Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark Souls II has the best durability system. Everything has fairly low durability, it automatically repairs at bonfires, you pay souls to fix items at a blacksmith otherwise, and weapons have a little bar below their icon on the HUD showing how much durability is left.

Your items are never destroyed, just rendered temporarily useless, and it forces you to diversify your weapons in order to survive extended exploration trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Diablo 2 had a good durability system. Stuff didn't break easily and a broken item only harmed your play if you ignored it, as it was technically unslotted and you lost the items benefits.

Speaking of Diablo 2, are there any good mods that provide a "new" experience without being horribly min-maxy as hell? Because my PYF dragging down the "best" Diablo 2 mod: Median XL Ultimative, is that everything kills you way too god drat fast.

There's also a massive reliance on poison damage from monsters and its kinda poo poo that the first thing I should do, with any class, is immediately try to bump my resistances to max, on NORMAL difficulty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Minecraft's durability mechanic doesn't work. I can only assume that it exists as a mechanic to spur you into continuing to explore and mine, but exploring and mining already provide their own rewards. You already want to be doing that to get new building resources, useful items, and further upgrading your equipment, the lifespan of your equipment is actually adding nothing at all to the experience aside from frustration.
Very few of Minecraft's mechanics actually work. For that matter, the game's code barely works. It's definitely a game that achieved success in spite of the base it was built on, not because of it. I realize it will never happen, but I still hope Microsoft rebuilds it from scratch at some point. They won't - because why would you spend money improving your money-printing machine? - but it would be nice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love Dying Light's durability system where every weapon is only temporary. It fits the game so well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Diablo 2 had a good durability system. Stuff didn't break easily and a broken item only harmed your play if you ignored it, as it was technically unslotted and you lost the items benefits.

Speaking of Diablo 2, are there any good mods that provide a "new" experience without being horribly min-maxy as hell? Because my PYF dragging down the "best" Diablo 2 mod: Median XL Ultimative, is that everything kills you way too god drat fast.

There's also a massive reliance on poison damage from monsters and its kinda poo poo that the first thing I should do, with any class, is immediately try to bump my resistances to max, on NORMAL difficulty.

The only gameplay durability really added to D2 was making etheral items better at the price of them being unrepairable unless they had a self repair modifier or you slotted them with a zod rune. If you removed durability from that game it would have been slightly better.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

The Witcher 3's durability mechanic is a bit of a misstep as well. It's expensive enough to be annoying but not so much that it adds to the challenge - even common crafting and shop items are more expensive than repairing your gear, and while you have to manage your income durability still doesn't have enough impact to force you into making compromises elsewhere. it seems to exist purely as a way of booting you back towards a town every so often because your sword has fallen apart.
I'm still early in the game and just started doing quests in Velen. The durability and encumbrance systems forcing you back to town is especially annoying for me as I haven't yet found a proper blacksmith in the area so I'm finding myself traveling back to the first section of the game to do my trading. Not giving the player a decent home base when they get to a new area feels like a pretty stupid design decision in my mind.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You never really get any sort of hub in Witcher 3 from what I've seen so far which is a bit annoying from a gameplay perspective even if it makes sense story wise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Witcher 3's crafting system is definitely bad because it just completely overwhelms you with way too much stuff that can be made but at the beginning of the game you have no reason to do so.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I bought The Witcher 1 and 2 since they were super cheap, and dear god the Beast in 1. You can't chug potions in the cave before the fight, it removes all buffs during the cutscene. The Beast's infinitely-spawning minions immediately swarm Abigail so you don't get her healing, and the Beast can use Pain to paralyze you halfway across the arena. Also a level 2 Aard sign knocks the Beast to the floor for maybe 2 seconds if you're lucky. Boss design!

Edit: And I had to laugh when I used a Blizzard potion, only to immediately get hit with Pain. Instead of being stunned for 10 seconds, I got to wait more than 20 because of the time-warp effect.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 19:19 on May 24, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anarchy Reigns is definitely a fun game, but it seems so lackluster compared to some of Platinum's other games. It lacks the "OH poo poo" moments of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; its boss fights are "meh" and the pseudo-open world gimmick gets old kinda quick.

Also, Rinrin and Black Baron died in Mad World, but they're playable in Anarchy Reigns, AND THAT RUINS MY IMMERSION.

