Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

You should've named it

Joey was not long for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I finally witnessed it. What a glorious day!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

I finally witnessed it. What a glorious day!

Why were you watching me lance my boil?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A rocking chair with a sleeping 10 month old is just about the best weight in the world. He's so cuddly. :kiddo:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not as cute as a puppy/kitten.

Watched Mad Max for the second time today, wife agreed to it for my birthday. I love it even more now, and my wife that hates all movies has now researched every character and is talking about the symbolism and wishing for a sequel. That movie is goddamn amazing.

Now to sleep and go to work tomorrow on my birthday. 7 years in the navy, 6 either in boot camp, deployed, or on duty. Last year was my only year not at work, and I was at my in-laws. Birthdays are goddamn meaningless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Now to sleep and go to work tomorrow on my birthday. 7 years in the navy, 6 either in boot camp, deployed, or on duty. Last year was my only year not at work, and I was at my in-laws. Birthdays are goddamn meaningless.

I work a 'normal' job (i.e. not in the service) and typically work on my birthday unless it falls on a normal day off. So yea, adult birthdays are just another day for most of us I think.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good to hear they let you out. Now take care of yourself so you don't need to go back.

I might have to go back after seeing the bill :stonk:. I just looked at the patient portal, and my bill is finalized.

The hospital is in-network for my insurance. But none of the doctors I saw are, and my insurance doesn't pay a penny to out of network doctors, even in a hospital setting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

As long as no innocents ae caught in the crossfire. . .
If they're in a Crossfire, they're not truly innocent...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

some texas redneck posted:

I might have to go back after seeing the bill :stonk:. I just looked at the patient portal, and my bill is finalized.

The hospital is in-network for my insurance. But none of the doctors I saw are, and my insurance doesn't pay a penny to out of network doctors, even in a hospital setting.

:911:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gently caress your system is so broken it's not funny...

My god cat poo poo stinks... And mine appears to be about 50% bowel going by the size of the turds he's backing out.

Roll on a week and I can put the hood on his accursed poo poo box...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

I know how you feel. trying to cut back on all the booze, smokes and drugs, but the massive massive tax bill just drove me back into it. No way I can pay it when I'm unemployed with sadbrains.
At least every time I gently caress up and land in hospital it costs me nothing, and legit pills are $6.10 a pkt.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 25, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Maybe, but 30x60 will already push the budget. Due to the way the land is situated and how it will never ever get a building permit for residential use (I asked the inspector) I am pretty sure I can get the land dirt cheap, and if I play my cards right I think I can at least have a shell of a shop that size for under 20k if I do all the site work myself, then build the entire building myself too, basically.

A 40x60 would add 25% just to the concrete cost, which is probably the biggest line item.
I'd love to find a chunk of land like that to build on. I have the lot next to my house but it would have to be one steep as hell driveway to access it from the road and even worse coming from my main driveway. Concrete is expensive as hell. Doing all the prep work yourself helps a little bit but it's still going to be a huge chunk of the budget. Then add in parking aprons and watch the budget skyrocket.

That's the :911: way. It's stupid how much that poo poo costs.

The Locator posted:

So yea, adult birthdays are just another day for most of us I think.
Pretty much. At this point I might get together with some friends the weekend before or after but other than that it's just another day. On the upside free poo poo from a lot of restaurants if you feel like it.

Third day of E30 cooling system work, largely because I get sick of it and work on other poo poo after a few hours. Should just be topping off and making sure all the air is worked out today.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got sick of waiting for anyone to wake up, car was still at the hospital, and I haven't been able to sleep since midnight.

I have to walk about 2 miles to get to an "on demand" bus stop, which will then take me to a transit center, where I can finally connect to a real bus (about an hour and a half ride to get to the hospital). Checked the service schedule.. no service at all today. :doh: So a 4 mile walk to the nearest bus stop that would get me to the hospital. Which is only 5.5 miles away.

