Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I've already played through Deus Ex: Human Revolution three times across the regular release and the director's cut and I'm still finding new things on my latest playthrough:

-In the intro where Megan is walking you through the Sarif facility one of the scientists who talks to you has a unique artificial arm. Later in the game Tong, the leader of a gang that scavenges prosthetic limbs from corpses, if wearing that very same arm.

-The weak walls that are meant to be destroyed by punching through them with the strength augmentation can actually be destroyed by enough damage from explosive weapons or a pistol with the armor-piercing mod installed.

-When you go to a LIMB clinic for the first time if you leave without actually buying and installing a Praxis kit then David Sarif will message you and express disappointment that you didn't take advantage of the account he had set up for you.

-In Hengsha when you have to break into the hacker's apartment and access his hidden computer you're supposed to just climb in through a hole that was blasted in his wall since it's away from the guards in his apartment and is right near your objective. However they went to the trouble of making a hidden door that you can open by interacting with a stuffed toy in the apartment just to have a plausible "normal" way of accessing it before the police came and blew open the wall.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 06:05 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sleeveless posted:

I've already played through Deus Ex: Human Revolution three times across the regular release and the director's cut and I'm still finding new things on my latest playthrough:

-In the intro where Megan is walking you through the Sarif facility one of the scientists who talks to you has a unique artificial arm. Later in the game Tong, the leader of a gang that scavenges prosthetic limbs from corpses, if wearing that very same arm.

-The weak walls that are meant to be destroyed by punching through them with the strength augmentation can actually be destroyed by enough damage from explosive weapons or a pistol with the armor-piercing mod installed.

-When you go to a LIMB clinic for the first time if you leave without actually buying and installing a Praxis kit then David Sarif will message you and express disappointment that you didn't take advantage of the account he had set up for you.

-In Hengsha when you have to break into the hacker's apartment and access his hidden computer you're supposed to just climb in through a hole that was blasted in his wall since it's away from the guards in his apartment and is right near your objective. However they went to the trouble of making a hidden door that you can open by interacting with a stuffed toy in the apartment just to have a plausible "normal" way of accessing it before the police came and blew open the wall.

Isn't the first thing you list a plot point? As I recall, you head back to Hengsha to track the signal given off by the scientist's aug, only to find that Tong is having it attached to him.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

graybook posted:

Isn't the first thing you list a plot point? As I recall, you head back to Hengsha to track the signal given off by the scientist's aug, only to find that Tong is having it attached to him.

Yes, but I didn't realize that they had gone to trouble to include it in the game's opening even though it's a small detail a lot of people wouldn't remember 5-10 hours later when they roll up in Hengsha.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Another neat little thing in The Witcher 3 has to do with it's quest system and the notice boards. Like some RPGs, the main character Geralt can look at local notice boards to get work or a feel of the surrounds. Usually there's a bunch of little notices and you read them and take down. Some are obvious Witcher quests, asking for help killing a monster. Others are a little more broad, like one from a man who's wife disappeared into the woods. They don't always start a quest themselves, but give you direction on where to look for the person who posted the request or other hints. Then there are notices that read like, "My son died and we have no money for a funeral. We don't have a clean shirt to bury him in, a shovel to dig a hole or planks to build him a coffin." And my brain thought, "Well, I'll keep my eye out for this junk." But no. As far as I can tell, that's not a quest. There's not in-game explanation, but it makes sense that Geralt would have bigger fish to fry than some stupid fetch quest. He'll hunt the wild griffins, and Johnny Buckwheat can help you find your 8 wooden boards or whatever. It's a good way to build up a living world around the character without bogging the game down with peasant quests.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

more Witcher 3 fun, when you first rock into a village most of the peasants will be scared of you and guards are wary of you and make threats, because you're a heavily armed mutant albino. however as you complete quests and fulfil monster contracts the villagers will warm to you until the peasants are thanking you for your help and the guards are complimenting you on your skills. and then you head off to the next village and you're a pariah again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

