Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And here's the comparison with the source game.

PCB Prologue

PCB's prologue is split into two parts, a general backstory of Gensokyo and the actual prologue. The only thing in the former that's really relevant to this discussion is:

quote:

In ancient times, this was a place of terror. Those who wandered too close would be eaten by youkai.
People named this place Gensokyo and never dared to approach.
Most people feared the youkai, but a brave warrior would occasionally rise to challenge them. Some of those brave humans settled in Gensokyo to keep close watch on the youkai.
In those times, humans would fight with youkai every night.
Stories like those were were common in this mountain country, and many places like Gensokyo existed in those times.
Over a thousand years have passed since then...
This, obviously, is the main reason Yukari is so interested in the player army.

The actual prologue is split into three segments, one for each player character. Reimu is sick of the cold and heads out in the direction her intuition tells her to, Marisa sees some cherry blossom petals in the wind and decides to follow them, and Sakuya is worried about whether or not the SDM will have the resources to survive such a long winter, so she heads out to find spring. Basically none of these show up besides that one time Patchouli griped about Sakuya's rationing.

PCB Stage 1

The protagonist just kind of ends up in the middle of mountains. They beat up Cirno along the way, then run into Letty. She picks a fight with Reimu, and gets assaulted by Marisa and Sakuya.

FMW2 tries to make Letty more relevant and has the heroes think she's behind the endless winter. She's not, of course, and joins the party to help restore order to the seasons (so she can go to sleep).

PCB Stage 2

Continuing their wandering, the protagonist somehow enters Mayohiga. Chen tries to chase them off and gets wrecked. Reimu loots the place for good measure too since supposedly bringing utensils back from Mayohiga is good luck. It's probably also worth noting that Chen is much less child-like in PCB, and talks kind of formally.

Meanwhile this game turns stage 2 into a vessel to introduce characters from UFO to the main plot. Basically the same besides that.

PCB Stage 3

After even more wandering, the protagonist bumps into Alice. Who actually has some idea what's going on! She shoots the poo poo with Reimu and Marisa, and gets forcefully interrogated by Sakuya. Afterwards she fills Reimu in on what the cherry points Reimu's been collecting are, gives Sakuya a tip (that Sakuya gets the wrong, yet at the same time correct conclusion from), and... continues to shoot the poo poo with Marisa. I really don't know how Marisa gets through PCB honestly, she just charges around randomly.

FMW2 completely excised stage 3, mostly because Marisa already fought Alice back in 2M. She was just too much of an obvious pick for Marisa to recruit to hold off until PCB, I guess.

PCB Stage 4

For whatever reason, the protagonist figures out they have to go above the clouds. They blow through Lily White as they move onwards, end up in front of the gate to the Netherworld, and sit around until one of the Prismrivers show up. Lunasa informs Reimu about the flower viewing event Yuyuko is setting up, Lyrica dances around Marisa's question on how to open the gate, and Merlin threatens to turn Sakuya into a main dish. Afterwards, the protagonist enters the Netherworld. Reimu shatters the barrier, Marisa is told she just has to fly over it, and Sakuya does something (she probably also flies over it).

Stage 4 is kind of entirely pushed to the side here. The Prismrivers still inform the party about Yuyuko's planned flower viewing, but other than that they're just kind of there. Their chapter even gets hijacked by Ran.

PCB Stage 5

The protagonist's rampage through the Netherworld causes a huge stir, so Youmu flies over to scope out the situation. She is the first person the protagonist runs into who knows exactly what is going on, so she helpfully exposits about how and why she's been stealing spring. Reimu and Marisa are curious about the Saigyo Ayakashi, while Sakuya doesn't care and just wants to eliminate the mastermind.

Youmu's "hold on until the tree blooms, and then I'll return spring" thing shows up in Sakuya's route, by the way.

Stage 5 is where FMW2 finally starts to really change things up. Youmu is much more hesitant to turn her blade on the group she's fought alongside with than some random intruder, and after she's informed about what's going on she makes the decision to stop Yuyuko.

PCB Stage 6

Stage 6 actually starts with Youmu pulling a last stand. After she's swatted aside, the protagonist meets Yuyuko. Who is well aware that the Saigyo Ayakashi is a youkai! She wants to unseal the tree, and it's only in Reimu's route that she actually explains why (to revive the corpse buried underneath). In Marisa's she gets into a snark off, and in Sakuya's she doesn't even mention the tree until the fight starts.

Once she is defeated, spring floods from the Ayakashi and the game ends.

Over here, Yuyuko is completely obsessed with making the tree bloom and meeting the Fujimi girl, to the point she basically ignores everything else. There have also been major backstory changes: Yukari's story implies that the Saigyo Ayakashi isn't actually a youkai in this setting, and that the legends about it are actually about Yuyuko's corpse. Reviving the Saigyo Ayakashi wouldn't doom Gensokyo, it'd just doom Yuyuko; since the tree is sealing Yuyuko's body, her soul can't reincarnate. If it's freed, Yuyuko will immediately pass on. Not that Yuyuko would have even been capable of it: her PCB character profile hints that her powers over death prevent her from restoring life. This is why Yukari was so unconcerned, by the way.

Endings

Of the nine endings, only one shows up at all: Sakuya A. It's the one where Patchouli makes a miniature Netherworld, though originally it was a gift to Remilia instead of Flandre. FMW2 instead goes for a much more elaborate ending that actually attempts to resolve the whole Saigyo Ayakashi thing and incorporate Yuyuko's backstory into the main plot.

By the way, one of the PCB endings has Reimu in a hat. It never shows up again.

Extra Stage

Shortly after PCB, Yuyuko informs the protagonist that Youmu was able to steal spring from Gensokyo because Yukari weakened the barrier between the Netherworld and Gensokyo. Now that the incident is over, though, that barrier should probably be restored. So the protagonist goes over to the Netherworld to look for Yukari, and runs into Chen (who they beat up) and then Ran. After the fight, the protagonist demands to meet Yukari and is told she's still asleep.

The entire Netherworld barrier subplot is dropped in this game. Ran instead shows up in PCB stage 4 to question Marisa's group, then zooms home to wake Yukari early.

Phantasm Stage

The protagonist comes back again at a later hour (youkai wake up at night) and beat up Ran again. This time Yukari comes along, and has a completely nonsensical chat with Marisa and Sakuya. Reimu is the only one to actually bring up the Netherworld barrier, and after the fight yells at Yukari to fix it. She doesn't.

