Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh boy, now this I haven't heard about. What water spawners?

Railcraft basically spawns water "springs" here and there, shafts of water that go down to bedrock level with a block at the bottom called "Water Spawner" which looks and acts just like bedrock except that it constantly has a water source block above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Railcraft basically spawns water "springs" here and there, shafts of water that go down to bedrock level with a block at the bottom called "Water Spawner" which looks and acts just like bedrock except that it constantly has a water source block above it.

Water is the most renewable resource in minecraft, I wish some mod did this with lava instead.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sistergodiva posted:

Water is the most renewable resource in minecraft, I wish some mod did this with lava instead.

Even if you have infinite water turned off, there's at least half a dozen ways off the top of my head of making it from nothing. They're pretty annoying to deal with, esp when they spawn in mining worlds.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I messed around with Agricraft for the first time today. I had previously made use of the sprinkler system for conventional crops, but ignored the rest of it, because it was derived from Industrialcraft 2. But the mod is actually kind of interesting, once the same premise is implemented by someone who is not desperately hoping you won't notice that their lovely coked-up used car salesman impression and monkey cheese humor is covering for a complete lack of usable information, and realizes that tedious bullshit is in fact tedious bullshit. I just wish I'd poked at it sooner, since while I don't know if a 7x7 field of Agricraft potatoes would have the same yield as my current farm, I know it'd have a much smaller footprint and be far easier to build, because I wouldn't need to worry about routing potatoes to the planter. I would miss out on poison potatoes, which is a minor problem because I built this and a sugar cane farm to make hootch to power everything and poison potatoes are great for that, but in the long run I don't think it would matter too much.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've not played Minecraft in a long while, are there any good modpacks that are adventure/rpg themed? I'm not interested about growing wheat and farming sheep, I want to explore the world and find dungeons and towers and monsters.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MechaCrash posted:

the mod is actually kind of interesting, once the same premise is implemented by someone who is not desperately hoping you won't notice that their lovely coked-up used car salesman impression and monkey cheese humor is covering for a complete lack of usable information, and realizes that tedious bullshit is in fact tedious bullshit.
Oh my god I'd completely forgotten about the loving made-up units that don't even exist in the game, like talking about the amount of "gibbl" that a compressor creates, and the constant "HAYO!" on every entry.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

nexus6 posted:

I've not played Minecraft in a long while, are there any good modpacks that are adventure/rpg themed? I'm not interested about growing wheat and farming sheep, I want to explore the world and find dungeons and towers and monsters.

OMP Sigma is a good exploration/magic pack. It has better dungeons (or chocolate quest or whatever it's called), battle towers, infernal mobs, twilight forest and some other structure generation stuff I don't recognise. Also has TiC, thaumcraft, witchery and ars magica. And the Most Important Mod, bibliocraft.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've been running a small NeverMine2 server, which seems to be a mixture of fun exploration and some oddly grindy skill mechanics. I would wait for the next version though, because this version has a bitcoin mining trojan in it, and the guy running the pack won't (or I suspect can't) release a hotfix.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Cicadalek posted:

OMP Sigma is a good exploration/magic pack. It has better dungeons (or chocolate quest or whatever it's called), battle towers, infernal mobs, twilight forest and some other structure generation stuff I don't recognise. Also has TiC, thaumcraft, witchery and ars magica. And the Most Important Mod, bibliocraft.

Thanks, sounds pretty good.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

I've been running a small NeverMine2 server, which seems to be a mixture of fun exploration and some oddly grindy skill mechanics. I would wait for the next version though, because this version has a bitcoin mining trojan in it, and the guy running the pack won't (or I suspect can't) release a hotfix.

wait what

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A couple years ago one of the plus editions had a dungeon mod where labyrinths would generate with the world. They were made of stone bricks and were comprised of 5-7 floors. The rooms had stuff like farms, regular spawners, chests, and even blaze spawners occasionally.

Does anyone remember what mod it was and if any current packs use it? I remember the mazes were a pretty good place to set up a base after you cleared the inner walls out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or that one mod that turned the bottom layer into a huge catacomb with flat bedrock and water / dungeons everywhere?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

DoubleNegative posted:

A couple years ago one of the plus editions had a dungeon mod where labyrinths would generate with the world. They were made of stone bricks and were comprised of 5-7 floors. The rooms had stuff like farms, regular spawners, chests, and even blaze spawners occasionally.

Does anyone remember what mod it was and if any current packs use it? I remember the mazes were a pretty good place to set up a base after you cleared the inner walls out.

Its the roguelike dungeons mod. Pretty much every mainstream pack uses it afaik

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I enjoyed playing the original agrarian skies, so I decided to give agrarian skies 2 a shot. At minimum graphics settings, it runs ~1.2 FPS, even on the splash page. Is there some way to make it better? I can play omp-i without any problem once the world has generated.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

http://technicpack.net/modpack/nevermine-revived.623719/discuss?page=1

One of the mods (MoreTorches) has a trojan in it that tries to mine for bitcoins using your CPU. It's a lovely trojan, and pretty easy to get rid of, but I would still recommend waiting a version.

When someone suggested a hotfix:

quote:

Im sorry but i already modified the last version so you need to wait until the 2.3 update

Which I suspect means "my local version is currently broken and I don't know what source control is".

