Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PiCroft posted:

I've noticed people here saying you can get salt from swamps. Can someone tell me how that works? I've gathered water from a swamp pool and all I got was ordinary water.

If you try to craft directly from the source, swamp pools count as both saltwater and freshwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...

PiCroft posted:

I've noticed people here saying you can get salt from swamps. Can someone tell me how that works? I've gathered water from a swamp pool and all I got was ordinary water.

It seems like random pools in the swamp are salt water pools. You can only find them when you're looking for fresh water, though. Sorcery.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Artificer posted:

Sweet. Anything that gets me past the basic levels in anything would be of great help. I just wanna read some books, man. :(

Basic levels in:

Computers: In theory, you can practice hacking. In practice, you need books
Construction: While digging a pit is, in theory, faster, you will need the components from deconstructing furniture anyway, so why not?
Cooking: Boil water, cook meat. You don't need a hotplate, fires work fine
Driving: Hop on a bike, hit a tree at 5 mph. Repeat first step until you no longer do the second.
Electronics: Take apart flashlights
Fabrication: Nailhooks, or make small rocks out of big rocks.
First aid: Make bandages
Mechanics: Take a hacksaw and a wrench, and go to town on a bit of wreckage.
Survival: Examine shrubbery
Tailoring: Repair clothing until they are reinforced. You will need a sewing kit or a needle (you can make one from bone) and thread
Trapping: assemble and disassemble a light snare kit
Dodge: Best way (other than a dance book) is to get your best non-torso-encumbering armor and bully a zombie child. Because it requires you to let a monster take a swing at you, this can be worth a skill point at chargen.
Melee/Marksmanship/X weapons: You will probably get this without too much effort.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

silentsnack posted:

If you try to craft directly from the source, swamp pools count as both saltwater and freshwater.

Yamtaggler posted:

It seems like random pools in the swamp are salt water pools. You can only find them when you're looking for fresh water, though. Sorcery.

Ah well, thanks. It'd be nice if a could identify salt water pools' it's more convenient than having to cook in the presence of the swamp, but if there's an infinite supply then I won't complain.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There are slightly grayish pools of salt water in swamps they are rather common and they look a bit different. Just look with 'x' a bit it should say salt water.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
After several games of being slowly killed by shocker zombies electrocuting me as I tried to evade them or lure them into a house or something I finally ran into one with two guns and ~80 bullets for the two.

75 bullets later it was finally dead and now I know to just avoid them entirely. :stare:

e: it may have been a shocker brute instead which probably didn't help

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ducttape posted:

Basic levels in:

Computers: In theory, you can practice hacking. In practice, you need books
Construction: While digging a pit is, in theory, faster, you will need the components from deconstructing furniture anyway, so why not?
Cooking: Boil water, cook meat. You don't need a hotplate, fires work fine
Driving: Hop on a bike, hit a tree at 5 mph. Repeat first step until you no longer do the second.
Electronics: Take apart flashlights
Fabrication: Nailhooks, or make small rocks out of big rocks.
First aid: Make bandages
Mechanics: Take a hacksaw and a wrench, and go to town on a bit of wreckage.
Survival: Examine shrubbery
Tailoring: Repair clothing until they are reinforced. You will need a sewing kit or a needle (you can make one from bone) and thread
Trapping: assemble and disassemble a light snare kit
Dodge: Best way (other than a dance book) is to get your best non-torso-encumbering armor and bully a zombie child. Because it requires you to let a monster take a swing at you, this can be worth a skill point at chargen.
Melee/Marksmanship/X weapons: You will probably get this without too much effort.

Thanks, this is all really handy. I appreciate it!

I don't think I have enough Flash lights to really practice electronics much but the rest looks like they are quite handy.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Everyone should make more molotov cocktails, they're pretty great if you watch where you're throwing them. You can make them out of some of the more common alcohol bottles. They explode when they hit and create a 3x3 field of fire that burns for a short while. Great at clearing a crowd and slowing down that occasional hulk.

Also remember you won't get anything more than a pittance of skill points for making anything that requires less than your current skill level to make.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

I don't suppose the saves from the most recent stable version can transfer over? :(

Should be no problem. It's almost always possible to update.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PiCroft posted:

Some pools of swamp water count as an infinite source of salt water. Keep looking, or use recipes requiring salt in the general area.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

President Ark posted:

e: it may have been a shocker brute instead which probably didn't help

the distinction is important

Even with a brute, though, 75 shots is loving ridiculous even if you're using .22. Have you used guns much? You need to wait for the recoil to go down before firing again, and you can aim for a bit longer by tapping "." for granular aimtime, or pressing "c" or "p" for "controlled" or "precise" aim, which are basically just preset numbers of "." taps.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's also possible to perform an Infinite Salt Loop

2 salt -> 2 salt water -> 2 bleach -> 8 salt

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Are the Graphical experimental/nightly builds on the website just prettier/tile-setted versions of the Console ones? I'm really enjoying playing with a tileset so I figure I should get the Graphical version right?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No reason to ever play the console version except for trying to set up an ssh style online interface. Graphical has tiles and mouse interface.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmm. Playing Graphical at the moment on the latest build and when I play it and search an underbrush it turns into a foliage as someone said, but it becomes a foliage sprite with a large green # sign superimposed over it. Sometimes it is just the # sign, other times it has the foliage sprite underneath it. Can I tell it to just use the foliage sprite and not use the # sign?

