Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The author of Armoured Commander has started a blog section of his website which he will be talking about his continuing work on the game.

Currently he seems to be redoing the campaign day map with slightly improved aesthetics and more sensible road layout generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, suffered my first major death in Caves of Qud. Was told to head on down to Golgotha to find and fix some droid. Ended up going down a one-way(?) stair that deposited me in some weird place where I was accosted by a seemingly unending tide of "Chute crabs". Tried to run and find an exit, but got trapped. 4 salve injectors, 2 fragmentation grenades, and I dunno-how-many shotgun shells later I was eaten alive by the drat things. :rip:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where can I get started on learning how to beat Crawl Light? I like how much they've streamlined many of the more esoteric aspects of a Roguelike, and I made it all the way to level 6 as a bog-standard Human Fighter before dying to a stupid mistake (did not yet know how to properly engage centaurs). Is the actual game straightforward enough that I can just play it as a hack-and-slash without having to worry about preparing to ascend or whatever?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm all zonked out on meds but I want to bang my head against something for a few hours, what's a simple roguelike that is a ton of fun?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
brogue, it even has pretty colors for you to look at

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where can I get started on learning how to beat Crawl Light? I like how much they've streamlined many of the more esoteric aspects of a Roguelike, and I made it all the way to level 6 as a bog-standard Human Fighter before dying to a stupid mistake (did not yet know how to properly engage centaurs). Is the actual game straightforward enough that I can just play it as a hack-and-slash without having to worry about preparing to ascend or whatever?

Is Crawl Light some weird variant of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Mattybee posted:

Is Crawl Light some weird variant of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

Yeah it's in the OP

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a fork from 0.8ish with the food clock replaced with glow costs, fewer floors, difficulty levels, squarelos, DoomRL style sidestepping, Brogue style monster chases and other stuff. It doesn't appear to have been updated in about a year.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

I'm all zonked out on meds but I want to bang my head against something for a few hours, what's a simple roguelike that is a ton of fun?

DoomRL :getin:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Necrodancer on drugs is probably even more fun than regular Necrodancer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

It's a fork from 0.8ish with the food clock replaced with glow costs, fewer floors, difficulty levels, squarelos, DoomRL style sidestepping, Brogue style monster chases and other stuff. It doesn't appear to have been updated in about a year.

Oh :( that's a shame. I liked how I didn't have to worry about food anymore and everything was auto-identified. I also thought the interface was super-spiffy and cool, but I suspect that's also because I hadn't looked at Stone Soup in maybe 3-4 years.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Necrodancer on drugs is probably even more fun than regular Necrodancer

I dunno, if they're too out of it then they might not be able to hit the beats reliably.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh :( that's a shame. I liked how I didn't have to worry about food anymore and everything was auto-identified. I also thought the interface was super-spiffy and cool, but I suspect that's also because I hadn't looked at Stone Soup in maybe 3-4 years.

As a melee character, you don't have to worry about food in DCSS anymore either. Corpses are so plentiful, you rarely have to eat any of your permanent food, and weight limits are removed, so you can carry around giant stacks of food anyway. Give it another shot, I think you'll like it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dunno, if they're too out of it then they might not be able to hit the beats reliably.

I can't even hit beats reliably sober. Especially the song on the first level/map of Zone 1. I can't understand why I can't get it down. :negative:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't even hit beats reliably sober. Especially the song on the first level/map of Zone 1. I can't understand why I can't get it down. :negative:

Have you done the display lag calibration?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yup. I just keep going too fast, especially for that first song. I'm used to slamming keys rapidfire in my roguelikes. :(

Probably doesn't help I've been playing all sorts of different roguelikes this last week thanks to the LP Megathread.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im playing the armored commander alpha 7 but i keep crashing so loving much. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its crashing? Never had it outright crash on me before. But I haven't yet tried Alpha 7. If you want, you could try reporting this to the dev at the ArmCom thread on the Temple of the Roguelike forums.