And in FMW2 Yukari... kind of just comes in at the very end to exposit about PCB's backstory. The entire battle basically only happens because it's PCB and you gotta fight Yukari for some reason.

All in all, FMW's adaption of PCB was kind of bland. But to be honest, PCB isn't a particularly easy game to work with. A lot of the dialogue is straight up nonsense, the plot is mostly hidden in the backstory, and Reimu is the only protagonist whose actions even begin to make sense. So sure, I'll take bland.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

All in all, FMW's adaption of PCB was kind of bland. But to be honest, PCB isn't a particularly easy game to work with.A lot of the dialogue is straight up nonsense, the plot is mostly hidden in the backstory, and Reimu is the only protagonist whose actions even begin to make sense.

Hence, why PCB rules hard. All the protagonists act arbitrarily, beat up unconnected people, snark in serious situations, and somehow save the day without really understanding what the hell is going on. It is Top-Tier Touhou. Also, you forgot the most important difference between the original and FMW, Yuyuko and the protagonists rad half-nicknames, half-insults, they give each other before the final battle. Because most are pretty sweet. Oh and Reimu with a hat. WHAT?? :aaaaa:

I guess FMW I must be coming without much of a break though, since the thread title changed and all. I don't get the new title though, does it change into a bad puzzle game halfway through. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 17, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If there's going to be a floating ship does that mean the next game is going to have some sweet sweet carrier action?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Glazius posted:

If there's going to be a floating ship does that mean the next game is going to have some sweet sweet carrier action?

I figured that was it as soon as I saw them freeing Murasa's ship. It already has a captain, after all...

I hope Ichirin is playable. I want see Unzan punching tiny fairies.

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
Wow, how did I miss this for so long, I love touhou and I've been interested in FMW as a huge SRW fan myself.

Oh well at least I get to get in on FMW I, and comment a bit. So hey.

PCB is probably my favorite touhou game, despite the nonsense dialogue and weirdness. I just like all the characters in it, what can I say. Yuyuko's backstory is good, and she's just so great in every subsequent appearance that even if she didn't have that going for her she'd still be amazing :allears:. Youmu is legitimately one of the nicest people in Gensokyo and has to put up with Yuyuko's whims, which generally leads to amusement. Chen, Ran, and Yukari are generally quite fun. And Alice is... well, we've been seeing her for both these games now, what do I need to say about her? She and Marisa are amazing together and they're great in IN, which we'll be getting to soon. PCB also has most of my favorite Danmaku patterns, and Youmu has one of the few stage 5 gimmicks I don't find incredibly annoying to deal with. And it has most of my favorite music, though the instrumentation in it is a bit... overly heavy on synth brass. Fortunately the remixes in this didn't suffer from that.

Even better, we're moving on to SA, which is also one of my favorites, and getting to do stuff with the UFO cast, who I have an great fondness for. Are we going to have UFO's amazingly bloodthirsty Sanae being portrayed? Because that is possibly one of the most hilarious things in Touhou, even if... poor Kogasa. Poor, poor Kogasa. ... Anyhow.

Also, I see we're going to be fighting Keine, which is going to be... interesting, given how she was kinda the only party member in this who actually seemed to care about dealing with the incidents for reasons related to their consequences, rather than just the fact that they're occurring at all. How will our party of slackers and sociopaths deal with not having her around? Will Suika provide everyone with delicious sake? Can Kurumi ever receive a bar of upgrades and become the magical girl we all deserve? Will the thread stop voting for Fairy hegemony? Will we get new remixes of themes? Will we finally find out what's going on with Marisa's dreams? I suppose we'll find out all these answers and more next time BlitzBlast posts! (Or several next times after that)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Does FMW I fix the busted rear end RNG? I swear I've been hit with more 1 percents in a single stage of FMW than playing 16 years of Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem combined.

I want to love this game. I enjoy Touhou lore, but hate bullet hells and love Super Robot War games. I just don't like save scumming every turn. :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The game is actually incredibly easy because there's no penalty for losing units and you can always run away and time out boss spellcards. If you're save scumming, that's your own mental block and not the fault of the game.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Lord Ephraim posted:

Does FMW I fix the busted rear end RNG? I swear I've been hit with more 1 percents in a single stage of FMW than playing 16 years of Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem combined.

I want to love this game. I enjoy Touhou lore, but hate bullet hells and love Super Robot War games. I just don't like save scumming every turn. :(

Pretty sure the game only uses one random number for hits as opposed to fire emblems 2 random numbers averaged, if you are used to that then the game is going to seem like it is stacking the deck because you are used to 1% chance to hit being a 1 in 10000 chance instead of a 1 in 100.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

I played through both FMW E and P without ever saving. You can afford some bad luck man, it won't cost you the game.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Streaming more Genius of Sappheiros in about 90 minutes from now.

One of these days I'll get twitter or something to announce this poo poo, but today is not that day.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh yeah, turns out I'll be away from my computer for a good chunk of summer. So FMW3 is going to go a few chapters in (in an ideal world we'd hit 40 but I doubt it), then pause for a while.

On the plus side, I can at least devote that time to the FMW2 patch.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Gonna stream a no quicksave run of fmw1 in a few miunutes which may end up being a terrible trainwreck or just really boring.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

EDIT: stream's done. Thanks for joining and i'll probably do that again next week.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 24, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Here we go!

Music: Eternity Interlude

This game also starts with a title crawl. I don't think you guys need a refresher of what happened in FMW2, though, so I'm skipping this.

Full Text

quote:

I think I'll help out next incident.

Music: Specter Buster

Smash cut to a battle between Reimu and Yukari!

Yukari posted:

You've improved a bit, but I do wish you'd try a little harder.

If you get tired of fighting Yukari, I'm always game.

I don't appreciate you all barging in and mouthing off.

Reimu, you're like, ten thousand years behind on your training. You should thank her.

And performing for a crowd just adds to the tension.

Whatever. You're both just bored. Besides, I'm strong enough. I don't even need training.

Is that right? There's no telling what future incidents lie in store. If you can't rise to the occasion, you'll set a bad example for your lovely followers.

Who asked for your opinion?

Sanae posted:

Reimu, are you here?

Oh, hey. Speak of the something something.

Hello. What are you all up to?

Suika and I are training Reimu.

Wow, training Reimu?

Not something you see every day, right? Wanna join the audience?

Um, actually, I came here on business. Having you and Alice here works out perfectly, too.

Meaning?