Another neat little thing in The Witcher 3 has to do with it's quest system and the notice boards. Like some RPGs, the main character Geralt can look at local notice boards to get work or a feel of the surrounds. Usually there's a bunch of little notices and you read them and take down. Some are obvious Witcher quests, asking for help killing a monster. Others are a little more broad, like one from a man who's wife disappeared into the woods. They don't always start a quest themselves, but give you direction on where to look for the person who posted the request or other hints. Then there are notices that read like, "My son died and we have no money for a funeral. We don't have a clean shirt to bury him in, a shovel to dig a hole or planks to build him a coffin." And my brain thought, "Well, I'll keep my eye out for this junk." But no. As far as I can tell, that's not a quest. There's not in-game explanation, but it makes sense that Geralt would have bigger fish to fry than some stupid fetch quest. He'll hunt the wild griffins, and Johnny Buckwheat can help you find your 8 wooden boards or whatever. It's a good way to build up a living world around the character without bogging the game down with peasant quests.

The witcher 2's notice boards had things like this too. Some of the notices were quests and some of them were just flavor.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

More Witcher 3 - I signed up for a quest from a notice board in an area that seemed to be around my current (low) level, talked to the quest giver, and set off for the spooky mines to slay the beasts and get paid. I explore the mines, grabbing a shitload of loot and tracking the monster with my witcher senses until I find the boss. I prepare my swords and potions and tentatively walk in...only to get swarmed by adds and killed in one or two hits from the boss. "No worries," I think, reloading my save and starting to pull the adds down the corridor as slowly as possible. Unfortunately I get overwhelmed and killed again. And again.

Finally I check the quest log and it is recommended for twenty nine levels higher than I was at the time, and I had to high tail it out of the maze-like mine with a shitload of angry spider bug things on my tail.

Anyways it was a really cool experience and after a solid decade of games that do a better job of gating high-level content it's really refreshing to be able to go and get yourself in trouble way over your head...and the loot from the cave was totally worth the trouble anyway.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

re: PAYDAY 2 from like two pages ago, there's a grenade launcher with a flip-up sight in the game. The sight makes a little click every time it's flipped up or down, and it's actually audible to other players! Of course, this means that heists involving more than one goon with a grenade launcher are populated with a never-ending stream of clickclickclickclickclick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ryoshi posted:

More Witcher 3 - I signed up for a quest from a notice board in an area that seemed to be around my current (low) level, talked to the quest giver, and set off for the spooky mines to slay the beasts and get paid. I explore the mines, grabbing a shitload of loot and tracking the monster with my witcher senses until I find the boss. I prepare my swords and potions and tentatively walk in...only to get swarmed by adds and killed in one or two hits from the boss. "No worries," I think, reloading my save and starting to pull the adds down the corridor as slowly as possible. Unfortunately I get overwhelmed and killed again. And again.

Finally I check the quest log and it is recommended for twenty nine levels higher than I was at the time, and I had to high tail it out of the maze-like mine with a shitload of angry spider bug things on my tail.

Anyways it was a really cool experience and after a solid decade of games that do a better job of gating high-level content it's really refreshing to be able to go and get yourself in trouble way over your head...and the loot from the cave was totally worth the trouble anyway.

I really appreciate games that do this. Oblivion is the worst, while New Vegas is great for it.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really appreciate games that do this. Oblivion is the worst, while New Vegas is great for it.

"Psh, whatever. I can totally go straight north to New Vegas instead of down to Primm and around like a little bith."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ryoshi posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I didn't seek out the quest giver, but I was exploring and came upon the cave that the critters are in and saw that the quest updated. It scared me a bit because when I checked I saw that it was for level 33 and I was at lvl 4 after maybe 5 hours of playing. But I blundered in anyway, looking for gold and glory. It's neat in that the caverns are nice and open, and then you'll find a pool of water that you can dive in and find a whole 'nother area. It was very impressive.