We don't get ridiculed, we get ridda fools!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DStecks posted:

It always staggers me when people honestly claim that ME1 is better than ME2. I guess it's like the goon love affair with Alpha Protocol, it's easy to love the version of the game that exists in your head, or the version of the game as you imagine it could be; even if the actual game has serious undeniable flaws.

People can love games despite their flaws. Also ME2 has its own glaring flaws. Also people are more likely to fondly remember the "wow factor" of the first thing in a series over the refinements of its successors.

Really though ME1 and ME2 are so wildly different from each other that it really shouldn't be a surprise that some folks prefer what the first game was going for over the streamlined experience of the second.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

QuietLion posted:

I bought The Witcher 1 and 2 since they were super cheap, and dear god the Beast in 1. You can't chug potions in the cave before the fight, it removes all buffs during the cutscene. The Beast's infinitely-spawning minions immediately swarm Abigail so you don't get her healing, and the Beast can use Pain to paralyze you halfway across the arena. Also a level 2 Aard sign knocks the Beast to the floor for maybe 2 seconds if you're lucky. Boss design!

Edit: And I had to laugh when I used a Blizzard potion, only to immediately get hit with Pain. Instead of being stunned for 10 seconds, I got to wait more than 20 because of the time-warp effect.

I think that was legitimately the hardest fight in the game because of how early in the game it was. Even Dagon was easier just because I was better prepared.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Beast is vulnerable to Aard's stun effect, which means that you can straight-up one-shot it if you've built up that particular spell.

It's a very badly designed fight, but not an insurmountable one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

QuietLion posted:

In The Witcher 2 potion durations tick down in real time, and you need a somewhat secluded, peaceful area to drink them. Since so many bosses were at the end of long gauntlets or cutscenes that didn't give you a chance to drink I'd often effectively not be able to use potions for boss fights. It wasn't that big of a deal since bosses weren't really the hard part of that game. The Alchemy spec not really coming into its own until 3/4 of the way through the game also sucked.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anarchy Reigns is definitely a fun game, but it seems so lackluster compared to some of Platinum's other games. It lacks the "OH poo poo" moments of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; its boss fights are "meh" and the pseudo-open world gimmick gets old kinda quick.

Also, Rinrin and Black Baron died in Mad World, but they're playable in Anarchy Reigns, AND THAT RUINS MY IMMERSION.

We don't get ridiculed, we get ridda fools!

You don't play as Black Baron, you play as Blacker Baron. Totally different guy! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpUO68xpcOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Yeah, I ended up murdering the Beast through an Aard level 2 Stun + Sword. While I still think it was an ill-conceived boss, it taught me that level 2 Aard Stun will let you one-shot basically anything. When that Burning Rose guy was 'helping' me kill the cockatrice in the sewers, I used Aard Stun to kill it instantly. I laughed really hard when later on Geralt commented that the NPC did well in that fight. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Very few of Minecraft's mechanics actually work. For that matter, the game's code barely works. It's definitely a game that achieved success in spite of the base it was built on, not because of it. I realize it will never happen, but I still hope Microsoft rebuilds it from scratch at some point. They won't - because why would you spend money improving your money-printing machine? - but it would be nice.

I've hoped this would happen for awhile but the thing is just on way too many platforms for it to happen now. If they didn't care when it was only on windows, they definitely didn't care when it was on 20 platforms, and I doubt microsoft cares much more than mojang.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
In the Witcher 3 Geralt teams up with this lady Keira, who doesn't wear any shoes. Her feet are constantly contorted as if she's wearing invisible high heels. :sigh:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

The Witcher 3's crafting system is definitely bad because it just completely overwhelms you with way too much stuff that can be made but at the beginning of the game you have no reason to do so.

if you ignore/minimise the crafting materials tab things are a lot more manageable. the game does no favours by having every tab open by default though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

death .cab for qt posted:

Dark Souls II has the best durability system. Everything has fairly low durability, it automatically repairs at bonfires, you pay souls to fix items at a blacksmith otherwise, and weapons have a little bar below their icon on the HUD showing how much durability is left.

Your items are never destroyed, just rendered temporarily useless, and it forces you to diversify your weapons in order to survive extended exploration trips.