The repairs on Murasa's ship are finally finished!

quote:

Palanquin Ship Hangar
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

After surfacing, the Palanquin Ship crash landed into Youkai Mountain.

We've all been hard at work repairing it since then.

quote:

Moriya Shrine
Music: Secret Mission!

Full Text

quote:

Okay, liftoff! But first, a story about Byakure-

Just go already!

------

quote:

Surfacing

Merlin. Lyrica.

Music plays.

Humans and youkai gathered here at the shrine, the time is nigh... the time for the ship sealed in the depths of the earth to once again rise into the skies!

Ooh, they're making a real ceremony out of this.

Yes, they brought in the Phantom Ensemble and everything. They're pulling out all the stops!

I guess Miss Yasaka and the others believe in going big or going home.

Koakuma, how's the Buddhist reactor's output?

I still don't really get how a religion is a power source, but I guess that's not any weirder than Taoism making your bullets strong.

Steadily increasing. It just passed 50%. Now 60%... 80% and climbing. Releasing the safeties!

Ahh, nothing's more relaxing for me than being in a ship.

From underground to above ground, and soon, into the air. We've come far.

I never would've imagined seeing this six months ago.

Let us be grateful for the string of fate that brought us here.

AKA Reimu's intuition.

Today, we set out upon our next step, in the Palanquin Ship!

Buddhist reactor output at maximum and stable. We're ready!

Make this count, Murasa!

Time to fly! Rise, Palanquin Ship!

Music: Ark of the Spring Sky

Cue an in-engine cutscene!

The Palanquin Ship rumbles,

and takes off!

It goes all the way above the clouds, which makes the fact it appears to be hovering at the same height as everyone else in all other appearances kind of weird.

It flew! It really flew!

The crowd goes nuts.

Bravo! Our experiment was a great success!

We did it, Patchouli! Our research won the day!

If it was going to fly without a hitch, why aren't we on board?

Oh, Lady Patchouli. You can never just be happy about something.

So, Murasa, how's it feel to fly?

The controls are passable. I can fly pretty well with this.

That's one step on our journey to save Hijiri. Our battle has begun!

Yes, let's go!

Go where, exactly?

I like how they are all apparently just yelling really, really, loudly. SRW usually had some kind of radio channel as an excuse for this, but over here they are literally just screaming past the cloud cover.

Uhh...

I take it that was a spur of the moment thing.

Well, um, let's start with a trial run. Perhaps a lap around the area...

Good call. It sure beats sitting around.

For a ceremony this big, you need some excitement. This should liven things up!

Suika rushes out and gathers a bunch of enemies.

Huh? What's up, Suika?

You need opponents to test your strength, right? I'll be one.

Uh, that's not what we meant by a trial run.

Please don't go wrecking Youkai Mountain.

I'm not gonna turn down the chance to liven up a party!

Suika knows the score. This'll be a great side show for the ceremony. Hey, all of you, watching on the sidelines! Join in!

Wait, you talking about us?!

You're already this close. Fly with the ship, and you can see it even further up close.

Fine. You just want us to fly with it, right?

Nitori posted:

Oh, Marisa. You're missing your usual Hakkero.

Yeah, I left it with Kourin for some maintenance. He should be done with it tomorrow night, so I might stop by tonight to pick it up.

drat it Marisa, Reimu is supposed to be the Nu Gundam here! Though I guess this could be Mazinger randomly not starting with its Scrander.

Anyway, Marisa's movelist has returned to pre-4M, only with Proto Malice Cannon.

Make sure to back off if it gets too hard for you without it. I notice that you aren't joining the danmaku battle, Keine?

Yes, I'd rather protect Akyu from stray bullets.

Do we have rivals?! They're raising their own racket here!

In that case, we just have to make sure our music keeps the hype train going!

Oh, dear. This is turning into an all-out brawl.

This ship isn't exactly meant for combat...

Heh, heh, heh. Or is it?

...?

Okay, let's do this! Here's our kind of welcoming bash... a danmaku battle!

quote:

Victory: Reduce Suika's HP to 20%.
Defeat: Any allies are defeated.

And I'm back at the Moriya Shrine. All of the special terrain from last time is still here, but there's no point in using them.

Everybody's skills have been refunded again, but the Personal Skills are all still what they were before.

Now that I have a mothership, all my units have the option to board it. This slices off 10 Power right away, but also lets them regenerate a good chunk of HP/MP at the beginning of every turn. They can also move with the ship, and deploy without losing their turn.

The enemies are all above level 30, which actually makes them stronger than most of my FMW2 party. They're still wimps though, so it's easy experience.

Like most SRW battleships, the Palanquin Ship doesn't have many post movement attacks.

I never thought the Miss's ship would have weapons on it.

Well, it's not like we can just take them off. And I don't really want to wreck the ship again, so... Wait, what? I don't remember seeing this button before.

She's got pretty sharp eyes, she should find it soon.

The latest and greatest weapon we kappa put in!

Wait, did you take advantage of our situa-

Wow, this is so cool! Okay, let's go full speed ahead. Palaquin Ship, prepare to fire!

Give me a break...

Also like most SRW battleships, the Palanquin Ship is kind of weak. Mostly because Murasa's stats are geared toward Melee, not Ranged.

Marisa posted:

There they go. That's their standard danmaku field.
As always, the first enemy phase of the first stage has a danmaku tutorial. I accidentally had Hokuto translate this instead of the Palanquin Ship's battle conversation It's kind of amusing, so here

Palanquin Ship crew, do you know what to do at times like this?

When you go into a danmaku field, your evasiveness and defensive capabilities drop, right? What are we supposed to do about that, again?

Just switch to low speed mode and proceed with caution. It'll slow us down, but it'll cancel out the negative effects of the danmaku field.

And if you defeat the enemy unit in the center of the field, you can get rid of the field entirely.

You can always get rid of the field with a bomb or something in a pinch. Just use them wisely.

You guys are pretty well versed in this.

Stop acting impressed and start getting versed, yourself. I'll write all of the details down in the manual. Try to read up on it.

Yes, ma'am...

Losing the mothership is a game over condition in SRW, so the AI tends to zoom for them.

But the ships are usually super tanky, so it's not a real issue against grunts.

Meiling posted:

Ack, the ship's already airborne!

I blame Komachi for dragging her feet.

Normally these things have speeches that take all day. I figured we could afford to be late.

Lady Patchouli, I see the others from the mansion.

You're a little late. I see you brought Cirno and Daiyousei with you.