But yeah, enemies start showing up, but they're scrubby and die in a few hits. "This quest must be marked wrong," I thought like a simpleton. Geralt starts giving me warnings about being prepared but nope, I got this. I march forward into a dark room, find a massive figure, panic, drink the wrong potion, run at the wall, get swarmed, actually hit the giant thing, then die in one hit from it's poison limbs. I tried a few more times in vain. When I come back in fifty hours I'm gonna leave with a trophy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Breakdown for the original Xbox has a truly convoluted story but it results in some really neat stuff. Quick summery:

For the first half of the game you have hallucinations and can hear voices talking about your progress and such and shrug it off as a side effect of your recovery from injecting the compound that lets you punch the bad guys (their bodies block bullets/explosions). Finally after a descent into the underground base the aliens come from and being unable to catch up with the advanced teams before they're wiped out you fight the alien boss Solus in a one on one punch fight which he starts off by sucker punching you with his super-human speed. After knocking him down he gets up and goes "Round 2" and promptly wrecks your poo poo. After losing this fight a nuke with the text "Game Over" written on it slams into the arena your fighting in and detonates. You then wake up from the coma you've been in since humanity lost the war where you've been in a simulator reliving your failure over and over again until your mind is fully healed and then and are sent out to get back to the nexus and defeat it and save the few remaining post apocalyptic humans by traveling back in time before you lost the fight.

What's interesting is that once you exit the simulator there are no more hallucinations in the game. In addition your HUD including health, energy, ammo, and key items disappears completely and can only be viewed by pausing the game. Once you top up on the compound that makes your enemies super powerful you're insanely powerful (block bullets, shoot hadokens, jump insanely high etc) so you absolutely wreck things that were huge time sinks like gigantic enemy fights, a maze of vertical plat forming, or blocked paths. Since you're progressing so much faster than the first time through you're able to rescue all the people who died the first time because you didn't make it in time. The rematch with Solus is also changed since you can now dodge his initial gut punch to his surprise and when he goes into round two to crush you you have your own counters which scares the hell out of him.

All this plus you can overeat and puke up cheeseburgers in first person.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Barudak posted:

In Breakdown for the original Xbox has a truly convoluted story but it results in some really neat stuff. Quick summery:

For the first half of the game you have hallucinations and can hear voices talking about your progress and such and shrug it off as a side effect of your recovery from injecting the compound that lets you punch the bad guys (their bodies block bullets/explosions). Finally after a descent into the underground base the aliens come from and being unable to catch up with the advanced teams before they're wiped out you fight the alien boss Solus in a one on one punch fight which he starts off by sucker punching you with his super-human speed. After knocking him down he gets up and goes "Round 2" and promptly wrecks your poo poo. After losing this fight a nuke with the text "Game Over" written on it slams into the arena your fighting in and detonates. You then wake up from the coma you've been in since humanity lost the war where you've been in a simulator reliving your failure over and over again until your mind is fully healed and then and are sent out to get back to the nexus and defeat it and save the few remaining post apocalyptic humans by traveling back in time before you lost the fight.

What's interesting is that once you exit the simulator there are no more hallucinations in the game. In addition your HUD including health, energy, ammo, and key items disappears completely and can only be viewed by pausing the game. Once you top up on the compound that makes your enemies super powerful you're insanely powerful (block bullets, shoot hadokens, jump insanely high etc) so you absolutely wreck things that were huge time sinks like gigantic enemy fights, a maze of vertical plat forming, or blocked paths. Since you're progressing so much faster than the first time through you're able to rescue all the people who died the first time because you didn't make it in time. The rematch with Solus is also changed since you can now dodge his initial gut punch to his surprise and when he goes into round two to crush you you have your own counters which scares the hell out of him.

All this plus you can overeat and puke up cheeseburgers in first person.

To summarize: Breakdown is a game that takes place in your mind in a simulation in an alternate universe in the future. All at the same time :catdrugs:

They really need to re-release it on a modern platform so more people can experience the sheer joy of taking an injection that turns you into Neo and Goku at the same time, jumping 20 feet straight up through the floor, and then freezing time and effortlessly beating the poo poo out of an army of monsters that had once been difficult to fight even one-on-one all while the normally subdued and atmospheric soundtrack cheers you on.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just got around to playing Never Alone, a charming little platformer that was free on PS4 last month. It's based on a Iñupiaq legend, and as you pass certain markers in the game you can pause and cut to well-done little short films about the people and their culture. Really cool.

The game is also incredibly cute... you swap between a young girl and her Arctic fox buddy, and the animations for both are adorable. If you let the game idle for a couple minutes, they curl up together and take a nap :3:.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Crow Jane posted:

I just got around to playing Never Alone, a charming little platformer that was free on PS4 last month. It's based on a Iñupiaq legend, and as you pass certain markers in the game you can pause and cut to well-done little short films about the people and their culture. Really cool.

The game is also incredibly cute... you swap between a young girl and her Arctic fox buddy, and the animations for both are adorable. If you let the game idle for a couple minutes, they curl up together and take a nap :3:.

One thing I really liked about that game is that, being a story-based indie platformer with two playable characters, I was afraid that it was going to try and kill one of them off to be depressing and serious and arty.

Instead two-thirds of the way through the game the fox is captured by the Manslayer and is killed, but in line with the Iñupiaq mythology that the game has been exposing you to rather than being a downer ending it's simply held up as a the start of a new chapter and for the rest of the game the now incorporeal fox companion is still playable and helps out by manipulating other spirits of nature. It was a really cool way of expressing their philosophy though gameplay.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Started a new file on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. It's essentially the "easy mode" of the series, and is the worst of them all, but does have little redeeming moments, especially when Victini shows up.

V-WHEEEEEEEEEEEL!!!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Tales of Xillia 2 does such a great job of just being an engaging, funny JRPG. The characters are fun (except Teepo. gently caress Teepo), the gameplay just feels right, and even the 'pay off your debt' gating of the story is actually a good way to make sure you're never in danger of being severely underleveled for what you need to do.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Tales of Xillia 2 does such a great job of just being an engaging, funny JRPG. The characters are fun (except Teepo. gently caress Teepo), the gameplay just feels right, and even the 'pay off your debt' gating of the story is actually a good way to make sure you're never in danger of being severely underleveled for what you need to do.

Teepo from BoF3 or is this a different one?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In The Witcher, you can set your medallion to react when Geralt is near monsters or sources of magic. If you set it to magic in Act II, then it vibrates violently when you're near a certain NPC. Later on, you find out that NPC is a mage with an illusion spell on. I thought the magic detect was only for Places of Power, so I was surprised about this little detail.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Barudak posted:

I talked about Breakdown in another thread and I forgot about the whole simulation thing. I had remembered it as time travel.

Prototype 2 may be a repetitious and easy game but MAN, you're playing as Carnage from Spider-Man and the level of power is nuts.
There are a lot of sections where shapeshifting stealth is an option. About 75% through the game you get a power called Bio-Bomb. It let's you pick someone up, inject them with a virus that causes them to explode and shoot out tendrils that grab people an objects and then violently pull them all in and explode.

In stealth you can Bio-Bomb people but that version has you walk by, quickly inject it into their skull and they slowly are consumed by the virus while screaming in agony before exploding. The AI is so dumb that you could stand right next to them without suspicion. So much fun to clear out a military lab by making every scientist detonate into an all-consuming gore nightmare while no soldier even begins to think it was you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Isn't there also a stealth ability where you can point to some other guy and go "Hey, it's him, the virus dude!" and have his buddies all freak out and hose him down with bullets?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't there also a stealth ability where you can point to some other guy and go "Hey, it's him, the virus dude!" and have his buddies all freak out and hose him down with bullets?

That was only in the first one, if I'm remembering right.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

John Murdoch posted:

That was in the first too.

I loved clearing out bases completely with stealth, but going full murdervirus on the last guy for a little satisfaction.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

They took out that and the air strike from the sequel but in turn gave you much better melee powers. The claws are how I imagine that Venom/Wolverine hybrid would have acted.

The tendrils power is neat. It's a short range giant fist of bio mass that looks like intestines and hair. When you hit a weak enemy, 2-4 tendrils shoot from your target in random directions, attach to a static object and pull the target apart but the body parts stay somewhat glued together by this stuff. After a quick assault, it looks like the Spider King from Hell shat over everyone and then flew away.
It's awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

They took out that and the air strike from the sequel but in turn gave you much better melee powers. The claws are how I imagine that Venom/Wolverine hybrid would have acted.