This isn't because I just copy pasted my old save files from the stable version into the most recent experimental version I suppose?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Hmm. Playing Graphical at the moment on the latest build and when I play it and search an underbrush it turns into a foliage as someone said, but it becomes a foliage sprite with a large green # sign superimposed over it. Sometimes it is just the # sign, other times it has the foliage sprite underneath it. Can I tell it to just use the foliage sprite and not use the # sign?

This isn't because I just copy pasted my old save files from the stable version into the most recent experimental version I suppose?

No, it sounds like there just isn't a sprite for it yet, so it's using the ASCII symbol.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

girth brooks part 2 posted:

No, it sounds like there just isn't a sprite for it yet, so it's using the ASCII symbol.

Hmmm. That's odd though, shouldn't it just replace the foliage sprite entirely in that case? Instead of sometimes leaving it behind?

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Artificer posted:

Hmmm. That's odd though, shouldn't it just replace the foliage sprite entirely in that case? Instead of sometimes leaving it behind?

if you search it until it's exhausted it will always turn into the # in my experience, either you are leaving the shrub before it's done or you are hitting a bug i haven't seen

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

I misread your post. May be worth a shot starting a new save, but I'm not really sure what's causing that then to be honest

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Artificer posted:

Sometimes it can take more than one search to deplete an underbrush tile.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Once you get green # signs you move to a different bush. I thought that was intentional?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Started a new game and there was a V8 sitting right outside the door of the shelter.

EDIT:Of course I got my eyeballs gored out by a moose in a sporting goods store.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 24, 2015

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

ducttape posted:

It should be noted that eventually you'll stop gaining XP from this entirely (level 6 or 7, I think). The only way to raise it past that is to bully bigger and badder monsters. Hope you like playing chicken with shoggoths!

e:Where is the best place to find bow mods? I haven't found any across 3 separate gun stores, and I checked a sporting goods store and only found an arrow rest.

Tyrone Biggums fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Started a new game and there was a V8 sitting right outside the door of the shelter.

EDIT:Of course I got my eyeballs gored out by a moose in a sporting goods store.

After watching Fury Road (its awesome, go see it if you haven't!) I find myself desperately wishing there was a Mad Max Roguelike that let you build/customize vehicles like in Cataclysm.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I recently got back into this after a really long haitus. Had three characters die before one has survived a while. Got a nice base up, a good base of skills. I also have some reliable food sources in the form of throwing rocks at lemmings, rats, and rattlesnakes (throwing is at level 3 now!).

There is currently a spinosaurus wandering the countryside around my base.

Also while exploring a nearby town I accidentally let loose a basement full of giant spiders, I made sure to burn the house down while I was escaping.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I played a lot of this game back in summer of 2012. What has changed that I need to know about if I'm going to get back into it?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Probably one of the bigger important changes is that basements are no longer usable as time bubble food storage - spoil timers are now updated when you invade the lower level reality bubble. Also mobs will get upgraded after some (significant) time i.e. normal zombies will disappear entirely after surviving about a year or two. Also there are nice tilesets like the RetroDays sets.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

After watching Fury Road (its awesome, go see it if you haven't!) I find myself desperately wishing there was a Mad Max Roguelike that let you build/customize vehicles like in Cataclysm.

I've wanted road gangs in this for so long. A straight up Mad Max Roguelike would be wonderful.

Fury Road is fantastic!

ZiegeDame posted:

I played a lot of this game back in summer of 2012. What has changed that I need to know about if I'm going to get back into it?

I can't remember when it was added, but / is an incredibly useful item management menu, and most recipes are found in books instead of something you know when you have the skills. Clothing encumbrance now goes up every time it hits a multiple of 10 and the encumbrance stats for clothing have been adjusted to reflect that. Some items like rifles with slings can be worn, and you can put knives in boots and sheaths and pistols in holsters now.