Yes, we ran into them en route, and they asked to join us.

Isn't this nice, Cirno? The ship is really flying!

Yeah, it's kinda cool.

You came at the perfect time. Would you mind joining us?

Let me guess...

It's not a very hard guess. A danmaku battle, right?

Cut to across the battlefield.

Shizuha, there are more people joining in.

Then we should get in on this, too.

Hina posted:

Wait, why am I getting dragged into this?

You wouldn't want to miss out on this, Hina! Then you'd just look silly!

I doubt that...

The party's getting bigger. How about we try out something neat? Reimu, Marisa. Try pairing up!

Uh, what?

Do you want to take a picture of us with the ship in the background or something?

Nah. Team up and put your danmaku together!

It's easier alone, though.

Oh, stop whining and try it!

Okay, then...

Marisa flies into Reimu...

And the Trichromatic Lotus Butterfly is born. I didn't make up that team name, incidentally, the game has preset names for a bunch of different teams.

The person in front depends on the protagonist. There are also different conversations.

Reimu's route posted:

Hey! Why are you out front, Reimu?

Because it'd be harder for me to do anything if I was flying behind someone.

Just try not to crash into me, okay?

Yeesh, whatever you say.

Marisa's route posted:

Shotgun!

Hey! Why are you up front, Marisa?

You know what they say, first come, first served. It feels pretty good to fly ahead of you.

Yeah, whatever...
There, now you're divided into front and back.

Could we get more teams in here, while we're at it?

What do you say, Sakuya?

...Fine, as long as you don't slow me down.

Sakuya and Meiling join up.

Wanna go for it, Dai? If we do that, we could try out that trick we practiced together.

Sure, I can join you!

Cirno and Dai also join up.

Okay, we're teamed up. What now?

Don't think too hard about it. Use the "Swap" command to pick who's at the front and back, then just do like you've been doing. The one in front will attack like normal, and the one in back will back them up.

There goes the fourth wall.

What do you mean, back them up?

The unit in back will attack alongside the one in front. You can always add more firepower, whether you're attacking or countering. But you can't use all your attacks in the back, and they still consume ammo and stuff, so watch out for that.

Just hearing a lecture isn't helping me much.

Yeah, guess not. You can try it out in battle!

And remember, you can always use the "Swap" command with the △ button.

quote:

Victory: Reduce Suika's HP to 20%.
Defeat: Any allies are defeated.
Bonus: Reimu, Sakuya, and Cirno initiate an attack.

The bonus is a really basic tutorial on the team system.

Since Marisa starts in front, to get Reimu to talk I need to flip the team's positions. This is as easy as pressing Triangle.

I can access the spirits of each. Most of them only affect the character who cast them, but some affect both.

Example: Accel.

FMW3 is a fairly lax game, especially on Normal, so I don't need to go for optimal team setups. But if you really wanted to one of the things you'd need to take into account is what spirits the backrow member can contribute to the person in front. Meiling, for instance, would appreciate having someone cast Accel on her.

Less important is that character's team attack, which is indicated by that white circle to the right. At the start of every attack, the character in the back will chip in with an extra attack. While obviously you'd want to pick characters with strong team attacks, usually it doesn't matter much. Extra damage is extra damage.

Much more important is what you're losing. You can't split teams once they've been formed (and you pick them on the intermission screen, incidentally), so making one means losing an action every turn. This is where the Cost mechanic really starts to make dividends too, since pairing up super teams also means making deeper cuts into your cost. Generally you'll want to keep 3.0 or higher cost characters on their own and team up lower cost units, though of course it depends on the character.

But again, this is an easy game on Normal. You want to pair up two 3.5s? Go for it. Just, uh, don't expect to deploy too many units.

Okay Reimu, let's go beat up those fairies!

Something wrong?

Not really. My equipment is giving me a bad feeling for some reason.

Is that so? I can't see anything different about it.

(No way, is she nervous? That's not like her.)

What's wrong? You're awfully quiet.

Nah, it's nothing. Let's just keep it relaxed this time then.

So with all that in mind, Reimu and Marisa are actually an awful team. Sure you get Accel on Reimu, and Marisa's team attack hits fairly hard. But you're giving up one of your protagonists. Individually they're great, but being together means you get less done per turn. It doesn't help that Reimu is still out of Marisa's effective range, so you can't swap from Master Spark to Fantasy Seal or anything like that.

I guess you can use their combination easier, at least. But that still sucks so.

Here's an example of a better team. The Scarlet Devil's Servant Team (alternatively Faultless Fist and Knife, some teams get two names) is essentially a jacked up Sakuya.

Now that we've teamed up, can we still use Support Defend?

Yup, as long as the rear has the skill then they can cover the front.

Until now I've had to be careful about where I'm standing, but in a team it's easy. Look, I can protect Sakuya's back just like tha-

I'll be alright, I'll just defeat them with Counter first.

No way, couldn't you rely on me a little?

Team attacks ignore the usual range restrictions, so even though Sakuya attacked from just past 1-2 range, Meiling could punch the crap out of that fairy anyways. And as the conversation notes, characters in the back can also Support Defend the person in front, so putting a Super in the back provides a nice safety net for whoever's in front. This is especially appreciated with Sakuya, since if you recall her gimmick is nullifying attacks.

If we're together like this, we can do that combination attack!

Oh, like Reimu and Marisa or the Aki Sisters? Bingo, when you're paired up you can use those without worrying about positioning and stuff. Power and MP are still problems though, so keep an eye on those.

So now I can help Cirno even more.

Well duh! You and I are always together!

We've been practicing this combination attack a lot. Let's try it out!
The attack is absolute trash.

Lastly, Cirno and Dai. They're around to tell you that combination attacks (and friendships) still work if characters are on the same team,

but in practice they really just show you what most teams will be like: two units ducktaped together. They do more damage, and if they're lucky they'll get to share a spirit or two. And that's fine, not every team can be better than the sum of its parts.

:toot:

Once the three teams form up, everyone gets much more chatty. And I mean that for the rest of the game, because holy crap FMW3 has so much mid-battle conversation. Like, there was literally a patch that added in dozens.

Having a danmaku battle in public like this reminds me of running a show. Perhaps I should let these children out as well.

My, you have more dolls than before.

I have a surplus of magical power. From now on, I can call out a doll whenever I want.

And indeed, Alice can now summon a Hourai Doll without equipping a personal skill.

Reimu and Marisa make quite the combination. Lady Kanako and Suwako too.

Sanae, what's wrong? You look troubled.

