Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cake Attack posted:

Why do you like your favorite FF game, FF thread?

I like FFXIV and FFV because they have multiplayer and I hate singleplayer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Francis posted:

Final Fantasy IX is actually the best-reviewed Final Fantasy game despite having the lowest sales of a single-player main entry released on a PlayStation system.

Final Fantasy IX largely lacks character customization in favor of learning preset skills from equipment. It's an idiot-proof system, or at least idiot-resistant.

Coincidence? I think not.

It's like Square was trolling its fans when they followed up X's linearity with the extreme openness of X-2. People comfortable with the sphere grid literally could not handle being thrown 5+ jobs in the first hour of gameplay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

FF9 just feels good, man. The world and the characters. Yeah whatever the battles but all the cities are so cool and all the characters so endearing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cake Attack posted:

FF9 has a protagonist that has his head on straight, a love interest that actually does things and changes throughout the story, the Best Character (Vivi), decent worldbuilding, a good running theme, and a great soundtrack.

I would dock it points for Amarant but honestly it could do a lot worse in terms of characters.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

I do like how you can tell who the worst people are by the ones who always have to point out that something they don't like is "objectively" bad. It isn't enough to just not like something, nobody else can like it either without being secretly ashamed

wow you REALLY missed the entire point of what I was saying by a country malm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

It's like Square was trolling its fans when they followed up X's linearity with the extreme openness of X-2. People comfortable with the sphere grid literally could not handle being thrown 5+ jobs in the first hour of gameplay.

To be fair, I think a big part of the problem was that even at launch time people had already heard that getting the 100% best ending on a first playthrough effectively required a guide and so the wide-open choice kind of caused paralysis based on not wanting to screw that up. Even now I know people who just can't play FFX-2 because they find the ending system stressful even knowing that the 100% ending isn't worth it in the slightest.

Also my favorite Final Fantasy is probably 6, but I can't really defend that beyond a heaping helping of nostalgia and a firm belief that the soundtrack owns bones.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Cake Attack posted:

Thunder God Cid. Also Job system I guess, but mostly Orlandu.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not asking anyone to defend their favorite game, just to post about it

in this new FF thread no one's tastes are on trial.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I like FF6 because it has a bunch of party members and dungeons that require multiple parties, which are two of my favorite things in RPGs

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, I think a big part of the problem was that even at launch time people had already heard that getting the 100% best ending on a first playthrough effectively required a guide and so the wide-open choice kind of caused paralysis based on not wanting to screw that up. Even now I know people who just can't play FFX-2 because they find the ending system stressful even knowing that the 100% ending isn't worth it in the slightest.

Also my favorite Final Fantasy is probably 6, but I can't really defend that beyond a heaping helping of nostalgia and a firm belief that the soundtrack owns bones.

The funny thing is, many other FF games (thinking 7-9) have just as many hidden little scenes and tidbits as X-2, the games just don't have a running counter to show you where you're at. It's a lot less stressful to find everything in X-2 since it has a well implemented New Game+ feature, but so many people don't want to use it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Cake Attack posted:

XI: I met a lot of people who are still close friends to this day through it, and despite massive gameplay flaws it truly felt like what I'd imagine a massively multiplayer version of Final Fantasy 1 would be: basic as hell, perilous, difficult, and cryptic, yet still fun despite these failures. It's the only FF game that made me feel like I was given the opportunity to explore my story instead of the one conceived by the developers. It's a shame most series fans (quite correctly) wouldn't put the time in to experience it all the way through because of its huge glaring problems.

It's also still a pretty good looking game for an MMO from the early 2000s, considering most MMOs of that time look like complete garbage, and the soundtrack and setting are both arguably some of the best in the series. I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll ever see another main series or spinoff game that takes place in Vana'diel, much in the way Ivalice gets trotted out from time to time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

If I were to try and explain what made FF6 great, it's that it was pretty much the pinnacle of the "classic" Final Fantasy style, before the more serious stories and bloat started to set in. It was stuck on a small cartridge, so the dialog was kept short and sweet. There were no loading times - you could get in an encounter, tear through the baddies, and be back on the map in under a minute. Characters each had their own abilities, which tended to eclipse magic in usefulness at least through the World of Balance, so all the characters felt pretty unique. It was packed with content and quests that were totally optional but still easy to discover on your own without checking out GameFAQs. The characters were almost all likeable, and not terribly bland, stupid, or abrasive like many characters in later games. It looked great, and of course, the soundtrack was phenomenal.

