screaming bad words. Seems sometime recently it has started to malfunction. It will record but not well. It has something to do with the internal battery being toast. It was/is set on 5 minute loops, so if I turn the car off in the middle of one, it won't save (like it used to) as the power is cut and the camera has no power to close the file out.

Yeah as much as I'd love for my dashcam to be hands-off I usually take it out every few weeks just to make sure everything is still working good. Especially now that it's hot outside.

Honestly I don't know why everyone harps on the G1W... I bought one and it was a lovely piece of poo poo. I bought a Mobius shortly after and was much happier. I'm actually thinking of upgrading again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sup dashcam thread. I just bought a new car over Memorial Day weekend and I've got a couple bills in AmazonBux from my tax refund, figured this would be a good time to invest. Especially since the whole reason I needed a new car is because some drunken rear end in a top hat swiped the front of my Rav-4 about a month ago and drove off while I limped over to the shoulder :argh: I always told myself if anything like that ever happened that I'd be sure to get the plate and other info, but when you lose control of your vehicle at 60mph your priorities are elsewhere.

Somebody last page recommended this KDLINKS and it sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm in Dallas so our summers can be pretty brutal, so the claim that this should keep working in an occasional oven is a plus. The only other thing I've seen consistently recommended is the Mobius brand, do they have anything that would match/beat this cam at a similar price point?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah my KDLINKS is chugging along quite nicely. I got a larger 32GB card to capture more. It holds about, eh, 8 hours of footage maybe with a 32? Plenty for normal commuting.

The included software is also suprisingly good and shows your location on google maps as you play a video back since its encoded with GPS data.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPB1cvlGgnw

From this morning. I guess it was only one minute of my life (and now yours). The fifteen second wait once he actually got in his poo poo heap just iced the cake. At no point did he acknowledge my existence.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VFbfpQNJY

Maybe three's the charm and tomorrow there'll be an actual collision.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the fact that no one got hit when driving on the wrong side of the road is the most amazing part of that video

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I recently picked up a G90 and so far it's working pretty well. Daytime quality is good, nigh time quality is only okay but for the price it's fine. Of course the big problems with these low cost chinese camera's is longevity so hopefully I'll have good news to report in a years time or so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VFbfpQNJY

Maybe three's the charm and tomorrow there'll be an actual collision.

To be fair he was never going to hit anyone in that situation unless they jumped the gun on the light change (which in my opinion is worse than blowing through a fresh red anyway)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Heres my KDLINKS X1. Caught a traffic break this morning on the way to work. Piece of blown tire.

If you enlarge the video you will see him completely fail on the first throw attempt lmbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmrnWNcI1Mw

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 3, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
A section of the westbound LIE (I-495) was shut down for road work and you could optionally divert to the Northern State. Trucks aren't allowed on the Northern State. Inevitably...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDLsQqn9po

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

NOTinuyasha posted:

A section of the westbound LIE (I-495) was shut down for road work and you could optionally divert to the Northern State. Trucks aren't allowed on the Northern State. Inevitably...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGDLsQqn9po

Looks like another case of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I've watched 11foot8 but I've never seen an entire trailer buckle like that, the cargo container always absorbs the impact and unless it's just scraping the top it doesn't make it past the bridge. I can't imagine what that would've felt like for the driver... it's a 55mph road but even trucks do 65+, and considering how much he/she slid past the bridge it was probably full speed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Probably due to the fact that the front right corner of the trailer hit the overpass because it's an arch shape.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Heres my KDLINKS X1. Caught a traffic break this morning on the way to work. Piece of blown tire.

If you enlarge the video you will see him completely fail on the first throw attempt lmbo.

Worth the click just for the audio. I haven't seen a traffic break in a while.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Chinatown posted:

I'm amazed one solo motorcycle cop got an entire freeway full of cars to stop that easily. That would just get the guy squished here in Atlanta; it would take a whole fleet of cruisers physically blocking every lane to accomplish that, and you'd undoubtedly still have idiots in X5s and brotrucks forcing their way around on the shoulders and gores.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

I'm amazed one solo motorcycle cop got an entire freeway full of cars to stop that easily. That would just get the guy squished here in Atlanta; it would take a whole fleet of cruisers physically blocking every lane to accomplish that, and you'd undoubtedly still have idiots in X5s and brotrucks forcing their way around on the shoulders and gores.

