Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

purple hair is gross
the kids might be redheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What happens when red and purple mix together? Is that like magenta or fuschia?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

What happens when red and purple mix together? Is that like magenta or fuschia?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Sakura's hair was black before she started living with the Matous. The purple hair is from the worms, one of the few times anime hair color is actually explained by the story.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No that's what you'd think, but apparently it's actually still black. It's why nobody questions Sakura as to why her hair is bright purple.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where did Shinji's blue hair come from then?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Zouken

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Blue seaweed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Do not overthink anime hair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

here's zouken in his early years:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Zouken looks like lancer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

takeuchi only knows five different hairstyles

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're right otherwise Saber shoulda had a ponytail

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Saber Lily does.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's why Saber Lily was the best design until the UBW anime.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rodyle posted:

I don't understand exactly what more you want it to show. Unless you want all three routes to just do the Heaven's Feel Paladin Breaks Vows thing

I want it to to show some sort of concrete effect that renewing his ideals has on his life. How is he a different person after his encounter with Archer? What does this mean to him, or anyone else in his life? This is not a thing the story showed. For example, it could show him dying happy, like Fate showed Saber dying happy. This would indicate that he changed his life in such a way that he died happy. Instead it just ends up with him having sex with Rin forever and no mention of his ideals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

You're right otherwise Saber shoulda had a ponytail

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

That's why Saber Lily was the best design until the UBW anime.

Finally, something we can agree on. I got a big statue of Lily when I was in Tokyo last year for 200,000 yen. Worth every bit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can't believe there's been a Len sentai team but not a Saber one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saber's great and I will have no one tell me otherwise.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Instead it just ends up with him having sex with Rin forever

Living his life by my ideals

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Endorph posted:

here's zouken in his early years:

For some reason I can imagine him voice by Kaiki from 'Gatari.

I want more of this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

For some reason I can imagine him voice by Kaiki from 'Gatari.
that is a good choice, as shinji is voiced by araragi from 'gatari

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want more of this.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cute

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pony tail saber is good. I want an av of her instead of bazett now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

her name is heroine x and she's from the 2013 april fool's joke

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Move over Rin...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sylphid posted:

Nonsense. The best hair color.

Does Rider count as pink or purple? Cause whatever that is, it's the best.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Zouken looks like lancer

Would certainly explain his tragic as hell ending

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Having blue hair in type moon is a marker for failure or being reduced to a joke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hivac posted:

Having blue hair in type moon is a marker for failure or being reduced to a joke
ciel is cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
shinji is the only character who benefits from having his character reduced to it's archetype

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

shinji is the only character who benefits from having his character reduced to it's archetype

Not so, True Assassin benefits immensely from never being seen or heard from

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The best part of this is that her hat has a little hole for her ahoge to stick out.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

I want it to to show some sort of concrete effect that renewing his ideals has on his life. How is he a different person after his encounter with Archer? What does this mean to him, or anyone else in his life? This is not a thing the story showed. For example, it could show him dying happy, like Fate showed Saber dying happy. This would indicate that he changed his life in such a way that he died happy. Instead it just ends up with him having sex with Rin forever and no mention of his ideals.
I can understand why you want, (no, demand) a concrete example of it working out but that, in general, is not how stories work. A dragon is never actually a dragon in a story, and Gilgamesh is no different. Gilgamesh and his fight is the exact thing you're looking for, and just because it's done in metaphor doesn't make it any less real. In the story, Shirou's resolve is tested and he wins, he is going to die happy, fully accepting his ideal. The story did its job, even if you want more.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Twiddy posted:

I can understand why you want, (no, demand) a concrete example of it working out but that, in general, is not how stories work. A dragon is never actually a dragon in a story, and Gilgamesh is no different. Gilgamesh and his fight is the exact thing you're looking for, and just because it's done in metaphor doesn't make it any less real. In the story, Shirou's resolve is tested and he wins, he is going to die happy, fully accepting his ideal. The story did its job, even if you want more.

Who wrote the ten pages during the F/Z thread about the meaning behind the fight between Gilgamesh and Iskandar? Regarding the Horizon and Dreams and so on? UBW is supposed to be looked at with the same lens.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rodyle posted:

Not so, True Assassin benefits immensely from never being seen or heard from

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Clarste posted:

To be honest, my favorite scene in UBW is the one where Rin yells at him about how broken he is, right after Berserker dies. I found that far more satisfying and emotionally cathartic than the Archer scenes. Because he realizes that something's wrong with him, and that he's desperately clinging to this ideal for dear life. Going "yeah, but that's cool" afterward doesn't actually convince me that it's cool.

It's not my absolute favorite, but that's a really good scene, yeah. It establishes that Shirou's philosophy isn't even anything he's actively reasoned to himself, but instead sort of an unexamined obsession he's allowed to consume him without even realizing what he's losing in the process.

I'm not sure why you're assuming that UBW completely agrees with Shirou's philosophy however when Rin is not only never proved wrong, but is infact the primary heroine of the arc for that exact reason. UBW goes out of its way to say that Shirou's reckless heroism is a childish, impossible goal that will lead to a ludicrous amount of pain for him personally... but it's also a beautiful ideal that enriches the world by existing. Rin goes as far as to agree with that, even if she thinks living that way is twisted and he needs to be protected from himself.

Think of it as a companion piece to Saber in Fate route. Saber gave up her humanity for the sake of her kingship, and as a result accomplished only a fraction of what she wanted and bore unimaginable agony in the process. She would have been personally better off leaving the sword in the stone and staying a human girl, experiencing a human life. On the other hand, the ideal she represents is beautiful, and her legacy enriched the world around her even through failure. Ultimately, she decides that pain was worth it, and decides against removing a hero from history even if it means giving up any potential to be human.

The hero/human dichotomy and why neither choice is incorrect is a central theme of every route in Fate/Stay (even the mechanics of the Grail War invoke it: 1 selfish human, 1 selfless hero per pair). Hell, even in HF Shirou has to symbolically kill the hero him before he can settle down as a normal person. UBW is about reaffirming the importance of high ideals, but then it ends with Archer asking Rin to look after Shirou's humanity for him.

Twiddy posted:

This is in fact pretty much outright stated by Archer at the end of the True End.

His final conversation with Rin serves the same narrative purpose as Saber's death scene and the epilogue of Heaven's Feel. It reiterates the themes, makes clear the consequences of Shirou (or Saber in the case of Fate)'s choice, and lays to rest the demons they've been metaphorically struggling with throughout the story. Archer finally coming to peace with himself (literally) represents Shirou's understanding of what he'll end up doing to himself, and his decision that it's worth it to keep going even knowing that.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 26, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Continued from the anime thread:

Surprisingly Dope posted:

What's up with people in this thread hating Kiritsugu? He was much better then Shirou. His methods absolutely did work. The only reason he failed was because the true nature of the grail was hidden from him. He was badads, effective, and a much more compelling protagonist.

Kiritsugu could probably have done better if he'd been nicer to Saber, if nothing else. With Avalon and Command Spells, she could have taken out Kirei and Gil, and they wouldn't have wiped out most of humanity in so many of the Bad Ends. By his own utilitarian metrics, his methods are a failure.

Edit: One question that isn't really discussed in Zero: If Kiritsugu wished for world peace on an uncorrupted Grail, what would happen, and would it actually be a good thing? After all, wars and other forms of violence aren't like natural disasters; they exist as the result of human choices. It seems like the conflict in Apocrypha is going to revolve around an issue like that.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

please don't crosspost the trap post