Here is a link to ArmCom Alpha 6.7 (last version I played), see if that still crashes or if its something he did in Alpha 7.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
6.7 works much better but you have to reset every order every single loving turn ugh

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Some orders are intended to reset. Perhaps Rev_Susudana could be convinced to make order resetting a toggleable option.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
no i mean in alpha 7 i get to keep the orders between turns when its logical to do so

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Since I've been on a bit of a Roguelike binge the last week or so, I'm looking for suggestions. What are some interesting non-fantasy Roguelikes out there? Stuff like Cataclysm, ArmCom, DoomRL, Invisible Inc, and Caves of Qud. They can be complex or simple, it doesn't matter, but after sampling Rogue, Brogue, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, ToME4 and the like I'm looking for something besides the semi-standard fantasy premise.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not 100% sure what Elona is, but it's not generic fantasy. There's also GearHead, which is like Shadowrun with robots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gearhead? The mecha Roguelike? I remember that from years ago, is that still around and in development?

And yeah, something "fantasy" that is very... different like Elona is can count too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not a traditional roguelike but Faster than Light is good

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CogMind is an RL where you're a robot and you attatch robo bits to your self instead of gear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gearhead? The mecha Roguelike? I remember that from years ago, is that still around and in development?

And yeah, something "fantasy" that is very... different like Elona is can count too.

There's another followup game that was worked on for a few months in 2010 and recently got a few commits and the forums have some patches for Gearhead Arena and Gearhead 2 that aren't on Sourceforge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Wafflecopper posted:

Not a traditional roguelike but Faster than Light is good
It really is. Just did a run today after not touching it for a while

:supaburn:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was listing some games and told myself "Oh I better include Invisible Inc or I know people will suggest it!". So, of course, I forget to mention FTL. :v:

dis astranagant posted:

There's another followup game that was worked on for a few months in 2010 and recently got a few commits and the forums have some patches for Gearhead Arena and Gearhead 2 that aren't on Sourceforge.

What are "The forums"? Temple of the Roguelike?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 26, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since I've been on a bit of a Roguelike binge the last week or so, I'm looking for suggestions. What are some interesting non-fantasy Roguelikes out there? Stuff like Cataclysm, ArmCom, DoomRL, Invisible Inc, and Caves of Qud. They can be complex or simple, it doesn't matter, but after sampling Rogue, Brogue, Dungeonmans, Sproggiwood, ToME4 and the like I'm looking for something besides the semi-standard fantasy premise.
Can't stop suggesting Elona+ being something to try out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was listing some games and told myself "Oh I better include Invisible Inc or I know people will suggest it!". So, of course, I forget to mention FTL. :v:

What are "The forums"? Temple of the Roguelike?

http://gearheadrpg.com/forum/index.php They're pretty dead, probably because the main site has been down for months.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 26, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks, I'll root around in there tomorrow maybe.

Turtlicious posted:

CogMind is an RL where you're a robot and you attatch robo bits to your self instead of gear.

Yeah, I played the 7DRL version a bit and it seems cool, but :30bux: is a bit too much compared to paying half that for stuff like Sproggiwood, Dungeonmans, and Invisible Inc and other similar products.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Unreal World is my perennial favourite and recommendation, it's set in old-timey Finland but doesn't have any fantasy elements, and like Cataclysm the focus is more on survival than fighting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Inadequately posted:

Unreal World is my perennial favourite and recommendation, it's set in old-timey Finland but doesn't have any fantasy elements, and like Cataclysm the focus is more on survival than fighting.

Technically it has the prayers to spirits, but that is only one itty bitty step up from totally non supernatural superstitions.

Totally fits what the dude is looking for though and is awesome.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thanks, I'll root around in there tomorrow maybe.

Yeah, I played the 7DRL version a bit and it seems cool, but :30bux: is a bit too much compared to paying half that for stuff like Sproggiwood, Dungeonmans, and Invisible Inc and other similar products.

Well the price is going to go down on release so unless you literally can't wait to play it right now waiting for the final product is what I'd recommend. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it but I have no interest in unfinished games anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I posted this in the LPRL thread last night as my third DoomRL update, but I need to crow about it in here a bit. :v:

YAAM:

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

ToxicFrog, level 14 Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant Marine,
 nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 149769 turns and scored 151054 points. 
 He played for 19 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 785 out of 785 hellspawn. (100%)
 This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!