It didn't do much new, but it did almost everything it did really well.

Also, FFIX is great because the characters, writing, and world are all so amazingly charming. I can put up with 15 seconds of pre-battle loading for that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

If I can't break a system over my knee, it just isn't quite the same. Also card games and Esthar are both cool as gently caress.

Special mention goes to LR for being just shy of a straight up action game. And time management is fun, even if it is the loosest possible implementation.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we at least agree that XIII had cool menus

It took me 4 loops to stop seeing her as severely cross-eyed when the menu came up. The shading on her eye combined with phone picture size... man that was bizarre looking.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
X. It was the first non-Pokemon RPG I ever played so it kinda blew my 12 year old mind. Plain old turn based battle systems are my favourite, the soundtrack is good, the story and characters are a lot of fun and the ending made my little sister cry. Never bothered with Blitzball or the after-game stuff though. Just seemed like a pain.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
If we're not counting the MMOs, I still have more bad opinions in spades

2: I really enjoy the basic Star Wars style orphan rebels vs. empire plot which is not weighed down in any kind of dumb extra cutesy anime horseshit because they had to cram as much of the basic plotline onto the cartridge as possible. Though the gameplay system is horrifically flawed it was incredibly forward thinking for its time and is just a handful of adjustments away from being viable and fun. All of player characters are strong, simple archetypes that went on to inspire popular characters in future installments and Min'wu is my baseline for how you can make a healer/cleric character truly cool which is rare in any RPG. It brought a lot of series firsts to the table, such as chocobos, Cid, and dragoons. The main antagonist is bad as hell. The battle music is awesome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
V has an amazing soundtrack, a fun not-too-serious story, great gameplay, the best costumes and the Fiesta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lEDAF3opEk

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Real talk I'm a huge fan of the Junction system. I like the summons, I like the abilities, and I like the fact that the best way to get stronger is to play a fun card game. Also, getting a salary is cool. Someone (probably in the FF8 thread) mentioned not junctioning directly to stats and I might try that out some time, see how it goes.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
FF1 (GBA/ PSP port because I'm a dirty casual) for the relative nonlinearity of the game and it's simplicity, FF12 for the battle system (Yes, I like the battle system), relative nonlinearity (again), and the art direction and writing.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The only thing good about Final Fantasy is is how it grinds nerds into shattered husks of men, so XI is the clear winner followed by XIII, V, XIV, X-2, and IV:TAY in no particular order.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
I hope if FF7 gets remade, they add a percentage counter to it. Just so I can laugh at nerds stressing over every little detail and poring over walkthroughs at every little step while they play.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Every Final Fantasy game is the best in the series. I'm turning the thread paradigm on it's head

i'm on board. let's make the change we want to see.

final fantasy vi is perfect in all the ways that matter and probably my favorite game ever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ff6 had a ghost train and a gambler class and subtextual relationships between characters and very hidden characters and rare spells to find and two drat worlds and about 20 sick tracks and a heavy-rear end interlude where you're abandoned on an island and have to nurse your colleague back to health and if you don't then you attempt suicide!!!!!! it owns folks!!!!!!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It turns out a lot of these games are pretty fuckin' good??

Like I'm reading a LP of FF7 and people are saying good things about it and I've never seen that before

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I can't choose a favorite because I love them all so much. Except 2 and 3, gently caress 2 and 3.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

gigglefeimer posted:

I'm pretty proud of myself for disliking Final Fantasy IX

I'm ashamed of myself for liking Final Fantasy XI.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FFV is my favorite by a country mile, because every run through it can be different depending on abilities, if I'm limiting myself somehow (Fiesta runs, SSCCs, so on), etc.

Plus it's just plain positive, story-wise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
TWEWY is my favorite, followed closely by Dragon Quest 8 which is followed even more closely by Final Fantasy 9.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It turns out a lot of these games are pretty fuckin' good??

Like I'm reading a LP of FF7 and people are saying good things about it and I've never seen that before

Everyone should probably read Elentor's excellent LP (which is very nearly finished now after 4 years :v:), having someone go through it in a smart and analytical manner has made quite a few people appreciate what a weird-rear end and unique game VII is even today, even though most people only seem to remember the big and obvious stuff in a strangely polarized manner. It holds a similar spot to Planescape: Torment in my head in that it has obvious flaws in gameplay but more than makes up for it in other ways.