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Where did he even GET MoreTorches? The only 1.7.10 version I can find is only available on russian sites. Wouldn't that throw up some red flags?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The guy who makes that is literally 14 and got banned from Technic Pack previously for falling for a "spam technicpack.net and you'll get frree steam keys!" scam. He threw a fit on our facebook page.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Anyway the point I'm making is that children have terrible judgment.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my god, i sometimes forget minecraft is a game for children.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I am never allowed to forget.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

The guy who makes that is literally 14 and got banned from Technic Pack previously for falling for a "spam technicpack.net and you'll get frree steam keys!" scam. He threw a fit on our facebook page.

:negative: I wonder how do these people exist? let alone not take some computer classes, or GOSH, ASK A KNOWLEDGEABLE ADULT.

Turtlicious posted:

oh my god, i sometimes forget minecraft is a game for children.

I think the more troublesome part is Curse and the toxic community makes it easy to make things bad for children and hard to remove/fix it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why do I have to pick my resource pack every time I start up in OMP-i?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Reason posted:

Why do I have to pick my resource pack every time I start up in OMP-i?

Piggybacking on this, any idea why people are CONSTANTLY getting timed out while playing on StealthArcher's OMP-i server? It's getting ridiculous. I'm getting time out disconnects every 5 minutes or less.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As far as we can tell it's some sort of packet problem. 1.7 can't take packets over an arbitrary size well, so disconnects come with having that many mods competing for data for blocks, updates, machines, other players.

If someone finds some other issue then great, but it was a problem with the pack before on launch as well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey whaddaya know, disabling the pack got him to fix it in hours. NeverMine 2 is back up and as far as I know malware free, but can you really trust that guy? Just a thought.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is possibly a silly question, but what do the stats in Agricraft MEAN?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

As far as we can tell it's some sort of packet problem. 1.7 can't take packets over an arbitrary size well, so disconnects come with having that many mods competing for data for blocks, updates, machines, other players.

If someone finds some other issue then great, but it was a problem with the pack before on launch as well.

Removing Cauldron cuts it down somewhat, in exchange the server can't even keep 5 TPS as a constant, and there's countless loving errors through the log repeating ad naseum.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

As a bonus, it does a half heart of damage when you say "gently caress" or "poo poo"

but not loving or lovely

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Removing Cauldron cuts it down somewhat, in exchange the server can't even keep 5 TPS as a constant, and there's countless loving errors through the log repeating ad naseum.

Yeah, as far as we can tell there is no good fix for this. It sucks, but welcome to minecraft modding.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yeah, as far as we can tell there is no good fix for this. It sucks, but welcome to minecraft modding.

Welcome to the infinite benefits of a version that never gets replaced. 19 months in 2 days folks! The 1.7 series just won't. loving. Die.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Wizard posted:

From the official FTB wiki entry,

quote:

There are three stats in AgriCraft: Growth, Yield, and Strength. Growth is how fast it matures, Yield is how much fruit it produces, and Strength is how resistant it is to Weeds.

I've never seen any weeds though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ambaire posted:

From the official FTB wiki entry,

I've never seen any weeds though.

I disabled them the moment I read the line in the config, they were dumb in IC2, because everything in CI2 was dumb. So they got axed. Like IC2.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Welcome to the infinite benefits of a version that never gets replaced. 19 months in 2 days folks! The 1.7 series just won't. loving. Die.

Now you know my infatuation with focused mod packs :p

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Now you know my infatuation with focused mod packs :p

Indeed, they're still incredibly shallow and boring though :p

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Indeed, they're still incredibly shallow and boring though :p

One day tfc will have enough mod mods to make a kitchen sink with it. One day.

TrenceJ
Jul 2, 2007
Mmmmm, Pac Dots
Ok, My first few days back into Minecraft have been quite eventful, but now I am starting to get really annoyed with the changes.

I hooked up a bunch of basic fluiducts from a tinkers smelter, with basic servos. Within seconds they all exploded and spilled liquid Iron everywhere.

I have looked through the configs for TE, and cannot see a way to turn this off.

Please tell me there is a way.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TrenceJ posted:

Ok, My first few days back into Minecraft have been quite eventful, but now I am starting to get really annoyed with the changes.

I hooked up a bunch of basic fluiducts from a tinkers smelter, with basic servos. Within seconds they all exploded and spilled liquid Iron everywhere.

I have looked through the configs for TE, and cannot see a way to turn this off.

Please tell me there is a way.

Read the item tooltips

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's an OSHA violation there.

"But the plant operators only used lead lined, rather than invar jacketed pipes. This was a recipe for disaster."

Insert computer animation of accident here.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Essentially the lowest tier fluiducts are tempermental with temperature; too hot and they'll melt. You need at least the second tier if you're dealing with molten metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Growth = How fast the plant grows. Higher is better, 10 is the maximum. I don't have any hard numbers, but it's quite noticable and makes a big difference.

Gain = How much harvest you get off a crop once it's ready to be picked. So if you're growing wheat with a gain of 1-3 you'll get 1 wheat. Gain of 4-6 = 2 wheat, gain of 7-9 = 3 wheat, gain of 10 = 4 wheat. Crops with Gain of 10 are 4x as productive. Yes you can grow 4 pumpkins on a single plant.

Strength = Resistance to weeds. Meaningless if the pack you're in has weeds disabled. Weeds are kind of a dumb mechanic, basically if you leave an empty crop stick planted it has a chance to get weeds on it, which can then spread to adjacent crop sticks, destroying the plants there if they fail a Strength check. 10 Strength = immunity to weeds. If you've never seen a weed, odds are your pack has weeds disabled, so you can ignore this stat. Even if your pack has weeds enabled, just don't be a dumb and leave empty crop sticks planted next to your garden and you'll never get weeds.