The tendrils power is neat. It's a short range giant fist of bio mass that looks like intestines and hair. When you hit a weak enemy, 2-4 tendrils shoot from your target in random directions, attach to a static object and pull the target apart but the body parts stay somewhat glued together by this stuff. After a quick assault, it looks like the Spider King from Hell shat over everyone and then flew away.
It's awesome.

Biobomb just adds to that. Biobomb is amazing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Well, I know what I'm finally playing through once I get home.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Teepo from BoF3 or is this a different one?

Very different. This is ToX Teepo:

Apologies if huge, I'm phone posting and can't tell if it resized properly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Isn't there also some bio bomb thing where you do a proper American Football style kick of some poor bastard and they go flying and then do all that explodey stuff?

Also it was fun shapeshifting into a granny and kicking rear end. Can't remember if that only worked in the first or not.

Aw, I really want a Prototype 3 now. To be honest, that happens every time I think of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In The Witcher 3 the flavor text is written by Dandelion, a bard friend of Geralt's. So you get a lot of commentary on standard RPG tropes where he makes fun of Geralt doing random poo poo for people and looting corpses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

Isn't there also some bio bomb thing where you do a proper American Football style kick of some poor bastard and they go flying and then do all that explodey stuff?

Also it was fun shapeshifting into a granny and kicking rear end. Can't remember if that only worked in the first or not.

Aw, I really want a Prototype 3 now. To be honest, that happens every time I think of it.

The drop kick is a Radnet bonus (that comes with every version now). You can kick rear end as the person you most recently ate but if you want to use your claws and poo poo, you go back to being Heller.
Granny can still punch a tank apart.

What get me is that you can only shift to the last person you ate but Heller can assume whatever person previously eaten for the sake of a cutscene. I have all their DNA, let me pick one to be my default! Gonna make this tea and then eat my neighborsd

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

In The Witcher 3 the flavor text is written by Dandelion, a bard friend of Geralt's. So you get a lot of commentary on standard RPG tropes where he makes fun of Geralt doing random poo poo for people and looting corpses.

Yeah, it gives a nice ring to even the most basic quest descriptions.

"And so, as always in need of coin, our Geralt readily accepted the contract. Actually I wonder, why is he in need of coin all the time, what does he even spend it on? Booze? Even more swords? Hairbands?"

:allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
An especially nice touch is that Dandelion will swing the post-quest text to something that sounds quite heroic, even if the actual truth was Geralt being money grabbing or incredibly selfish. I don't think I've seen a single quest description that vilifies the character for it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It was the same deal in Witcher 2 already as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, all of these Witcher 3 posts make me want to finally give 2 a shot (I tried 1, didn't care for the combat). Silly question, but does 2 have a lot of 'little things'?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, all of these Witcher 3 posts make me want to finally give 2 a shot (I tried 1, didn't care for the combat). Silly question, but does 2 have a lot of 'little things'?

Similar here. I did the tutorial bits and was incredibly turned off by the controls. Is 2 less janky?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
By far. It still has its issues, but the combat is far closer to something such as Bloodborne - in that it's based around evasion and parrying more than just blocking stuff - and is more skill based. The original tutorial was absolutely dreadful but they patched it up so it teaches you a lot more in a much smoother manner.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Combat in Witcher 2 is definitely not what you'd call smooth. I personally thought it was at least as janky as 1, but in different ways.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I beat Witcher 1, but I honestly can't stand trying to play Witcher 2.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anarchy Reigns is a huge, huge disappointment and I regret wasting money on the rental. But its sorta-predecessor MadWorld is absolutely lovely for one important reason: the running commentary. I would pay any amount of money to have John DiMaggio and Greg Proops comment on every game.

"I can tell you from experience that those Happy Pills work even better if you grind them up and inject them into the folds of your scrotum."
"I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better if you grind it up and inject it into the folds of your scrotum."
"Ha-haaah! You got me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel like I'm missing something. Are these games or a fever dream?