Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are there any mods that add more things to do with science points rather than more science experiments? I'm still a ways off from unlocking the whole tree, but it's going to happen sooner or later. I know I can turn it into funds or rep with various strategies, but what I'd really like is something that lets me spend science to make incremental improvements to parts -- say, spending increasing amounts of science to decrease a part's mass, or increase its impact tolerance or max thrust or the like.

Is there anything like that out there?

RoverDude posted:

Yeah there was one bum release (0.30.3) be sure you are on 0.30.4

Just got home and checked and yeah, I was running 0.30.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I would venture to suggest that this is not working as intended.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Prevent overheats throttles back engines that are overheating due to running at high thrust. It doesn't take aerodynamic heating into consideration.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unkempt posted:

The engine isn't overheating, which is the only thing that that setting has ever cared about.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Unkempt posted:

I don't see your engines overheating. Working as intended.

You should unselect Limit To Terminal Velocity, and checkbox Limit Acceleration and use a value of 25m/s and you'll stop seeing fire effects on ascent. After you reach ~30km, uncheck that box.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Well okay then, it's 'Limit to terminal velocity' that isn't working. Either way it's hosed.

edit:

Otacon posted:

You should unselect Limit To Terminal Velocity, and checkbox Limit Acceleration and use a value of 25m/s and you'll stop seeing fire effects on ascent.

wait, what?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Well okay then, it's 'Limit to terminal velocity' that isn't working. Either way it's hosed.

Correct, and it's being worked on. According to the latest dev version of MJ at least.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Unkempt posted:

edit:

wait, what?

The Terminal Velocity value was changed from .90 (which is the value MJ still uses) and 1.00. If you leave that checked, your ship will (likely) never reach orbit.

Trust me on the 25m/s acceleration velocity. It works.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Otacon posted:

Correct, and it's being worked on. According to the latest dev version of MJ at least.

Gotcha. Got Jeb stuck in orbit and he's not getting home on that flaming ball of dog poop.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

Prevent overheats throttles back engines that are overheating due to running at high thrust. It doesn't take aerodynamic heating into consideration.

Actually no, it will prevent any overheats including aerodynamic ones.

I found this out because one of my rockets was being throttled back hard, and after investigating discovered that it was because throttling up would cause the Hullcam VDS parts to instantly explode from aerodynamic heating. Those things are stupidly fragile, I don't think I've gotten a single one intact into orbit yet.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 24, 2015

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Well, that isn't working either. I've got this thing into orbit loads of times but it seems to baffle mechjeb. Does having a Pilot matter? I think I've got an Engineer in there at the moment.

edit: limiting my SRBs a bit seems to have done the trick somehow :confused:

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

From Reddit:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I'm testing out a satellite delivery platform for remotetech with smartparts (basically, components that trigger specific actions when conditions are met - out of fuel -> stage, reach altitude -> action group 1, that sort of thing). This craft can reach +- 90km without many issues. Except one annoying problem.

That is, during ascent, there is a small but significant deviation to the south, and I want these sats to be equatorial. I tried simply rotating the craft 5 degrees but if it had any effect I didn't notice it. Can anyone offer assist?

Additionally, I could only keep the craft from pointing to the ground by increasing the T/W ratio to about 2.2, which is where you get mach and re-entry effects. If someone knows a better way that leaves me with less wasted delta-v, that'd be swell. However, this is very much secondary to the first issue - the inclined orbit.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is there any way, modded or otherwise to see the delta-v cost of any planned maneuvers other than the next one? It would be nice to explore different options mid-mission.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

Is there any way, modded or otherwise to see the delta-v cost of any planned maneuvers other than the next one? It would be nice to explore different options mid-mission.

Hover over the manoevre icon? In order for this to work you cannot have the "edit node" UI open, but if this is the case, you should see the dv cost when hovering over the icon.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Oh, yeah, I see it now! Thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:psyduck: Now I load up my game and I have -70 rep and 0 funds because both space station contracts expired, despite having over a year left on the clock. Maybe upgrading the Space Station Contract Pack invalidated the contracts or something? Or it's incompatible with Station Science?

I'll just pretend that some unrelated political thing has blown up and the government has suddenly gotten extremely cold feet about space exploration, I guess.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 25, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Walton Simons posted:

I didn't realise Interstellar was updated for 1.0, thought it was long gone. Does it play nice with Near Future parts in career?