.... or find a coupon on Uber for a free ride, since I'd never used them. Didn't expect them to have any drivers working at 6am, but I had someone at my door in 5 minutes. 13 minute ride in a brand new Highlander that didn't cost me anything except a tip (which he tried to refuse).

Ferremit posted:

gently caress your system is so broken it's not funny...

My god cat poo poo stinks... And mine appears to be about 50% bowel going by the size of the turds he's backing out.

Roll on a week and I can put the hood on his accursed poo poo box...

:911: indeed. They haven't actually submitted it to insurance yet, so a lot of that will revert to the patient column.

And yeah, the only way to roll with a poo poo box is a really big one with a cover, in the most out of the way corner you can find. And liners, so that you don't have to scrub it every time you change it. And a second box somewhere in case he gets the shits and can't make it to the main box in time.

I keep a 2nd box in my bedroom, since my cat often sleeps with me. Covered, of course.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Are the Walmart EverStart Maxx batteries any good? Gonna pick up a battery somewhere on Wednesday after work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They're just another Exide or Johnson battery, except last I checked, they don't have the external vent setup you need for your car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

What the hell is the deal with the Silverado SS? They are AWD not 4x4. Weird.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are the Walmart EverStart Maxx batteries any good? Gonna pick up a battery somewhere on Wednesday after work.

Batteries in the US are made by 3 companies. Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls. Thats it.
THAT said, DieHards from Sears are decent and the warranty is pretty good.

I wouldnt gently caress with a wally world battery for STR's reason and sure as gently caress wouldnt let them install it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Had one that lasted all of a year and a half that I babied. Meanwhile the Costco one in my summer car that I let run flat for three straight winters was still going strong when I sold that car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Homeboy at AAP just tested my alternator and battery and they are both fine. Not good...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Homeboy at AAP just tested my alternator and battery and they are both fine. Not good...

Do (or have someone do) a parasitic draw test. Could be something really stupid like it thinks its doors are open or something.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The wierdest draw Ive ever seen was on my 87 Ram. It would kill the battery overnight it was so strong and it ended up being the horn circuit but the horn worked and wasnt beeping all night so I dont know what the gently caress.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Do (or have someone do) a parasitic draw test. Could be something really stupid like it thinks its doors are open or something.

He said it checked for that too. Looking at the print out it says the battery, alternator, and starter are all good. The only thing I can think of is the headlight wiring harness I replaced a couple weeks ago. But that was just 5 heatshrink butt connectors... Gonna check it out now anyways.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If it was a little black handheld unit, no it doesn't. We have the same one and I can promise you it doesn't.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Fart Pipe posted:

The wierdest draw Ive ever seen was on my 87 Ram. It would kill the battery overnight it was so strong and it ended up being the horn circuit but the horn worked and wasnt beeping all night so I dont know what the gently caress.

This reminds me of the convo we had at Kens house about rewiring someones brake pedal or turn signal to set off their horn :3:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He said it checked for that too. Looking at the print out it says the battery, alternator, and starter are all good. The only thing I can think of is the headlight wiring harness I replaced a couple weeks ago. But that was just 5 heatshrink butt connectors... Gonna check it out now anyways.

Sorry, but dude lied. Our units don't test for draws. Hell, the alternator test is only halfway decent too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

This Silverado SS AWD w/ a sunroof looks cool. Maybe I'll just trade this shitbox in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Why not just pull the battery and put it on a real load tester?

Or, you know, just give the Slobalt to me. If you've fixed the a/c anyway. I'll make sure it goes to a good home.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Bare bone old school electrical testing, fast and easy as hell, (poo poo old enough you weren't even born for - no doubt fancier kit is around these days (though in the hands of the clueless probably):
A hydrometer to check battery health.
A analog volt meter to check regulator
A shunt ammeter to check alternator and any drain.