EDIT: Some items now have tool stats instead of recipes calling for specific tools. For example a chunk of steel now has a hammer stat and can be used as a shoddy hammer, but isn't good enough to use for more intricate recipes.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 25, 2015

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So I made the makeshift macuahitl and it broke after the second swing, what gives? The first swing I tried using it to bash a fence apart which probably isn't the best idea with a glass weapon :downs:. The second swing I did 30 damage to a zombie technician but the thing just disintegrated.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not sure this applies, but it's usually a lot easier to damage any melee weapons if your character is bad at melee or (possibly) too encumbered to be good at it. people in the thread have claimed after level 3 melee the potential to break your poo poo this way disappears. The other thing that might apply is that quite simply as a makeshift macuahitl your character can't make it nearly as durable, possibly due to using glass instead of obsidian but in any case definitely not as well as an actual Aztec crafter who had first-hand knowledge of how to make a proper one - there are no actual macuahitls left, only drawings as the last one was burned up in 1849.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Not sure this applies, but it's usually a lot easier to damage any melee weapons if your character is bad at melee or (possibly) too encumbered to be good at it. people in the thread have claimed after level 3 melee the potential to break your poo poo this way disappears. The other thing that might apply is that quite simply as a makeshift macuahitl your character can't make it nearly as durable, possibly due to using glass instead of obsidian but in any case definitely not as well as an actual Aztec crafter who had first-hand knowledge of how to make a proper one - there are no actual macuahitls left, only drawings as the last one was burned up in 1849.

:goonsay:

But yeah I realize breaking immediately upon use is realistic. However, this is a game where you can become a crack-addicted cyborg mutant so I don't think realism is a huge issue here

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

unwantedplatypus posted:

But yeah I realize breaking immediately upon use is realistic. However, this is a game where you can become a crack-addicted cyborg mutant so I don't think realism is a huge issue here

Surprisingly it actually is. There's a lot of people that have worked on it that are all about their "realism". Cataclysm is more of thing that happened rather than there being any overall vision aside from zombie survival rougelike.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Even if I know I can pick up and move to a certain extent, and my store of food should hopefully last long enough for me to get a truck or something up and running, I find myself still worrying about oh no running out of food sources and whatnot.

Holy poo poo why does the concept of nonrenewable resources and finding a way to live sustainably in any game hold my attention so drat strongly? In Don't Starve it is rocks and poo poo and in this game it is undergrowth (in the stable) and perishable food and basic zombies that are leather/cloth pinatas.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

oh you sweet summer child, don't ever look at the main forums lest your innocence be spoiled

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Everyone worth a drat knows that in real life all the best survivalist warriors in the future are mutants with mechanical augmentations that wear wolfsuits over their handmade armor and fight with katanas while having a nuclear powered vibrator jammed into their orifice of choice.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Tyrone Biggums posted:

It should be noted that eventually you'll stop gaining XP from this entirely (level 6 or 7, I think). The only way to raise it past that is to bully bigger and badder monsters. Hope you like playing chicken with shoggoths!

e:Where is the best place to find bow mods? I haven't found any across 3 separate gun stores, and I checked a sporting goods store and only found an arrow rest.

Looking at the code, it looks like you can get dodge skill up to twice the monsters attack skill, which would mean 4 dodge from zombie children. From what I can see, it also looks like you don't actually have to successfully dodge to get practice, so go ahead and practice while wearing every item of clothing you have found. It also means that a decayed zombie make better practice, due to their higher melee skill and lower damage. Even better, blank bodies with slightly higher melee skill, slightly lower damage (I think you can find them in church/cathedral basements)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

unwantedplatypus posted:

So I made the makeshift macuahitl and it broke after the second swing, what gives? The first swing I tried using it to bash a fence apart which probably isn't the best idea with a glass weapon :downs:. The second swing I did 30 damage to a zombie technician but the thing just disintegrated.

Objects can be damaged when you hit things with them, or fail to sew/solder/etc and are more likely to take damage when they are made of flimsy materials and already being damaged makes them break that much faster.

And yeah, arbitrarily invoking "realism" to justify features in a zombie apocalypse game is loving stupid. Especially since what it actually means is "(whatever thing) appeals to my (personal) sense of what intuitively should be realistic and allows me to feel greater immersion"

Realism (rigorously simulating reality) and immersion (feels real) are very different things but a lot of dumb nerds can't tell the difference. Some idiots even think realism/immersion inherently makes things fun, or is somehow superior to fun.

Most games have HP and some kind of status effects to represent health and different kinds of illness.

An immersive health system expands that into: sometimes you get a "bleeding" injury, sometimes you get a "deep" bite that can get infected, and a broken arm/leg requires wearing a splint for a day or two.

A more realistic health system would be: almost every injury causes some quantifiable combination of abrasion and and laceration (bleeding, requires stitches) and bacterial contamination (which needs to be disinfected if it's an open wound) and bruising (reduces mobility/effective str) which takes a few days to heal, broken bones stay broken for several weeks and if you go running around on a broken leg without crutches or a wheelchair it doesn't heal properly.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

You find bow mods in the crafting menu. They require Fabrication and Archery skills of 2~3 to make.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I always found it rather odd that despite all the realism spergs, Cataclysm still has a HP injury system instead of something more like Unreal World.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

on the other hand I don't think an Unreal World system would really be fun in Cataclysm with unmodified brutes/spitters/shockers and so forth ready to inflict tons of specialized damage, but if some idiot decides to mod it in the leadership will probably not veto it and I will blame you for possibly giving them the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Oh god what evil have I unleashed upon the world :ohdear: