Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm presuming they're doing that simply because Netflix doesn't release viewing figures for their shows since they calculate them in-house and don't need to publicize them or put them through a third party of any kind, so that's as close to viewing figures as sites can get. The fact it has a higher quality ranking than some well loved shows is about the only kind of story they can make out of it, so they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Azhais posted:

So by "highest rated" they just mean "number of stars people have assigned to it" not "most watched" as "ratings" usually means in the context of TV.

All that article is saying is that the netflix users voted it gold

Yes. And I don't think anyone really takes star ratings seriously. They're kind of like IMDB ratings in that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sorry, are you implying Interstellar is not the 26th greatest film of all time?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Sorry, are you implying Interstellar is not the 26th greatest film of all time?

Add another digit to that number and we can talk.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Deadpool posted:

Add another digit to that number and we can talk.

The 026th greatest film of all time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think The Dark Knight was like #2 at some point.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Yes. And I don't think anyone really takes star ratings seriously. They're kind of like IMDB ratings in that way.

This Is Spinal Tap would like to argue.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It was #1 for a long time.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

This Is Spinal Tap would like to argue.

So its at #11?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Edit: I've probably watched about as many episodes of HoC as there are of Daredevil. While Daredevil has significant chunks of screen time devoted to action scenes, HoC is entirely conversations, and yet I know a lot more about the characters in Daredevil and find them a lot more interesting than the characters in HoC. The protagonist of HoC literally talks directly to the audience to "explain" things to us, and yet there's just not a lot there.

House of Cards was absolutely great up until the third season.

What happened in the third season wasn't immediately apparent, but the main character basically went from a master manipulator with clear plans and strategies to a complete incompetent boob trying to push a lovely sub-par bill. To put in perspective the second he brought up his dumb idea for employment I was going "Oh man, I wonder what kind of long term scam this is to turn his enemies on each other?" only.. it never comes. Ever. He goes from a force of nature to completely incompetent pussy the second he gets what he wants.

Definitely one of those shows where it builds up so momentum it took me a lot of episodes to realize it was all deflating. Here's to hoping Daredevil stays awesome by it's third season.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd argue it does belong in the top 50 at least.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

House of Cards was never good since it always felt like Underwood was in cheat code mode and could always get the opposition to exactly do what he wanted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

House of Cards was absolutely great up until the third season.

What happened in the third season wasn't immediately apparent, but the main character basically went from a master manipulator with clear plans and strategies to a complete incompetent boob trying to push a lovely sub-par bill. To put in perspective the second he brought up his dumb idea for employment I was going "Oh man, I wonder what kind of long term scam this is to turn his enemies on each other?" only.. it never comes. Ever. He goes from a force of nature to completely incompetent pussy the second he gets what he wants.

Definitely one of those shows where it builds up so momentum it took me a lot of episodes to realize it was all deflating. Here's to hoping Daredevil stays awesome by it's third season.

It was slowly revealed that he used it as a way to actually get elected.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Once you get past a threshold of "not bad" it's all subjective anyway. Those kinds of lists are just good for finding great movies you've missed, and who cares if The Third Man is at #3 or #23 as long as it gets your attention.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only just finished the series now and I'd been meaning to get around to it.

Did the moralizing from Foggy about how Matt might end up turning out just as bad as Fisk make anyone else roll their eyes when it started getting laid on in the tenth episode? I was really waiting for him to cut him off by starting off with 'Okay, first off. I'm not going to start kidnapping people and selling them. I'm also not going to have a daughter and start molesting her either/ start a criminal empire with the Yakuza.'

It just felt so obviously done before and unnecessary since we all know he's not gonna go from 'I wanted to kill Fisk when I saw him' to 'Wow, how'd I end up decapitating people with car doors?'

Also, Fisk really felt like a man-child that couldn't handle not being in control of things but I feel like that might be a bit unfair to say for some reason. :/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blazing Ownager posted:

The plan was to get his wife experience and get re-elected so there can be four terms of the Underwoods.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I only just finished the series now and I'd been meaning to get around to it.

Did the moralizing from Foggy about how Matt might end up turning out just as bad as Fisk make anyone else roll their eyes when it started getting laid on in the tenth episode? I was really waiting for him to cut him off by starting off with 'Okay, first off. I'm not going to start kidnapping people and selling them. I'm also not going to have a daughter and start molesting her either/ start a criminal empire with the Yakuza.'

It just felt so obviously done before and unnecessary since we all know he's not gonna go from 'I wanted to kill Fisk when I saw him' to 'Wow, how'd I end up decapitating people with car doors?'

Also, Fisk really felt like a man-child that couldn't handle not being in control of things but I feel like that might be a bit unfair to say for some reason. :/

One of the central themes of the show is about boundaries and about what crossing certain lines does to people. Fisk and Matt are not very different, and while "we're not so different, you and I' is a major cliche, the show rises above it by actually making it true and exploring it in depth. Again, I go back to the priest's poisoned fountain parable, and how that's a perfect encapsulation of the major theme of the show.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

zoux posted:

One of the central themes of the show is about boundaries and about what crossing certain lines does to people. Fisk and Matt are not very different, and while "we're not so different, you and I' is a major cliche, the show rises above it by actually making it true and exploring it in depth. Again, I go back to the priest's poisoned fountain parable, and how that's a perfect encapsulation of the major theme of the show.

Yeah, personally, I enjoyed the Murdock v Nelson episode a whole lot and thought they did a good job of framing Foggy's concerns in a rational manner and making them personal to Foggy. The idea that Fisk and Matt were in fact very well set up to be almost the same person with the same end goals and almost the same means (the use of force) just in pursuit of different principles is part of it. The other part is that Foggy wasn't just upset that Matt was a vigilante or was ready to kill someone, in and of itself. He was upset that he and Matt had, seemingly, dedicated their lives to being agents of the law, and that what Matt was doing, while perhaps morally commendable, was legally problematic, to put it lightly, and went against the fundamental principles on which Foggy believed (with the help of Matt's impassioned arguments, no less) they had based their lives. Like, yeah, he probably has a little ground to feel betrayed even if he doesn't disagree 100% with what Matt is doing in his spare time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Habibi posted:

Yeah, personally, I enjoyed the Murdock v Nelson episode a whole lot and thought they did a good job of framing Foggy's concerns in a rational manner and making them personal to Foggy.

In other shows that could have been a groaner, a plot-stopping episode morality play.

But they managed to make it one of the best of the whole season. I definitely applaud the writers for managing that.

Habibi posted:

Like, yeah, he probably has a little ground to feel betrayed even if he doesn't disagree 100% with what Matt is doing in his spare time.

Plus the fact Matt might as well be able to "see" and has let Foggy believe he was blind this whole time. I can see why that would piss off someone close to you.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 26, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Yeah that whole thing was pretty cool, the bit about Matt playing along when foggy lied was brilliant, I wonder if even the great dd comic writers though about that (not that I remember)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

In other show that could have been a groaner, a plot-stopping episode morality play.

But they managed to make it one of the best of the whole season. I definitely applaud the writers for managing that.

Plus the fact Matt might as well be able to "see" and has let Foggy believe he was blind this whole time. I can see why that would piss off someone close to you.

Yeah I don't remember it word for word but Matt being "well it's similar to sight" and Foggy being all "oh go gently caress yourself" was perfect.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah I don't remember it word for word but Matt being "well it's similar to sight" and Foggy being all "oh go gently caress yourself" was perfect.

"Yeah, world on fire, whatever, gently caress you!"

....I may have paraphrased. It was a great episode.

etalian posted:

House of Cards was never good since it always felt like Underwood was in cheat code mode and could always get the opposition to exactly do what he wanted.

This is the problem that I have with most "clever protagonist" shows (I'm looking at you, Sherlock), where there's not a lot of real tension or good drama, because almost no matter what happens, "it was part of the plan all along". I just got to the part where Frank murders Peter. Which is super lame, because Peter was actually the most interesting character on the show. Now that he's gone there's no characters I can emotionally invest in. Also I guess Claire's charity just dropped of the face of the show when she ditched Frank to go hangout with totally whipped McArtist?

edit: More HoC like I thought maybe Claire would feel guilty when she found out Peter "killed himself" since she torpedoed his bill on purpose to spite Frank.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

"Yeah, world on fire, whatever, gently caress you!"

....I may have paraphrased. It was a great episode.

This is the problem that I have with most "clever protagonist" shows (I'm looking at you, Sherlock), where there's not a lot of real tension or good drama, because almost no matter what happens, "it was part of the plan all along". I just got to the part where Frank murders Peter. Which is super lame, because Peter was actually the most interesting character on the show. Now that he's gone there's no characters I can emotionally invest in. Also I guess Claire's charity just dropped of the face of the show when she ditched Frank to go hangout with totally whipped McArtist?

edit: More HoC like I thought maybe Claire would feel guilty when she found out Peter "killed himself" since she torpedoed his bill on purpose to spite Frank.

HOC spoiler His death was an important part of their plan as it gets rid of the VP

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kingcom posted:

So its at #11?

:golfclap:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought season 1 of HoC was amazing, because there was mystery. You know Frank was going to pull a powerplay, but you don't know what exactly, not at first. That's what was missing from season 2, which was okay but not as good, once you're VP there's only one job promotion left. It's a shame they only made two seasons of that show and SHUT UP LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I feel like a lot of people decided early on, AV Club in particular, that House of Cards was gonna be some sort of redemption story of the scrappy kid from Philly turned snorting whoring politician, and were mad when that didn't happen. I think what we got was better.

Instead of making more House of Cards seasons, they just need to make Freddie the Whitehouse Grounds Keeper Tells it Like it is: The Show.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Possible spoilers for season 2: Two audition tapes leaked of different actresses auditioning for Elektra. They've been pulled. There were two sets of dialogue, one involving Elektra talking to someone labeled "thug" and the other obviously a college-age flashback with her and Matt

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RareAcumen posted:

That actually ends up happening by the way. Twice. Doubt the tv show would ever get to it, although they do have Netflix shows planned for about half the players in Shadowland which is frightening. Shadowland must never be covered. The other instance of him doing it isn't much better, but at least it's an amusing premise.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

Yeah, personally, I enjoyed the Murdock v Nelson episode a whole lot and thought they did a good job of framing Foggy's concerns in a rational manner and making them personal to Foggy. The idea that Fisk and Matt were in fact very well set up to be almost the same person with the same end goals and almost the same means (the use of force) just in pursuit of different principles is part of it. The other part is that Foggy wasn't just upset that Matt was a vigilante or was ready to kill someone, in and of itself. He was upset that he and Matt had, seemingly, dedicated their lives to being agents of the law, and that what Matt was doing, while perhaps morally commendable, was legally problematic, to put it lightly, and went against the fundamental principles on which Foggy believed (with the help of Matt's impassioned arguments, no less) they had based their lives. Like, yeah, he probably has a little ground to feel betrayed even if he doesn't disagree 100% with what Matt is doing in his spare time.

Yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job with it, considering that a lot of the arguments Foggy makes are more personal than principled. And up until 5 minutes before the end of the previous episode Foggy thought Daredevil was a terrorist who was responsible for Foggy going to the hospital a few days earlier. So it was basically Foggy being pissed about being lied to for several years by his best friend, plus blaming Matt for sending him to the hospital several days earlier, even if it was because of the Russians.

As for HoC chat, I was turned off by the fact that Frank Underwood's big scheme to rise to power in S1 was an education bill that screwed over the teacher's unions for unexplained reasons beyond that is somehow a brilliant political move that was never explained. Democrats don't go picking fights with their union base like that without an amazingly good reason, like maybe some horrible sex scandal. Republicans like Scott Walker can run on union busting, but not Democrats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

That actually ends up happening by the way. Twice. Doubt the tv show would ever get to it, although they do have Netflix shows planned for about half the players in Shadowland which is frightening. Shadowland must never be covered. The other instance of him doing it isn't much better, but at least it's an amusing premise.

Were they criminals or people who were ostensibly supposed to be on his side?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

thrakkorzog posted:

As for HoC chat, I was turned off by the fact that Frank Underwood's big scheme to rise to power in S1 was an education bill that screwed over the teacher's unions for unexplained reasons beyond that is somehow a brilliant political move that was never explained. Democrats don't go picking fights with their union base like that without an amazingly good reason, like maybe some horrible sex scandal. Republicans like Scott Walker can run on union busting, but not Democrats.
I'm pretty sure one of his goals was to undermine the president.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

I really want to see your opinion of S3 (in the House of Cards thread, of course).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Possible spoilers for season 2: Two audition tapes leaked of different actresses auditioning for Elektra. They've been pulled. There were two sets of dialogue, one involving Elektra talking to someone labeled "thug" and the other obviously a college-age flashback with her and Matt

Do you know who the actresses were?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

zoux posted:

Do you know who the actresses were?

Shiva Kalaiselvan (no movie or TV credits) and Louisa Mignone (Wish You Were Here).

More info here: http://ap.ign.com/daredevil-season-one/89779/news/looks-like-elektra-is-in-daredevil-season-2

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So they're really pushing that whole Greek thing, huh?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RareAcumen posted:

Were they criminals or people who were ostensibly supposed to be on his side?

Little of column A, little of column B. On the semi-regular occasions Matt snaps, he tends to really snap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Elecktra Natchios

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Inkspot posted:

It is not exactly terrible that they are trying to cast someone who at least looks (to American viewers) like the ethnicity that she's supposed to be. On the other hand, a casting call for "exotic" women is a little racist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. On the semi-regular occasions Matt snaps, he tends to really snap.

Wow, what a mess.

dj_clawson posted:

It is not exactly terrible that they are trying to cast someone who at least looks (to American viewers) like the ethnicity that she's supposed to be. On the other hand, a casting call for "exotic" women is a little racist.

Would it be alright if they were looking for specific races, like putting it out that they're looking for Slavic people to play a specific role? Or is it just if you put it out that you're looking for "exotic" people bluntly like that?

Explain it to me like I'm a moron. :downs:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 28, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Exotic isn't even the word you use for Greek.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, what a mess.

Would it be alright if they were looking for specific races, like putting it out that they're looking for Slavic people to play a specific role? Or is it just if you put it out that you're looking for "exotic" people bluntly like that?

Explain it to me like I'm a moron. :downs:

I guess they couldn't put "not white, but not not white" on the casting notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aphrodite posted:

Exotic isn't even the word you use for Greek.

"Mediterranean," probably.