So if I had to go and pick one title as my favorite it'd have to be VII despite its flaws, and I think that game is largely remembered for the wrong reasons even by people who sing its praises.

That said while I don't love literally all of them, I think the majority of FF games have enough strengths to make them legitimately good games.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Cake Attack posted:

Thank you for setting us free. FF7 is awesome because the music is good, the backgrounds are gorgeous and extremely well designed and the polygon characters are weirdly cute with their popeye arms. Popeye arms are cute, sorry everyone. Also Sephiroth had a plan to construct a massive barrier and he chucks a destruct materia at cloud and it nails him right in the stomach. That is top notch trolling and I like to think Cloud barfed a little.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite FF game is Xenogears and to go into why I love it would take too long so I'll go with my second favorite, FFXII.

Final Fantasy XII was the most immersive FF I've played to date. I loved just exploring. I felt like I was an adventurer on a quest. The lack of battle transitions helped a lot with this.
While the party is overall rather weak, I thought Ashe was a fantastic protagonist. The game as a whole has a very solid theme of "moving on from the past" that applies to both heroes and villains.
Speaking of which, FFXII has a loving superb cast of antagonists. It kinda went too far in a way because I ended up liking the Imperials more than most of the playable party.
And the soundtrack, while not up there with most FFs, was still very good at setting a tone.
And teh voice=acting and localization were perfect. Well..except for Fran's voice but still, near-perfect.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like the gameplay systems of 3 and 5, I like the stories of 4, 6, and 9, and I like both things in 10. I like 14 but don't have the energy to play it anymore. I like how ridiculously broken 2 and 8 are, I like how different and unique 12 is, I like what 11 does with its story even if I never played it and probably never will. I like that 15 is a GTA game except you get to shoot Bahamut in the face and high-five your bros after doing so. I like what 16's going to bring to the table fifteen years from now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like 1 because it's a legitimate challenge that you can tune by picking a different party composition, and it's short enough to be worth replaying. I like 6 because it goes fast and it has a large amount of secrets that make the game feel bigger without bloating it with things that make it actually bigger. I like 10 because, hell, I think turn-based RPG combat is the cat's pajamas. I haven't played 7 in a long time, but I think that I'd like it because of materia combinations.

I like 5 because one time I was taking on Exdeath in the second world and my party was exactly half of Exdeath's level and Bartz had blue magic and he hit Exdeath with the blue spell that halves the target's level if it hits and then he equipped Excalipoor and killed Exdeath with a Goblin Punch that did 9999 damage. It was exactly the sort of thing that some games would try to turn into a big dramatic scripted moment, potentially making it ruinously hokey in the process, except it happened entirely of my own volition.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess VIII is my favourite because it was pretty much the first RPG I ever played. (I had an SNES but only owned platformers and stuff like Zelda) I had no idea how to play it, ignored all of Quistis' tutorials and just used physical attacks and GFs for everything. I got to the Galbadian base where you have to activate the self destruct sequence and kill a boss on a time limit, but since I only attacked with GFs I always ran out of time. It seemed impossible so I started a new game and actually learned about junctioning/drawing/refining items and cards, beat the game and thought it was the best thing ever

I think the only thing that's really changed is that when I was a kid I thought Zell was the second coolest character in the game (Squall is the coolest obv) and now I think he's the worst

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cake Attack posted:

I like 13-3 because the combat is fun and there is no padding at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

7 is my favourite because I love the big dumb plot and the terrible translation and it has the best characters and Sephiroth is my husbando.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

5 because it's funny as hell and has the absolute best battle/job systems in the whole series. You don't see any other game getting a fiesta :colbert:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
X-2's battle/job system is too good to limit it by playing a fiesta

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

I like the part in 6 where there's a bunch of parallel stories happening at once when you choose between them at a black screen. Also of course, the world of ruin really blew my mind when I realized that even after all I had played there was still so much left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

7 is my favourite because I love the big dumb plot and the terrible translation and it has the best characters and Sephiroth is my husbando.

7 is my favorite as well because of how insane the plot is and because it's probably the only FF I can think of where they actually tried to bring mechanics into the storytelling, a difficult task for a game that is basically completely different in battle screens than in the normal walking around moments.