You're in front of a lot of youkai, so even if you're scared you have to do your best~.

Y-yes, of course!

(I can't be feeling jealous. I need to get a hold of myself.)

Sanae is kind of screwed this chapter, because it's way too short for her to properly build faith. She'll just have to make do with being Subpar Reimu.

hey guess who still doesn't start with ignore distance

With a fight this rowdy, do we even need the Phantom Ensemble?

We can do more than just solo lives.

It's been a while since we've had a sponsor this big, so our wallets were pretty noisy.

You guys are our backup, so you all better get pumped too~.

yup

First I ended up fighting, and now I need to team up with someone... Though I suppose whoever I team up with will be quite unfortunate.

You'll be fine. Ever since that last incident, you've been worrying too much.

Yeah, I think this is your chance to get more friendly with everyone!

You're all rather positive. I suppose I'll be depending on your kindness again.

Okay, I can do this! I'll show them the power of the harvest!

Autumn is getting closer, so those sisters are getting stronger.

They're pretty awful during the winter, though... and to be honest, they're troublesome either way.

Thanks to being passed over for basically an entire game, Hina and the Akis are lackluster.

These ema racks are a bonus conversation spot. I have enough things to translate this chapter though, so I'm skipping it.

I've been participating in danmaku battles more and more it seems... I'm starting to think they're not that bad.

Oh, you were thinking about that too?

No matter how it might happen, coming into contact with the humans always keeps things fresh.

It took four attacks, but Team Benched managed to beat a bog standard kedama.

Also I am reminded for the umpteenth time that Hina has a new attack in this game.

Much more importantly, the Palanquin Ship hit 120 Power.

Gwaaaaah!

C-Cirno!

Hey! Watch where you're firing that thing!

Uh, sorry. It had a lot more oomph than I was expecting.

The more oomph it's got, the more careful you've gotta be aiming it!

But hey, that was a great action shot. And I totally caught it on camera. Wanna take another shot at someone?

This is so cool!

Sure is!

Sheesh. If people are watching us, we really can't afford to mess up. Murasa, watch out with your next shot.

Uh, yeah. Good call!

hey ryza

Music: A Certain Misfortune God's Song

did you know hina has a new theme in this game

Gray Esoterica was redrawn in one of the later patches of this game. The new one is much faster.

Still has the same dynamic kill though.

Suika is not very tough.

I want to at least try and kill her though, because she drops a Firefly Gem. If the name "Imperishable Night" didn't tip you off, there's going to be a lot of Night stages!

Thankfully, since it's possible someone might be playing this with zero carryover data (and thus start with no Firefly Gems), I can get up to four more Firefly gems across the first half of the game.

Lady Patchouli, you've done an amazing job. You've been out of the mansion a lot lately, so the mistress and the young mistress were getting worried.

This was a special case. I'll be withdrawing to the library afterwards.

I see. That's too bad, I thought I would finally get more chances to go out

What if we brought some books into that ship?

...That could work. There are already bookshelves there too.

It's probably worth noting that the order of attacks goes Team Attack > Regular Attack > Enemy Attack. So if a unit were to, say, trigger Pattern Type, their partner would give them a hand in killing the enemy before they can even attack.

Sheesh, figures. Without the mini-Hakkero my magic's just not the same. But I gotta be patient while it's getting fixed up.

Hey, Marisa! Don't look away from the battle like that!

Oh, right. First things first is this danmaku battle!

Suika has 18000 HP, so I can push her to 3601. It's a lot of leeway.

So Dai has a new attack.

Dai, are you scared? Should I take your place and fight for you?

No, I'm fine. I've been practicing danmaku too.

Look! These are my special fire bullets!

!?

D-Dai- agh, hot! I'm meltiiiing!

It's a reference to how she inexplicably has fireball bullets in Great Fairy Wars.

It's awful.

But hey, I need to chip down Suika's health somehow.

Hina was not particularly helpful.

This would actually be a good time to use Trichromatic, but Reimu and Marisa don't have enough Power.

So I go for Fantasy Seal + Valor + Danmaku Power 2 + Magic Missile and

just barely don't do enough.

Also Reimu gets hit on a 3%.

This seems like a wonderful start.

Eh, not too shabby.

We've gotten the hang of flying this. I'd say that's a good stopping point.

We got to use some great weapons there. That was a good breaking-in exercise!

How was it, girls? That was your first battle in pairs, right?

It feels a little cramped, but I guess that's something you get used to.

We can think of some other possible teams when we have a break, later.

The sun's starting to set, so how about we move on to the next entertainment?

The next entertainment? Let me guess...

The banquet, of course. It's in celebration of the Palanquin Ship's flight.

Sweet! We can hold it in the ship's banquet hall!

No, I'd rather the ship return to where it took off from.

Yeah, we'll need to inspect its parts after that big battle it just had.

Sorry, Captain. Maybe next time.

It's not over until we're moored. Let's make sure we land this safely.

Okay, then we're gonna head back and get things started.

So that's the rumored flying ship. It's so different seeing it in person, compared to seeing it through a camera.

They were talking about a party. Are Aya and Momiji on board?

I wish I could join them, but I barely know any of those youkai...

Grr, I need to show some guts! If I pass this up, I'll never get another shot!

:sigh:

Oh, and Minoriko's PS gives me cucumbers now.

------

On Lunatic this chapter is tedious because the default levels are hilariously low. I basically have to park everyone on top of the shrine to make it through. It's still easy to get the bonus, and if I play my cards right I can kill Suika (who thankfully charges the shrine so I don't have to worry about getting to her) anyway, but I didn't bother and just sped on though because man. I am so sick of chapters 35 and 36. You have no idea how glad I was that FMW4 starts off in high gear.

------

The game has stopped. Thank you for your efforts.

...But you know, I never would have thought the Palanquin Ship would be equipped with things like that. Those kappa really need to keep things in moderatio-

What are you talking about? Those are the just the thing for this kind of game. You should congratulate us!

Battleships are any boy's dream!

Aren't you a girl? Why would you say that?

I'm just glad to finally be here. I hope our dreams can all fly together. We should aim to be like the Motherly Vanguard!

I'd rather have one that can handle itself alone in a pinch, like Orphan.

This game's pretty cheerful, so how about getting put in charge of a new battleship? This isn't an anime, you know. Kids can be captains too.

What's with that look on your face? You got something to say?!

What about you, Rinnosuke? Do you have any fantasies for a battleship?