Yeah he would've been passed and/or run over here on 285.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

see, CA traffic isnt all bad

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Traffic breaks are fairly common in SoCal because of the volume of traffic always leads to poo poo being strewn all over the road and people know hitting things loving SUCKKKSSSSS.

Semi-truck blowouts happen all the time and i blame all the lovely garbage 18-wheelers that come across from Mexico for it.

the worst is coming up on a ladder in the middle of a lane/lanes :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ LITERALLY my first day driving this brand new car home from work, some dude's aluminum ladder slides out of his truck and pukes sparks everywhere, I almost poo poo a brick. Luckily it stayed going straight and didn't cross over any lanes, but still. Driving a new vehicle is going to kill me :(

Well, I wasn't expecting to have content for the thread literally the first day I turn on my new KDLINKS, but Mustang drivers will not be chained down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDnH38b-sM

Towards the end you can hear the 2nd stang floor it again, because why should almost smashing into 2 other cars cause him to adjust his driving :v:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ LITERALLY my first day driving this brand new car home from work, some dude's aluminum ladder slides out of his truck and pukes sparks everywhere, I almost poo poo a brick. Luckily it stayed going straight and didn't cross over any lanes, but still. Driving a new vehicle is going to kill me :(

Well, I wasn't expecting to have content for the thread literally the first day I turn on my new KDLINKS, but Mustang drivers will not be chained down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDnH38b-sM

Towards the end you can hear the 2nd stang floor it again, because why should almost smashing into 2 other cars cause him to adjust his driving :v:

He was losing the race, gotta catch up!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Takes No Damage posted:

Neither one of those cars are Mustangs.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Challengers are the loving worst and their commercials are completely to blame.

HEY ARE YOU A SHITHEAD WELL DO WE HAVE THE CAR FOR YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shows what I know :downs: Anytime I see that flat squared-off rear end I think Mustang, but Charger/Challenger/Camaro all look similar to a not car guy. I probably should have just raged against muscle car drivers in general.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You're not passing anyone, get out of the passing lane.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Craptacular posted:

100% this. Yeah they're driving like poo poo heads but you have no business in the passing lane. Had it been open they'd have just gone by.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Oh god, more passing lane chat :can:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bovril Delight posted:

100% this. Yeah they're driving like poo poo heads but you have no business in the passing lane. Had it been open they'd have just gone by.

To be clear, we are not excusing the behavior of the other drivers. They were stupid. At the same time, sitting in the passing lane is also wrong. Not as wrong, but still wrong. Wrong 7 compared to their Wrong 6, with Wrong 1 being you don't believe the holocaust happened and Wrong 10 being you lied about getting a blowjob when you clearly did*.

Edit: I forget how the Eddie Izzard bit goes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
don't tell me how to drive ill bash you're head in i swear on me mum.

Actually I was trying to pass slower traffic, but as you can see the car in front of me was the one hanging out so rather than ram into them I slowed down, to 74mph :cheeky: Also the idea of specifically keeping out of the left lane at all times just so these jagoffs can play :rice: in traffic is really low on my list of priorities. At best I'm a level 3 rear end in a top hat to their 7 or 8.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
not sure if I spammed this here yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg5iU4MbVM

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Craptacular posted:

Yup.

If I were elected Supreme Leader I'd legalize watermelon-bombing of people who hog the fast lane.

Worst and... I guess most bizarre thing I see on a regular basis, though... There's a fast-lane hog way out ahead of a line of cars... People merge into this slow-moving line, leaving other "slow" lanes mostly open/unoccupied, while they're only a car length or two apart. But... Oooo they're in the fast lane!! Oh boy!! (but they're getting passed..) What the christ