E: there's other ways, this is just the easiest/dumbest ways.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 25, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quick ceiling fan wiring to two switches question:

I have two switches that control the ceiling fan/light from opposite ends of the room. From the ceiling, I have red (traveller), black, white and ground. My remote control unit (controls fan speed and light) for the fan has black, white, and ground.

Am i correct that the proper wiring procedure would be:
White from ceiling to white from control unit
Red plus black from ceiling to black from control unit
Ground from ceiling to ground from ground from control unit

Would this allow both switches to deliver power to the fan/light? I don't want one switch to control the fan and the other to control the light. This is assuming the three ways were wired correctly

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Just did a bike ride through Terry Hershey and George Bush parks in Houston with a gopro on a chest mount. I hope the videos come out okay, I sure had a blast!

I also made a 'driving to the park' video :getin:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Why not just pull the battery and put it on a real load tester?

Or, you know, just give the Slobalt to me. If you've fixed the a/c anyway. I'll make sure it goes to a good home.

Yea our shops quick tester is super unreliable and ive been burned by it before. Gives out 0 CCA for some batteries and shows 1190 for others gently caress that thing. But bosses like it cause it gives a print out that leaves customers in Aggros shoes. Holding a print out saying its good next to a dead car. Then I get the comeback and a pissed customer who thinks im completely incompetent.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This Silverado SS AWD w/ a sunroof looks cool. Maybe I'll just trade this shitbox in.

A bad decision

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Nodoze posted:

A bad decision

Why's that? Those and the Trailblazer SS are almost like modern day Cyclones/Typhoons. I've wanted a pickup truck for work for a few years now anyways and it seems like everything on my car is falling apart at ~130,000 miles. It's AWD and low to the ground which I think is cool. Ideally I'd like something AWD/4x4 with a stick but I think the newer Subarus are hideous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

From the new car thread, this is what you need to do:

Powershift posted:

Unfotunately, you can't get painted bumpers with guard green or caribou because ford are dicks, but for under 30 grand you can get a 2.7 ecoboost, sport appearance package with a locking 3.73

It should be around 800lbs lighter than the config that ran 5.7 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 mile. both of those numbers are better than the ecoboost mustang with either trans.

It's basically a $30k lightning.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Welp, chest mounts for driving videos suck. It's like a balls-eye view of driving. Ditto for cycling. Oh well, at least I got some exercize. Lifted, ran, and cycled today. Not being drunk all the time has some advantages :unsmith:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

leica posted:

From the new car thread, this is what you need to do:

Wow that's cool. About double my price range though. Looking to keep payments under $200/mo once I factor in my trade-in value and the 1.99% APR my credit union gave me last time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Preoptopus posted:

Yea our shops quick tester is super unreliable and ive been burned by it before. Gives out 0 CCA for some batteries and shows 1190 for others gently caress that thing. But bosses like it cause it gives a print out that leaves customers in Aggros shoes. Holding a print out saying its good next to a dead car. Then I get the comeback and a pissed customer who thinks im completely incompetent.

Yup. The quick testers at most shops say my battery is beyond dead and putting out less than 150 CCA.

... been starting the car just fine for nearly 2.5 years like that. I'm sure it's not in the best shape, especially with its age, but it's only needed a jump once after the headlights were left on for an hour (and it was just shy of being able to turn it over at that point). I actually just picked it up a few hours ago after letting it sit since Thursday, and it fired right up like it'd just been parked (I was expecting it to crank sluggish). I know it has a small engine, but I don't think 150 CCA would be enough to power the starter + ecu + fuel pump + headlights (they're automatic and come on as soon as I turn on the key if it's after dark).

The tester at AutoZone also says mom's battery is fine, even though her car almost always needs a jump immediately after they use that tester. Tried to get her battery warrantied all last year, going to just toss a Kirkland battery in it soon and call it good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
got to drive a S65 AMG yesterday :aaa:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just called up the AutoZone I usually go to and they have a load tester so I'll probably stop by after Mad Max gets out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Take the battery out and have them use the tester inside the store. Just trust me on this.

• Locked thread