Me? Hmm... well if you really want something, it would be nice if we named it the Rinnosuke Horse Jr and gave it a Beam Ram.

You don't agree?

Something about it just doesn't sit right with me...

Normally, you're supposed to yell about the port side.

Oh. I'll keep that in mind...

Thanks to whoever works on the FMW wiki, because half the references in this intermission flew right over mine and Hokuto's heads.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 26, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Moriya Shrine
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Reimu, you've grown too powerful for your weapons to handle. You need an upgrade.

Well that's one way to reference a pilot's reaction times exceeding their machine's.

Hey, let's go fly around some more!

Take me with you!

------

The intermission screen has been redesigned to be much easier to use. I can track my top aces,

jump to any character's equipment/upgrade/skill menus from the deployment screen,

and boost WP levels from the upgrade screen.

I can now directly pump PP into stats (the stat up skills were dropped, which I guess was for the best),

and all of the items have snazzy icons now.

Speaking of the items, the FMW E and P carryover data items have effects now. The Scarlet Soul boosts damage by x1.1 when Power is over 120, and the Mystic Memory reduces SP costs by 20%. Both of them stack with similar effects, and yes both of them ended up being alliterative in english. Neat how that works.

Since I only have three Firefly Gems, one of the humans is going to be dead weight until I get my next shot at a fourth. Which, thankfully, is next chapter!

Back at the Skill menu, there are some neat new skills. Reimu picks up one of them, Blocking, which gives her Parry. Because you know, she didn't have enough ways to dodge attacks.

The sword and shield icons on the status screen will tell you if a character will get Parry or Shield Defense (or both) from Blocking. If neither of them are highlighted, they can't learn Blocking at all.

Reimu also snags Break Power Limit, which boosts her maximum Power to 170. FMW2 tied maximum Power to WP level, but I guess they changed their mind for FMW3.

Meanwhile Sakuya has her eyes on Diligence, which buffs the activation rate of Parry, Shield Defense, Counter, and most importantly anything that acts as Double Image. Like Private Square.

And Meiling, along with any other tank, will want Guard, which lowers damage received by 10% once the unit's Power is over 120. It levels up, as do a lot of other skills in this game. Shotgunning, Predict, and Belief (which now buffs Melee/Ranged) were even changed into level up skills!

------
FMW3 really rebalanced things, so I'll be touching over all the old characters.

Reimu Hakurei
New Spirits: Zeal (learned after an event)

After two games of being on top, Reimu has finally slowed down. Or rather, everyone else has caught up. FMW3 implemented dodge decay (as a unit continues to dodge attacks on one enemy phase, their evasion rate decreases), but that hurts her less than you'd think. It's just that there are so many absurd characters now that Reimu is but one of many. I would still put her on top, but a) I'm biased and b) a lot of that is from sheer inertia. I used her for most/all of E and P, so I'm not exactly going to stop for I. Well, I say that but you guys are probably never going to vote her in.
Hilariously, Reimu in FMW3 resembles Marisa in FMW1. She'll be getting a string of minor/major upgrades throughout the game that'll really bump her up, and while I wouldn't say she ends up the best unit (unless you dump all of the WP into her), I would definitely say she'll always be near the top. And, as is customary, with like zero effort.

Marisa Kirisame
New Personal Skill: Danmaku Power Lvl 3 (100% more MP, 40% more damage)
Alice Margatroid
Changes: Can now create Hourai Dolls by default, has a new skill called Precise that boosts damage of Criticals.
New Personal Skills: Puppeteer (+8% Hit/Evade rates for every doll in a 3 panel radius. Dolls get the same boost), Doll Master (can summon two more dolls)
New Spirits: Fury (23), Triumph [next attack is a critical hit] (32)

The Aria of Forbidden Magic Team (or just Magic Team) is in the running for the best team in the game, so you can expect to see these two glued to each other's side for the entire LP. Just like how Reimu is FMW1 Marisa, Marisa is FMW1 Reimu: she starts great and is going to stay great. Meanwhile Alice has been severely buffed since FMW2, and can finally ditch her role as all-star Support Attacker to focus on other things.
Magic Team is one of the few teams to really have some synergy going on. Alice's massive range of attack is increased even further thanks to Marisa's Accel, and she can almost guarantee kills on most grunts thanks to Marisa's strong team attack. Meanwhile Marisa appreciates Alice's higher Focused movement range and benefits greatly from Triumph since it buffs her damage without tearing into her SP. Alice has a strong team attack herself too, so leading with Marisa maximizes damage. Oh, and the team gets a +15% (10% if you didn't carry over a save where you convinced Alice on 2M or chose her on 29M) Hit/Evade boost just for existing, that's pretty great.

Daiyousei
Changes: Healer now turns Trust into Trust+. Has two new attacks.

Dai still heals people, but now she has new attacks! That she'll never use. Her Healer skill is the first you'll see of the + spirits; these things affect both members of a team.

Cirno
Changes: Freeze now makes Ice Beam inflict a -20% evasion debuff. Has two new attacks.
New Spirits: Faith (38)

Cirno is still Cirno. Pretty strong, but can't hit for beans. Her new debuff sort of helps with that, and Ignore Size being purchaseable is helpful. Oh and her new combination with Dai is utterly pointless.
She gets Faith because it's called Friendship in japanese.

Koakuma
New Personal Skills: Koa Fighter (increases damage of Bubble Bullets and makes it post movement), Self-healing (can use Renew on herself), Energy Supply (gains 5 Power every time she uses Renew)
New Spirits: Renew [fully restores one unit's MP and Ammo, yes it has the same name as her ability, welcome to SRW translations] (58)

Koa is still Koa. She's actually not all that helpful in the back because unlike other SRW games, having an MP restorer in a team doesn't grant that entire team MP Regen.

Patchouli Knowledge
Changes: Unmoving Library now also buffs her barrier's strength by 300.
New Personal Skills: Cyclical Magic System (Restores 20 MP whenever Magic Barrier nullifies an attack)
New Spirits: Fury (31), Faith (39)
Nitori Kawashiro
Changes: Nothing.

Patchy and Nitori make up Magic-Science Academia, but I just call them Team Mediocre. Magic Team is so good as is that there's barely any point to trying to drag these two along. They're still Marisa's SA teammates so I usually at least try, but I've never been impressed.
If you were curious, Marisa B (Catalogue of Forbidden Books/I'm Not Holding Anything~) and Marisa C (A Sworn Friend's Bond) are bad because they're not Magic Team. Also because the only way you'd get anything out of them is to keep Marisa in the back to spam Accel, which is sort of a waste!