Playing for the first time, I'm going to disagree. It's hard enough managing equipment weight and stat requirements, so why should I have to also deal with the poo poo breaking, or running back and respawning everything, and repair powders don't even fix weapons to 100%. Dark Souls 2 has too many mechanics going on to make durability a good addition.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

You can't mention terrible durability systems without mentioning dark cloud, which had a system where you continuously were upgrading one weapon, but if you ever had a lapse in judgment and let it break, you were set back hours trying to build up and farm gems for a new weapon that you usually started from scratch. Plus arbitrary restricted floors where your weapons would degrade twice as fast.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

You can't mention terrible durability systems without mentioning dark cloud, which had a system where you continuously were upgrading one weapon, but if you ever had a lapse in judgment and let it break, you were set back hours trying to build up and farm gems for a new weapon that you usually started from scratch. Plus arbitrary restricted floors where your weapons would degrade twice as fast.

I made it up to the final dungeon in Dark Cloud. I never really used Ungaga so I only had two weapons-- the basic one and a strong one I used a lot.

I wasn't paying attention and his weapon broke.

I never finished Dark Cloud.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got to the final area of Dark cloud 2, one of my favorite games back in the day, and once you enter you can't go back. There is no warning.

Inside the area you cannot farm or grind, there is only the boss. I go in way underpowered because I'm dumb and always focus on gimmicks and couldn't even touch the boss. OH WELL.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Minecraft has always been fine to me the way it was because it felt like the drawbacks actually add to the game. I am not a big minecraft fan or anything but it feels like the rudimentary gameplay is supposed to force you to be creative in how you play it which is the point of the game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Playing for the first time, I'm going to disagree. It's hard enough managing equipment weight and stat requirements, so why should I have to also deal with the poo poo breaking, or running back and respawning everything, and repair powders don't even fix weapons to 100%. Dark Souls 2 has too many mechanics going on to make durability a good addition.

If Dark Souls didn't have too many mechanics going on it wouldn't be Dark Souls :colbert:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

death .cab for qt posted:

You forgot the part where Dark Souls 2 had durability tied to the framerate on release when you hit objects or other things that degraded durability faster than enemies, and so PC players broke their swords a lot faster than console players.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Outside of the DLC your weapons don't take enough damage to need more than one anyway, so you should probably start attacking enemies insntead of walls.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Weapon degrading mechanics have never worked/been fun, ever.

I remember when System Shock 2 had a patch that added the option for the player to either reduce or do away with it altogether.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bewilderment posted:

You forgot the part where Dark Souls 2 had durability tied to the framerate on release when you hit objects or other things that degraded durability faster than enemies, and so PC players broke their swords a lot faster than console players.

This bug was still there on the Scholar of the First sin games to, it finally got fixed like 3 weeks ago.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

QuietLion posted:

I just decided to marathon the Witcher trilogy, and boy are you in for a treat in Chapter II. It's probably the worst quest in any RPG I've ever played. There's a huge investigation that lasts the whole chapter, during which you talk to a detective, and then interrogate half a dozen different witnesses, and then you talk to the detective, and then interrogate half a dozen different witnesses, and then you talk to the detective, and then you interrogate half a dozen different witnesses, and then you talk to an alchemist, and hunt runes forever and ever in a lovely swamp, and then you talk to the alchemist again, and then you find some books, and then you talk to the alchemist again, and then you go back into the lovely swamp, and then you fight a tedious boss, and then you arrange an autopsy, though for the sake of brevity I've left out the half a dozen steps required for that, and then you get stuck and have to look at a walkthrough because your specific choices in the game have lead you to a situation where the only way to progress the main quest is to talk to a random NPC that appears at a very specific time and place, and then you interrogate one of the witnesses again, this time using dialogue options that are greyed out because you already selected them previously, except now they somehow work, and then you talk to the detective and all the witnesses again, and then you go back into the swamp, and none of those people and locations are anywhere near each other and there's no fast travel, and the swamp is huge and full of drowners that you have to fight every ten feet.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I greatly resent the conclusion to Blackwall's character arc in Dragon Age: Inquistion. And it's just another example of how Bioware these days railroads you into a character role instead of allowing you to sculpt your characters personality as you see fit.