He saved himself 4 times.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 11
  Levels completed : 11

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Conqueror Badge
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Hell Champion Medal

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [11/11] (100%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Trigun (3d6) [6/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Longinus Spear (8d8)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] missile launcher (6d6) [4/4] (T1)
    [b] high power nuclear plasma rifle (1d9)x6 [16/16]
    [c] nuclear BFG 9000 (9d6) [1/40] (P1)
    [d] BFG 9000 (10d6) [130/130] (B1)
    [e] powered red armor [5/5] (100%)

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 7 he assembled a piercing blade!
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical boots!
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  On level 9 he assembled a power armor!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he romped upon the Abyssal Plains.
  He slaughtered the beasts living there.
  On level 14 he assembled a gatling gun!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  Level 17 was a hard nut to crack!
  On level 17 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 17 he found the Longinus Spear!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  Level 18 blasted him with an unholy atmosphere!
  On level 19 he entered the Vaults.
  On level 19 he found the Trigun!
  He cracked the Vaults and cleared them out!
  On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter Limbo!
  On level 20 he found the Angelic Armor!
  On level 20 he assembled a high power weapon!
  He managed to clear Limbo from evil!
  On level 22 he arrived at Mt. Erebus.
  He managed to raise Mt. Erebus completely!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He activated the Angel Arm on level 24!
  He defeated the Mastermind and found the TRUE EVIL!
  He activated the Angel Arm on level 25!
  Then finally in Hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

-- Messages -------------------------------------------------- 

You enter the damned city of Dis... 
 Do you want to use the dangerous Angel Arm?? [y/n] 
 You activate the Angel Arm! Your life is drained! You hear an explosion! 
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>... 
 You feel relatively safe now. You ingenious son of a gun! You're as smart as 
 Hell itself! Press <Enter>... 
 But... something's wrong! You sense a menace, a threat so evil it kills your 
 mind! Was not all evil destroyed??? 
 There are stairs leading downward here. 
 This is it. This is the lair of all evil! What will you meet here? 
 Do you want to use the dangerous Angel Arm?? [y/n] 
 You activate the Angel Arm! Your life is drained! You hear an explosion! 
 Congratulations! You defeated John Carmack! Press <Enter>... 
 You feel relatively safe now. 
That's right: a 100% kills Conqueror run in which I nuked both the Spider Mastermind and John Carmack.

I've suspected it was possible for a while, but tricky -- you need the Lava Element and two nukes, one of which has a fast timer (so a nuclear energy weapon or the Trigun), and you need to activate the Mastermind so that you can run over to where the stairs appear before arming your first nuke and eating the Element.

When this game gave me a nuclear plasma rifle in the vaults, I decided to try it. When it gave me the Trigun on the same level, I decided it was fate.

Apparently the game agreed, because I didn't even need the Element; it spawned an invulnerability globe right next to the stairs down to the Mastermind, and then placed me near the stairs to Carmack when I entered the level. Shortest final bossfight ever -- walk down the stairs, Angel Arm, walk down the stairs, Angel Arm again, rule over my kingdom of radioactive ash.

This is also only my second YAAM, and my first ever Conqueror run. Yeah, it was on Normal difficulty, but I'm still pretty pleased with myself.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

What does the AM in YAAM stand for?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Inadequately posted:

Is there any up to date beginner's guide or let's play series for this? I haven't played since the dev made it free, and my one time purchased version was even older than that and didn't have all the new changes.

Last I remembered, making a million wooden bowls and tying up a cow for milk was the poo poo starting off?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dross posted:

What does the AM in YAAM stand for?

rear end-kicking Marine. It refers to the "This rear end-kicking marine killed all of them!" line in the dump if you finish the game with a 100% kill rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

moot the hopple posted:

Is there any up to date beginner's guide or let's play series for this? I haven't played since the dev made it free, and my one time purchased version was even older than that and didn't have all the new changes.

Last I remembered, making a million wooden bowls and tying up a cow for milk was the poo poo starting off?

Make it Wooden Tubs for storing milk (it has more capacity than a waterskin), and javelins hardened over a fire for trading. Not so sure about the second part, but they are easy to make with no skills.

Sadly, bulls do not produce milk anymore.