Sakuya Izayoi
Changes: Elegant now increases Skill by 20 at 130 Power.
New Personal Skills: Time Paradox (can Support Attack herself if Sakuya has 30 more Skill than the opponent)
New Spirits: Wrath [deal x1.25 damage for a turn, zeroes critical rate] (47)
Meiling Hong
Changes: Qigong is now equivalent to Blocking.
New Personal Skills: SDM's Dragon (Meiling can use Support Defend on player phase. Limited uses.)
New Spirits: Grit (32), Valor (46)

Say hello to the former best team in the game. Servant Team used to be hilarious because Sakuya could trigger Time Paradox from the back. This made her the only person capable of essentially picking her team attack, and with Meiling in front she was effectively immortal. Also, you know, you had Meiling in front so that's a bunch of Support Defends for everyone else to use. Then that got patched out, so she has to choose between Private Square (survival) and Time Paradox (damage). And unfortunately there's no real right answer. It doesn't help that eventually another person will join who really, really wants Meiling as a partner.
On the other hand, most of Sakuya's faults only start becoming apparent once you hit SA. Servant Team will do just fine for IN.

As for Meiling, her new PS makes her one of the best backrow members in the game. It essentially gives the person in front a free Alert, and that's good no matter who you are. Only real problem is that it takes up a Support Attack slot, so if someone really needed to use that (*cough* Sakuya's Time Paradox counts as her Support Attacking herself *cough*) they're out of luck!

Keine Kamishirasawa
Changes: Valor is now learned at level 45.

Keine has pretty much completely dropped off as a valid tank now. Good thing it's IN and she's due for an upgrade.

Komachi Onozuka
New Personal Skill: Scythe of Exorcism (lets her use Taste of Death after moving)
New Spirits: Daunt (39), Triumph (50)

Oh man, Komachi. She's probably the worst 2.5 solely because she has nothing going for her. Even Daunt isn't all that useful because I'll be getting a much more effective source of debuffing enemy Power soon.

Minoriko Aki
New Spirits: Valor (46)
Shizuha Aki
Changes: Golden Autumn now raises Shizuha's Power by 5 every time she does a Support Attack.
New Personal Skill: Good Sister (does full damage in Support/Team Attacks, but it's bugged and only works with Team Attacks)
New Spirits: Triumph (35), Rouse (47)

The Aki Sisters have full spirit sets now, and that's about it. Shizuha's Attune is as useful as ever, free SP restoration items are always nice, and Super Aki Sisters Kick does solid damage. I've done MoF runs of this game before, the Akis are fine.

Hina Kagiyama
Changes: Centrifugal Force now buffs damage and critical rate. Has a new attack.
New Personal Skill: Sacrificial Doll (Hina will Support Defend a unit of your choice the next time they're attacked)
New Spirits: Triumph (31), Sacrifice [Next attack deals x1.8 damage, but next enemy attack is also guaranteed to hit.] (50)

Hina has both Accel and Triumph, so she's already a good backrow character by default. Being able to skip over Sacrifice's negative effect and safely use her new PS without worrying about her HP is just icing on the cake. Just... don't put her in front.

Momiji Inubashiri
Changes: Telegnosis now decreases Snipe's SP cost to 15.
New Personal Skill: Front Guard (100% chance of Shield Defense while in the front of a team. Halves damage dealt), Patrol Tengu: (Support Attack/Defend level +1, even if they were at level 0.)
New Spirits: Valor (47)
Aya Shameimaru
Changes: Supreme Speed no longer has its debuff. Valor is now only 40 SP. Her initial skills swapped out Predict and P-Damage for Instinct Dodge and P-Hit. She and her finisher have a S rank in the Air. Can now switch if she's focused or not after moving.
New Personal Skill: Break Through (ignore generic danmaku penalties for a turn, limited uses)
New Spirits: Mercy (has by default)

Valor alone keeps Momiji as one of the premier tanks, and Diligence's buff to Shield Defense is just gravy. Meanwhile someone at Sanbondo apparently found out about the injustice that was FMW2 Aya, because she's gotten some massive buffs coming into this game. Too bad 90% of the time she's going to be stapled on to someone to make them go faster.
The Sacred Mountain's Tengu Team is more serviceable than all-star, but they'll never let you down. They're the Reimu route equivalent to Servant Team.

Sanae Kochiya
Changes: Lost SP Regenerate. I think the way Faith gains were handled was edited?
New Personal Skills: Max God (At 100%, faith gauge freezes and Sanae is unaffected by evasion decay. Sanae also gets buffs to everything.), Wind Sign (trade 10% faith for 25 SP, limited uses), "Land, Sky and Human" (boosts Sanae's friendships with her gods, and lets her gain faith from their actions)
New Spirits: Fury (35)

Yes, Kanako and Suwako will be joining. This was in the FMW I trailer, it's not a spoiler. The Moriya Faith Katamari is one of the funnier strategies, but Sanae stands fine alone too. I mean, she has Shrine Maiden. You really can't go wrong with that.

Shou Toramaru
Changes: Learned Buddhist (Increases Melee, Defense, and Accuracy by a certain amount. Scales with Power.)
New Spirits: Fury (29)
Nazrin
Changes: Clever Commander now reduces Focus' SP cost to 10. Learned Buddhist.
New Personal Skills: Pendulumn Guard (gain four 2000 HP pendulums to take hits for her. Like a guaranteed but consumable Shield Defense)
New Spirits: Triumph (32), Assault [Casts Strike, Accel, and Valor] (44)

The Abandoned Temple's Afterglow Team (Temple Team?) is nice. Nazrin provides Triumph and debuffs, Shou provides okay damage. Like most other "natural" teams they have a 10% friendship. They're even both 2.0 units so you'd want to team them up anyways.