Interstellar is in CKAN, but for some reason most of the parts aren't included. The small microwave transmitter and the inline receivers are in, but there's zilch for: reactors, antimatter collection, antimatter storage, thermal rocket parts, magnetic nozzles, radial receivers, and radiators (one small convective radiator made it in though).

To answer your question, it probably plays nice with near future, as there's little in it to conflict.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Luneshot posted:

From Reddit:

KSP crashed on ignition of this thing but that might have been unrelated.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Luneshot posted:

From Reddit:

I explicitly named that spacecraft Skyfucker VII. :colbert:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Agency K spotted a rogue signal at a high latitude. Crack Kerbal agents were scattered to investigate.

After reaching the [redacted] kerbal agents took ground surveys and as is standard program policy planted a team flag

In an unrelated note, several days later several [redacted] were loaded onto a rocket

the destination of [redacted] was highly unusual, but K agents don't ask questions, or test equipment, or run calculations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man I'm having a lot of fun building planes despite the fact that they suck at doing anything other than fly in a straight line.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I haven't played KSP in a long while. With 1.0x, do the mods that add cloud layers/effects work? I tried the latest version of the astronomer pack that I used back in 0.23, but it crashed on me so I'm thinking it's not 1.0 compatible. Is there an alternative that people use?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Hobnob posted:

I haven't played KSP in a long while. With 1.0x, do the mods that add cloud layers/effects work? I tried the latest version of the astronomer pack that I used back in 0.23, but it crashed on me so I'm thinking it's not 1.0 compatible. Is there an alternative that people use?

Look for "KSP CKAN" and use CKAN to keep all of your mods up to date. Might as well just nuke your .23 mods and start over but yes, the cloud mods through EVE and Astronomer's packs were updated to work with 1.xx

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I haven't played in a while either and I have a much more basic question. I assume asparagus staging is gone and done. What's the new ~meta~ for efficiency in rocket design?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

General Battuta posted:

I haven't played in a while either and I have a much more basic question. I assume asparagus staging is gone and done. What's the new ~meta~ for efficiency in rocket design?

Asparagus staging still works and still rules.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a reason my solar panels are only producing 0.09 e/sec on the surface of Eve? Sun exposure is 0.96.

General Battuta posted:

The new meta is aerodynamics- stock is now much more like FAR than it was pre-1.0. Fat, wide rockets are now much worse than slender ones. Nosecones have a tangible effect on performance. Tailfins are crucial for stability. Asparagus staging actually still works.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Luneshot posted:

From Reddit:

362 tons seems a little small for KSP size.

Biggest I've made is 8500 tons that put 921 tons with 60,000 liquid fuel / 73,000 oxidizer in orbit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Luneshot posted:

From Reddit:

"Untitled Space Craft" is a nice touch.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Ak Gara posted:

Biggest I've made is 8500 tons that put 921 tons with 60,000 liquid fuel / 73,000 oxidizer in orbit.

:O

Do you have video or screenshots of this?

e: VVVV motherfuck!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 25, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

thehustler posted:

:O

Do you have video or screenshots of this?

Bill isn't liking the look of this thing.

Bill doesn't know what he saw, Jeb is Jeb, and Bob just wants to go home.

Not the same rocket but still pretty tall. (Twice the height of the old launch tower)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCqdFrXvNY

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 25, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ow my framerate

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why can't I dock my rover?

e: :negative:

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 25, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Away all Goats posted:

Man I'm having a lot of fun building planes despite the fact that they suck at doing anything other than fly in a straight line.
Instead of trying to turn by pressing a and d, try rotating slightly with q and e and going "up".

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Sanctum posted:

Docking on kerbin can get really finicky due to the gravity, try firing the rovers thrusters to lessen the suspension on the wheels to make it go a bit higher

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ok quick question: if I want to go to something and get into orbit around it, it's best to approach it as close as possible, right? And do my burn as low as possible? Because that will take the lowest amount of delta-v?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

e: :negative:

I'm wondering if your docking ports are connected to the modular girder segment by the correct node.

e: I think you are using Surface Attachment; try Node:

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 25, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Using docking ports on land is hard. Consider using a claw.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I'm wondering if your docking ports are connected to the modular girder segment by the correct node.

._.

Also yeah now that I look at it, it looks like the one on your rover is using the wrong node/or surface attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Germstore posted:

Using docking ports on land is hard. Consider using a claw.
What about fuel transfer.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I've used docking ports attached to girders in space without these issues. So I imagine either gravity is the culprit or some arbitrary way the game handles physics for 'landed' objects. But what is node attachment and how do I do it? The wiki has nothing about this, nor any results on google.