You discover Blackwall isn't really Blackwall and he's actually an Orlesian soldier named Tom who had an entire noble family, women and children included, brutally slaughtered by men under his command. Tom then booked it and left his men to deal with the fallout (but he feels really bad about it, honest!). Later he took the real Blackwall's name after Blackwall is killed to further hide who he really is and avoid justice for his crimes. After events transpire that cause him to reveal his past you are tasked with busting him out of Orlesian prison so he can face Inquistion justice for being a lying murderous dickbag.

However after all is said and done and Tom stands before you in chains to face judgement, your choices are: Free him, where he goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes. Force him into "servitude", where he goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes. Or declare him as the Wardens problem after the Inquisition finishes its mission, which means he just goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes.

So no matter what you do you've got a filthy lying coward and child murderer shacking up in your barn for the rest of the game.

In the old Bioware days of Jade Empire and KoToR I would've been allowed to lop his head off, but I guess they recorded all that dialogue so gently caress you player you're stuck with him.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's doubly dumb considering Origins featured the option of outright killing a party member and replacing them with an identical-in-function antagonist, as well as opportunity for other characters to outright attack you for blaspheming their core beliefs

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

Weapon degrading mechanics have never worked/been fun, ever.

I remember when System Shock 2 had a patch that added the option for the player to either reduce or do away with it altogether.

It kind of worked in multiplayer (which was buggy as a Mississippi swamp on a summer evening), because when your weapon broke mid-combat, you could toss it back at your repair guy and he could fix it up while you used something else for a few moments, then put it right back in your inventory for you when he was done.

But yeah, it's not fun, especially as a primary game mechanic. loving Dark Cloud :argh:

that loving music is still stuck in my head after all these years

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Esroc posted:

I greatly resent the conclusion to Blackwall's character arc in Dragon Age: Inquistion. And it's just another example of how Bioware these days railroads you into a character role instead of allowing you to sculpt your characters personality as you see fit.

You discover Blackwall isn't really Blackwall and he's actually an Orlesian soldier named Tom who had an entire noble family, women and children included, brutally slaughtered by men under his command. Tom then booked it and left his men to deal with the fallout (but he feels really bad about it, honest!). Later he took the real Blackwall's name after Blackwall is killed to further hide who he really is and avoid justice for his crimes. After events transpire that cause him to reveal his past you are tasked with busting him out of Orlesian prison so he can face Inquistion justice for being a lying murderous dickbag.

However after all is said and done and Tom stands before you in chains to face judgement, your choices are: Free him, where he goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes. Force him into "servitude", where he goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes. Or declare him as the Wardens problem after the Inquisition finishes its mission, which means he just goes back to being a party member and nothing really changes.

So no matter what you do you've got a filthy lying coward and child murderer shacking up in your barn for the rest of the game.

In the old Bioware days of Jade Empire and KoToR I would've been allowed to lop his head off, but I guess they recorded all that dialogue so gently caress you player you're stuck with him.

You can also leave Blackwall to rot in prison.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Pancho Jueves posted:

You can also leave Blackwall to rot in prison.

Yeah, if you don't finish the quest and let it sit in your journal forever. By that logic the conclave technically doesn't go nuclear if you never click "new game" at the main menu.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Esroc posted:

Yeah, if you don't finish the quest and let it sit in your journal forever. By that logic the conclave technically doesn't go nuclear if you never click "new game" at the main menu.

All bad things that happen in games are entirely because you choose to advance the plot. Otherwise the villain is happy to just kind of hang out while you play blitzball or seduce and elf or whatever. Who's the real bad guy?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alteisen posted:

This bug was still there on the Scholar of the First sin games to, it finally got fixed like 3 weeks ago.

I was under the impression this was only fixed for Scholar of the First Sin editions of the game.

There's a lot of problems I have with DaS2 but the weapon durability is the biggest one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Contrecoup posted:

All bad things that happen in games are entirely because you choose to advance the plot.
But I had to find Colonel Konrad!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Contrecoup posted:

All bad things that happen in games are entirely because you choose to advance the plot.

Not in every case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Golden Sun is not an inversion of that idea. If I remember right sometime in the second game there's a twist where you actually find out that not having done anything is the correct choice and the world is only put in jeopardy because you went on your journey in the first place.

I could also be misremembering. The Golden Sun games had a bad habit of rewriting history to suit the story writer's current needs.