And finally, the actually new characters:

Minamitsu Murasa
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +2, Ally Killed: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Buddhist
Personal Skills: Venus on Board (doubles HP/MP regeneration rate of all docked units), Full Speed Ahead (Unfocused/Focused Move +1), Naval Tactics (+20 Range)
Spirits: Fury, Strike, Spirit, Grit, Valor (46)
Ichirin Kumoi
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +2, Ally Killed: +2, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Buddhist
Spirits: Trust, Focus, Strike, Gain

The Buddhist Youkai didn't actually have a team name in FMW3 (since they never leave the ship), but I might as well use their FMW4 one. Ichirin is just a subpilot, so she doesn't do anything but cast spirits. Meanwhile, Murasa (her first name is Minamitsu but people call her Murasa because it's shorter) is in the unfortunate position of being incredibly unsuited for her own ship. Her highest offense stat is Melee, while the ship is almost entirely Ranged moves. As such, the Palanquin Ship continues the proud SRW battleship tradition of being absolutely trash at dealing damage. It's got good utility purposes though, and is about as durable as you'd expect a giant battleship to be. The ship is forced in every single chapter of this game, so it's worth it to invest some time into it. Ichirin having Gain makes it pretty easy too.
"Buddhist" is actually "Power of Buddhism", but that's kind of long.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Ark of the Spring Sky (At the End of Spring)
Murasa's theme: Crossanchor Murasa (Captain Murasa, Crossbone Gundam)
Ichirin's theme: The Cloud's Fist (The Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl)

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

A short while after the Palanquin Ship's flight test, we set out for a voyage through the night sky. And underneath the beautiful moon, the usual fairies were causing trouble.

Chapter 36 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "Fugitive".

It's time for my danmaku battle debut!

------

Thanks to the addition of teams, voting is going to change up a bit: you can either vote one person (in which case they'll stand alone) or two (in which case they'll be a team). I'll be marking levels from now on so you can get a better sense of who hasn't been used in a while.

Try not to just spam teams, by the way. You'll be sucking up cost that other people need to vote!

Total Cost: 25.0
Palanquin Ship (always forced)

Reimu (32)
Sanae (32)
Marisa (33)
Alice (30)
Sakuya (31)
Meiling (28)
FA Nitori (25)
Keine (23)
Komachi (23)
Patchouli (29)
Aya (26)
Momiji (28)

Cirno (23)
Minoriko (23)
Shizuha (24)
Nitori (25)
Hina (23)
Koakuma (22)
Shou (24)
Nazrin (26)

Daiyousei (24)

I hope by now you guys know who I'm forcing. You have 20.0.

(Cost only starts spiking up after chapter 40. It'll be kind of cramped until then if you want to use teams.)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 23, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Bring Momiji, friend of all who don't want to die, 17.5

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Aya for 15.0

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Murasa (her first name is Minamitsu but people call her Murasa because it's shorter)

It doesn't help that her theme name is Captain Murasa, either.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sakuya, the actual protagonist for 12.5.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Team Green Hair (Sanae and Daiyousei) 8.5

If this isn't what you meant by voting for teams feel free to disregard

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Komachi for 6, because she is cool which makes up for any mediocrity. You can pair her with Sakuya because they seem to be bros, and otherwise you'd probably get servant team which seems too useful for how this voting usually goes.

Are there any other team names for any of the combinations you're not using? Because Marisa seems to have like 4, while most don't seem to have more than 1. I'd just find it interesting to see what characters the game expects you to team up.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are there any other team names for any of the combinations you're not using? Because Marisa seems to have like 4, while most don't seem to have more than 1. I'd just find it interesting to see what characters the game expects you to team up.

There are a whole bunch of them that were added in a major patch.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Temple Team (Shou and Nazrin) will be chosen because they are great. Remaining cost is now 2.0.

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 24, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Most of the canon pairings have a team name, as well as some of FMW's added friendships (like Sakuya and Komachi is Unlikely Friends or something like that IIRC). Aside from that, there are a few random joke team names, like if you pair up Luna and Lunasa you get Silent Moon. Dai in particular is nuts with this, because pairing her up with like half the cast results in PreCure jokes, like Dai/Sanae is Cure Miracle, Dai/Mystia is Cure Chorus, Dai/Rumia is Cure Darkness, Dai/Star is Cure Sapphire, and so on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Most of the canon pairings have a team name, as well as some of FMW's added friendships (like Sakuya and Komachi is Unlikely Friends or something like that IIRC). Aside from that, there are a few random joke team names, like if you pair up Luna and Lunasa you get Silent Moon. Dai in particular is nuts with this, because pairing her up with like half the cast results in PreCure jokes, like Dai/Sanae is Cure Miracle, Dai/Mystia is Cure Chorus, Dai/Rumia is Cure Darkness, Dai/Star is Cure Sapphire, and so on.

See, I need to know the best joke names so that I can vote for them all the time, regardless of practicality or if it even makes sense.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Komachi for 6, because she is cool which makes up for any mediocrity.

I was going to do this, but I took too long reading the update. Thank you!

Golden Battler posted:

pairing [Dai] up with like half the cast results in PreCure jokes

:stare:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Cirno to round things out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

See, I need to know the best joke names so that I can vote for them all the time, regardless of practicality or if it even makes sense.

The idea is that you guys pick random teams and I check to see if there's a name.

Dr Pepper posted:

Team Green Hair (Sanae and Daiyousei) 8.5

If this isn't what you meant by voting for teams feel free to disregard

Yes, this is how it's supposed to work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A Buddhist Reactor makes me think of a guy meditating in a radiation containment vessel.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's 法力炉, "Power of Buddhism Reactor". I've suggested a few other substitutes, but none really work out very well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess the idea is that if faith is a quantifiable resource, there's nothing really stopping religions from being used as batteries.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
So I figure it's fine if I post the Palanquin Ship's take-off sequence?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, I like how this is picking up hints from SRW. You can always get team attacks with units in proximity, right? They don't have to be in a unit together?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, I've just thought of a great team for next round Nameless Midbosses Daiyousei and Koakuma. But it'll probably just be another Precure.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am totally fine with the 'throw random people in a team together and see if there's a name' strategy.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Glazius posted:

Ah, I like how this is picking up hints from SRW. You can always get team attacks with units in proximity, right? They don't have to be in a unit together?

If by "team attacks" you meant combo attacks like Malice Cannon, and "proximity" you mean "within 1 tile, diagonals included" then yeah. Otherwise no.

Ardeem posted:

Man, I've just thought of a great team for next round Nameless Midbosses Daiyousei and Koakuma. But it'll probably just be another Precure.

Their team name is Big Little. I'll let you figure out the joke yourself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Update's been resized and optimized. This look okay, or should I stick to optimized 960x720 images?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Update's been resized and optimized. This look okay, or should I stick to optimized 960x720 images?

Looks good to me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We're only a few posts away from the next page, so I'll just spam posts for a bit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, FMW3 has so many good songs there isn't a real standout like there was in the last two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Not really sure how I'll announce the songs I really like.

• Locked thread